Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

De Nomolos posted:

This is going to be the most potent sleeper issue in the GOP primary. I spotted not 5 books (including Ann Coulter) about the illegal and LEGAL immigration menace at the local B&N recently. The term "native-born" and "traditional Americans" gets thrown around a lot in these sorts of books, as if these groups possess magical skills no FORRNER is capable of understanding.

They know that the demographics don't look good for presidential years and they're taking one last stupid nativist stand.

I fully agree that the right to vote in the USA should be removed from any American citizen who can trace their ancestry to immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

I fully agree that the right to vote in the USA should be removed from any American citizen who can trace their ancestry to immigrants.
What about people who crossed the land bridge from Asia 15,000 years ago?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

What about people who crossed the land bridge from Asia 15,000 years ago?
Board the boats, border jumpers :colbert:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Yeah sure, we'll just stop the boats :smug:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AUSCOMICS

or...comic

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Karl Rove posted:

I appreciate that Bennett takes the 'exposition provided by newspaper headline' trope and actually does something with it by finding a logical place for the newspaper within the cartoon rather than someone holding it up awkwardly and talking to the reader.

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now THAT'S how you do it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Is no one going to point out the fact that Beeg successfully tricked someone into thinking that was a real Mallard Fillmore he posted about Clinton's election?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

an amélie cartoon

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tinsley whining about the first Amendment is pretty funny, considering Obama's criticism of Fox News was simply him exercising his right to free speech.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Saint Sputnik posted:

Is no one going to point out the fact that Beeg successfully tricked someone into thinking that was a real Mallard Fillmore he posted about Clinton's election?

I honestly don't know how to feel about that

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

QuoProQuid posted:

In case you were wondering what spawned this: Pope Francis is expected to release a highly anticipated encyclical framing climate change as an issue of Catholic social teaching and is drumming up support for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development. Environmental stewardship has been a policy of the Vatican since the 1920s, but apparently media personalities are just now realizing the practical implications of this policy. A few Republican leaders, including Rick Santorum, have accused the Pope of getting "too political."

I suspect that this will be taken as seriously by American conservatives as they take Rerum novarum and Quadragesimo anno.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Wait, did people think that one was real? It was signed Twinkletoes!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

More RSJ, mo' carbon credit$.

"Let's fish until there aren't any fish left!" - A Moron

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"Let's fish until there aren't any fish left!" - A Moron

I know we can say this about a few (a lot) of cartoonists here but I think Rob Smith might be the most dense of them all. His comics are so stupid that they loop back around into some sort of genius satire and I'm honestly still not sure if it's some sort of clever subversive double bluff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He really is impossibly stupid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I know we can say this about a few (a lot) of cartoonists here but I think Rob Smith might be the most dense of them all. His comics are so stupid that they loop back around into some sort of genius satire and I'm honestly still not sure if it's some sort of clever subversive double bluff.

Smith is Beck's guy, is he mormon? He'd fit the image in my mind of some sheltered pseudo-compound raised Mormon dude who just latched onto the first job he got and gee yea why WON'T the government let us fish all we want, God will just make more fish right?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yep. Only democrats do that.

Because there's no adulation of any republican politicians. Ever. No sir. Ronald who?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I can't hate someone who makes Cthulhu jokes.

So I'm just going to say that if we want people in dainty little boats like this fishing anything (besides Cthulhu, alga, and jellyfish) with a simple fishing rod and line, then commercial fishing has to be heavily regulated. Because otherwise then it's gigantic factory ships that slurp up everything the sea has to offer, leaving nothing for traditional fishermen and amateurs like the little characters from this cartoon.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year Two (June 12-17, 1995)

Apparently Clinton's visit to Moscow was something that happened in 1995. It pissed veterans off.

Was this around the time that Marion Barry got arrested for smoking crack?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Man, doesn't this just perfectly frame Mallard's opinions on that. "I don't see the problem, why shouldn't we just be happy that we won?"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

Was this around the time that Marion Barry got arrested for smoking crack?

