Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tywin Lannister not being able to acquire a blade when a loving sellsword captain in Essos carries one and tons of houses which could've easily been coerced into selling exist in westeros is ridiculous.

Wasn't there a little bit of "gently caress the Lannisters" going on here too? Tywin running around trying to buy them probably made for some funny crows flying around between the owners after his failed attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Syncopated posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31/game-thrones-lady-stoneheart/article_2205333

Regarding the earlier discussion of LOTR and this series, George talks a bit in this interview about how much the death of Gandalf and Boromir affected him.

I liked how Emelia Clarke gave away the ending to the series in the attached video.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ross posted:

I liked how Emelia Clarke gave away the ending to the series in the attached video.

I dunno, I think "Jon Snow gets progressively more upset" deserves to be a thread title at some point.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know if there are hundreds of blades but there are definitely a few dozens, if House loving Drumm of Old Wyk has a Valyrian sword there's obviously quite a few pieces, not to mention a valyrian steel dagger in Robert's armory nobody even noticed went missing when Joff stole it back in the first book. Or some sellsword in essos having a valyrian steel arakh, etc.

The Wiki has a list of known and lost Valyrian blades - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't know, I could watch Tyrion poke holes in Dany's plans for days. He is just a great character and actor and Dany is so boring and I hate her. I've been waiting to see what happened at Hardhome for years and was not disappointed. I wonder how the books will treat the battle. There was nothing as ominous as dead things in the water.

More "two people in a room talking"... I thought tyrion was a bit irritating at the end for some reason. Like, still all arrogant and poo poo. BTW, Dumb rear end Dany can't even "break the wheel" in loving Mereen, you'd think she might dial down that "I'm gonna fix it all" poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The relevant sentence is "Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone." - you did see that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Most of them probably have historical value to the families in question, at least in westeros. Not giving up the family heirloom out of pride seems par for the course, though you're right that it's weird that no one at all would sell one. Maybe they've never gotten a reasonable asking price - I don't think they were literally willing to pay all the gold in casterly rock for a sword because that's stupid.

I agree re: the smith and that was one of the questions I had "oh that guy can forge them, which he learned to do by...???" - though I guess the citadel can forge valyrian steel chain links.

Hunky Joe posted:

I asked this earlier too and it always bugged me. I know it's a fantasy world and crap but I thought it was kind of a minor mistake on GRRM's part.

I agree Hunky Joe - I saw it as some poetic license... sort of like Tyrions somersault. I try not to expect an Author to have a brilliant grasp of economics either - "wait a minute, he paid 24 silver for a rat skull in city A, but in city B 100 rat skulls cost 1 gold piece!, and The bank borrowed 10,000,000 gold crowns? That is more gold than could have been in circulation considering the population of westeros!" So yeah, I give him a pass on the sword thing, and a lot of the Magic too. Some of his world building stuff is cool, but just so unrealistic... its cool though, poetic license. Its weird how somethings I can let slide, but other things completely break my immersion.

Also agree with YOSPOS - they were valuable, family heritage etc, but not really that much better than a normal sword. Type of thing that wouldn't ever be for sale, per se. And for Tywin it would be more like.. a status symbol - and Tywin was a pretty practical motherfucker. Getting Ice was a nice bonus, and additionally symbolic to the readers of how the Lannisters just completely hosed up the Starks. They loving UNMADE them.

Wiggly posted:

Wasn't there a little bit of "gently caress the Lannisters" going on here too? Tywin running around trying to buy them probably made for some funny crows flying around between the owners after his failed attempts.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo its so obvious Olly is going to kill Jon. I feel embarrassed that i had to have that pointed out by an ep review.
BUT DON'T WORRY, JON WILL ALWAYS COME BACK (FROM THE DEAD )

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*posts preston jacobs video trying to infer the battle of the bells timeline using marching distances*

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo its so obvious Olly is going to kill Jon. I feel embarrassed that i had to have that pointed out by an ep review.

They should have kept that hamfisted telegraphing scene going.

Sam: Sometimes you have to do what's right even when nobody else realizes it's right.

*cut to extremely long shot of the kid's angry face*

Kid: Hmm...really?

Sam: Yeah, you should definitely do what you think is right, kid, even if everybody else thinks it's wrong.

