Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

NancyPants posted:

So are you saying that Uber can't carve out its own niche by almost exactly copying something that's been around since the dawn of time?

Eh Uber is fine. It's their drivers who have saturated their own market because they can't do math.

Basically their drivers are doing the insurance sales industry issue that a company provides leads and they earn and the company takes a cut. This isn't horrible or anything and is generally great for consumers, but the typical case of someone getting in over their head is exaserbated by the high cost of car use (including a huge fatality rate).

The fatality rate is probably the MOST overlooked cost. Driving is more dangerous than just about everything we consider dangerous, including heroin, police work, and joining the military.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Uber's also still telling people to lie about working for Uber to get personal insurance instead of commercial and a lot of drivers can't afford commercial sooooo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Won't most insurance companies deny a claim for an accident in a private vehicle made while operating in the capacity of a commercial one?

e:f,b

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NancyPants posted:

I agree that it's taking advantage, but did the city really not consider that some people might do exactly this?

Heard a story on the radio this morning about Oregon's gas taxes. The point of a gas tax is to pay for upkeep on roads. Some enterprising (jerk) has proposed that they instead do a per-mile tax of 1.4 cents rather than a per gallon tax. Why? A fuel efficient Prius is paying 1/5 of the road maintenance taxes that a lifted, 15mpg mall crawler truck is, and THAT'S NOT FAIR :qq:

So they're piloting a program with a device that plugs into your vehicle OBD and tracks mileage, assessing taxes based on mileage and comparing it against taxes paid at the pump. The driver then pays (or receives a refund) for the difference.

The extra funny part is that regardless of whether you tax mileage or gas consumption for consumer vehicles, they aren't anywhere close to the biggest factor in road wear. A truck loaded to the federal limit of 80,000 lbs wears/damages the roads at a rate as if 9,600 cars at 4,000 lbs each drove on that same section of road.
http://archive.gao.gov/f0302/109884.pdf

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Won't most insurance companies deny a claim for an accident in a private vehicle made while operating in the capacity of a commercial one?

Why yes, my friends always sit in the backseat when I'm taking them to the airport.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Not a Children posted:

Yes, but Uber has its own insurance that'll cover you* if that happens.

*If you had a passenger in the car at the time. Better hope nothing happens during the times you have the app on but no passengers in your car!

(Uber's site claims it covers that gap, but it's also implied you should submit a claim to your own insurance first. Because they definitely won't drop your policy or make you buy a commercial one once they know you're driving for Uber.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

The extra funny part is that regardless of whether you tax mileage or gas consumption for consumer vehicles, they aren't anywhere close to the biggest factor in road wear. A truck loaded to the federal limit of 80,000 lbs wears/damages the roads at a rate as if 9,600 cars at 4,000 lbs each drove on that same section of road.
http://archive.gao.gov/f0302/109884.pdf

I am pretty sure commercial vehicles are taxed. If corporations are getting out of their tax liability then maybe someone should work on closing those loopholes?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

enraged_camel posted:

Ah yes, nothing like passing your private business expenses to the city, which is probably swimming in more money than they know what to do with!
So the city built free charging stations, and now it's bad that someone is using them to charge for free? What?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

enraged_camel posted:

Ah yes, nothing like passing your private business expenses to the city, which is probably swimming in more money than they know what to do with!

Good with money for sure.

Reading this post was bad with money because it gave me an aneurysm.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Cicero posted:

So the city built free charging stations, and now it's bad that someone is using them to charge for free? What?

He's driving a brand new Volt into the ground, and using free charging stations to charge it.

The phrase "penny-wise, pound-foolish" comes to mind.

Aside from that, yeah, I find it distinctly unethical that an independent contractor is taking a cost of doing business that would normally come out of his own pocket and passing it onto everyone else. I bet if this was a company operating a fleet of electric vehicles that were mooching off the city's free charging stations, people would be up in arms and demand that it pays extra taxes to offset its heavy usage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enraged_camel posted:

He's driving a brand new Volt into the ground, and using free charging stations to charge it.

The phrase "penny-wise, pound-foolish" comes to mind.

Aside from that, yeah, I find it distinctly unethical that an independent contractor is taking a cost of doing business that would normally come out of his own pocket and passing it onto everyone else. I bet if this was a company operating a fleet of electric vehicles that were mooching off the city's free charging stations, people would be up in arms and demand that it pays extra taxes to offset its heavy usage.

