Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phummus posted:

Tommy DiNic's is indeed a fantastic sandwich. Had the roast pork with sharp provalone and broccoli rabe for brunch.

unf, would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Thanks! I've got a bit of a bottle of white that's past it. I'll give it a shot.

With the exception of pr0k's, mothers do eventually wear out. You should be able to get a few batches out of it before that happens, though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just had someone describe my technique as "Inventive"

Said technique is LITERALLY sticking potatoes into campfire coals until they're done.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
A modern day Prometheus.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kids at Boy Scout camp throwing foil-wrapped packets of food into the fire are budding masters of the culinary arts

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Swagger Dagger posted:

Kids at Boy Scout camp throwing foil-wrapped packets of food into the fire are budding masters of the culinary arts

This, but unironically. Learning camp cooking started me down the road that now has me doing pate de campagne sous vide on a weekend because I felt like it, or curing my own olives because the tree at work had fruit and nobody else wanted it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Dear LJ,
So I saw this lovely post on Facebook, and did what I swore I'd not do: I let it get to me. There's this overall contempt and hatred for poor people that gets exhausting to deal with. I've heard people talking out of both sides of their mouth about the issue. On the one hand, anyone who uses any government program ever is automatically a "lazy mooch". Meanwhile, there's the whole discussion about how people who work in fast food, or as dishwashers, or various other crap jobs that nobody is rushing to do, deserve to make the shittiest amount of money possible. That there are all these well paying jobs that crop up magically for everyone, in the field that you have your college degree in, waiting for you. That somehow, working at a fast food joint is a loving choice that any sane person would make, so therefore they deserve to have so little money that they can hardly feed themselves, much less their family.

So if you're working, but unable to make ends meet, you're lazy, and are bringing on the crime of being poor on yourself. If you make it known that you'd like to make more money, you get some bullshit response about going to college or some poo poo. Hey, fucker. I WENT to college. I got my degree. I've now got a fairly nasty debt that I'm going to have a hard time repaying. Repaying with the job where I don't make that much money in the first place. Also, husband and I need to find a new apartment to live in shortly, where HALF my pay will end up going to pay the rent, pretty much anywhere we end up. And this is with me making OVER $15 an hour. And that's with just me and Steve. I can't even think of the lovely choices that people have to make if they have kids, and are making less than even I'm making.

I like my work, don't get me wrong. My boss is a sweet man. I like my commute (it's barely 30 minutes, door to door). I love my husband. I'm making more money now than I've ever made in my life. Let that sink in. To me, this is RICH. I'm making three times what my dad did when we first came to this country. I'm just tired and whiny, because that nasty attitude towards poor people gets exhausting, because I've faced it all my life. It sucks to have the world assume that you're dumb, or lazy, or somehow asking for the lovely situation that you're in.

Also, I don't sleep so well when Puppy is out of town. I got to sleep at like 3 AM, and got up at 5:30.

Thankfully, I'm headed to Philly (I love that city). I'll be seeing Puppy once he's done with his conference for the day. And also Phummus. WHOOO!

A. that's way too many words (before reading them)
B. don't take stuff so personally
C. you seem like a great guy who should be very proud of his accomplishments, but in reading your posts in the whole puppy drama and stuff like this, it seems like you really base your self worth way too much off what other people think. I mean I do it too, I know it's hard, but really you should probably not give as many fucks as you do about what anyone else thinks. (I guess this is point B.5 really)
D. demand what you're worth, and have confidence in yourself. being poor honestly is a choice, unless you're dumb as a doorknob. find someone who you can impress and is willing to pay you money, and stick with your gumption on getting paid what you think is fair. that's how the world works, unless you're a bank or large company or something. and even then its how the world works, just on a much larger, contract driven scale.

the hard part is playing poker - you have to be willing to walk away from your job if you know you're valuable and aren't getting compensated for it. I recently almost fired a client paying my company more than an average annual american salary because they were on some bullshit about my bills being too high and 'oh we just need to start saving more money where we can!!'. but, I knew their back of house was going to collapse without our help, so I just told them I would be parting ways at the end of the month. they were like 'lol please no :( :(' and the checks still come, so... stick up for yourself! Even if it's just demanding a dollar or two more an hour, its worth doing. and gently caress them if they don't appreciate you.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 1, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

C. you seem like a great guy who should be very proud of his accomplishments, but in reading your posts in the whole puppy drama and stuff like this, it seems like you really base your self worth way too much off what other people think. I mean I do it too, I know it's hard, but really you should probably not give as many fucks as you do about what anyone else thinks. (I guess this is point B.5 really)
D. demand what you're worth, and have confidence in yourself. being poor honestly is a choice, unless you're dumb as a doorknob. find someone who you can impress and is willing to pay you money, and stick with your gumption on getting paid what you think is fair. that's how the world works, unless you're a bank or large company or something. and even then its how the world works, just on a much larger, contract driven scale.

the hard part is playing poker - you have to be willing to walk away from your job if you know you're valuable and aren't getting compensated for it. I recently almost fired a client paying my company more than an average annual american salary because they were on some bullshit about my bills being too high and 'oh we just need to start saving more money where we can!!'. but, I knew their back of house was going to collapse without our help, so I just told them I would be parting ways at the end of the month. they were like 'lol please no :( :(' and the checks still come, so... stick up for yourself! Even if it's just demanding a dollar or two more an hour, its worth doing. and gently caress them if they don't appreciate you.

