Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wayfinder posted:

Is this a test? I'm great at tests!!

I'll take that as "yes, I'm the rear end in a top hat who jumps in front of oncoming traffic and gets pissed off at drivers" and "continue along until I t-bone the offending vehicle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Geoj posted:

I'll take that as "yes, I'm the rear end in a top hat who jumps in front of oncoming traffic and gets pissed off at drivers" and "continue along until I t-bone the offending vehicle."

If it makes you happy :)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
The whole right of way vs exercising caution/self-preservation argument is amazing.

I really wonder if some of you were in a situation where you came around a blind corner to find an oncoming vehicle in your lane, would you just go "RIGHT OF WAY, MOTHERFUCKER!" and hit them head-on, or go "Oh gently caress this!" and make an evasive maneuver.

For a cyclist following that green path they can see part of my van edging forward through stationary traffic before i can see them. They would've been able to see my headlight (always on) and indicator (flashing!) before they became visible to me.

But no, right of way, go 20mph down the blind side of traffic coming up to a junction. By the time i edge forward enough to be able to see them, the nose of my van has taken up that 2' of gap they're riding in.

I'm sure some of you think i just drive carelessly, see my turn and swing the wheel, no fucks given. That is not the case, and it is obviously hard to convey all aspects and details of any given situation such as this. In the real world right of way is limited, you simply cannot simply see everything without entering someone's path sometimes. You can't check every mirror at once, or see things in your (large, in the case of my van) blind spots, etc.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 1, 2015

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InterceptorV8 posted:

I saw an idiot the other day use one of those interstate crossovers that police, wrenchmobiles and meatwagons use. Pretty sure his 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix isn't on the list of approved cars to use it, but the best thing about it was it kicked it over into the slow lane and almost got rear end rammed by a "train". Guy got on the brakes hard enough to make his last wagon come out and wiggle.

THEN he took off.

I gave him the devo treatment before he passed me though. drat near stuffed his own head into the windshield.

I think the fact that I can't understand what you're saying makes this funnier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wayfinder posted:

Perhaps we could start by not assuming there's nobody in our blind spots? We know where they are.

I'll meet you half-way, just don't hide from my goddamn mirrors like you're loving Medusa.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why some areas assign fault to both parties or the one who didn't actually cause the accident.

Argument being, everyone has a responsibility to drive alert and avoid collisions even if it's the other person who was breaking the rules or being an idiot.

It sort of makes sense, granted sometimes good people get screwed, but the concept of making safety everyone's job is reasonable too.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

xzzy posted:

This is why some areas assign fault to both parties or the one who didn't actually cause the accident.

Argument being, everyone has a responsibility to drive alert and avoid collisions even if it's the other person who was breaking the rules or being an idiot.

It sort of makes sense, granted sometimes good people get screwed, but the concept of making safety everyone's job is reasonable too.

A drivers ed teacher told me that, in his opinion, the person "at fault" is the one who had the last clear chance to avoid the accident but didn't. it becomes a matter of circumstances in any given collision, I suppose.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think we can all agree that the wayfinder is the poster at fault for this garbage discussion.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

wayfinder posted:

So if I understand the rear end in a top hat faction correctly, we should do away with any right-of-way for physically inferior traffic? Smaller cars, bike, cyclists, pedestrians? Might makes right? If you're going to suffer in a collision, it's your responsibility and yours only to avoid it?

That seems... well, appropriate for uncivilized assholes.

No, right of way exists. But as someone who has walked/bike/rollerbladed everywhere a lot when I was younger, I didn't give a poo poo if I had right of way. I watched the gently caress out for thousands of pounds of metal coming at me, since a lot of pedestrian crossings/vehicles/etc ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OBSCURE ME FROM EVEN THE MOST OBSERVANT OF PEOPLE until its too late. So I'll crawl through and poke my nose out first. Because I'm not a loving idiot.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The cyclist had right of way

You crossed his right of way

It is your duty to look out for him not his to look out for you

This was your fault.

Would you also like me to quote case law around specific accidents to back up the point further?

Alot of cyclists try and kill themselves. That is not the case here.

Nah mate.

Highway Code posted:

DO NOT
overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
where the road narrows
when approaching a school crossing patrol
between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down
at a level crossing
when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled
stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left
when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was gonna say, I don't see a marked bike lane on that street at all, but I'm not sure how it works in the UK. In the US, the cyclist is 100% at fault for passing standing traffic without a marked bike lane. 20 years ago I witnessed an accident in mooseykins' exact scenario (except the cyclist didn't stop and instantaneously exceeded the 206 bone limit in the human body), and I was called to court to witness. The cyclist lost because in the absence of a bike lane he should have been in the traffic queue like all the other vehicles. If there was a bike lane, the van driver would have been obligated to look out for the cyclist.

