Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's totes hella amazeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

D_W posted:

I think a lot of the hate that Warren gets is projecting from male players who maybe see little bit of their teen selves in him. He's certainly written well enough that I recognize people in my life that remind me of him.

Still gently caress that guy. He probably does lovely Pokemon LPs that get 20 views and posts on r/gaming. What a loser that guy. Pfft.

Makes terrible attempts at flirting with girls? Check. Way too into video games and explosives. Check. Gets his rear end beat? Check. Has a love interest that seems only semi into him? Check.
Its sad but i do see a little of my high school self in warren. Mostly the cringe-worthy poo poo. I can sort've relate to him but i still find him pretty irritating.
Even if hes the canon LI i dont care its more fun to change that poo poo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think I immediately dislike anyone that perceives, and vocally calls out, themselves as being a 'white knight' or a nice guy. poo poo like that doesn't need to be advertised and Warren has an especially large problem doing that or laying some thick guilt on our character (like in the case of not seeing Planet of the Apes). Just subtle things that are super obvious red flags and how the game, no matter how creepy Warren gets, always seems to end up with Max sitting with him being totally chill. I guess she doesn't have many options outside of gun wielding rich kids, jocks actively making GBS threads on her, standoffish art nerds, or creepers that either way to draw her or be her white knight.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Max is goony as poo poo she deserves Warren. All she does is get picked on by popular kids and walk around mentally making GBS threads on everything she sees.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah Max may be our protagonist but she's also kind of an rear end in a top hat.
Life is Strange - Oregon is Filled With Dicks

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGebmlDlB1k

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Is it alright if I like the game and also like this? Bro Team cracks me up.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Is it alright if I like the game and also like this? Bro Team cracks me up.
It's not. It's really bad actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol if you enjoy this game not ironically.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
While this game is a treasure trove of symbolism and nuanced direction, my favorite part of Life is Strange is the subtle influences of European culture.

For instance the Global Warming denier in Episode 2 was given no doubt a huge nose due to the ingrained antisemitism of Parisians.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just got done with the second episode, taking my time playing through the story. Is there a link somewhere that describes the inner mechanics behind talking Kate down from committing suicide? It felt like that entire conversation was super-intense for me based on my earlier decisions but now that it's over it'd be cool to read up on what speech checks you need to clear. I ended up saving Kate's life, but I had to go through like five conversation points including more obscure poo poo like her dad's letter and the Bible passage she liked.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Just got done with the second episode, taking my time playing through the story. Is there a link somewhere that describes the inner mechanics behind talking Kate down from committing suicide? It felt like that entire conversation was super-intense for me based on my earlier decisions but now that it's over it'd be cool to read up on what speech checks you need to clear. I ended up saving Kate's life, but I had to go through like five conversation points including more obscure poo poo like her dad's letter and the Bible passage she liked.

Think its just point system, where the right answers give points

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Junkfist posted:

While this game is a treasure trove of symbolism and nuanced direction, my favorite part of Life is Strange is the subtle influences of European culture.

For instance the Global Warming denier in Episode 2 was given no doubt a huge nose due to the ingrained antisemitism of Parisians.

What? When I think French and hang ups about big noses, anti-semitism is at the bottom of the list. French national caricatures are actually big on noses because the French have got some holy schnozes.

exquisite tea posted:

There should be like a dozen steam guides about it. Just alt+tab next time you play.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

exquisite tea posted:

The way it works is like this.

Every time you don't help Kate in the game you have to get one more question right on the roof to save her. If the Bible passage turns up it means you got too many questions wrong and that is your last chance to save her by answering Matthew. If you get that wrong she jumps.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fans posted:

Every time you don't help Kate in the game you have to get one more question right on the roof to save her. If the Bible passage turns up it means you got too many questions wrong and that is your last chance to save her by answering Matthew. If you get that wrong she jumps.

I don't think this is how it works. She positively reacted to all my answers prior to the Bible quote, and I always helped her throughout the game. Or did I miss a chance to help her somewhere?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I don't think this is how it works. She positively reacted to all my answers prior to the Bible quote, and I always helped her throughout the game. Or did I miss a chance to help her somewhere?

I think you can only fail one of those questions, and you auto-fail a few of them if you didn't help her. I answered everything right and didn't get to the bible question which I think is the last one.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Paladinus posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't need to help her at all. As long as you nail the last bit with the bible passage. But that only shows up if you're not going to save her otherwise.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think you can only fail one of those questions, and you auto-fail a few of them if you didn't help her. I answered everything right and didn't get to the bible question which I think is the last one.

You can pass every one, but there's only one answer that'll talk her down rather than the two 'right' options if you helped her. If you didn't tell her to report to the Police the only right answer is "I’m looking for evidence". If you took a photo instead of helped the answer is "I was scared". If you want to feel slimy, the only good response to not answering your phone is "It was on silent" despite that being a lie!

So helping Kate makes it more likely for you to talk her down, but doesn't guarantee anything.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 2, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think I responded in all the most positive ways except I make the evidently exceedingly unpopular decision to photograph David harassing Kate at the beginning, instead of intervening. Sorry Kate, but nobody in this school is gonna believe your story without evidence!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really should have brushed up on my Bible :( Or dug through people's poo poo more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I think I responded in all the most positive ways except I make the evidently exceedingly unpopular decision to photograph David harassing Kate at the beginning, instead of intervening. Sorry Kate, but nobody in this school is gonna believe your story without evidence!

