Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

A challenge for the economics-challenged out there. Name one thing that's inaccurate about the graph. You can't, probably because you don't understand it.

dude you're going to make me cry, stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

dude you're going to make me cry, stop

So far the "economics lolz" crew is 0/1.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JeffersonClay posted:

A challenge for the economics-challenged out there. Name one thing that's inaccurate about the graph.

It has neither units nor scale, it is literally incapable of being accurate in any way.

Edit

quote:

Labeling the axes with specific units would make it less useful.

Haha, holy poo poo I'm dying.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Who What Now posted:

It has neither units nor scale, it is literally incapable of being accurate in any way.

Sure but that means you can't *prove* it wrong either, checkmate. :pseudo:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That graph is just a restatement of your previous argument "well what about a $100/hr minimum wage, riddle me that liberals" and says nothing at all about the claim that you are actually making: that $15/hr hurts the poor overall.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

A challenge for the economics-challenged out there. Name one thing that's inaccurate about the graph. You can't, probably because you don't understand it. If that's too hard, you can post what wage you think is represented by the green and red lines.

There's nothing innaccurate about that graph because it's not falsifiable because it's an argument and not a graph....it has no data. Which is why I called you Laffer.

If that went over your head, maybe you shouldn't be condescending about economics knowledge? Here's a hint: Everyone here understood exactly what you were saying, but the post was still dumb.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Is JeffersonClay suggesting that the minimum wage should in fact not be $15 billion a second? That's some shocking level headed common sense right there, America needs more of it imo.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Is JeffersonClay suggesting that the minimum wage should in fact not be $15 billion a second? That's some shocking level headed common sense right there, America needs more of it imo.
I know, the minimum wage should be $15 billion per second per second. Accelerating minimum wage ahoy.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
if we raised the minwage to $15bil/s then poor people would be even poorer. It's science.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
how do you guys know 15/bil a second wasnt to the left of the optimal point on his graph

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

how do you guys know 15/bil a second wasnt to the left of the optimal point on his graph

well if you look at the underlying data you'll see

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Edit

Haha, holy poo poo I'm dying.

The shape of that curve will hold true for every labor market. It's totally accurate.

0/2

Zeitgueist posted:

There's nothing innaccurate about that graph because it's not falsifiable because it's an argument and not a graph....it has no data. Which is why I called you Laffer.

If that went over your head, maybe you shouldn't be condescending about economics knowledge? Here's a hint: Everyone here understood exactly what you were saying, but the post was still dumb.

Considering I was using the graph to demonstrate visually a point that another poster did not understand, I don't think you're right. 0/3
You could falsify it by arguing it's the wrong shape. That you cannot implies that it was correct.

VitalSigns posted:

That graph is just a restatement of your previous argument "well what about a $100/hr minimum wage, riddle me that liberals" and says nothing at all about the claim that you are actually making: that $15/hr hurts the poor overall.

It wasn't intended to offer any sort of argument about where the maximum and zero point are. Indeed, these points are different for each labor market. That's why there are no units! It was also intended to show that a living wage is irrelevant to the benefits maximizing point on that graph -- an argument you still seem incapable of grasping.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 2, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

The shape of that curve will hold true for every labor market. It's totally accurate.

Prove it.

quote:

Considering I was using the graph to demonstrate visually a point that another poster did not understand, I don't think you're right. 0/3

You're not exactly working above anyones level here.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Prove it.

You're not exactly working above anyones level here.

OK. The curve must start at 0,0 because there can't be any benefit to the poor from no minimum wage. The curve must eventually pass below zero because "everyone agrees" (except the poster I was trying to illuminate) there is some point where the minimum wage is too high and the impact will be net negative. There must exist some maximum in-between these two points where the minimum wage provides the most benefit. If you think the graph could be discontinuous or that there could be multiple maxima you'd need an argument as to why.

What else could it possibly look like?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

Economic impact.

We can have this discussion again if you want. I don't advise it for you.

i will destroy your feeble arguments with my sword of logic, should you be foolish enough to stand against me.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

JeffersonClay posted:

If you think the graph could be discontinuous or that there could be multiple maxima you'd need an argument as to why.

so you need no argument as to why your drop off is steeper than the come up? or you know, for anything that graph says other than literally "making the minimum wage infinity would be bad"

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
So the ideal minimum wage lies between zero and infinity dollars? I believe it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"what if wages, but too much" -JeffersonClay

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

so you need no argument as to why your drop off is steeper than the come up? or you know, for anything that graph says other than literally "making the minimum wage infinity would be bad"

Is that the extent of your quibble?
1) Making the drop off less-steep would actually imply the wage which maximizes benefits would be lower so I don't really understand this critisism.
2) The graph also demonstrates that there is no connection between a living wage and a benefit-maximizing wage.
3) The graph also demonstrates that there levels of minimum wage where overall benefits are positive but not maximized, and thus where the poor would actually benefit from lowering the minimum wage.