You're generally a cool poster but this is one of the stupidest and most offensive things I've read for a while.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bartolimu posted:

With the exception of pr0k's, mothers do eventually wear out. You should be able to get a few batches out of it before that happens, though.

Ahh a well placed pr0ks mom joke, it has been a while since one came off that well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

therattle posted:

You're generally a cool poster but this is one of the stupidest and most offensive things I've read for a while.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

Yea dude gently caress off

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, that's a basket. And my point is that you're not getting anything out of putting produce in it over just stacking it or some poo poo, apart from presentation. Which I don't particularly care about. What I want is something that works more like those stackable plastic storage bins, only wire or something like that. Or I don't know what the gently caress. I mean I garden and I subscribe to a CSA thing and all that so I probably have somewhat more produce lying around on a regular basis than average, but it still seems like there ought to be better countertop options than the usual holds-a-couple-oranges-and-an-apple things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Build a root cellar

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Yo I'm going to be in Austin next week and want to eat all the bbq. I think my gig is out by the racetrack? I don't have a car but will Uber for good brisket. B

Franklin's, Freedman's, la BBQ, John Mueller, Stiles Switch, Mickelthwait Craft Meats.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

SubG posted:

Yeah, that's a basket. And my point is that you're not getting anything out of putting produce in it over just stacking it or some poo poo, apart from presentation. Which I don't particularly care about. What I want is something that works more like those stackable plastic storage bins, only wire or something like that. Or I don't know what the gently caress. I mean I garden and I subscribe to a CSA thing and all that so I probably have somewhat more produce lying around on a regular basis than average, but it still seems like there ought to be better countertop options than the usual holds-a-couple-oranges-and-an-apple things.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Mart-Medium-Stacking-Baskets-Chrome/dp/B00N238E2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433176664&sr=8-1

I had something similar in one of my college dorms, worked well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

Corner shelving unit!

http://www.amazon.com/ORE-International-NS2-32-3-Shelf-Bathroom/dp/B00A34GP0C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FVQNQDBQBNCXQDS1QRG

This one has adjustable heights for things. Yeah it's for the shower normally but who the gently caress is going to know that? We are putting a larger one in our kitchen in an unused corner for storage of poo poo I don't want on my counter all the time like the kitchenaid and various appliances.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mindphlux posted:

D. demand what you're worth, and have confidence in yourself. being poor honestly is a choice, unless you're dumb as a doorknob.

Oh yeah, totally. I just love playing "Living Paycheck to Paycheck" on hard mode. It makes it all the more worthwhile as you battle the mortgage level boss over and over again. Please regale us with more tales about how difficulties in life are actually choices, but through the power of bootstraps and standing up for yourself you managed to persevere.

Let me go try that magical cheat code of "demanding a raise". I work hard.

"Hey Boss, give me a raise or I walk"
"Enjoy your walk. You replacement will be here tomorrow"

Well, poo poo. Guess I should have chosen better.

gently caress you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
stupid poors with no gumption

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

ya its certainly offensive, not gonna argue that one

updatin my unsolicitedmindphluxbullshit.xlsx

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

being poor honestly is a choice

Says the guy who married into money by marrying a Lawyer. Go kick some poors asses with your IRL kung fu.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That product page is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. There's exactly two sizes of the thing, and they don't stack or anything. I mean I'm not saying they're bad or anything. But I open my pantry and I've got modular shelving and cambros in a bunch of different sizes that neatly tetris together. I go out to my garage and I've got modular draws and cabinets and a loving pegboard where I've got a half dozen different kinds of hooks and attachments and so on for all shapes and sizes of poo poo, from tiny rear end wrenches to bigass k-body clamps, and I've got random shelves hooked up to the same system. But for some reason for my kitchen counter---where space is way the gently caress more at a premium than just about anywhere else in the house---I've only got things that feel like half-assed kludges.

It's not a big deal or anything. But every once in awhile you see something that, if you're looking for something like it, you know right loving then that that's the thing you're looking for. And I'm just sorta fishing for something like that for countertop produce storage.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Yeah, this is a really offensively lovely opinion to barf out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you are intelligent, not crippled, not crazy, and don't have kids, you really have no excuse for being super poor.

I say this as a lazy, uneducated, jerk-off.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Says the guy who married into money by marrying a Lawyer. Go kick some poors asses with your IRL kung fu.

lol hold your tounge pleb

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Why didn't anyone tell me I could just choose to be paid well for challenging, fulfilling work? I have been working hard trying to impress future employers, but I'm really glad to learn how easy it is!