Thats the only part of the game I thought was outright badly written. Max should be able to take a photo and then rewind time to intervene.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Fans posted:

I really can't help but feel "Come to me all who are weary and heavy-burdened, and I shall give you rest" may not the best choice of quotes from the good book to tell someone about to off themselves. It was my last choice of the bible quote section and I save-scummed to keep her alive. I saw a Kateless future and it was one I had no desire to be a part of.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Angry Walrus posted:

I really can't help but feel "Come to me all who are weary and heavy-burdened, and I shall give you rest" may not the best choice of quotes from the good book to tell someone about to off themselves. It was my last choice of the bible quote section and I save-scummed to keep her alive. I saw a Kateless future and it was one I had no desire to be a part of.

If you look in her bible in her room the right passage is underlined, and the wrong passage is scratched out I think.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If you look in her bible in her room the right passage is underlined, and the wrong passage is scratched out I think.

That's exactly it. So much of that chat involves paying attention to details in her room.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

With Kate I kinda screwed myself by telling the truth at the end. I hadn't picked up her phone call earlier, so when we go to that part, I felt bad about it and didn't want to lie and say I was busy or something. Turns out, telling the truth in that situation is not a good idea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

That's exactly it. So much of that chat involves paying attention to details in her room.

Yes, but arguably she's changed her mind about the first quote because of suicidal thoughts. That's why I picked it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Paladinus posted:

Yes, but arguably she's changed her mind about the first quote because of suicidal thoughts. That's why I picked it.

The quotes about how people with money won't get away with it in the end. Kate has good reason to feel this isn't true.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm actually surprised that statistically 2/3 players manage to save Kate, given the ways in which you can mess it up.. I guess if you're playing this type of game then you most likely grew up playing point and click adventures where you're already conditioned to pay attention to every little detail.

Edit: That being said it's definitely my favorite section of the game so far. They did a really good job of maintaining the tension and making it feel as if all your previous choices were coming together, even if some of that tension was illusory. Overall I feel like the choice --> consequence connection is much smoother and less gamey-feeling in Life is Strange than in TWD (which I also really like).

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 2, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even get close to saving Kate, even though I thought I was doing "the right thing" for her the whole time. :(

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I couldn't save her either, that part seemed legitimately tough, and having the rewind yanked away from you put a lot of pressure on the scene. Good job to them for coming up with a way to make choices not trivial.

I didn't see this covered yet, but how different is the game if she lives? Is she away in a hospital somewhere like was speculated? There's a surprising amount of seemingly unique mentions to her death if you're not able to save her. I haven't gotten far enough in my second save yet to see what happens in the alternate case.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Do you even get to interact with Kate in any way at all if shes alive?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

woodenchicken posted:

Not in episode 3 for sure.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

woodenchicken posted:

lol of course not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

woodenchicken posted:

She sends you a text message IIRC

But I mean remember each episode is a day long. Nobody gets released from suicide watch in a day like that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Chloe, are you afraid of God?
No, but I’m hella afraid of you.

From here: http://thetyranicalasshole.tumblr.com/post/120484796366/captainicarus-life-is-infinite-completed

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I didn't see this covered yet, but how different is the game if she lives? Is she away in a hospital somewhere like was speculated? There's a surprising amount of seemingly unique mentions to her death if you're not able to save her. I haven't gotten far enough in my second save yet to see what happens in the alternate case.

Yes the speculation is right, also people treat you like a hero and are rather proud of you. But maybe they do that in both, I haven't done a replay.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what is the deal with Nathan's crazy drawings?

Also on Kate: while I'm an old school adventure game player and am used to the old "look at everything and exhaust dialogue trees" requirement for winning the game, I felt like a goddamn boss for talking Kate down the first time. It was like a boss fight without a boss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

monster on a stick posted:

Also on Kate: while I'm an old school adventure game player and am used to the old "look at everything and exhaust dialogue trees" requirement for winning the game, I felt like a goddamn boss for talking Kate down the first time. It was like a boss fight without a boss.

I really liked it too because basically all you had to do to save her is take a few minutes out of your day to get to know her a little better and be her friend :allears:.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

That's why I generally prefer to play these episodic games once all the installments are released. Less time spent thinking about how the alternate consequences could be better, because you're moving right along onto the next episode. Unlike the Mass Effect games though I generally only feel like playing through Telltale-esque adventures once, because I think you lose the illusion of the narrative being your own story when you make the opposite choices and see things resolve in almost the same way. I kinda feel as if the possibility of choice is often more important than the actual consequences themselves. So far Life is Strange (what a bizarrely nondescript title, btw) maintains that illusion pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought it was all right - it's not like you get game over screen and are forced to redo the same sequences like a moron. (that would be the diner part)
I play these kind of games exactly once, and always choose the first thing that comes to mind. If I choose poorly, well, tough poo poo, at least this way I'm following my own adventures, not Gamefaq's.

• Locked thread