Do cyclists really have the right of way when passing traffic between cars and the curb in the UK?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Going by our laws in Sweden you can be a dumbass waste of sphinxters and meat and walk or bike out directly in front of a vehicle, even a train, and it won't be your fault, as long as it's a bike lane or a place you are allowed to go, and boy to people try for speed records on their bikes around here. There are no speed limits on bicyclists, nor are you required to look any direction at all before you cross the road, or use your brain.

Some years ago a truck at a real tight spot backed out slow, all the warning signals and flashers going while in a "DO NOT loving BE HERE" area. A lady with a bike and no attention ended up on a side of Mansfield Bar and also dead (more like a van gigantic enough to have a mansfield bar, brainfarted my words away). That driver got most of the blame even though his view was blocked by another vehicle parked next to him.

This is why I carry cash money. "You ain't seen nothing, biker died immediately on impact, a'ight?"

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Mooseykins posted:

I really wonder if some of you were in a situation where you came around a blind corner to find an oncoming vehicle in your lane, would you just go "RIGHT OF WAY, MOTHERFUCKER!" and hit them head-on, or go "Oh gently caress this!" and make an evasive maneuver.

If its an animal in your lane you should hit it rather than go offroad and damage your car. Insurance won't pay out unless there is a dead animal, just looks like you drove like a dumbass and tried to blame it on a deer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Cyclist chat:

I live in Denver, well, southwest of it and commute into Denver for work, so I deal with a shitload of cyclists whenever I drive. My favorite is right here:

Do you see those two small posts on either side of the road where it crosses that trail? Those are stop signs for cyclists. Guess which group of people fail to stop and watch for traffic, and thusly I panic brake for at least once a day? Cyclists.

Here are the rules cyclists must follow in Colorado:

https://bicyclecolorado.org/learn/colorado-bicycle-laws/

A few violations from the list that are just absurdly stupid that I see everyday:

• Riding upstream one-way streets
  • Not signaling turns
  • Running red lights
  • Not announcing intent to pass pedestrians when riding on the sidewalk

These are legitimate laws, and Colorado treats cyclists similarly to motor vehicles as defined in CRS 42-4-1412:

quote:

Every person riding a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this article...

So yeah, I'm pretty well versed in what's legal in Colorado and it drives me up the loving wall that so many people ignore common sense laws and either cause trouble for pedestrians or motor vehicles, or otherwise expose themselves to potential serious injury. I happen to really like how Colorado handles cycling laws; they prevent people driving the 3000 pound deathmobiles from being at fault when an idiot cyclist decides to blast through a red light.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a little sympathy for bicycles simply because it takes a lot more effort to go from 20 to 0 and back on a bike than it takes for a soccer mom to lift their fat foot off the X5's accelerator pedal, but when I ride my bike I avoid high traffic areas. Instead, I go to the designated city bike path where I can get yelled at by more soccer moms walking 2 and 3 abreast with strollers. :v:

In other news, my house is the 2nd from the corner of a 3 way intersection, around the corner there was a house for sale for over a year and it finally sold. Apparently the new resident is a soccer mom oval office with an X5 training for a formula 1 race. In the last two weeks, as I am backing out of my garage, I have nearly been hit three times by this lady squealing her tires around the corner at obscene speeds. So I called the local police and described the behavior and approximate time it usually happens, at least this way if when she finally rearends (t-bones?) me I can have a record of her lovely driving.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Instead, I go to the designated city bike path where I can get yelled at by more soccer moms walking 2 and 3 abreast with strollers. :v:

It's loving dogs where I'm at. Earlier this spring, I came upon two young ladies walking their two dogs, each on one half of the path with their dog on the opposite side, their leases crisscrossed in the middle. Last week it was a guy standing in the middle of the path at the bottom of a steep hill with two dogs, one dog sniffing around on one side, the other dog wandering off in the other direction.

At least the novelty of nice weather has worn off and the path is much less crowded these days.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
A big shout out to a husband and wife and several kids and dogs not on leashes all slowly crossing a parking lot all spread out across a parking lot driveway. Just take your time, we'll all wait for you to get your picnic set up before we go anywhere

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

e: if I'm driving along at, say, 50 MPH and I see someone ahead that has blocked an intersection and have plenty of time to stop, should I A) like a "reasonable person" who is interested in self-preservation, come to a controlled stop and wait for the intersection to clear, or B) continue along at 50 MPH until I t-bone the offending vehicle just because the law technically says I'm in the right?

