Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

You give a non zero amount of poo poo about space and technology and space technology and elon musk

You give a zero amount of poo poo about treating animals humanely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jonah Galtberg posted:

You give a non zero amount of poo poo about space and technology and space technology and elon musk

Splode posted:

Like, the poor treatment of animals in the meat industry is really bad and should be stopped but:

You know what your problem is, Jonah? You suck at reading.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Splode posted:

Like, humans are omnivores dude. We eat meat.

That's a false equation, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. We could technically eat human flesh, and there are a bunch of arguments for it - to my knowledge the only reason it was an issue in PNG was because they ate the raw brain as well, which transmitted a hosed up parasite every which way.

Like humans are pretty good scavengers and we can subsist on a lot of lovely diets but that doesn't mean we should, in an ideal world.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Both these things are important to someone with any level of science literacy. What does space have to do with anything.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Getting to space is a great way to foster international diplomacy, global telecommunications, new technology, and science - as well as related education systems, making the world smarter and better educated.

While factory farm animals are suffering lovely torture on an unthinkable scale so that we can get heart disease from cheap meat and turn the earth into a fart-filled greenhouse plagued by antibiotics resistant superbugs

bro. BRO. Think about the first stage boostbacks. Think about the fuel crossfeeds.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Both these things are important to someone with any level of science literacy. What does space have to do with anything.

Jonah is angry at me because I warn other posters that he is a Known Idiot when he tries to derail the spaceflight megathread

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

You know what your problem is, Jonah? You suck at reading.

"but"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Jonah Galtberg posted:

bro. BRO. Think about the first stage boostbacks. Think about the fuel crossfeeds.

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean I agree with you or don't think you're a bad poster

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

Jonah is angry at me because I warn other posters that he is a Known Idiot when he tries to derail the spaceflight megathread

Yeah that's why I don't like you

It has nothing to do with you being a tremendous spergbot who makes animal sacrifices to the machine god

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

should I record myself reading it out very slowly?

I went on to say that I don't have a problem with animals that have been treated well being slaughtered for meat.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean I agree with you or don't think you're a bad poster

I'm crushed

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Can we stop fighting and stand united in the realisation that we're all worthless grubs in the eyes of functioning adults who actually do something productive instead of arguing about farts and space marines on the internet

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Can we stop fighting and stand united in the realisation that we're all worthless grubs in the eyes of functioning adults who actually do something productive instead of arguing about farts and space marines on the internet

I legitimately enjoyed our discussion earlier Sulla, I hope you did too.

Now Jonah is here it's not worth continuing, but it was good while it lasted.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I mostly feel just shame and self-disgust because I've been home for 90 minutes now and I've done nothing but argue about lentils on something awful dot internet

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I mostly feel just shame and self-disgust because I've been home for 90 minutes now and I've done nothing but argue about lentils on something awful dot internet

I was avoiding doing uni work, I'm sorry for your loss

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought you were just being ironically angry..!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

I thought you were just being ironically angry..!

I don't know if you're talking to me or Splode, but while I don't feel angry I also know I'm not smart enough to be ironic so I defer to the judgment of my betters i.e. everyone

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sulla is a state that transcends mere human emotions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I just had an abortion.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I just had an abortion.

the only morally defensible doner kebab

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I just had an abortion.

mlyp

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't know if you're talking to me or Splode, but while I don't feel angry I also know I'm not smart enough to be ironic so I defer to the judgment of my betters i.e. everyone

That's ok, you're pretty good and cool anyway and I value your posting :)

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Splode posted:

I disagree, Jonah, but do go on. :allears:

Jonah, you goofball, I'm on your side in the monthly "SpaceX are evil libertarian shitlords" arguments in the spaceflight megathread. I just think you personally are an idiot.

Like, the poor treatment of animals in the meat industry is really bad and should be stopped but:

Like, humans are omnivores dude. We eat meat.

The point that I'm probably badly trying to make is that we should eat meat, just much less and meat that has been raised actually free ranged and has had a nice happy life. Which makes it more expensive so there is less of it but it's still there for special occasions of whatever.

I don't see how this discussion is any worse than the start of this thread or the 10 pages of fighting IWC over asylum seekers of climate change what exactly is the problem? Sustainability of the meat industry is a political issue and it's relevant, dismissal and jokes about it is like dismissing and joking about climate change. Why does this upset people so much?

The TPP is bad, labor and the liberals are both really bad and will let it screw us forever. We can talk about it being really bad and when we have more information maybe some smart people can discuss what exactly it will mean for Australia's lovely future. You can commit to eating less meat and maybe one day get someone else to do the same. At least that is somewhat productive in a small way.

Anyway Sulla is much better at communicating the merits of eating less meat than me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
MUH MEAT

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

tomkash posted:

The point that I'm probably badly trying to make is that we should eat meat, just much less and meat that has been raised actually free ranged and has had a nice happy life. Which makes it more expensive so there is less of it but it's still there for special occasions of whatever.

Sounds like our positions aren't that distant really, you're just more passionate about it than I am (because I am a monster)

quote:

I don't see how this discussion is any worse than the start of this thread or the 10 pages of fighting IWC over asylum seekers of climate change what exactly is the problem? Sustainability of the meat industry is a political issue and it's relevant, dismissal and jokes about it is like dismissing and joking about climate change. Why does this upset people so much?

