Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
loving spoiler text is opaque now.
Welp...
Goodbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azazell0 posted:

I still feel incredibly like a dumbass for getting tricked by Anabelle.

I couldn't help but laugh when it happened. Geralt even caught her in her lie but all of the evidence at the tower itself still pointed to her story checking out. So I was like alright fine what's the worst that could happen. :allears:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I couldn't help but laugh when it happened. Geralt even caught her in her lie but all of the evidence at the tower itself still pointed to her story checking out. So I was like alright fine what's the worst that could happen. :allears:

I still don't know how they thought the Banshee scream every time you start the conversation with her was a good idea. I mean, if it's supposed to be a clue then it's way too obvious but I just assumed it was a bug at first.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So after hearing a little about it here, I took a potion and reassigned my points for an Alchemy build. Holy poo poo guys try it. loving potions that last 100 minutes plus, throwing bombs that then splinter off into 5 other bombs so it looks like you're throwing out battleship ballistics. Taking a potion that has a chance to give you an additional buff. It's the loving poo poo.

Also my new favorite bomb is Northern Wind because it makes everything a frozen wasteland.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GrossMurpel posted:

I still don't know how they thought the Banshee scream every time you start the conversation with her was a good idea. I mean, if it's supposed to be a clue then it's way too obvious but I just assumed it was a bug at first.

Same here. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Nasgate posted:

Also gently caress Yenn. "our daughter's life is in danger, but instead of cooperating, or at all informing you of anything, i'm going to tell you to do poo poo for me, without any reason why. And when you call me out on it, i'm going to be too far up my own arse to realize that i'm a loving rear end in a top hat and making things worse." Like, i don't want to continue the Skellige questline just because Yennefer is so poorly written. She's clearly smart, she's old and knows the rules of engagement for human interaction, but has less social intelligence than a high schooler. And less self-awareness than a middle schooler. And other than lines where she might literally tell you she loves you, there is no loving love in her interactions with Geralt, most of the times not even endearment.

Yeah, I thought she was going to be cool but she's just an rear end in a top hat. I do look forward to going with her on my next playthrough when I do supreme ruthlessness Geralt with whom the answer to every problem is kill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spikeguy posted:

So after hearing a little about it here, I took a potion and reassigned my points for an Alchemy build. Holy poo poo guys try it. loving potions that last 100 minutes plus, throwing bombs that then splinter off into 5 other bombs so it looks like you're throwing out battleship ballistics. Taking a potion that has a chance to give you an additional buff. It's the loving poo poo.

Also my new favorite bomb is Northern Wind because it makes everything a frozen wasteland.
I am building towards this and I cannot wait. I wish there was a potion skill like the Bomb one that lets you have more uses though....want to pop Thunderbolt and Maribor Forest at the beginning of each fight.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bort Bortles posted:

I am building towards this and I cannot wait. I wish there was a potion skill like the Bomb one that lets you have more uses though....want to pop Thunderbolt and Maribor Forest at the beginning of each fight.

May I introduce you to my good friend, the Cockatrice decoction?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Spikeguy posted:

I really want to try this. I'm going through on my second time with a full combat build that intends to make the most of rend and whirl, but if I play the game through a third time in the future, which is very likely, I'm definitely making an alchemy build.

It sucks because I wanted to make a build that takes advantage of super high critical hit damage with rend, but it turns out that apparently critical hits, or at least cat school techniques, are bugged and don't take damage boosts to criticals into account.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I really want to try this. I'm going through on my second time with a full combat build that intends to make the most of rend and whirl, but if I play the game through a third time in the future, which is very likely, I'm definitely making an alchemy build.

It sucks because I wanted to make a build that takes advantage of super high critical hit damage with rend, but it turns out that apparently critical hits, or at least cat school techniques, are bugged and don't take damage boosts to criticals into account.

I went all green/alchemy skills on my recent first play and it's glorious, infinite blade oils, multiple decoctions going, enough tolerance to have all my potions, madness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't use bombs much because I find them a little too awkward to use in the middle of combat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

muscles like this? posted:

I don't use bombs much because I find them a little too awkward to use in the middle of combat.

You can just tap R to toss one at the focused enemy, they can be really useful. Especially ones like upgraded Dragon's Dream, Dimeritium, or Northern Winds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be much more willing to try a potion build if using different potions/bombs/oils wasn't such a hassle.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

I'd be much more willing to try a potion build if using different potions/bombs/oils wasn't such a hassle.