Just like these jerks
http://www.cnet.com/news/monkeyparking-parking-startup-shut-down-in-san-francisco/

I don't recall if it was this app or another service that had "contractors" go sit their vehicles in the decent (paid) public parking spaces in busy areas and auction off the space to app users.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Uber is the absolute worst. I actually sat next to the CEO at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was weirding me out.

There's some kid around here that got a Tesla S just for Uber use. Worst with money.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man poo poo is gonna hit the fan when self driving cars/trucks/rigs replace everyone that drives for a living.

"Yes Mr. UPS man uh we no longer need you to drive, just walk the packages to the door please. BTW we're lowering your wage to 10 bucks an hour".

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man poo poo is gonna hit the fan when self driving cars/trucks/rigs replace everyone that drives for a living.

"Yes Mr. UPS man uh we no longer need you to drive, just walk the packages to the door please. BTW we're lowering your wage to 10 bucks an hour".

Yep. Can't wait.

Also seriously poo poo you order is just going to get bombed on you by Amazon drones 5 minutes after you order it anyway.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Accident lawyers, health care professionals that care for accidents, body shops, etc etc

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Accident lawyers, health care professionals that care for accidents, body shops, etc etc

They'll be 1000x busier if driverless parking is anything to go by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-oO3VKRMG4

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, a lot of different people are gonna eventually lose their jobs but I think drivers will probably be the first big ones.

It's gonna be funny as hell watching "Americas backbone" slowly turn leftist.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My company is looking to modernize our investment accounting software. We're an insurance / financial services company, so this accounts for a fair amount of people. The modern software can basically do everything we do with a bunch of old softwares, far more accurately and without nearly as much (any, basically) human input. I for one am all for it, I hate babysitting software because none of it works together, and my time is better spent doing other things for the company. But it will have a lot of job loss, and some of the VP's are massively against it. It was interesting seeing the OpFin VP discussing it with my Director - she is totally against it. You'd think the OpFin VP would be all for operational cost decreases... But no.

Aside: we also run Win2000 on hundreds of production servers, and just migrated to Win7 last summer. And I seriously miss WinXP because at least most things worked ... Our IT is the worst, thanks IBM!! (We outsourced to them a few years ago - costs aren't near as low as promised (higher than before), upgrade projects go slow as hell and have massive *issues* like not testing key IBM software before deploying upgrades, quality of IT has gone down..like, they do major updates at noon on Friday because the guys in India don't realize midnight their time is noon our time... A subsidiary was off the network for 4 days during the last DC upgrade!! That happened on a Monday - why?!

It's been a long day in the office, largely due to the A+ tech :D /Rant

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
tl;dr outsourcing IT to india increased costs :shepface:

I don't envy your work.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Where is this world that everyone can and should be a business owner? Businesses need workers too, or do we gloss over that fact when everyone says if you're not an entrepreneur you're worthless?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Shipon posted:

Where is this world that everyone can and should be a business owner? Businesses need workers too, or do we gloss over that fact when everyone says if you're not an entrepreneur you're worthless?

Yeah, but why would you want to be a plebeian employee when you can be a captain of industry? :smug:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

enraged_camel posted:

Good with money for sure.

This sounds like exactly something San Fran citizens would want to happen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"You have no money saved up, a bunch of debt, and little to no real-world experience with how businesses work. This is the perfect time to start a business."

Here's the article, by the way. Notably not mentioned: How to have even a dim shot of succeeding with a business straight out of school. Or any of the downsides of running your own business.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If the safety net was a little stronger more people would probably take risks and attempt to start businesses.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If the safety net was a little stronger more people would probably take risks and attempt to start businesses.

That's what I keep trying to tell my dad but it's like talking to a racist, conservative wall. Free healthcare and foodstamps is pro-small-business!

SF Startup + Bad With Money: http://www.trashday.co/

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

That's what I keep trying to tell my dad but it's like talking to a racist, conservative wall. Free healthcare and foodstamps is pro-small-business!

