Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Coldbird posted:

This may be shocking but the designers have may difficulty believing that someone making six figures is really sitting through a bunch of pain in the rear end obtrusive surveys for 18 cents.

Of course, in real life, income often has little to do with the amount of spare time one's job affords them, but still. All this survey stuff is a pretty good example of the weird way gamers often perceive value. Do this many of you really want this much hassle so you can save what, $5 a year? That's assuming you only spend it on games you definitely would have bought out of pocket if you weren't getting surveys, which is kind of iffy in most cases. Do you also answer those phone surveys where they promise you a $5 Starbucks gift card?

I mean, I'm not super blaming anyone, I do something like it in WoW where I pay my subscription in ingame gold that I earn by logging in daily for 10 minutes, even when I have no other reason to, which maths out to a bit under minimum wage.

I make pretty good money. The couple of cents I get from surveys don't really seem to match the money/time ratio I get from working the day job.

But at least for right now, it's novel and interesting enough that i'm answering surveys when they come up. In a month or so I might delete the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coldbird posted:

This may be shocking but the designers have may difficulty believing that someone making six figures is really sitting through a bunch of pain in the rear end obtrusive surveys for 18 cents.

Of course, in real life, income often has little to do with the amount of spare time one's job affords them, but still. All this survey stuff is a pretty good example of the weird way gamers often perceive value. Do this many of you really want this much hassle so you can save what, $5 a year? That's assuming you only spend it on games you definitely would have bought out of pocket if you weren't getting surveys, which is kind of iffy in most cases. Do you also answer those phone surveys where they promise you a $5 Starbucks gift card?

I mean, I'm not super blaming anyone, I do something like it in WoW where I pay my subscription in ingame gold that I earn by logging in daily for 10 minutes, even when I have no other reason to, which maths out to a bit under minimum wage.

It takes me ~30-40 seconds and I can do it while I walk between buildings at work, walk to my car before or after work, or while walking to where I live from where I park. It's not exactly obtrusive, and it costs me nothing in terms of time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Coldbird posted:

I do something like it in WoW where I pay my subscription in ingame gold that I earn by logging in daily for 10 minutes, even when I have no other reason to, which maths out to a bit under minimum wage.

Wait this is a thing? I mean, I've never played WoW, and I'm not likely to start, but if I was, this would be neat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guys, I wasn't trying to brag about making six figures, the joke was supposed to be that Google doesn't believe I'm capable of making even the meager five figures that I do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait this is a thing? I mean, I've never played WoW, and I'm not likely to start, but if I was, this would be neat.

Yeah, it's something they added recently; basically, people can spend :20bux: to buy a token good for a month's subscription and sell it on a separate marketplace just for these tokens, and people can buy them for in-game currency. It's basically the same as PLEX except Blizzard sets the pricing based on supply and demand (and the price you put your token up at is the amount you get, even if the price goes up or down between the time you put it up and the time it sells, so it can function as a minor gold sink in the game).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They keep asking me if I'm a B2B Tech buyer. Still, it makes a change from being asked if I'm planning to buy any apps or games in the next 30 days.

Come on Google - I've been to all sorts of interesting places in the past couple of weeks, ask me questions about them.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Angrymog posted:

They keep asking me if I'm a B2B Tech buyer. Still, it makes a change from being asked if I'm planning to buy any apps or games in the next 30 days.

Come on Google - I've been to all sorts of interesting places in the past couple of weeks, ask me questions about them.

Need to go to a water park

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I always worry about getting a duplicate survey because I don't want to give different answers. I answer honestly, but I still worry.

They should go full Tell Tale Games and after you mess up the next screen says "Google is going to remember that..."

In gaming news, I want to build a boat. That should be coming out soon, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I always worry about getting a duplicate survey because I don't want to give different answers. I answer honestly, but I still worry.

They should go full Tell Tale Games and after you mess up the next screen says "Google is going to remember that..."

Then go build a loving boat, what do we care?

Internet says June 4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Two more days! I'm probably more excited about this than I have been about any major console game in a decade.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just hope I can afford it with the $5.50 I have in survey money.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just want more surveys :negative:

Hey, so for Seabeard, do you actually get a house? Also, I want to play with fellow goons! :smith:

You do get a house. It is really pricey at 4,000 gold.

Also you can only visit other people's island and buy their stuff. Not play with them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Also you can only visit other people's island and buy their stuff. Not play with them.

Good enough for me.

What's this boat-related game?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Good enough for me.

What's this boat-related game?

The sequel to 1000000. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eightyeightgames.tenmillion&hl=en

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oshirimae man ~Osirius~ is good and hilarious. The art and music are amazing.

Also Hunger Quest is real good.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Rebuild 3 is now up on steam coming to Android and IOS in summer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shwqa posted:

Is there a way to add non-Facebook friends in Seabeard? None of my Facebook friends play it and I'm not gonna list my account on here :v:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"So, how much do you like sports?"
"I don't."
"But you probably watch the highlights, though, right?"
"Nope."
"Hey, be honest. What sports do you follow?"
"None."
"Good to know. Here's 50 cents."
"Thanks, buddy. :) "

I know it's just so they can sell targeted ads, but hey. 50 cents.

