Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Great Beer posted:

Wouldn't the other doors unlock anyway, since the key is in range and it has no way of knowing who's actually carrying it? Or does that system disable once one door is unlocked?

The sensors are typically close proximity. On my BRZ, it knows you are standing outside the driver's door, so it only unlocks the driver's door if the handle is grasped. The same goes for if you are standing by the trunk, it doesn't unlock the car doors to get into the trunk.

It can even detect if the keys are IN the car as opposed to outside. It will prevent you from locking the keys in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I can't ever own one of these vehicles. I'd sit there worrying about battery drain, unable to sleep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are the advantages of frameless windows? Aside from their obvious use on convertibles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If it's induction/RFID-based, the range can't be more than a few inches from the sensor, can it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Platystemon posted:

What are the advantages of frameless windows? Aside from their obvious use on convertibles.

It all comes down to "they look better".

Data Graham posted:

If it's induction/RFID-based, the range can't be more than a few inches from the sensor, can it?

People have been able to read passive RFID tags from >200 ft. Hyundai's implementation is probably under a few feet, given that the user might have the key in a purse or pocket on the opposite side of his/her body from the door.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 2, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mooseykins posted:

Over here it's £48k (And there are no options, besides exterior and interior colour.)

48k is like loaded Audi A6 money.

Not here. I cross-shopped the A6 and couldn't get a stripper version for the same price as a loaded V6 AWD Genesis sedan. A loaded A4 was actually a few bucks more and down on size, power and features. Lexus GS, BMW 5 and E-Class were all laughably more expensive, and really only the E-Class felt like a more luxurious car. The GS, A6 and 5 were all a little more nimble, but not $20k CDN more.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

TKIY posted:

Not here. I cross-shopped the A6 and couldn't get a stripper version for the same price as a loaded V6 AWD Genesis sedan. A loaded A4 was actually a few bucks more and down on size, power and features. Lexus GS, BMW 5 and E-Class were all laughably more expensive, and really only the E-Class felt like a more luxurious car. The GS, A6 and 5 were all a little more nimble, but not $20k CDN more.

Here an A6 (saloon) starts at 32k and a Genesis is 48k (You pick the colour, there are no additional options, it seems) so for 16k you could put a lot of stuff on an A6.

E Class starts at 35k
5 Series starts at 31k
GS starts at 31k

I wonder why car pricing varies so massively between Europeland and North America?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Tariffs and shipping costs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Data Graham posted:

You can set up a repeater to boost the signal from the car and pick up the key from, say, inside the house.
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/04/new-york-times-columnist-falls-prey-to-signal-repeater-car-burglary/

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Uthor posted:

Yeah, but there's still a big price jump and a lot of these manufacturers build cars in the US too. I know a lot of parts still need to be shipped over, but it's a crazy price jump.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Uthor posted:

Cars built in the UK cost less in the US. For instance, a Range Rover in the US starts at $84k (£55k), whereas here they start at £75k. Even allowing for the variation in spec, VAT etc, that's just silly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cool, a lot of arguing and blathering about stuff to scroll by.

Here is a turbofucked pinion gear!

For reference, next to a good gear.

The backstory is that a small hole in the diff cover was not noticed, all the oil drained out by the time the jeep left the trail and it was driven home on the highway. Parts got red hot, heat treat was reduced to nothing, and the shaft twisted without breaking as a result. Gears are normally far too hard to twist that much without snapping or twisting off.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

The backstory is that a small hole in the diff cover was not noticed, all the oil drained out by the time the jeep left the trail and it was driven home on the highway. Parts got red hot, heat treat was reduced to nothing, and the shaft twisted without breaking as a result. Gears are normally far too hard to twist that much without snapping or twisting off.

Holy gently caress! That's quite the trophy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

:stare: I'm amazed that diff made it long enough to turn into a little smelting furnace

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Data Graham posted:

They're both active and passive.

Under normal circumstances, they are active. The fob is transmitting to the car and the car is transmitting to the fob. That's why the owner's manual of most cars without keys say that the fob battery could be drained prematurely if it is left in close proximity to the vehicle when not in use.

It CAN be read passively though. The starting procedure for my BRZ when the fob has a dead battery is to put the fob right up against the start button when pressing it. That, presumably, gets it close enough to read the thing through induction.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, but there's still a big price jump and a lot of these manufacturers build cars in the US too. I know a lot of parts still need to be shipped over, but it's a crazy price jump.