Once the oils become permanent and the potions last ridiculous amounts of time it's not much of a hassle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The only sad thing is that green mutagens don't really benefit the alchemy skills.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, it'd be nice to have some more hotkeys to assign potions to. I get that they didn't to maintain control parity with consoles, but it'd make a world of difference if there was less hassle associated with it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

david... posted:

Once the oils become permanent and the potions last ridiculous amounts of time it's not much of a hassle.

Using more than two different potions/bombs is always a hassle.

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some more hotkeys to assign potions to. I get that they didn't to maintain control parity with consoles, but it'd make a world of difference if there was less hassle associated with it.

There is really nothing preventing them from making a quick select for multiple different potions/bombs for people with controllers.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Has anyone else have issues with the Blacksmith in Blackborough? Dude refuses to talk to me, not even a interact button press option.
I assume this is a bug and not something to do with a quest?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

Hitting consume on the menu screen for everything you want to use beforehand and just keeping swallow and white raffards on the quick buttons worked fine for me, it's not likely you'll decide you need to use something else halfway through a fight in my experience but... :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drint Blasters posted:

Has anyone else have issues with the Blacksmith in Blackborough? Dude refuses to talk to me, not even a interact button press option.
I assume this is a bug and not something to do with a quest?

Yeah, I've had the exact same issue. Supposedly quicksaving and reloading in place can fix it, but I just started going to the weaponsmith in Novigrad (directly south from the armorer on Hierarch Square) instead to save me that hassle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought the point of alchemy is to have three decoctions active at all times, anyway. Who needs potions?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

david... posted:

Hitting consume on the menu screen for everything you want to use beforehand and just keeping swallow and white raffards on the quick buttons worked fine for me, it's not likely you'll decide you need to use something else halfway through a fight in my experience but... :shrug:

Which makes specializing into alchemy a bit pointless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Can you clean up side quests after beating the game?

If not, what is the point of no return called so i can make a backup save?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Can you clean up side quests after beating the game?

If not, what is the point of no return called so i can make a backup save?

You can, except for a few main quest related sidequests.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

Which makes specializing into alchemy a bit pointless.

I think you're not understanding the benefit, my point is you're able to use everything without having to pause and go back to choose something on the fly, you have a huge tolerance for potions and decoctions so you're always running most of the things you need all the time anyway so the hassle of finding potions and whatever is negligible because of your increased tolerance and durations...

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

david... posted:

I went all green/alchemy skills on my recent first play and it's glorious, infinite blade oils, multiple decoctions going, enough tolerance to have all my potions, madness.

I took acquired tolerance on my last character and plan to take it on my current one, even though neither are alchemy builds. The ability to use mutagen decoctions and almost ignore toxicity for potions is excellent for any build. I really like the way the skill tree works in that the more specialized abilities deep in the tree aren't necessarily better than the early abilities.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Andrast posted:

There is really nothing preventing them from making a quick select for multiple different potions/bombs for controller users.

I do hate when I see an obviously ominous cave and have to hop into my inventory to swap in cat, chug it, and then swap swallow back in. Its an extra step but its annoying.

Question:

Obviously my save imported correctly because I ran into Letho. Do Saskia and Iorveth show up at any point? I would have thought an independent Elder races kingdom defended by a dragon would be a big player, but no mention on the big map review. I assume they just got trampled and ended up a footnote? :(

Also, help my addled mind as I'm many hours in and cant remember: I saved Prince Stennis, and he was crowned king of Aedirn in the Witcher 2. I know Redania wiped out Kaedwin (mooting my choice to spare the King of Kaedwin, cause he's an idiot who has to be on the front lines) so the overall battle in Witcher 3 is mostly Redania vs. Nilfguard.

What's happening with Aedirn if I saved Stennis and Vergen if I helped Saskia and Iorveth?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Snuffman posted:

I do hate when I see an obviously ominous cave and have to hop into my inventory to swap in cat, chug it, and then swap swallow back in. Its an extra step but its annoying.

You can drink potions from inside the inventory menu, you don't have to equip it to drink it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Always use cat potions from the inventory menu.

There's never a point in assigning them to the quickuse slots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snuffman posted:

You can actually use potions straight from your inventory, no need to swap swallow away.

My problem is mostly that I hate interacting with things in the inventory. Just having separate taps for your Potions/Oils/Bombs and billion of different dedoctions would go a long way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Andrast posted:

My problem is mostly that I hate interacting with things in the inventory. Just having separate taps for your Potions/Oils/Bombs and billion of different dedoctions would go a long way.