No, Barry was arrested for crack in 1990. 1995 was when he got reelected mayor despite the arrest and being a shamelessly corrupt sleazebag in general.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I love that at the end of almost every Tinsley comic, the character saying stupid stuff is rolling his eyes at the retarded words put in his mouth.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mister Beeg posted:

Apparently Clinton's visit to Moscow was something that happened in 1995. It pissed veterans off.
And / why? It's not like google is particularly helpful.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Man, doesn't this just perfectly frame Mallard's opinions on that. "I don't see the problem, why shouldn't we just be happy that we won?"
Cringing preemptively, what's the issue here?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Xander77 posted:

He put a wreath on the grave of an SS officer, if I remember correctly.

Different president.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
Dat rear end. :drat:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

I suppose it challenged the notion that the U.S. single-handedly saved France with the help of a few plucky Brits and then marched in to Germany to give the Nazis what's coming to 'em.

Edit:
Or just the standard accusation of being soft on Russia.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 2, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The EPA man tested the well
And listeria he found

Jack and Jill ignored him still
And poo poo their guts o'er the ground

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mister Beeg posted:

Mallard Fillmore: Year Two (June 12-17, 1995)

Yeah this one, this one I hate the most.

Can't wait for 9/11 and Bill's scandal. I guess before that we have...Britney Spears?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

Cringing preemptively, what's the issue here?
The reason why it's no longer a national holiday is that some people were not comfortable with essentially celebrating the anniversary of the United States nuking two civilian cities. Obviously Japan wasn't exactly thrilled with it, which is more or less the reason it stopped being a federal holiday, because Japan became a US ally. Rhode Island still celebrates it with the argument that it's to honour those fallen in the Pacific Theatre. Mallard of course sees absolutely no grey area in celebrating victory over Japan regardless of the context because USA! USA! USA!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Muir rewrote the first panel.

Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of these DBD comics? I keep seeing them posted (and they definitely belong in this thread) and they're completely nonsensical.

The writing and art are pretty bad, but the message... is there even a message? Is there anything coherent to any of this? It just seems like completely random rambling in the form of a comic, like somebody on way too many drugs just spewing out verbal diarrhea.

Like was he trying to write a satire to say something pro women's rights or is he doing this stuff straight as an MRA? I don't even know.

Are these even political cartoons or is it just his insane webcomic fantasy, like CAD or something? I mean it seemed like there was a whole run of pages there just about some bearded dude running a brothel with his wife or something? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

I guess this panel here is criticism of Hillary? Doesn't really address any issue whatsoever though, just kinda comes down to "people like Hillary and that's really dumb"

I dunno this comic is just like, loving with my head with how stupid it is.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The reason why it's no longer a national holiday is that some people were not comfortable with essentially celebrating the anniversary of the United States nuking two civilian cities. Obviously Japan wasn't exactly thrilled with it, which is more or less the reason it stopped being a federal holiday, because Japan became a US ally.
Should have seen this coming.

Is V-day "essentially" celebrating the firebombing of Dresden (and all the various other bombings of civilian population throughout the European campaign)? Why didn't that get stopped because Germany because a US ally?

Edit - All the talk about fishing, and no one brought up "suppose to catch"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2015

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I love how disingenuous he's being in his description. "Folks been fishing since nigh on always, what's wrong with a bit of fishing to put food on your plate?"

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Is V-day "essentially" celebrating the firebombing of Dresden (and all the various other bombings of civilian population throughout the European campaign)? Why didn't that get stopped because Germany because a US ally?

We don't celebrate that either :v:

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Commercial fishing: two beered up Dads in a boat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Xander77 posted:

I think it's a problem because V-E day involves more than one country, whereas V-J day is specific about who was the problem.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I mean I don't know about you but I can't think of a time I've ever seen V-Day celebrated in a big way.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BerkerkLurk posted:

Commercial fishing: two beered up Dads in a boat.

Yeah the kind of fishing you'd see in a commercial!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zaphod42 posted:

Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of these DBD comics?

An insane man lays down sick burns against the Dems prior to loving a blowup doll that he imagines to be real.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

An insane man lays down sick burns against the Dems prior to loving a blowup doll that he imagines to be real.

Yeah that's about what I figured. And the internet gives him a soapbox even though no newspaper ever would? Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

• Locked thread