You cannot legally enter a blocked intersection, so your question is stupid and nonsensical, as A is the only legal approach.

Also, the bicyclist was legally and technically in the right, but he should have exercised more caution, due to traffic and being soft and squishy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Safety Dance posted:

I think we can all agree that the wayfinder is the poster at fault for this garbage discussion.

As is traditional

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

LloydDobler posted:

I was gonna say, I don't see a marked bike lane on that street at all, but I'm not sure how it works in the UK. In the US, the cyclist is 100% at fault for passing standing traffic without a marked bike lane. 20 years ago I witnessed an accident in mooseykins' exact scenario (except the cyclist didn't stop and instantaneously exceeded the 206 bone limit in the human body), and I was called to court to witness. The cyclist lost because in the absence of a bike lane he should have been in the traffic queue like all the other vehicles. If there was a bike lane, the van driver would have been obligated to look out for the cyclist.

Do cyclists really have the right of way when passing traffic between cars and the curb in the UK?

It depends on the local laws in the U.S. In some places it's legal to filter past stopped traffic on a bike. A large degree of care needs to be exercised when doing so, however

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't sit in a line of traffic on two wheels because I don't want to get rear ended. If there's space I'm moving up to the front. However, if traffic starts moving I'm not going up the inside of a car that may or may not be turning and will then slot into traffic to go through the intersection. A friend of mine started going up the inside of moving traffic twice last week on a group ride and I had to yell at him, and he should know better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I saw a really special person on the way home this afternoon. At the below on-ramp, which as you can see is loving gigantic enough that the most anemic car on the planet should have no problem getting up to at least *close* to the speed limit before merging, some person in some sort of boring white 4-door mid-sized car drove to approximately the location of the red circle in the picture, and came to a complete loving stop, and then proceeded to enter the interstate at a very relaxing and slow rate of acceleration.

Oh yea, the speed limit here is 75mph, which means traffic is rolling at 80mph at least. It's on the dash cam, but it was far enough up ahead that there isn't anything to see really, since the semi that this special person pulled in front of was able to safely switch to the left lane instead of turning the car into an explosion of wreckage.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Such a waste. Long-rear end onramps are the poo poo. I'm usually doing 90 at the bottom and have to check myself to merge.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

My daily commute involves a very long on ramp (nearly a half mile of straight road after a turn that an average car could comfortably take at 50mph) and at least a couple times a week I find myself stuck behind a car that putters down it at 40 and doesn't even start to accelerate up to the~70mph speed of traffic until after the merge point. A handful of times I've had to gun it and cross the (less than a lane wide for most of its length) gore into a gap because otherwise I'd have been sitting on the shoulder for a while.

Haven't had one stop yet, at least.

Theris fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Came across this scene yesterday on my way home from work. At first i thought there had been an accident but after i stopped and got off my bike i realized that no, an XC90 (brand new 2015my!) had just decided to stop in the middle of the road with the right side indicators on. Not only is he blocking the road but also the exit from the parking lot. By the time i got there a queue had already formed behind it (this is 5 o'clock rush hour traffic) and while i was watching it sat there for at least 5 minutes while being constantly bombarded by honking. Now and then cars would pass but there was quite a lot of cross traffic so progress was slow. I was intrigued to say the least by this spectacle and i had to know what was going on so i stuck around. After 5 minutes a middle aged woman comes out of the store across the parking lot and walks down to the car (this alone takes like 45 seconds), get's in the passenger seat and the car drives off. I don't understand. There is no explanation.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Rounded a corner this morning to find two builders' lorries parked abreast on a narrow street, completely blocking the road. Both drivers stared at me for a few seconds expecting me to turn around before one got back in his cab and took two attempts to pull up just far enough to leave a gap of maybe 6 inches either side of my wing mirrors to squeeze through.

The first time the gap he left was maybe two feet at most and he had the audacity to start waving his arms around in frustration when I couldn't phase my car through a gap most bikes couldn't manage easily. Why not just park behind each other?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Killstick posted:

Came across this scene yesterday on my way home from work. At first i thought there had been an accident but after i stopped and got off my bike i realized that no, an XC90 (brand new 2015my!) had just decided to stop in the middle of the road with the right side indicators on. Not only is he blocking the road but also the exit from the parking lot. By the time i got there a queue had already formed behind it (this is 5 o'clock rush hour traffic) and while i was watching it sat there for at least 5 minutes while being constantly bombarded by honking. Now and then cars would pass but there was quite a lot of cross traffic so progress was slow. I was intrigued to say the least by this spectacle and i had to know what was going on so i stuck around. After 5 minutes a middle aged woman comes out of the store across the parking lot and walks down to the car (this alone takes like 45 seconds), get's in the passenger seat and the car drives off. I don't understand. There is no explanation.

