Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you saying Yennefer pretended to work with the Lodge and then relayed their plans to Emhyr?
Why would the Lodge take Yennefer after she refused to help them with Ciri?

No, I am just saying that Emhyr's plan cannot work without Yennefer's assistance.
She was Demavend's royal advisor prior to her "death." She would know the king's habits, his guards, and the castle's layout. Her knowledge would be invaluable for regicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

No, I am just saying that Emhyr's plan cannot work without Yennefer's assistance.
She was Demavend's royal advisor prior to her "death." She would know the king's habits, his guards, and the castle's layout. Her knowledge would be invaluable for regicide.

I thought your problem was how Emhyr knew about the Lodge wanting Demavend dead.
Didn't his court mages extract those memories after she got caught?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

david... posted:

Once the oils become permanent and the potions last ridiculous amounts of time it's not much of a hassle.

Which skill makes the oil permanent?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought your problem was how Emhyr knew about the Lodge wanting Demavend dead.

I already mentioned that.

Merry Magpie posted:

Returning to your original claim, the entire story falls apart if Yennefer does not actively cooperate with Nilfgaard's plan.
Yennefer and Geralt die in 1268. Letho and an amnesiac Yennefer first meet in 1270 before wandering Nilfgaard for a time. Any information siphoned from her memory would be more than two years out of date.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Which skill makes the oil permanent?

It's the third rank of a skill on the fourth row, first one gives you 33% more charges and the last one gives you infinite charges.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Snuffman posted:

Also, what drops red mutagen? I'm swimming (from drowners, get it? :haw:) in blue mutagen, have a nice green mutagen but the only red mutagen is the weak one you get from the werewolf.

Also, I haven't bothered with decorations, as I heard they were only 1 use, but that's not the case now??? :confused:

Red mutagens seem very rare in the early game. I've gotten them from Alghouls early on, but not much else. They get a lot more common later. Drowners seem to start dropping them when they're close to level 20.

Decoctions are like all alchemy stuff in that whenever you meditate, you consume one unit of hard alcohol to replenish them. You don't need to go hunt down another special mutagen, once you have the recipe, you have the item forever. The drawback of decoctions is they effectively lock you out of potions unless you take acquired tolerance.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
What the hell happened to Geralt's voice in the Echoes of the Past quest? I just talked to Yen after she used the stolen mask, and Geralt's lines sound like they were recorded by someone else. Really weird.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Best part of the game has got to be the drunken capers with your witcher friends.

"Summon the bitches!"

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Well, after 103 hours played i completed near enough every quest and finished the game, only complaint i have is that it wasn't long enough :negative:

That and shoot the horse.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How come Lambert and Eskel don't have white hair but Vesemir and Geralt do? Eskel is around the same doddery age as Geralt it says in the dialogue.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I found Odrin and his new business venture in Novigrad, game owns.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Well, after 103 hours played i completed near enough every quest and finished the game, only complaint i have is that it wasn't long enough :negative:

That and shoot the horse.

100 hours is pretty long to me, but I expected the game to cover more of the northern kingdoms and nilfgaard.
Like more than just a slice of Temeria and Redania, and Skelige.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

How come Lambert and Eskel don't have white hair but Vesemir and Geralt do? Eskel is around the same doddery age as Geralt it says in the dialogue.

I believe Geralt has white hair because of the witcher mutations, which doesn't affect everyone equally.
and I think Vesemir is just old.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I believe Geralt has white hair because of the witcher mutations, which doesn't affect everyone equally.
and I think Vesemir is just old.

Yeah, I didn't notice Vesemir as having white hair so much as Old-man grey hair.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Geralt's white hair is a unique side-effect of his mutations. As a child he proved to be highly resistant against the dangers of the mutations, so they just hit him with some additional extra-hard rare mutagens that weren't generally used for most witchers, one of which caused the hair colour. Vesemir is just plain old as balls.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Vahalla posted:

Regarding Triss:

I just finished the game and I find myself curious if I missed any content in that romance? Did the whole Novigrad sequence that ends with the Lighthouse, and then the brief scene at the Passiflora fountain about Kovir, but that was it for the entire game outside of the ending " and Triss and Geralt lived happily ever after" slide.

Shameless self quote as I'm super curious if I missed anything along the way or if I'm just too used to bioware games at this point :gonk:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, doing the Bloody Baron's questline at last (way over-leveled for it) and his voice actor absolutely nailed the role. He's such a vile man and I can never overlook what he's done, but the sheer grief and anger he displays about himself is touching in a really uncomfortable way. I chose to turn his miscarried daughter into a beneveolent spirit, and the way the Baron utterly loses it and breaks down crying when naming her was heart wrenching. More like this please.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Vahalla posted:

Shameless self quote as I'm super curious if I missed anything along the way or if I'm just too used to bioware games at this point :gonk:

Yeah that's it, I was pursuing my previous games romance with her and that's all I saw.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vahalla posted:

Just some awkward tension between Triss/Yen and Geralt/Yen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I don't use bombs much because I find them a little too awkward to use in the middle of combat.