For you, a car made in Germany is produced just over the border by people basically like you.

For an American, a car made in Germany is a luxury foreign import and therefore justifies spending twice as much on the same thing even if it's made in Wisconsin.

bull3964 posted:

They're both active and passive.

Under normal circumstances, they are active. The fob is transmitting to the car and the car is transmitting to the fob. That's why the owner's manual of most cars without keys say that the fob battery could be drained prematurely if it is left in close proximity to the vehicle when not in use.

It CAN be read passively though. The starting procedure for my BRZ when the fob has a dead battery is to put the fob right up against the start button when pressing it. That, presumably, gets it close enough to read the thing through induction.

I know with Toyotas the system goes to sleep after x amount of days of inactivity and to unlock the car you either have to push the button on the fob or push the small button on the door handle which wakes up the antennas etc.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

For you, a car made in Germany is produced just over the border by people basically like you.

For an American, a car made in Germany is a luxury foreign import and therefore justifies spending twice as much on the same thing even if it's made in Wisconsin.

But then a Range Rover which is also a Luxury foreign moneypit import is somehow cheaper there than it is here. Yet they're built in the West Midlands and Liverpool by people who have funny accents and have a meal at 5 in the afternoon shortly before they have dinner.

:iiam:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kastein posted:

And thus, a rotary is born.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

There is one less opening to seal. This reduces cost and weight.

I'm on my fourth car this year. The Jimny was great on paper but spectacularly bad in practice. The very worst part of the design was having the hub sensor wires pathed where they can be scrubbed off by undergrowth. It lasted eight years in pretty rough conditions but was my practical example of the sunk cost fallacy. Once it started costing me money it just didn't stop. Could have bought a whole nother one for the eventual repair costs. Absolute favourite was cracking the chassis in 'normal' use.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Jokes on those people. Both places are full of drunk germans. (Which explains AMC.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Phanatic posted:

Or an abusive boyfriend, a violent assailant, etc. Not unlocking doors by default that the operator doesn't want unlocked is a pretty good design decision.

Even my lovely econobox GM only unlocks the drivers door if you press the unlock button on the keyfob once. If you press it twice really quick, it'll unlock all doors. Even on cars where I've had aftermarket alarms/keyless entry installed, I've always asked that the shop wire it so that it only unlocks the drivers door on the first press.

On mine, uou can also program it to lock the doors when put into gear (automatic) or once the car breaks 5 mph (manual transmission). It can also be programmed to unlock the doors when you put it in park (auto) or shut off the car (manual). The unlock was enabled when I got the car, I had to enable the locking. Instructions on how to enable/disable those features is in the owner's manual.

As far as I know you can't change the behavior of the keyfob's unlock button. The only thing you can change is the way the trunk button works, and it's a physical switch in the trunk (you can disable the remote trunk pop, but it also disables the button on the lower dash that opens the trunk). I personally prefer it only unlocking one door with one keypress though - coming as a delivery guy who's had a couple of attempted robberies, and someone who's been carjacked before.

One thing that is a bit annoying - if you try to lock the doors with the power door lock button while a door is open, you get 3 dings from the dash, and it locks 3-5 seconds after you close the last open door (even if it's running). You can hit it twice and it'll lock immediately, but I can easily see how that could be an issue with Phanatic's example (locking the doors that way also disables the factory alarm, so if you force a door open, the alarm doesn't go off). I don't know if the delayed locking is only on models with factory keyless entry or not, and I know the only models with the factory alarm enabled are models with keyless entry (there's no switches on the actual key cylinders, so if you lock it with the keyfob, then unlock it with the key, the car goes into HALP I'M GETTING RAPED mode after a few brief honks of the horn).

bull3964 posted:

It can even detect if the keys are IN the car as opposed to outside. It will prevent you from locking the keys in the car.

This is a thing that has existed in some form since the 80s, at least, if you leave the key in the ignition. Every car I've owned with power locks, except for the one I have now, would not let you lock the doors if the key was in the ignition. Most of them wouldn't even let you force the lock (not using the power lock switch), the car would immediately unlock all of the doors.

(yes I realize this is completely different from the RFID fobs, but still...)

