Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Generally you should link to it instead cuz it still loads when spoilered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

ansel autisms posted:

Generally you should link to it instead cuz it still loads when spoilered

#freethenipple

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

~*marks your flickr page as moderate*~

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Documenting a pretty normal day at the carnival, then.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Can't seem to focus worth a drat on my Mamiya C220. 90% sure it's operator error, but only a few of my shots came out in focus from this roll :effort:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Are you not using hyperfocal focusing for those types of photos?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

At those distances, DOF should be able to cover a bit of misfocus. Maybe your ground glass is not seated correctly? Or something is off with the lens plane.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Scored a P67ii + AE prism + 45mm all in absolute mint condition for $530. No hard feelings, mates? :smugdog:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 30, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Scored a P67ii + AE prism + 45mm all in absolute mint condition for $530. No hard feelings, mates? :smugdog:

Words cannot express how jealous of you i am right now.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Goddamn that's a deal.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Are you not using hyperfocal focusing for those types of photos?

I should have been but I wasn't

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Another from the same shoot. Still :nws:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57894797@N00/18095268779

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Your photos juxtaposed with your forum avatar are hilarious btw.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What do ya'll use for light meters? I don't want to be the dude who uses his DSLR to take a reading.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I use a light meter.

:(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thoogsby posted:

What do ya'll use for light meters? I don't want to be the dude who uses his DSLR to take a reading.

Olympus XA, the light meter with the lens built in

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 31, 2015

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Gossen Digiflash

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Thoogsby posted:

I own three light meters and all sorts of interesting cameras I could use for metering... but most of the time these days, I'll just use a light metering app on my phone. Spend one dollar instead of many, don't carry anything extra. Reflected light metering only, unless you want to buy a dome for the phone.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The Voigtlander VC Meter II is a fantastic choice as far as reflective meters go. They're massively overly-priced, but they go by fairly unnoticed on ebay, so sniping one for well under $100 is possible with some patience.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Olympus XA, the light meter with the lens built in
This too.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Gossen Digisix (best buy imho) & Sekonic L-758DR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

This (but I just sold my Digisix to Mido).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Using this combo too (well the Sekonic L-558 instead), but mostly the Gossen Digisix 99% of the time. It's so drat small and light.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Digisix looks like a solid option. I don't understand Sekonic's product lines at all. Prices and model numbers all over the map.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Ke'anae Point Cove
by bud_lish, on Flickr

Maui is a nice place to shoot and be in general. I took my Sekonic L-358 there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

This (but I just sold my Digisix to Mido).

This (i use the digisix that you sold me)

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

bobmarleysghost posted:

I use a light meter.

:(

Sup light meter buddy :( :hf: :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I use this guy cause I'm cheap (and its never done me wrong):
http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-208/overview.aspx

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I made my first wet plates yesterday, ambrotypes on black glass :science:

hahahahaahahha gently caress :eng99:

lovely phone pics, having scanner/software issues atm, not that these are worth scanning

literally the first plate after the test plate:

2nd:

Happy I at least got an image... but gently caress, a lot of work/practice to go. Going to be a big learning curve. Hard to pour as it was about 0 degrees C and pretty windy where I was shooting. Hands were all over the place during pouring of the collodion.

Still, I think I'm hooked. Was a shitload of fun nonetheless. Watching them turn positive in the fixer was something else.
I figure if I can eventually get the process artefacts under control I can really make those Tassie midlands sing.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 2, 2015

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Those are awesome

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

I made my first wet plates yesterday, ambrotypes on black glass :science:

hahahahaahahha gently caress :eng99:

lovely phone pics, having scanner/software issues atm, not that these are worth scanning

literally the first plate after the test plate:

2nd:

Happy I at least got an image... but gently caress, a lot of work/practice to go. Going to be a big learning curve. Hard to pour as it was about 0 degrees C and pretty windy where I was shooting. Hands were all over the place during pouring of the collodion.

Still, I think I'm hooked. Was a shitload of fun nonetheless. Watching them turn positive in the fixer was something else.
I figure if I can eventually get the process artefacts under control I can really make those Tassie midlands sing.

Good work mate, and really good to hear that you've got the bug and want to keep going with it.

What kind of tent are you using?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Don't even ask me about the friggin tent.
I got an eskimo tent and lightproofed it and all the lining started to disintegrate. Set it up ready to shoot and looked like someone had taken to it with a shotgun. no idea why. Expensive gently caress up.

So i just got some black builders plastic and blacked out the back of my van, it's crude as poo poo and needs a lot of work to make it more sturdy but worked for that day at least.

E: oh yeah and thanks, and thanks for your help/advice over the last few months... Very much appreciated.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Don't even ask me about the friggin tent.
I got an eskimo tent and lightproofed it and all the lining started to disintegrate. Set it up ready to shoot and looked like someone had taken to it with a shotgun. no idea why. Expensive gently caress up.

So i just got some black builders plastic and blacked out the back of my van, it's crude as poo poo and needs a lot of work to make it more sturdy but worked for that day at least.

E: oh yeah and thanks, and thanks for your help/advice over the last few months... Very much appreciated.

The :420: growth :420: tent I've used does the job, is cheap, but it's pretty durable and is light tight (enough for wet plate).

No worries with advice, happy to help, anytime.

This isn't getting enough love

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I was looking at that grow tent for about the same price as the eskimo, but the general consensus was that it was too much of a pain to set up/take down to make it portable. Portability is a big thing for this whole deal, I want to be able to move around relatively freely. Having the DR in the back of the van makes this pretty good.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You're using all of the 8x10 buffalo, Jesus Christ.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it sets by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweet jeezus

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Half expecting the legs of some huge monster to appear in the darkness behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:mrgw:

• Locked thread