0/4 keep trying guys!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I am dying, send halp

0/4

Edit: goddamn it 0/5

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
JeffersonClay why would you have the audacity to post a graphic which I cannot identify a single problem with hahahah lolz mspaint

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pauline Kael posted:

So if you're in a union, $12 an hour is a livable wage? If not, then why should Unions be exempt?

because union negotiated a $0 deductible health plan for $12/hr.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JeffersonClay posted:

0/2

A compelling arguments but consider this; nuh-uh!

JeffersonClay posted:

A graph's sole purpose is to visually represent numbers. As you somehow forgot to include any numbers what you made isn't a graph, it's a drawing, and it's going right up on the fridge.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

JeffersonClay posted:

Is that the extent of your quibble?
1) Making the drop off less-steep would actually imply the wage which maximizes benefits would be lower so I don't really understand this critisism.
2) The graph also demonstrates that there is no connection between a living wage and a benefit-maximizing wage.
3) The graph also demonstrates that there levels of minimum wage where overall benefits are positive but not maximized, and thus where the poor would actually benefit from lowering the minimum wage.

0/4 keep trying guys!

Your graph means gently caress all sans data. Its great that is represents concepts, it really is, but unless you have data that backs up the shape of your graph, representing a concept is all it does. You cannot then make an assertion that the shape of the graph holds true for all labor markets. That is why people are chewing you out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JeffersonClay posted:

JeffersonClay why would you have the audacity to post a graphic which I cannot identify a single problem with hahahah lolz mspaint

Not actually being a graph seems to be a pretty huge issue to me.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

A graph's sole purpose is to visually represent numbers. As you somehow forgot to include any numbers what you made isn't a graph, it's a drawing, and it's going right up on the fridge.

A graph's sole purpose is to visually represent the relationship between two (or more) variables. You can make graphs without numbers which still communicate the relationship.

http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/microeconomics-principles-v2.0/s24-02-nonlinear-relationships-and-gr.html

Sinnlos posted:

Your graph means gently caress all sans data. Its great that is represents concepts, it really is, but unless you have data that backs up the shape of your graph, representing a concept is all it does. You cannot then make an assertion that the shape of the graph holds true for all labor markets. That is why people are chewing you out.

No, you're wrong. Representing a concept is all I was attempting to do. If anyone can suggest a plausible shape that is distinct from the one I sketched, feel free (you can't).

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 2, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
0/7

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm just embarassed for all of you. how ignorant

0/8

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm more annoyed that your pointless thread making GBS threads has, once again, delayed actual discussion about the minimum wage but lovely posters gonna poo poo, I guess.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm more annoyed that your pointless thread making GBS threads has, once again, delayed actual discussion about the minimum wage but lovely posters gonna poo poo, I guess.

0/9

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
All these people are saying my posts are bad, but what if... what if their posts are bad?

*furiously begins sketching graph*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I think the best part of this is where he assumed that the living wage just floats around, like the fairies from Zelda or something. Now we're 0/10 :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this is my posting itt

*slide whistle noise ascending*

and this is your posting itt

*slide whistle noise descending*

let's hear that again

my posts

*noise sounds happy*

your posts

*noise sounds sad*

i hope i don't have to dumb this down for you even more, but, hell, let's face it, i probably will

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Popping in. What's going on here? :chanpop:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Shitposting rabidly is one thing but framing yourself as some freewheeling rich guy just ups the mom's basement quotia to toxic levels.

:swoon:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i hope i don't have to dumb this down for you even more, but, hell, let's face it, i probably will

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

No, you're wrong. Representing a concept is all I was attempting to do.

OK, now show your concept works, with data.

We'll wait. :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Popping in. What's going on here? :chanpop:

0/11

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Whatre we xounting ? Numbers confuse me, could you draw a conceptual graph?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

holy poo poo... the post history burn, it's too hot! my eyes are melting!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

JeffersonClay posted:

A graph's sole purpose is to visually represent the relationship between two (or more) variables. You can make graphs without numbers which still communicate the relationship.

http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/microeconomics-principles-v2.0/s24-02-nonlinear-relationships-and-gr.html

No, you're wrong. Representing a concept is all I was attempting to do. If anyone can suggest a plausible shape that is distinct from the one I sketched, feel free (you can't).

• Locked thread