Does it make sense if I love this city but I also hate everything about it?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

It's actually true, not that facts make any difference:

Inc.com article posted:

Norway is also full of entrepreneurs like Wiggo Dalmo. Rates of start-up creation here are among the highest in the developed world, and Norway has more entrepreneurs per capita than the United States, according to the latest report by the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor, a Boston-based research consortium. A 2010 study released by the U.S. Small Business Administration reported a similar result: Although America remains near the top of the world in terms of entrepreneurial aspirations -- that is, the percentage of people who want to start new things—in terms of actual start-up activity, our country has fallen behind not just Norway but also Canada, Denmark, and Switzerland.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I heard a theory once that the UK had so many great rock bands in the '60s and '70s because the welfare state was so generous you could basically start up a band and get the dole until it took off (if it ever took off.) Most bands were no-hopers but some made it huge, which continued paying off for the country for years. This is also one of the reason why Scandinavia is punching above its weight in business and the creative industries; people aren't afraid to take risks, because a generous government will pick up the pieces if they fail.

It's a hard sell to taxpayers, though. "Let's fund a load of idiots pissing around pretending to be authors/musicians/entrepreneurs/actors with your cash earned as a wage slave, because one day a small percentage of them will make it big."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Inverse Icarus posted:

Wasn't this a Bad With Money Simpsons episode?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, a lot of different people are gonna eventually lose their jobs but I think drivers will probably be t
It's gonna be funny as hell watching "Americas backbone" slowly turn leftist.

By "turn leftist," I take it you mean "inadvertently drive up costs and render businesses uncompetitive by fighting to inflate wages and preserve jobs that technology and globalization have rendered economically unviable."

Can't wait. Should be exciting television when the whole country consists of walled islands of affluence patrolled by terminator robots protecting the Good with Money crowd from uneducated, obsolete meatbags.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

BarbarianElephant posted:

I heard a theory once that the UK had so many great rock bands in the '60s and '70s because the welfare state was so generous you could basically start up a band and get the dole until it took off (if it ever took off.) Most bands were no-hopers but some made it huge, which continued paying off for the country for years. This is also one of the reason why Scandinavia is punching above its weight in business and the creative industries; people aren't afraid to take risks, because a generous government will pick up the pieces if they fail.

It's a hard sell to taxpayers, though. "Let's fund a load of idiots pissing around pretending to be authors/musicians/entrepreneurs/actors with your cash earned as a wage slave, because one day a small percentage of them will make it big."

Any time someone talks about "free" anything, I immediately dismiss them as bad with economics.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah man its gonna rule.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Like my terminator droid will be programmed to spare beautiful women but everyone else that comes near my residence is a gonner.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Like my terminator droid will be programmed to spare beautiful women but everyone else that comes near my residence is a gonner.

What if you just gave away the droids, but microtransactioned all their protocals?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Call now and we'll include two plasma cannons absolutely free!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NancyPants posted:

I am pretty sure commercial vehicles are taxed. If corporations are getting out of their tax liability then maybe someone should work on closing those loopholes?

Commercial vehicles in the lower 48 states and Canadian provinces pay specific taxes through IFTA which takes mileage into account. Oregon even takes note of vehicle weight and requires a special permit to drive a class 8 truck in the state.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The children of wealthy Americans have a kickass safety net (their parents) so they can take a shot at starting a business.

Being born into wealth - good with money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I quit my job and sold my car and it somehow took me a year and a half to make another one of those monthly box of random poo poo ordering websites:

quote:

A little about me: When I was about nine, my dad (a Marine on deployment) sent me and my brother an unexpected package from Japan. It was full of the craziest snacks and candy I have ever seen. Nine-year-old me was in awe. Everything was so much different than what we think of when we think about snack food.
About a year and a half ago, I remembered that package and I wondered if a company sent out surprise international snack boxes. Surprisingly I found nothing. Not a thing. So I set out to make it reality. I quit my boring dead-end job as a bartender and sold my car for business capital. For the past year I've been developing the website from the ground up. The premise is simple. Every month you get a box of snacks from a completely different country and you will never know which one it is until it arrives. I think its pretty cool.
I've dedicated the past year and a half of my life to make this happen. It's been a great learning experience (and sometimes frustrating) and its finally complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/388dc6/a_year_and_a_half_ago_i_quit_my_job_and_sold_my/

Brilliant ideas so far: selling 4 snacks for $14, and 8 for $29. But the 8 snacks are higher quality. But he doesn't say that anywhere on the site.

And of course, this is on the front page of Reddit because entrepreneurial spirit!

• Locked thread