Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gravel Gravy posted:

Popping in. What's going on here? :chanpop:

Jeffersonclay is frantically defending a graph he personally drew in MSpaint with no units on either axis, as being completely valid and accurate. In fact, no graphs need numbers because it turns out if you label both axis and slap a line down, well you've got a relationship between those two things right there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Whatre we xounting ? Numbers confuse me, could you draw a conceptual graph?

the numbers indicate your per unit bad posts

0/12

*menacingly rests fingers on the 1 and 3 keys*

do NOT test me

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

OK, now show your concept works, with data.

You get that neither I nor anyone else has a function which would actually generate that curve, right? The lack of units is intentional. The graph is just a tool to help you understand how the minimum wage affects the poor at different levels of wage.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

JeffersonClay posted:

You get that neither I nor anyone else has a function which would actually generate that curve, right? The lack of units is intentional. The graph is just a tool to help you understand how the minimum wage affects the poor at different levels of wage.

I have reason to believe that my curve doe a better job of reflecting the relationship.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes I get that you're attempting to make a graph to try and support a concept you can't support and that you left off units because you have no data.

Tell me again why you are so smug about your economics knowledge.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

JeffersonClay posted:

did I miss where you attempt to quantify or define "benefit to the poor" like at all

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

0/12

do NOT test me

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

0/12

do NOT test me

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
If you post a labelled pic of Skid Row again maybe folks will forget about this one and go back to making fun of you for something else! :eng101:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

You get that neither I nor anyone else has a function which would actually generate that curve, right?

wait, really?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I don't know why you're all beating him up over this, his crude Paint mockup photo of skid row in which he drew splotches of color on people who he suspected of being homeless was way stupider.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

0/12

do NOT test me

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

holy poo poo... the post history burn, it's too hot! my eyes are melting!!

i hope i don't have to dumb this down for you even more, but, hell, let's face it, i probably will

I'll have to ask someone in high school to make sure, but I'm pretty sure quoting something that shows a poster is a complete hypocrite is a pretty sick burn.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JeffersonClay posted:

We get it. You took Economy 101. You realize that policy is based on more than theoretical concepts, right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

I'll have to ask someone in high school to make sure,

i don't think your peers know much about posting

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I can't imagine any real relationship being a function or having no directional dependence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

0/13

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Gravel Gravy posted:

We get it. You took Economy 101. You realize that policy is based on more than theoretical concepts, right?

non-data driven graphs is like the shibboleth for econ101

also the smugness

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
econ postgrads are like "gently caress it, none of this poo poo makes sense plot your own poo poo i'm going to go get high"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

This guy said it better than I was gonna. This is like a microeconomics massacre.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zeitgueist posted:

non-data driven graphs is like the shibboleth for econ101

also the smugness

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

I highly doubt he even took one Econ class from his community college.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont think that little pantywaist fairy even knows how to spell economics

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Istvun posted:

I can't imagine any real relationship being a function or having no directional dependence.

Yeah, I work in ecology, not economics, but there's no clean parabolic functions to any of the relationships I study. I have to figure that an economy involving hundreds of millions of people isn't somehow much less complex then anything I work with.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if only Econ classes were actually like this

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Yes I get that you're attempting to make a graph to try and support a concept you can't support and that you left off units because you have no data.

Tell me again why you are so smug about your economics knowledge.

So you're another person who doesn't understand what a graph is? Not all graphs have or need units!

I'm smug about my economics knowledge because the people with actual economics knowledge aren't arguing with me.

spoon0042 posted:

did I miss where you attempt to quantify or define "benefit to the poor" like at all

We can define benefit to the poor a lot of different ways and the relationship demonstrated there will hold. Dollars transferred to the poor, for example.

Gravel Gravy posted:

The concepts I'm describing aren't just theoretical, they're measurable. Unemployment is a real thing. We can predict how a policy will impact employment, but can only measure it discretely after the fact.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 2, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Oh drat we're all hosed now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

JeffersonClay posted:

So you're another person who doesn't understand what a graph is? Not all graphs have or need units!

Good ones do.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

JeffersonClay posted:

The concepts I'm describing aren't just theoretical, they're measurable. Unemployment is a real thing. We can predict how a policy will impact employment, but can only measure it discretely after the fact.

and your totally based in fact economic common sense is going 0/12 or so there

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah but they do need data, homeslice

quote:

I'm smug about my economics knowledge because the people with actual economics knowledge aren't arguing with me.

I know, we're making fun of you instead

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JeffersonClay posted:

So from your graph we can tell:

-People won't work for free.
- There is a happy median point where people will work and people will hire them.
- Employers won't give too much money for labor.

Congratulations. In a debate on finding where that median lies your graph is pretty much worthless.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

i dont think that little pantywaist fairy even knows how to spell economics

LOL classy

Those gays and their graphs!

Gravel Gravy posted:

So from your graph we can tell:

-People won't work for free.
- There is a happy median point where people will work and people will hire them.
- Employers won't give too much money for labor.

Congratulations. In a debate on finding where that median lies your graph is pretty much worthless.

You can't tell any of that from the graph. You are bad at graphs.

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah but they do need data, homeslice
You're confusing data and numbers. I gave you the rationale for the shape of the curve.

quote:

I know, we're making fun of you instead

Oh, so you and the homophobe are together?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I smell blood in the water.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

I smell blood in the water.

that rollercoaster tipping point as the posts get more frantic, the poster subject to a dawning realization that they are the butt of a joke they only now begin to percieve

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JeffersonClay posted:

The observer can only get what is put in the graph out of it.
Your graph sucks.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

LOL classy

Those gays and their graphs!

You're confusing data and numbers. I gave you the rationale for the shape of the curve.

Oh, so you and the homophobe are together?

try taking a deep breath, counting to 10, and then releasing

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Bbbbuh where are the numbers? how can you express the relationship between two things without numbers?

that rollercoaster tipping point as the posts get more frantic, the poster subject to a dawning realization that they are the butt of a joke they only now begin to percieve

was it the gay slur?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
JeffersonClay, what do you do for a living? I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

JeffersonClay posted:

Bbbbuh where are the numbers? how can you express the relationship between two things without numbers?

was it the gay slur?

you're really banking on getting people mad at PTD so they'll stop making fun of you now, huh?

• Locked thread