*even longer shot*

Kid: Hmmm, very interesting.

*kid slowly turns towards camera, winks*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just want all future Sam scenes to be just this.

FAT PINK MAST

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So with Melisandre not at the Wall in the show, that gets rid of the theory that she's going to give Jon the kiss of life a la Thoros and Berric. I've always thought the idea of Jon warging into Ghost was stupid* (and is there even any precedence for this in the show?), so I guess it's just going to be a case of non-fatal stabbing?

*Although the Dance prologue does support this idea, I know.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

So with Melisandre not at the Wall in the show, that gets rid of the theory that she's going to give Jon the kiss of life a la Thoros and Berric. I've always thought the idea of Jon warging into Ghost was stupid* (and is there even any precedence for this in the show?), so I guess it's just going to be a case of non-fatal stabbing?

*Although the Dance prologue does support this idea, I know.

Book:

As you mention the book sets up the warging pretty heavily. I've never thought there would be the fire / kiss of life in the book ( although I know its possible ) because that takes its toll so heavily on the recipient. It isn't a real life - with the red god leaving them hollow and broken in many ways. I don't think that has been Jon's fate. I think they will do some sort of warg to ghost -> revivify his body somehow -> warg back. Maybe the red god does do that part... ( melissa is all "oh I can't breathe fire into him, because his spirit has fled.. blah blah.. but I can repair his body.. blah blah..)

But I think it will go down differently. Like they will patch his sorry rear end up, and then he will warg back in somehow. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bran / Blackfyre involved. Or if GRRM has real balls, Jon ends up in someone elses loving body, like Hodor. But I don't know.

Show:

No idea how they will manage it. Maybe Bran plays a role with his newfound treegod powers - it also allows Bran and Jon to talk back and forth and educate the viewer on bran's new powers. Which have always included warging, so....

Or maybe he is attacked but doesn't die - I know we see Death as the all important "out" from the nights watch, but maybe Jon Show finally gets some loving common sense and is just like "well gently caress that poo poo, they all just stabbed me and I barely survived, so I'm, outta here."

They set Ghost up to come to the rescue for fatty sam... wonder how the NW will deal with Ghost. BTW, where the gently caress was ghost when jon was getting his rear end shanked in the book?

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

kcroy posted:

BTW, where the gently caress was ghost when jon was getting his rear end shanked in the book?

loving Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kcroy posted:

No idea how they will manage it. Maybe Bran plays a role with his newfound treegod powers - it also allows Bran and Jon to talk back and forth and educate the viewer on bran's new powers. Which have always included warging, so....

That would involve two Stark children talking to each other, something that hasn't really happened in almost 20 years since GOT was published, so I'm guessing no.

Unless this is where the show finally starts to go full-on fanservice in an epic "gently caress you" to GRRM.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grrm has always hinted that the major players that were separated in the first book are being set up to be reunited at some point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Grrm has always hinted that the major players that were separated in the first book are being set up to be reunited at some point.

He also hinted at sustained quality and punctual releases. Hints don't mean poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

He also hinted at sustained quality and punctual releases. Hints don't mean poo poo.

Here's a hint for you: shut the gently caress up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If this is the bad thread, where's the thread that isn't bursting at the seams with sad brains idiots who have caught mental illnesses from thinking about grrms turd boner all the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If this is the bad thread, where's the thread that isn't bursting at the seams with sad brains idiots who have caught mental illnesses from thinking about grrms turd boner all the time.

The one you feed.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Took some digging but I found a thread for you http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365134&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Also lol seriously? You're actually mad that in the entire internet there aren't enough hugboxes for one of the most popular television shows of the decade?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think it really is A_H!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Also lol seriously? You're actually mad that in the entire internet there aren't enough hugboxes for one of the most popular television shows of the decade?

Hmm lol that you stewed on that post for a while. Ya mad?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I posted a quick thing at the end of work, then drove home picking up breakfast on the way. You are such a little Prince it'd be funny if it wasn't so boilerplate.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ladies are just dumping this out in the shower? But if I piss in the shower i'm a slob, ok. I see how it is.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I posted a quick thing at the end of work, then drove home picking up breakfast on the way. You are such a little Prince it'd be funny if it wasn't so boilerplate.

