Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You crossed out the wrong bits, the right ones spell out something far more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Dessel posted:

Sora No Woto I've heard of and considered sometimes, but moe girls doing war kind of stretches the believable aspect.

The girls are soldiers but they're not doing war, they're stationed in a random unimportant border town close to a country they're at peace with. The reasoning being that since a war just ended and "real soldiers" are scarce, they would be too valuable to waste on such a posting.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am looking for something new to watch. I tend to like shorter, character focused stories with intricate or interwoven stories. Stuff like The Tatami Galaxy, Haibane Renmei, Kyousougiga, Baccano/Durarara or Mushishi. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You might enjoy Hyouka.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Check out Kaiba. Same director as The Tatami Galaxy, 12 episodes long, and really weird and good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MrAptronym posted:

I am looking for something new to watch. I tend to like shorter, character focused stories with intricate or interwoven stories. Stuff like The Tatami Galaxy, Haibane Renmei, Kyousougiga, Baccano/Durarara or Mushishi. Anyone have any suggestions?

Finish of the "Abe trilogy" since you've watched Haibane Renmei; Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze are both fantastic. Also my standard Mushishi-like recomendations are Kino's Journey, Mononoke, and Natsume Yuujinchou. Yuasa's Ping Pong is also great if you liked Tatami Galaxy's style.

There's a ton of other things I could list out because I like that kind of story too, but I won't post them unless you really want a bunch more.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

Finish of the "Abe trilogy" since you've watched Haibane Renmei; Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze are both fantastic. Also my standard Mushishi-like recomendations are Kino's Journey, Mononoke, and Natsume Yuujinchou. Yuasa's Ping Pong is also great if you liked Tatami Galaxy's style.

There's a ton of other things I could list out because I like that kind of story too, but I won't post them unless you really want a bunch more.

Cool, you posted everything I was about to suggest. These are all amazing; I'd probably say Ping Pong is the best of them all if you want something with a lot of frantic energy (something it shares with Tatami Galaxy along with a similar art style) and the whole thing is only 11 episodes. Kino's Journey is something closer to Mushishi with a collection of shorter stories sharing a protagonist (two in most episodes, if you count Hermes) but not much else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Cool, you posted everything I was about to suggest. These are all amazing; I'd probably say Ping Pong is the best of them all if you want something with a lot of frantic energy (something it shares with Tatami Galaxy along with a similar art style) and the whole thing is only 11 episodes. Kino's Journey is something closer to Mushishi with a collection of shorter stories sharing a protagonist (two in most episodes, if you count Hermes) but not much else.

Imo, Kino's Journey is the closest thing to Mushishi because it's structurally just about exactly the same thing, but it deals with different themes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

MrAptronym posted:

You might like Ghost Hound, it's written by the same guy who wrote Lain and Texhnolyze. It's a coming of age story for 3 boys in a rural town, all who have gone through some tragedy in the past. It's very character driven, and that comes to a nice conclusion, but the interlinked plot threads never come to a good conclusion.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

ViggyNash posted:

Thanks, I have seen Lain, but not Texholyze. Hyouka and Natsume Yuujinchou have been suggested to me in the past but... I kind of forgot their titles at the time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to check these out! All of them seem interesting, and it should be enough to hold me over for a long time.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Silver Spoon is great. I love it. I just watched the pizza episode. Hilarious

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Silver Spoon is IMO a top 2 best currently running manga so when you run out of episodes to watch I definitely recommend reading the rest.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I liked Kill la Kill for great animation, great fights and Mako. Sure it was silly (and rapey) as poo poo but I still liked the beginning and the end of it, the middle was just exposition and budget animation. Is there anything else like it out there? I tried watching Gurren Lagann but couldn't get into it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManOfTheYear posted:

I liked Kill la Kill for great animation, great fights and Mako. Sure it was silly (and rapey) as poo poo but I still liked the beginning and the end of it, the middle was just exposition and budget animation. Is there anything else like it out there? I tried watching Gurren Lagann but couldn't get into it.

FLCL

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

I also like that, might as well rewatch it, haven't seen it in ages. Anything else?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Dead Leaves (even more nonsensical than FLCL), Panty and Stocking (winner of Best Swearing In Anime Award), Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. These are all a lot heavier on the humour than KLK but probably worth a look.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If you watch Panty and Stocking (and you should), be sure to watch the dub.

Also, you say that you couldn't get into TTGL; may I ask how far you got? It's certainly possible that it's just not your thing, but it's far from unheard of to not really dig the first few eps of Gurren Lagann but go on to love the poo poo out of it. Fun, energetic animation, good comic relief, really everything that one might like about KLK is present in GL, so if you perhaps didn't give it a full chance to shine, I'd urge you to do so.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
TTGL has exponential growth, beginning from it's relatively mundane first few episodes to a level of inanity you can't possibly imagine. It's a super inspiring ride, if that's your thing.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I finished TTGL yesterday and it had a profound effect on me. By that I mean it made me feel emotions today when I was thinking about it (good emotions).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Re: Cutey Honey and Yozakura Quartet

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

littleorv posted:

I finished TTGL yesterday and it had a profound effect on me. By that I mean it made me feel emotions today when I was thinking about it (good emotions).

Welcome to the club. I still can't listen to the rap opera song without getting chills, but then again I'm a huge dork for music in general.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

that rap opera song is the dumbest and most embarassing thing in that very specific kind of dumb and embarassing that only anime is. it gets even better when you realize it's not a black person doing the rap but a japanese person who can't pronounce english quite right

in other words it's really good and i like it. the rap part, at least, not the opera part so much

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They go together like peanut butter and pretzels.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

You might like Project A-ko and sequels, I think Kill La Kill owes a lot to it. Also has a proto-Mako.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

junopsis posted:

You might like Project A-ko and sequels, I think Kill La Kill owes a lot to it. Also has a proto-Mako.

I love klk and heard about project ako for years before I saw them; ako feels more like excel saga to me and i really really couldnt stomach it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Project A-ko parodies like tons of stuff but also actually has likeable characters and and actual story so it's not much like Excel Saga. Also she's literally the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It was spastic and high pitched and was not my cup of tea.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

What's the best recent kyoani show? I loved haruhi and nichijou and liked lucky star.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The currently airing Sound Euphonium is very good. Before that there's a bit of a gap up until, uh, Hyouka I think where they did something good again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

icantfindaname posted:

in other words it's really good and i like it. the rap part, at least, not the opera part so much
The marriage of rap and opera represents the culmination of human musical achievement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

It was spastic and high pitched and was not my cup of tea.

Watch the dub like god intended.

Nate RFB posted:

The currently airing Sound Euphonium is very good. Before that there's a bit of a gap up until, uh, Hyouka I think where they did something good again.

Amagi Brilliant Park is pretty fun, it's not up with their best stuff but it better than like Chuuni season 2 and, ugh, Tamako Market.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah Amagi was great, can't believe I forgot that one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Free

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only actual good parts of Free were the first season's ED and that one political cartoon someone did in the style of The Onion's Kelly with a crying Saber instead of a crying statue of liberty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also the angry haruhi fans, and that one gif of a free dude flying out of a wave and hip-thrusting in the face of a haruhi fan

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why were Haruhi fans so mad about homoerotic club show?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

but flipped

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am now even more confused

DamnGlitch