Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ya know, I'd trade this feeling of relief knowing that we have another full empty year between now and the next session of nonsense in exchange for having a functional legislature that actually shows up to work in one of the biggest hubs of the country.

I disagree. Having the lege only meet every other year keeps the crazies from doing too much damage and lets far more reasonable bureaucrats/committees in Austin actually manage the state.

zoux posted:

No, it passed. It was watered down a bit to permit presidents to set gun-free zones if they can justify it and if regents say ok.

There are probably a couple of thousand CHL holders in Texas that go to college. I think both "big gun bills" were more or less non-issues that will have very little impact on people day to day.

This is true. Campus carry got a lot of ink but it was basically this session's version of the Sanctuary Cities bill (which threatened cutting off funding for cities doing something that no city was actually going to do), a dumb red-meat bill that people spent a lot of time fighting over has little to no actual effect. Honestly, though, going back to my earlier point: better to let the nut-cases waste their time fighting over campus carry than doing something that would seriously damage the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a list of bills that didn't pass.

My experience is that every bill, no matter what stage of the process it's in, that gets reported on becomes a new law in the minds of people that hear about it, so use this to settled down/rile up your less informed friends and family.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

quote:

HB 1018
Author: Rep. Charlie Geren, R-Fort Worth
Purpose: Prohibit the production, sale and possession of powdered alcohol
How it died: Passed House committee, but did not come up on House floor

I :lol:ed because I though it was a joke but it turns out the feds approved a powdered alcohol in March. What a strange way to find this out.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That powdered alcohol one is probably just a bit premature. Once the stuff starts being widely sold you'll probably see it come up again in a lot more places.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea powdered alcohol is gonna be A Thing to deal with at some point, that poo poo's real dumb.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea powdered alcohol is gonna be A Thing to deal with at some point, that poo poo's real dumb.

I agree 100%. Powdered alcohol is going to lead to some really stupid/dangerous drivers.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

e_angst posted:

Hey, his concern trolling pushed the Texas thread far above the California thread, which I always take as a good sign.

The one thing all Texans can agree on.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Yesterday, in my internal auditing class we learned about 21CT. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of that before, it's like a software company had effectively star citizen'd both the state and federal governments, almost to the tune of 110 Million. :stare:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sardonik posted:

Yesterday, in my internal auditing class we learned about 21CT. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of that before, it's like a software company had effectively star citizen'd both the state and federal governments, almost to the tune of 110 Million. :stare:

Can you elaborate on what they did? I haven't followed it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Pretty standard stuff, conflicts of interest, padding contracts, etc.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The statesman has a pretty good write-up and a good timeline.

The short version is, in my understanding, that one official crammed a contract with 21ct, a company that purported to programmatically catch medicare fraud using advanced detection methods. The official ignored the bids from the legitimate companies like SAP and went with 21CT, even though they were not equipped for it. The contract with 21CT had no metrics for success, and was essentially a blank check, and seems to have gone through little to no review process at all.

I'm probably bungling some of that but in general it looks pretty fraudulent.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I agree 100%. Powdered alcohol is going to lead to some really stupid/dangerous drivers.

lol no it wont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYP085QJvtk

how about people just listen to the creator himself talk about how this cant possibly be a thing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The creator is full of poo poo and kids will just snort it.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

The creator is full of poo poo and kids will just snort it.

Did you see how much powder it took to make one shot? Those are gonna be some huge rails.

But yeah, kids are stupid and will snort it anyways.

Honestly I don't care what happens to this product since I have no interest in purchasing it. Even as a hiker (his target consumer) I have no intent of giving up my my beloved camping flask.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kids are going to put it in their butts.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kids will snort it and suffer just like when they try any other dumb stunt so I'm glad.

Frats have their butt chugging techniques down and I just don't think there's room for improvement

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Alcohol will continue to be a societal ill and a good detection method for idiots. Shame about the collateral damage.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sardonik posted:

The statesman has a pretty good write-up and a good timeline.