Oh ok. You did some cool man IRL stuff like go home from work and eat food while thinking about that post. Much less pathetic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I came back to the thread and had a new thought. Kind-of ironic how you'd lambast me for that while getting angry at this thread for supposedly being a 1000+ page circlejerk. You should get some breakfast man, it might make you unclench and take it all in a bit better.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The funny thing is that if you just read two pages backwards itt you'd see that this thread is actually quite open to non-ironic discussion of the ASOIAF novels, while we all enjoy laughing at GURMisms and repeating ad nauseam the same tired jokes there's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from just talking about the books here and discussing their theories or whatever, there's also the TVIV spoiler thread which is also used for book discussion and the 'no spoilers' thread in this forum which kinda fell into disuse as most people finished reading all five books long ago.

Trolling this thread is just weak, falling for trolls itt is also kinda weak though.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 2, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Trolling this thread is just weak, falling for trolls itt is also kinda weak though.

It's easy to be tricked when you don't give a gently caress about the person talking. Like how a homeless person can make one of the most efficient spies in every other detective story ever.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe it's as simple as
Jon dies > Jon wargs into Ghost > Jon's body turns into a wight > Jon wargs back into his Wight body and seizes control

Then there could be some drama where his consciousness encounters whatever power is animating the wights as he takes his body back

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I give the slap fight between walrus and knuc 10/10. keep up the good work.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I think it really is A_H!

Well, hell, then let's buy him a drink and welcome him back properly!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think this thread is fairly well adjusted seeing as we didnt declare all out war on the concept of knowledge and subjective reality just because some poo poo is happening that we didnt know would happen and the internet didnt bend itself to our will.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

TommyGun85 posted:

I give the slap fight between walrus and knuc 10/10. keep up the good work.

Better than anything in the last couple of books.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Well, hell, then let's buy him a drink and welcome him back properly!
It sounds like it's a pretty bad idea to drink around A_H, though.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Urdnot Fire posted:

It sounds like it's a pretty bad idea to drink around A_H, though.

I can't keep our local personalities straight - was A_H the trekkie pedo mod or the gay date rapist or did he get booted for something else?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Here, have some of the attention you are clearly craving. I made this just special for you.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

kcroy posted:

Here, have some of the attention you are clearly craving. I made this just special for you.

Still better than the Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister...even the art.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

unlimited shrimp posted:

Maybe it's as simple as
Jon dies > Jon wargs into Ghost > Jon's body turns into a wight > Jon wargs back into his Wight body and seizes control

Then there could be some drama where his consciousness encounters whatever power is animating the wights as he takes his body back

Yeah that could work, but his body would still need to be healed up somehow. I dont think the wights can do that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OhYeah posted:

Wait, Gandalf didn't die. Can't this man finish any book, even when it's not his own?

Yeah he did? Gandalf the Grey dies in the mines of Moria. Being a Maiar, he's not totally obliterated like a mortal, but his mundane form definitely dies and he's back in wherever it is the Maiar chill out with the creator. His work "isn't complete" though, so he gets back down as Gandalf the White, who himself states that he's not the same person as Gandalf the Grey. It's somewhat implied that Gandalf the White gets to hold on to more of his power than the Grey did, and he seems to have fewer restrictions on what he can do to get the job done in Middle Earth.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah he did? Gandalf the Grey dies in the mines of Moria. Being a Maiar, he's not totally obliterated like a mortal, but his mundane form definitely dies and he's back in wherever it is the Maiar chill out with the creator. His work "isn't complete" though, so he gets back down as Gandalf the White, who himself states that he's not the same person as Gandalf the Grey. It's somewhat implied that Gandalf the White gets to hold on to more of his power than the Grey did, and he seems to have fewer restrictions on what he can do to get the job done in Middle Earth.

Nerd trap sprung!

Oh wait

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

kcroy posted:

I can't keep our local personalities straight - was A_H the trekkie pedo mod or the gay date rapist or did he get booted for something else?
Aatrek was the Trekkie child molester who modded TVIV, A_H raped his drunk straight friends, and former Book Barn mod Loosechanj had this:

And GRRM is an Absolute Fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if you're not going to go into specifics, Gandalf taking a tumble is him dying if you don't know he comes back and that's what the fat poo poo meant by it and what inspired him to let people die in his works.