My 2006 GM has locked me out of the car 4 times now with the engine running. Get out of the car to make a delivery, close the door, immediately hear the click of the power locks. The first time I still had OnStar, and they were able to unlock it for me. I now carry a key in my wallet - and every time it's locked me out (including when OnStar unlocked it for me), as soon as I do get back in the car, the moment I close the doors, they immediately lock again. I've learned to leave the windows down a bit when I leave it idling during a delivery, and of course, keep a hardware store copy of the key in my wallet (much thinner than an OEM key).

Whoever designed the body control module on this must have worked on Toyota's unintended acceleration ECUs. :haw: I've seen some other odd behavior, such as the automatic headlights immediately turning off with the car occasionally (they're supposed to stay on for 30 seconds), said headlights staying on for 15+ minutes, interior lights occasionally not coming on when opening the doors (I've replaced the door switches), interior lights refusing to shut off a couple of times, etc. Also you can't turn OFF the headlights without the ignition switch being in the run position, if they've been turned on automatically by the light sensor.

At least it's been mechanically reliable (oh god it's going to pop the clutch slave in the morning because I said that, isn't it?)

Slavvy posted:

I know with Toyotas the system goes to sleep after x amount of days of inactivity and to unlock the car you either have to push the button on the fob or push the small button on the door handle which wakes up the antennas etc.

I honestly wonder how much power the keyless entry on your typical car (without RFID keyfobs) uses? My car recently sat for 5 or 6 days, and still has the original battery (which is over 10 years old as of this week). Walked up to it, keyfob unlocked it on the first try, car started right up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

some texas redneck posted:

I honestly wonder how much power the keyless entry on your typical car (without RFID keyfobs) uses? My car recently sat for 5 or 6 days, and still has the original battery (which is over 10 years old as of this week). Walked up to it, keyfob unlocked it on the first try, car started right up.

Don't know about others, but Touaregs have a common fault with the keyless entry system failing and draining the battery, in many cases over night every night. Still not a huge current draw, but over 12+ hours it'll drain the battery enough that the car won't start.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Slavvy posted:

Lost count of people coming in to complain about this issue on the e46 and e90. Not frozen on from cold weather, but grabbed/jogged accidentally while closing.

I've driven my E82 frameless coupe in -30 weather for years. I've never had an issue with the windows not rolling down or going back up correctly in cold weather.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Don't know about others, but Touaregs have a common fault with the keyless entry system failing and draining the battery, in many cases over night every night. Still not a huge current draw, but over 12+ hours it'll drain the battery enough that the car won't start.

Yeah but that's VAG. The current draw is normally minute, it's about the same as the dashboard clock. The smart key module is the only one 'awake' and it wakes up everything else when it detects an unlock signal or a key within range.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but that's VAG.

Better a dead battery and electrical weirdness than bursting into flames. Can you move on now?

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/26/us/in-a-record-recall-ford-is-set-to-repair-8-million-vehicles.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Better a dead battery and electrical weirdness than bursting into flames. Can you move on now?

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/26/us/in-a-record-recall-ford-is-set-to-repair-8-million-vehicles.html

Believe me when I say I rag on ford just as much as VW, this thread just gives me less opportunity to do so :)

I'm surprised anyone cares about a defect in cars made over twenty years ago though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Believe me when I say I rag on ford just as much as VW, this thread just gives me less opportunity to do so :)

Fair enough.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Or firing off a defective airbag into your face ala pretty much all Japanese cars :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised anyone cares about a defect in cars made over twenty years ago though.

Apparently volkswagen still does :smug:

Although it should be noted, for the 2015 model year, it's rated at 115 horsepower.

Just think, that engine will live to see 3 bush presidents.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

How is this a failure? Its actually a pretty interesting engine, he had a custom ground cam and plenum made for a reverse flow 350. Not powerful or efficient, but unique in the world of hotrodding.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've heard of reverse flow builds in top end flatheads, it might be emulating that in a more obtainable fashion.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Nothing complements the simplicity of a pushrod v8 like eight Keihin VBs.

:suicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Nothing complements the simplicity of a pushrod v8 like eight Keihin VBs.

:suicide:

That was my first thought too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I see it comes with the Goatman model distributor.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

:boom:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

:bravo:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The goatman is like God.. its everywhere you are

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Just needs a ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

Apparently volkswagen still does :smug:

Although it should be noted, for the 2015 model year, it's rated at 115 horsepower.

Just think, that engine will live to see 3 bush presidents.

I got a rental Jetta with that engine. Not cool VW :mad: