Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

404notfound posted:

What's some reasonably cheap older glass (e.g., AI-S through AF-D) that might still be worth considering? I've got a 105/3.54 macro already that works well enough, but now that I'm on full-frame, I might as well take better advantage of Nikon's legacy F-mount and the FF-oriented focal lengths.

All of them.

(135f2dc, 180mm 2.8 ais, 24mm f2.8d)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Generally a bad sign of their prices are so different to b&h, who are generally the benchmark. I'm suspicious that they refer to themselves as Closeout while the domain is Closeouts, and the only review site I found said established 2015 while they claim 29 years. The reviews (only 4) smelt like they could've been bought.

Also, is it worth selling your 50? The going rate here isn't high, and I think I'll keep mine (or pass down) to use in situations where I don't want to take my new body out. My sensor definitely needs a proper clean and the pop up flash is a bit sticky which doesn't help, but even without those issues it's not as if I could buy much with the proceeds. Always good to have a backup.

I'm moving across the planet and getting rid of most of what I own, so 'spare dslr body' would not be something that makes the cut into the duffel bag.

Thanks for the info!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wild EEPROM posted:

All of them.

(135f2dc, 180mm 2.8 ais, 24mm f2.8d)

Speaking of the 135 f2 dc, is it usable as a manual lens when adapted to a canon?

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Adorama has refurbished D4 for three grand. My oh my I wish I had some cash lying around for that.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
Is a used p510 with an extra battery & charger included a good deal at $100? It's in like-new condition.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FYI massdrop right now has the 50/1.8 for $80 new.

Link here. I don't have any affiliation with massdrop but I do own this lens and it's great.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Man the 55-200 VR II is drat sharp.

I finally went out and played with this lens and had a blast. I even caught my first ever flying bird shot.

I feel so good that I got this lens for only $100 bundled with my DSLR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I want to test the AF fine tune on my d7200, the live view autofocus should be the gold standard to compare against yeah? Ie because it uses a different AF system, changing the amount won't affect it?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Uh, anything shady or odd about this d7200 kit through Ritz? I thought it was a refurbished model but I can't see anything. The fact that its $200 cheaper than the body only version made me wonder what was up: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/N...BBZnxoCE5Pw_wcB

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Uh, anything shady or odd about this d7200 kit through Ritz? I thought it was a refurbished model but I can't see anything. The fact that its $200 cheaper than the body only version made me wonder what was up: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/N...BBZnxoCE5Pw_wcB

that note about it being an import model probably means that it's grey market, so good luck if you need to send it in to nikon directly for any work.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

that note about it being an import model probably means that it's grey market, so good luck if you need to send it in to nikon directly for any work.

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even see the import part the first time I looked.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really like Fuji's film simulations on their mirrorless cameras, and have gotten a pretty nice general purpose setting now on my X100S. Does anybody have a good and flexible Picture Control setting I could use for jpegs on my D750?

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

404notfound posted:

I really like Fuji's film simulations on their mirrorless cameras, and have gotten a pretty nice general purpose setting now on my X100S. Does anybody have a good and flexible Picture Control setting I could use for jpegs on my D750?

Isn't that the whole idea behind VSCO film packs?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Fiki posted:

VSCO is really intended for RAW files.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Fiki posted:

I shoot raw + jpeg and use VSCO Film when processing, but with the D750's built-in wi-fi capability, it'd be nice to have decent SOOC jpegs as well. I'm currently using the portrait preset with 5 sharpening and +1 saturation, but I'd be curious to know if people have any other preferences.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I ran the comparison on B and H between the cameras in the Nikon 5000 line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D5200_vs_Nikon_D5300_vs_Nikon_D5500/BHitems/910146-REG_1010022-REG_1111429-REG

I went down to best buy today and held the 3 cameras. I like the way the 5500 fits in my hand a little better, but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $100 for just that.

I'm looking to buy one soon (yay!) and other than the size of the body and the ergonomics of it I can't seem to find much of a difference between the 3. Is there something I'm missing as someone who hasn't camera shopped in a long time?

road potato fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 2, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They will all take the same quality photos. The differences lie in the luxury features like wifi, gps, and autofocus performance which it looks like b&h doesn't mention.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They're all at used d7000/7100 prices, and with a 7000/7100 you get a second command dial, the ability to autofocus D lenses, 100% viewfinder, a beefier body, etc.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wild EEPROM posted:

They're all at used d7000/7100 prices, and with a 7000/7100 you get a second command dial, the ability to autofocus D lenses, 100% viewfinder, a beefier body, etc.

Yes. We have a D5300 at work for stills and 1080p video, which is great, but my D7000 is far easier to use as a stills camera and the in-body focus motor means I can use far more older AF lenses.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gstu posted:

I ran the comparison on B and H between the cameras in the Nikon 5000 line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D5200_vs_Nikon_D5300_vs_Nikon_D5500/BHitems/910146-REG_1010022-REG_1111429-REG

I went down to best buy today and held the 3 cameras. I like the way the 5500 fits in my hand a little better, but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $100 for just that.

I'm looking to buy one soon (yay!) and other than the size of the body and the ergonomics of it I can't seem to find much of a difference between the 3. Is there something I'm missing as someone who hasn't camera shopped in a long time?

It you want to save money then the 5100 is great and Super cheap preowned for what it is. The higher models like the 5500 though fall over into 7000/7100 price range making them harder to justify. Unless you specifically want video go for a 7xxx over a 5xxx.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original Nikon 18-55 VR kit lens is pretty well liked yeah? I don't think my cheapy Sigma 17-35 is going to last much longer as it's always been a bit iffy and there's something rattling around in it, and someone local has this lens up for about half the Amazon new price for here. My shaky hands like the idea of having VR even at a lower focal length, and nice to have a little more zoom lens. A decent enough pickup?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They cost fuckall and literally the only thing wrong with them is the slow aperture. They loving own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'll grab it. I checked my 17-35 and it's f2.8 so it's a liiiiittle bit faster but the VR should nullify that anyway. I'll throw him an email now.