Dodge or roll back, tap RB.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I almost gave up on the Witcher because I have a relatively old machine, but holy poo poo, last nvidia drivers gave me about 8-9 more fps.

I have an i5 2500k and a gtx 670 and now I can run everything at high plus HBAO. On average, 47 fps indoor and 38 outdoors.

On a side note, what's the deal with the subtle facial expressions/winks/gestures in dialogues? Conversations have never looked so realistic in a videogame. Even the stupidest peasant seems convincing.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 2, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A lot of the Yennefer conspiracy theory relies on vagueness as to when Emhyr had his agent installed in the Lodge, and presumes he would not have done so if he weren't aware of their conspiracy. Which presumes a lot.

The US doesn't need to hear about some other country's clever scheme to begin engaging in espionage, we spy on everybody just in case, regardless of our relationship with them. And I'm willing to bet Emhyr var Emreis is the kind of guy who'd rather be safe than sorry. If there's evidence pointing to the existence of a nascent cabal of politically-motivated sorceresses in the north he's going to pursue it. Yennefer obviously knew of the lodge being an unwilling participant (and a "member" under duress) for their early activities, and this knowledge could be siphoned out of her post-revival.

In the event that Sile found and contacted Yen while she was in Nilfgaard, even if she'd successfully recruited her in the Lodge's schemes (which strikes me as unlikely, but that wouldn't stop her from sending overtures of reconciliation since, like Philippa, Sile's not half as clever as she thinks she is), by the time of the siphoning the damage would already have been done. And the source of Sile's knowledge of Yennefer's whereabouts was left vague so even a direct contact scenario is presumption and inference rather than fact.

It might've been an interesting angle if the writers wanted to pursue it but they obviously didn't, as shown by the fact that they explicitly wrote in-game text torpedoing any suspicions on her with regards to the conspiracy. So you can have some fun with thought exercises and workshop a believable Yennefer fanfic as much as you like, but you really shouldn't get too attached to your theory. Or take it personally when people are disinclined to believe it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GrossMurpel posted:

Merry Magpie posted:

Are you guys completely forgetting that Philippa's apprentice/lover, Cynthia, was a Nilfgaardian spy? The empire also has lots of ways to acquire the knowledge it needed to carry out the assassinations.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 2, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Are you guys completely forgetting that Philippa's apprentice/lover, Cynthia, was a Nilfgaardian spy?

Sure spell it out for him why don'tcha.

Yes, the theory basically relies on a lack of information as to when Cynthia infiltrated the lodge and how Emhyr knew of the lodge to have it infiltrated in the first place. And then getting increasingly elaborate in order to support the theory in the face of contradictory evidence.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if the Crusader Kings series includes BDSM as a covert operation tactic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The KGB trained their agents to be prepared for any eventuality out in the field.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Riso posted:

May I introduce you to my good friend, the Cockatrice decoction?
Meh, only helps a little. And how does it work anyway? Once I consume it everything goes up by one use until the decoction wears off?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Same thing for crafting and alchemy, where you have to scroll through giant lists instead of just selecting tabs for the appropriate category. Notes and books should be added to the glossary once you read them.
Potions, Decoctions, bombs, trophies, food, books, mutagens, potion ingredients, crafting materials, weapons, and clothing/armor should each have their own tab.

I love this game to death (best RPG I have ever played) but good god the missions you get where you need to "read the note/letter/book you found" is really really obtuse to me. These books/notes/letters should be saved to a glossary so you can discard the poo poo from your overburdened inventory. What about the notes on the plague from the rattower? Can I toss 'em or could I give them back to Keira later?

There should be a chest you can store stuff you do not want to carry around. Yeah I really like how the game abstracts Geralt using saddlebags, but I have 150 Dwarven Spirit, 150 Alcholest, 200 Waters (that all weigh next to nothing) and innumerable crafting/alchemy components/ingredients, a Nilfgaardian Doublet, and a billion mutagens that I do not want to carry around on me - I should be able to drop them in a loving chest. And yes I know I can drop them on the ground and come back later but that just seems blech to me.

edit: also, when shopping, if you mouse over an item you already own, it should light up in your own inventory so you can see how many you have. I like to stay topped up on the rare alchemical ingredients and crafting materials but it is such a headache to search through all of my crafting poo poo to find if what I think I may be low on is actually low, especially because all alchemy and crafting stuff goes in the same tab.

Sorry for the rant. I really love the game but the inventory is driving me nuts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A chest would make it even worse because now you also have to tediously think about "what should I put in the chest?", in addition to the already existing and tedious questions, "what should I drop?" and "what should I sell?". Selling items should just be removed entirely, then there's no reason to pick up junk, and there should be a potion and bomb tab, and no weight limit. That would probably be enough. (I'd go further and remove looting random crap everywhere but they aren't gonna do that.)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Meh, only helps a little. And how does it work anyway? Once I consume it everything goes up by one use until the decoction wears off?