People are incredibly selfish.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PaganGoatPants posted:

People are terrible and for the most part deserve to be slaughtered without mercy as sacrifice to the dark lord himself, Kromdar.

May he spare my immortal soul from the all-devouring flames of the depths for the offerings of others.

:agreed:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
This morning I was stopped at the corner of my street because there was a bus picking up children at the corner. This Infiniti pulls up next to me, this is a residential street with two lanes, kind of does a rolling stop, and guns it and turns left.

The bus driver let me go before traffic resumed and I also made a left. The Infiniti got stuck behind another bus. Instead of waiting to make a left at the next light, there's a bus stop to the left of the intersection so he cut through there instead.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

The Locator posted:

So I saw a really special person on the way home this afternoon. At the below on-ramp, which as you can see is loving gigantic enough that the most anemic car on the planet should have no problem getting up to at least *close* to the speed limit before merging, some person in some sort of boring white 4-door mid-sized car drove to approximately the location of the red circle in the picture, and came to a complete loving stop, and then proceeded to enter the interstate at a very relaxing and slow rate of acceleration.

Oh yea, the speed limit here is 75mph, which means traffic is rolling at 80mph at least. It's on the dash cam, but it was far enough up ahead that there isn't anything to see really, since the semi that this special person pulled in front of was able to safely switch to the left lane instead of turning the car into an explosion of wreckage.

They were probably from Pennsylvania. I'd never seen it in New England, but apparently it's a thing here.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Alarbus posted:

I'd never seen it in New England, but apparently it's a thing here.

I saw it no more than a week ago here on I-95S in Maine. Complete stop, turn signal and all.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

People are incredibly selfish.

It's just so confusing because there's a parking lot right there, and you can drive right up to the door of the store. Why stop 60 meters away on the road?? It's longer to walk, inconvinient and just makes no sense. Maybe the XC90 can only go in a straight line.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Killstick posted:

5 Minutes really? I understand that no matter how dumb and selfish people are we're not supposed to gently caress with other people's cars, but sitting there for that long is that the kind of thing you can just walk up and let most of the air out of their tires? Not so that it'll slice them up as they drive off but enough that they'll notice and have to pull over somewhere close and re-inflate them. The kind of hassle that may take them I dunno, 5 minutes.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

davebo posted:

5 Minutes really? I understand that no matter how dumb and selfish people are we're not supposed to gently caress with other people's cars, but sitting there for that long is that the kind of thing you can just walk up and let most of the air out of their tires? Not so that it'll slice them up as they drive off but enough that they'll notice and have to pull over somewhere close and re-inflate them. The kind of hassle that may take them I dunno, 5 minutes.

The person who blocks traffic for 5 minutes is the same person who will not give two shits about their underinflated tires, until they burst on the highway and spray your car (or a bus full of puppies) with shards of rubber, at which point they will inexplicably still come out ahead in some manner because of good samaritans.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

She didn't see the column of tanks she was driving into. She is one of the many people we share a road with.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
"The car, however, suffered 12,000 euros (£8,600) worth of damage.
The tank, not entirely surprisingly - was unscathed."

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a little sympathy for bicycles simply because it takes a lot more effort to go from 20 to 0 and back on a bike than it takes for a soccer mom to lift their fat foot off the X5's accelerator pedal, but when I ride my bike I avoid high traffic areas. Instead, I go to the designated city bike path where I can get yelled at by more soccer moms walking 2 and 3 abreast with strollers. :v:

I dunno, if you aren't a fat out of breath moron who can't plan their route, it's not a problem. I find it hilarious (and tragic) when I see people red light jump past me instead of stopping for 10 seconds. The light turns green and I'm effortlessly passing them after just a couple of pedal turns, and I'm no lycra + carbon fibre bike nerd. I got a pretty heavy bike from the 70's. 10 speed at least. There is no excuse for jumping red lights, and over here, in the city voted best city in the country for bicycles and where riding on sidewalks is illegal, there is no excuse for blowing past people on the sidewalk because you are afraid to go on the road on the few places that you have to.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Here's one.

This guy, and every single person like him. E-bikes are the worst thing to be added to the transportation mix since the invention of the wheel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pfox posted:

Here's one.

This guy, and every single person like him. E-bikes are the worst thing to be added to the transportation mix since the invention of the wheel.

I see... a scooter? You're going to have to be way more specific about why this is weird or annoying, because I've got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Looks like it has pedals. Is it an electric moped in scooter plastic?