It seems to be my 'thing' where I try and buy up every low cost, but good value lens going.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That kit and a fast wide-ish/normal prime is literally all you need for 90% of photography.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Already have the 35/1.8 and the 50/1.8, will end up getting the higher up ones too and replace my 70-300 with something less low-end in the future. Need to take the 35mm back out as I've not been that happy with the shots I've gotten from it on my new body. Hopefully a -10 shift on the AF tuning has helped after spending some time with a focus target.

At least I get the uses out of my lenses, I took 5 on a trip a month ago and the only one I didn't use was my 28-80 and I would've probably used that if I'd gone out one more day.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least I get the uses out of my lenses, I took 5 on a trip a month ago and the only one I didn't use was my 28-80 and I would've probably used that if I'd gone out one more day.
I lugged a 6.5mm, 35mm, 18-55mm, and 150-600mm with me on a week long sailing trip at the beginning of May and used them all fairly extensively.

18-55mm is my sunset lens of choice currently. (you might ask why I also brought the 35mm: low light)

There's something to be said for packing light, but if you're able to fit it all, more lenses can be great.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Kenshin posted:

I lugged a 6.5mm, 35mm, 18-55mm, and 150-600mm with me on a week long sailing trip at the beginning of May and used them all fairly extensively.

18-55mm is my sunset lens of choice currently. (you might ask why I also brought the 35mm: low light)

There's something to be said for packing light, but if you're able to fit it all, more lenses can be great.

I'm going to Germany later this year and plan on bringing a 12-24, 24-70 and a 50mm. All 3 are FX lenses so I can use all of them on my F100 or the D750 I'll be renting, and of course they will work just fine on my D7k also [which I own].

I'm pretty excited. Taking HP5+ and Fujifilm Provia 100 for the F100.

I also have an N90s and 35-70 F/2.8 which I might bring if someone else in our foursome wants to shoot film. Or I might like to sell that.

Anyone want to buy a really solid film body + lens combo? N90s + 35-70mm F/2.8 works really well together. I don't need it because I upgraded to the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and that tammy doesn't work in A on the N90s, so I bought the F100. Now I have an extra film body and a lens I don't need really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly, I'll use my camera bag as my carry on luggage and stuff it to the brim with stuff I think I'll want to use over a whole trip, then take one or two out with me on each particular thing I'm doing. I'm not someone who is particularly good at any one given type of photography, but I like snapping in lots of different circumstances.

I do dig primes for the speed, sharpness and value you get from them but its not always convenient, and when I'm on a boat it's definitely a time a wide angle zoom is far easier to handle!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

That kit and a fast wide-ish/normal prime is literally all you need for 90% of photography.

this is true and it's a real pisser that nikon doesn't make a cheap, fast wide-ish prime for DX

something like the 35mm 1.8G in the 20-28mm range would have been good like... 6 years ago, and I guess it would still be good but I already got a different camera so I care less now

Ugly_Jim
Jan 23, 2004
Hello

404notfound posted:

I shoot raw + jpeg and use VSCO Film when processing, but with the D750's built-in wi-fi capability, it'd be nice to have decent SOOC jpegs as well. I'm currently using the portrait preset with 5 sharpening and +1 saturation, but I'd be curious to know if people have any other preferences.

I don't think it'd be possible to duplicate anything close to Fuji, isn't most of the look because of color shifts? None of the color profiles very close. btw I think I remember you from Guild Wars.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does the WU-1a only connect to phones/tablets? I want to try to set it up as a wireless tether to a laptop, but from my research it only connects to phones and tablets. Which seems like a wasted opportunity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it does, and it is - the mobile app only let's you focus and take a shot too. I wondered why it was so limited, until I spotted a $600 wireless remote that Nikon make. Suddenly it made complete sense.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

[Ask] me how much I love the wireless options for my 800

Oct 28, 2003

I'm looking for a lens to use to take pictures of art in close quarters. My workspace is pretty cramped and from what I read a Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D Lens sounded like a good choice. I have a d7100, a good tripod and a remote so no vr isn't a problem. Is there a better or cheaper option?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How big is the art and how close are the quarters?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The 40mm 2.8 comes to mind. You can't uncrop narrow fov. Also, any news about a d500 yet?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I can get a D5200 single lens kit for what I believe to be a reasonable price. I haven't owned a DSLR for a while and never owned a Nikon. Is this still a decent body to pick up? I thought about a 7100/7200 but they are considerably more expensive, as is the D5500.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Digital Jesus posted:

I can get a D5200 single lens kit for what I believe to be a reasonable price. I haven't owned a DSLR for a while and never owned a Nikon. Is this still a decent body to pick up? I thought about a 7100/7200 but they are considerably more expensive, as is the D5500.

What's the price? I have a D5100 and am happy with it in many respects, but if I had to do it over, I would have spent more to get the 7100 so I could have the screw drive and use AF with some older lenses.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Let me preface by acknowledging that it's probably not good pricing. I'm going with a particular local store purely because they're offering nice interest free terms at the moment and my other camera just died on me...

The 5200 comes in at about half the price of the 7100 with the same lens. $776 AUD vs $1448.

Canon 700D twin lens kit is about the same price as the 5200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

The only huge difference besides body size is the ability to drive old af-d glass. Unless you plan to buy a lot of old screwdrive glass, go with the d5200 and a 35mm 1.8 to supplement the kitlens. That or wait for the D500.