Potions, Decoctions, bombs, trophies, food, books, mutagens, potion ingredients, crafting materials, weapons, and clothing/armor should each have their own tab.

I love this game to death (best RPG I have ever played) but good god the missions you get where you need to "read the note/letter/book you found" is really really obtuse to me. These books/notes/letters should be saved to a glossary so you can discard the poo poo from your overburdened inventory.

There should be a chest you can store stuff you do not want to carry around. Yeah I really like how the game abstracts Geralt using saddlebags, but I have 150 Dwarven Spirit, 150 Alcholest, 200 Waters (that all weigh next to nothing) and innumerable crafting/alchemy components/ingredients, a Nilfgaardian Doublet, and a billion mutagens that I do not want to carry around on me - I should be able to drop them in a loving chest. And yes I know I can drop them on the ground and come back later but that just seems blech to me.

If you sort your inventory once, it will put the newest stuff you acquired in the first few slots.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A chest would make it even worse because now you also have to tediously think about "what should I put in the chest?", in addition to the already existing and tedious questions, "what should I drop?" and "what should I sell?". Selling items should just be removed entirely, then there's no reason to pick up junk, and there should be a potion and bomb tab, and no weight limit. That would probably be enough. (I'd go further and remove looting random crap everywhere but they aren't gonna do that.)
I would be ok with this.

GrossMurpel posted:

If you sort your inventory once, it will put the newest stuff you acquired in the first few slots.
Not to sound like I am sassing you, but that only helps if I need to find a new note. If I pick up a note it should get a journal entry with the related quest. Or do you mean that in reference to something else? Otherwise the inventory is still a headache to look through if I am trying to find out how many Beggartick Blossoms I have because when I was brewing a potion an hour ago I thought I noticed I was almost out of them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Here's hoping CDPR become the new kings of open world games and we get more stuff like this as opposed to reskins of Skyrim once every 6 months.

EDIT: If nothing else I'd like a storage chest just to put all of my Witcher gear in so I don't accidentally sell it before I can upgrade it down the road.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 2, 2015

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Are you guys completely forgetting that Philippa's apprentice/lover, Cynthia, was a Nilfgaardian spy? The empire also has lots of ways to acquire the knowledge it needed to carry out the assassinations.

That's why I had no problem with Emhyr knowing about the Lodge's assassination plot.

Nilfgaard's entire plan is built upon co-opting the Lodge's assassination plot. Without Yennefer's involvement, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

True, but it doesn't really help with clutter. Or the fact that most notes would be better off archived as database entries rather than taking up valuable space in the inventory.

Basically, I completely agree with Bort Bortles. Even about the chest thing. And I'd love it if someone were to make an inventory management mod that was basically just those suggestions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Merry Magpie posted:

the entire story falls apart if Yennefer does not actively cooperate with Nilfgaard's plan.

What? No. Yennefer was irrelevant. Philippa was blabbing all her plans directly to Nilfgaardian intelligence.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've had the exact same issue. Supposedly quicksaving and reloading in place can fix it, but I just started going to the weaponsmith in Novigrad (directly south from the armorer on Hierarch Square) instead to save me that hassle.

Yeah, been doing the same, dude has maps for some witcher gear I want. Rather annoying.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I would be ok with this.

Not to sound like I am sassing you, but that only helps if I need to find a new note. If I pick up a note it should get a journal entry with the related quest. Or do you mean that in reference to something else? Otherwise the inventory is still a headache to look through if I am trying to find out how many Beggartick Blossoms I have because when I was brewing a potion an hour ago I thought I noticed I was almost out of them.

I completely agree with the inventory being way too cluttered, I just thought that'd help you in the "read the note you just found" quests since new ones will appear first and be marked with an asterisk :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

What? No. Yennefer was irrelevant. Philippa was blabbing all her plans directly to Nilfgaardian intelligence.

With the occasional safe word thrown in.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Merry Magpie posted:

That's why I had no problem with Emhyr knowing about the Lodge's assassination plot.

Nilfgaard's entire plan is built upon co-opting the Lodge's assassination plot. Without Yennefer's involvement, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide.

From what I remember of Letho explaining it, it was pure chance that Sile hired Letho and his pals. They'd gone in planning to just kill the kings and scapegoat the lodge. Actually getting the lodge to unwittingly help them do it was a bonus.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which, admittedly, doesn't quite sound as cozy or intriguing as an elaborate plot that all falls into place perfectly.

But it sure as hell is realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

From what I remember of Letho explaining it, it was pure chance that Sile hired Letho and his pals. They'd gone in planning to just kill the kings and scapegoat the lodge. Actually getting the lodge to unwittingly help them do it was a bonus.

Letho was deliberately trying to set himself up as a hitman/patsy for the Lodge, but he was expecting Sile to point him toward some minor magistrate or something. Instead she set up a hit on one of the North's four major monarchs. It was like Christmas came early.