The TPP is bad, labor and the liberals are both really bad and will let it screw us forever. We can talk about it being really bad and when we have more information maybe some smart people can discuss what exactly it will mean for Australia's lovely future. You can commit to eating less meat and maybe one day get someone else to do the same. At least that is somewhat productive in a small way.

Anyway Sulla is much better at communicating the merits of eating less meat than me.

Relax, nobody is upset about this discussion, this is just what the thread is always like dude, you know this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chill out and eat a cow or legume or whatever. Responsibly.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
legume is such a funny word

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Thank you for your insightful contributions tonight tithin

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
This thread is hurting my head.

All I know is I want a 600g rib-eye for dinner Friday night with a couple of bottles of red and try to forget the last 11 1/2 pages.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
only real and true bosses put their fingers on their chins like that

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Graic Gabtar posted:

This thread is hurting my head.

All I know is I want a 600g rib-eye for dinner Friday night with a couple of bottles of red and try to forget the last 11 1/2 pages.

Make it a couple more bottles and forget about auspol all together TIA

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Splode posted:

Thank you for your insightful contributions tonight tithin

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

I'm just trying to put a smile on peoples faces is all

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I eat too much meat and would be very very sad to have to give it up but it's kind of an objective fact that industrial-scale meat farming (beef particularly) is an enormous contributor to greenhouse gases, water wastage, deforestation/land overuse and antibiotic resistance. It's an inefficient converter of energy into calories to say the least and it externalises a HUGE amount of its problems, i.e. it's artificially cheap.

I actually really don't care about animal rights. I care about welfare, in the sense that we shouldn't torture animals or put them through unreasonable pain, but I don't really care about the vegan argument about "but they're lives." That doesn't change that there's basically no metric by which industrial-scale meat farming isn't an ecological disaster and completely unsustainable in every possible way, and at some point inevitably meat is going to have to go up dramatically in price to reflect the massive costs to the environment and to society of raising it that are not borne by the industry.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tithin, although Scottish in manner and appearance, is a good poster.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I eat too much meat and would be very very sad to have to give it up but it's kind of an objective fact that industrial-scale meat farming (beef particularly) is an enormous contributor to greenhouse gases, water wastage, deforestation/land overuse and antibiotic resistance. It's an inefficient converter of energy into calories to say the least and it externalises a HUGE amount of its problems, i.e. it's artificially cheap.

I actually really don't care about animal rights. I care about welfare, in the sense that we shouldn't torture animals or put them through unreasonable pain, but I don't really care about the vegan argument about "but they're lives." That doesn't change that there's basically no metric by which industrial-scale meat farming isn't an ecological disaster and completely unsustainable in every possible way, and at some point inevitably meat is going to have to go up dramatically in price to reflect the massive costs to the environment and to society of raising it that are not borne by the industry.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, for the record. I will always be jealous of your ability to words good, QM.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Eat the refugees

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The great thing about weaning yourself off meat is that meat is kind of an addiction and once you're on the other side you don't tend to miss it so much. It's super easy to eat meat 24/7 and the cheap protein and fats coming in tell your body it's amazing, but it's kind of the coca cola and salt and vinegar chips of food - once you take a break from it and then come back to it with a clean slate, you feel kind of dirty eating it, emotional/moral burden aside. I used to eat meat with every meal years ago, like lamb chops and steaks and sausages and everything else and absolutely loved it. Then lifestyle changes meant I stopped eating it nearly so much, and now I've been eating a whole bunch of mostly or entirely veggie meals I can't really enjoy meat like I used to. It tastes kind of.. thick and bland. Even really good meat like a perfectly cooked fiorentina I can still appreciate, but it's just not the same, the flavours aren't as rich and varied as I get in my normal non-meat based diet.

It's hard to explain because I'm not a chef or a food enthusiast, and I wouldn't have believed it myself like 5 years ago, but the main reason I eat meat now is because it's hard to avoid it at restaurants, not because I'm on some nightmare vegetarian diet and every so often I need a 'cheat' day to convince myself that life is still worth living.

You really do acclimatise to your diet - I eat a lot more bitter things now (chicory etc) and love greens and veggies. I still enjoy that occasional dirty chemical rush from the fats and crude protein in meat, but I couldn't stomach it every night for dinner.

e: What I'm trying to say is that if you actually want to try getting away from meat, don't be afraid. We have a lot of stuff telling us how difficult it is, but if you just don't think about it for a while you'll realise that your love affair with meat was largely habitual, not because it's fundamentally or objectively the best tasting food out there. Don't be afraid to give it a shot. At the very least, don't seek to reduce meat intake directly - a good trick is to invert your meal planning. Rather than getting some meat and planning the meal (veggies and potatoes or whatever) around that, start with some veggies you want and then build on that, adding meat as it fits. Every time I go to the supermarket I kind of go "Okay I'll probably wind up getting some meat to go with this", but I start on the veggies and I get so excited about all the different types that by the time I get to the meat section there's no space left for it on my plate or in my basket.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
It's actually hard as gently caress to eat meat for every meal. Most people in Australia eat way more carbs than proteins as a percentage of calories consumed.

• Locked thread