How long until my first $5000 check shows up?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
to be clear, my post was intentionally hyperbolic and unintentionally insensitive

but I do absolutely stand by the basic sentiment of 'stand up for yourself' and 'demand what you're worth.' - and walking from a job when you have to.

I was trying to be encouraging and positive. in only latenight-mindphlux-bein-an-rear end in a top hat-off-the-cuff-postin kind of way I know how. :( sorry for offending anyone I did

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

That product page is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. There's exactly two sizes of the thing, and they don't stack or anything. I mean I'm not saying they're bad or anything. But I open my pantry and I've got modular shelving and cambros in a bunch of different sizes that neatly tetris together. I go out to my garage and I've got modular draws and cabinets and a loving pegboard where I've got a half dozen different kinds of hooks and attachments and so on for all shapes and sizes of poo poo, from tiny rear end wrenches to bigass k-body clamps, and I've got random shelves hooked up to the same system. But for some reason for my kitchen counter---where space is way the gently caress more at a premium than just about anywhere else in the house---I've only got things that feel like half-assed kludges.

It's not a big deal or anything. But every once in awhile you see something that, if you're looking for something like it, you know right loving then that that's the thing you're looking for. And I'm just sorta fishing for something like that for countertop produce storage.

Dude I linked you adjustable corner shelves. They rock.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude I linked you adjustable corner shelves. They rock.
Glad you're happy with them, but they're not what I'm looking for.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

but I do absolutely stand by the basic sentiment of 'stand up for yourself' and 'demand what you're worth.' - and walking from a job when you have to.

For serious there's a lot of people for whom "walking from a job" means that their kids don't eat or some pills don't get bought or the car gets repossessed. It's bad news and wage slavery is a real thing hth.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For serious there's a lot of people for whom "walking from a job" means that their kids don't eat or some pills don't get bought or the car gets repossessed. It's bad news and wage slavery is a real thing hth.

yeah, I completely understand this, and why my post was hyperbolic and insensitive in that light. I just think Dino is genuinely an awesome, very capable, intelligent person - someone definitely not in that sort of situation based on all he has posted in the past. I of course don't believe ALL POVERTY IS A CHOICE HURRRRRRR PUFFIN ON MY CIGAR OVER HERE WHY DOESNT EVERYONE BOOTSTRAP THEMSELVES.

Dino's a published author, capable cook, good poster, by all appearances an extremely loving and devoted partner - he's got a lot to leverage, that's all I'm saying. I suspect many of the other posters hurling poo poo at me have their own personal success stories, and telling those stories in a convincing manner and standing up for yourself in the workplace can gain you a lot of respect.

Again, not saying this is the case for everyone - but I meant to address people posting in an internet comedy forum serioustalking about food cookery. IE, I'm assuming the demographic is nerds, aged 18-40, solidly middle class.

I'll stop digging myself a hole here, I know this poo poo is sensitive business.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have something much more important to discuss than this nonsense.

What should I get for lunch?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

to be clear, my post was intentionally hyperbolic and unintentionally insensitive

I was trying to be encouraging and positive. in only latenight-mindphlux-bein-an-rear end in a top hat-off-the-cuff-postin kind of way I know how. :( sorry for offending anyone I did

I'm not gonna read this, and instead say gently caress off you idiot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I completely understand this, and why my post was hyperbolic and insensitive in that light. I just think Dino is genuinely an awesome, very capable, intelligent person - someone definitely not in that sort of situation based on all he has posted in the past. I of course don't believe ALL POVERTY IS A CHOICE HURRRRRRR PUFFIN ON MY CIGAR OVER HERE WHY DOESNT EVERYONE BOOTSTRAP THEMSELVES.

Dino's a published author, capable cook, good poster, by all appearances an extremely loving and devoted partner - he's got a lot to leverage, that's all I'm saying. I suspect many of the other posters hurling poo poo at me have their own personal success stories, and telling those stories in a convincing manner and standing up for yourself in the workplace can gain you a lot of respect.

Again, not saying this is the case for everyone - but I meant to address people posting in an internet comedy forum serioustalking about food cookery. IE, I'm assuming the demographic is nerds, aged 18-40, solidly middle class.

I'll stop digging myself a hole here, I know this poo poo is sensitive business.

Ah, another post to not read - gently caress off

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

lol hold your tounge pleb

Mmmmmm.....feels good, gently caress off

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

I'm feeling like a gyro today.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Scientastic posted:

Reuben.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Sushi

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Scientastic posted:

It's a soup kind of day for me. Get some soup. I made a spicy bean soup with a leftover hunk of smoked pork shoulder, it's pretty good eats.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Tommy DiNic's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Of course, this is always the correct answer. Hard to find a good one in Camberwell, though...