I had to quit Seabeard . My bag was always too full and I even spent a chunk of premium currency to expand it once, only for it to fill up again almost immediately, accompanied by a request to expand it again for another huge pile of premium currency. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at a quality game, but this just felt really money grabby to me.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Been playing a bit of Twisty Hollow from the bundle.

For something with such a dead-simple mechanic on the surface (three rows of six things, spin them around to line up the right combinations) it's surprisingly engrossing.

Puzzle Retreat is also pretty good.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any recommendations on an Android emulator for PC? Shamefully, I mainly want it just so I can auto-farm on Summoners War while working without draining my tablet and phone batteries constantly.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Wintermutant posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on an Android emulator for PC? Shamefully, I mainly want it just so I can auto-farm on Summoners War while working without draining my tablet and phone batteries constantly.

There's BlueStacks which is a bit of a resource hog in my experience and has a lovely custom UI trying to hawk F2P games to you but is otherwise serviceable enough. I think I remember having to install a custom launcher so get Nova or Go to get around their lovely one.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 2, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

I had to quit Seabeard . My bag was always too full and I even spent a chunk of premium currency to expand it once, only for it to fill up again almost immediately, accompanied by a request to expand it again for another huge pile of premium currency. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at a quality game, but this just felt really money grabby to me.

Honestly as bad as it seems. Items on the ground stay for 24 hours, like driftwood and claims. Fish stay for 8 hours. And anything you "craft" (this includes apples and berries) stay forever.

And you can build a warehouse fairly quickly which gives you an extra 25 slots. And they give out premium currency pretty often now. I stopped playing months ago but i had something like 75 slots in my warehouse. And I had full premium clothing for me and my crew, including my dog. The best boat. And every root cleared out. The only i couldn't afford was town decorations.

I made a how to play guide on the ios gaming thread. I can find it after work.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

FadedReality posted:

There's BlueStacks which is a bit of a resource hog in my experience and has a lovely custom UI trying to hawk F2P games to you but is otherwise serviceable enough. I think I remember having to install a custom launcher so get Nova or Go to get around their lovely one.

Also Summoners War recently changed their policy to being willing to ban for using bluestacks or other emulators, so use at your own risk.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I made a how to play guide on the ios gaming thread. I can find it after work.

I would love to read this, actually. Please post it!

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

DemonMage posted:

Also Summoners War recently changed their policy to being willing to ban for using bluestacks or other emulators, so use at your own risk.

Welp, there went that idea. Thanks for the warning.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Julet Esqu posted:

I've only been playing Seabeard for like two weeks, but I have spent nothing on it and have never felt like there was a pay-wall. The small starting bag is really annoying, but in practice it just means that you have to sell/recycle stuff more often, or maybe ignore a few of those stupid "get me this item from a specific boat game" quests. It was a pain to get all the materials, but my warehouse finished building this morning, and it came with one tab of 35 slots, with the offer of another tab for 50 pearls.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Just got 90 cents for a video survey question about BMO harris bank. Not a huge fan of having to watch a video.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Scipiotik posted:

Just got 90 cents for a video survey question about BMO harris bank. Not a huge fan of having to watch a video.

loving Goons, bitching about free money..

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Yes, so much vitriol. Maybe if you get it you'll see why I wasn't a fan of the video (here's a hint. it was a video that consisted of 4 typed sentences).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

Yes, so much vitriol. Maybe if you get it you'll see why I wasn't a fan of the video (here's a hint. it was a video that consisted of 4 typed sentences).

OH NO

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hey, so for Seabeard, do you actually get a house? Also, I want to play with fellow goons! :smith:

I just started playing this on my new iPad. I don't think there is cross platform iOS/Android is there?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Scipiotik posted:

Way to set the record straight.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Coldbird posted:

Do you also answer those phone surveys where they promise you a $5 Starbucks gift card?

I sure as hell would if they worked like Google's. The key difference is Oppinions surveys take like 3 seconds to do and pay out instantly. Those other surveys aren't actually trying to get information - they're getting you to visit 500 pages so they get adviews and/or force you to sign up for services (usually paid services) to get referall money.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Scipiotik posted:

lol , not 4 typed sentences! (what does that even mean?)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2015/06/harvest-moon-seeds-memories-announced-for-wii-u-pc-smartphones

Natsume's Harvest Moon clone Harvest Moon is coming to smartphones.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

lol , not 4 typed sentences! (what does that even mean?)

Imagine this post.

Except it is rendered in video.

So something that could take 3 seconds.

Instead takes a minute as each line fades in and out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Scipiotik posted:

Imagine this post.

Except it is rendered in video.

So something that could take 3 seconds.

Instead takes a minute as each line fades in and out.

That sounds a little mind blowing and awesome, honestly

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dehry posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/harvest-moon-seeds-memories-announced-for-wii-u-pc-smartphones

E: f, b.

I sincerely hope this is a premium app, and not bogged down by IAP.

Also, with regards to the 4 typed sentences, I think the problem comes from the fact that a video should probably consist of more than that, otherwise, why is there a video? Seems unnecessary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dehry posted:

Is there any indication Natsume know what they're doing with the series or are they just going to copy Story of Seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

precision posted:

Is there any indication Natsume know what they're doing with the series

Has there ever been? These are the people who misspelled their own name on a game...