The short version is, in my understanding, that one official crammed a contract with 21ct, a company that purported to programmatically catch medicare fraud using advanced detection methods. The official ignored the bids from the legitimate companies like SAP and went with 21CT, even though they were not equipped for it. The contract with 21CT had no metrics for success, and was essentially a blank check, and seems to have gone through little to no review process at all.

I'm probably bungling some of that but in general it looks pretty fraudulent.

I was with you here until you said SAP was a legit company. I've watched SAP milk contracts with private companies for tons more than what the contract stated. If you think SAP wouldn't be just as bad (if not worse) than 21CT, then hahahahahaha.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

poemdexter posted:

I was with you here until you said SAP was a legit company. I've watched SAP milk contracts with private companies for tons more than what the contract stated. If you think SAP wouldn't be just as bad (if not worse) than 21CT, then hahahahahaha.

I think SAP would at least pretend they were getting the job done, by throwing things out like metrics for the project. 21CT was almost comical in how little they did and how loose their requirements were.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

karlor posted:

I :lol:ed because I though it was a joke but it turns out the feds approved a powdered alcohol in March. What a strange way to find this out.

That's cool. Ohio just banned it.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bill-to-ban-pure-caffeine-powdered-alcohol-6304042.php

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Kids are going to put it in their butts.

trying to figure out how to do this.

I just don't see the issue with the powdered alcohol.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Thank you, thread, for making me aware of Geren using a cookie on a string in an attempt to lure Stickland away from the mic. That is the best thing to come out of Texas politics in ages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Geren loving hates Stickland. All the old school reps do, it owns.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Our very own Republican Schrute/Halpert duo

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Thank you, thread, for making me aware of Geren using a cookie on a string in an attempt to lure Stickland away from the mic. That is the best thing to come out of Texas politics in ages.

wait, what? please tell me this was a literal thing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

spoon daddy posted:

wait, what? please tell me this was a literal thing.

My understanding is that this was a literal thing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
From a tea party blog

quote:

As Stickland attempted to offer his amendment to the Open Carry bill, Geren took an oatmeal and raisin cookie, wrapped a string around it, and dragged it across the floor of the Texas House of Representatives in a feeble and mean-spirited attempt to “lure” Stickland away from the podium. Of course his Democrat and fellow RINO counterparts, in addition to the Austin media class, found this just hilarious.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

After looking up a picture of Rep. Strickland, I also found it just hilarious.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, like he'd fall for an oatmeal raisin cookie.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ugh, you liberals are so mean to a brave survivor of the fetus holocaust. A former fetus makes an impassioned speech for the right to bear arms to defend himself from a late-late-late-late-late-late-late-late-late-late term abortion and all you can do is crack fat jokes about a man who has been through so much danger and lived to tell the tale :smith:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I actually agree with his politics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I actually agree with his politics.

No, you don't.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I can't figure out if the beard is working for him or not, but he definitely makes enough money to see a tailor and get a suit jacket that fits properly.

Of course, the fact that he's getting trolled by this guy is also hilarious:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If I were him I would have definitely added the R to my name that everyone assumes is there. Stickland sounds ridiculous anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

If I were him I would have definitely added the R to my name that everyone assumes is there. Stickland sounds ridiculous anyway.

Senfronia constantly calls him Sticky from the front mic.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

"Actually it's about gaming journalism women's health".

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sticky is my favorite legislator because he 100% doesn't understand that a large part of passing your agenda involves being liked.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

My phone autocorrected me! It must have picked up on my posting habits in the King of the Hill thread.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I can't figure out if the beard is working for him or not, but he definitely makes enough money to see a tailor and get a suit jacket that fits properly.

While it's nice to see Bulk have a career outside of Power Rangers I am saddened that he's such a turd in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

First TMF, now LVP. San Antonio with the surprises!

(On a sub 15% turnout :ughh:)