:agreed:

I'd like it if each type of quickslot item had its own tab just for convenience's sake, even setting aside how cluttered the useables can get if you forget to dump books or eat your wolf livers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Andrast posted:

You can actually use potions straight from your inventory, no need to swap swallow away.

Hurr. :downs: I should know this, I was eating food items from my inventory.

quote:

Funny how 3 games in and the inventory STILL sucks.

Oh, and whom should I be selling books to? I just learned that you're better off (read better price) selling swords to swordsmiths, armor to armorsmiths and trophies to that guy in Oxenford.

Also, what drops red mutagen? I'm swimming (from drowners, get it? :haw:) in blue mutagen, have a nice green mutagen but the only red mutagen is the weak one you get from the werewolf.

Also, I haven't bothered with decorations, as I heard they were only 1 use, but that's not the case now??? :confused:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 2, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I hope someone makes a mod that improves the inventory, or at least splits potions, bombs, and notes/books into separate tabs (seriously, why the hell are these in the same tab?).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Snuffman posted:

Hurr. :downs: I should know this, I was eating food items from my inventory.

Funny how 3 games in and the inventory STILL sucks.

You'd think they would have learned after they had to patch in some inventory quality of life changes for W2.

But ugh, the rest of the game IS SO loving GOOD. It's hard to 'tut tut' CDPR when they made such a gem of a game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Always use cat potions from the inventory menu.

There's never a point in assigning them to the quickuse slots.

I have cat assigned to a quickslot because I never need anything else :colbert:

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, Letho was just supposed to use the Scoia'tael as an escape route and meet up with Sile after they bailed him out (at which point Sile probably would have whacked him on the spot). Unfortunately for Sile, Letho's way more personable than he lets on, so he made contact with Iorveth and went, "Hey, know what would be a great idea? Murdering more kings."

Are you just being willfully obtuse?
Sile: "After assassinating Demavend, Letho used our gold and magical support to find and meet Iorveth. The elf was to help him hide until the matter blew over. Or so I thought."
The Lodge was not going to kill Letho.

Oxxidation posted:

That wasn't what happened. Letho says that even he doubts Yen tipped her hand on the North and the Lodge's plans. It's much more likely Emhyr and his mages siphoned the information directly out of her amnesiac mind, then turned her out again.

Returning to your original claim, the entire story falls apart if Yennefer does not actively cooperate with Nilfgaard's plan.
Yennefer and Geralt die in 1268. Letho and an amnesiac Yennefer first meet in 1270 before wandering Nilfgaard for a time. Any information siphoned from her memory would be more than two years out of date.
Nilfgaard's entire plan is built upon co-opting the Lodge's assassination plot. Without Yennefer's involvement, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide.

If Yennefer was as passive as you claim, Nilfgaard would be unaware of the Lodge's plans and unable to effect them.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Snuffman posted:

What's happening with Aedirn if I saved Stennis and Vergen if I helped Saskia and Iorveth?

I chose to "simulate a W2 save" and then going with Iorveth and breaking the spell on Saskia. Stennis never came up. In fact, I have completed the game and as far as I could tell none of the three characters were even mentioned. It seems they chose to ignore that part of the W2 plot completely.

On a related note, the expansion pass offered on GOG promises that characters will return in at least one of the expansions, so the possibility remains open that they will return.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

If Yennefer was as passive as you claim, Nilfgaard would be unaware of the Lodge's plans and unable to effect them.

I too will read your Evil Yennefer fanfic

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

Are you just being willfully obtuse?
Sile: "After assassinating Demavend, Letho used our gold and magical support to find and meet Iorveth. The elf was to help him hide until the matter blew over. Or so I thought."
The Lodge was not going to kill Letho.

Returning to your original claim, the entire story falls apart if Yennefer does not actively cooperate with Nilfgaard's plan.
Yennefer and Geralt die in 1268. Letho and an amnesiac Yennefer first meet in 1270 before wandering Nilfgaard for a time. Any information siphoned from her memory would be more than two years out of date.
Nilfgaard's entire plan is built upon co-opting the Lodge's assassination plot. Without Yennefer's involvement, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide.

Are you saying Yennefer pretended to work with the Lodge and then relayed their plans to Emhyr?
Why would the Lodge take Yennefer after she refused to help them with Ciri?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Broken Cog posted:

I hope someone makes a mod that improves the inventory, or at least splits potions, bombs, and notes/books into separate tabs (seriously, why the hell are these in the same tab?).

Same thing for crafting and alchemy, where you have to scroll through giant lists instead of just selecting tabs for the appropriate category. Notes and books should be added to the glossary once you read them.