Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Redmark posted:

If the obvious main-character relationship is enforced by the end, is it still a harem? Not trying to defend anything here, just curious. I thought harem implied a lack of resolution.

Nah, I think. The few harems -- literally 2 -- I stomached when I was dumb teen usually ended with the main character getting together with the girl everyone expected him to get with.

Funny, but hosed up thing in one of the most famous ones he literally picks a different girl when they force him to choose and they keep telling him "no, pick her" until he goes through all of the harem and picks the one he was supposed to get with.

Fake Edit: Then again, Tenchi Muyo never really ended with resolution except for the TV series one I saw on Toonami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Funny thing, just the insinuation of "harem" is enough to turn a lot of people off from a series, enough to not even give it a chance. Many folks I've recommended it to see the cast and immediately discount it because of the negative connotations of the genre. It's why I don't consider it one, because it's better than that. But hey, think what you will.

That's not how genres work.

E: like this is you doing the goon thing of "X is bad, but I like Y, so Y can't be X."

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cool. I'm not going to keep fighting this fight. I don't consider it a harem, you do. Keep on truckin'.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Most commonly, X is anime and Y is Cowboy Bebop, Persona, or whatever

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Funny thing, just the insinuation of "harem" is enough to turn a lot of people off from a series, enough to not even give it a chance. Many folks I've recommended it to see the cast and immediately discount it because of the negative connotations of the genre. It's why I don't consider it one, because it's better than that. But hey, think what you will.
Harems are bad, Truthism is good, therefore Truthism can't be a harem. :smug:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
It's "harem" because there is one guy and a bunch of women. This is the definition of a harem anime.

This series separates itself from other "traditional" harem animes/manga by not following the conventions of it's predecessors, and sometimes playing with and upending them for laughs, and follows somewhat more traditional romcom formula while also playing with those conventions. If a friend asked me about the series, I would probably not mention "harem" because of the aforementioned negative connotations and stereotypes.

So, it's not a "harem" anime in the sense that it follows all the conventions and "tropes" of harem anime, it's a harem anime because a harem has more or less a distinct definition, that of one guy surrounded by many women, some of whom may or may not be romantically involved with the singular male protagonist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't be a poo poo, Rodyle.

YF19pilot posted:

It's "harem" because there is one guy and a bunch of women. This is the definition of a harem anime.

This series separates itself from other "traditional" harem animes/manga by not following the conventions of it's predecessors, and sometimes playing with and upending them for laughs, and follows somewhat more traditional romcom formula while also playing with those conventions. If a friend asked me about the series, I would probably not mention "harem" because of the aforementioned negative connotations and stereotypes.

So, it's not a "harem" anime in the sense that it follows all the conventions and "tropes" of harem anime, it's a harem anime because a harem has more or less a distinct definition, that of one guy surrounded by many women, some of whom may or may not be romantically involved with the singular male protagonist.
Really? I thought a harem anime was one guy who was surrounded by women who all have the hots for him. Monster Musume is a textbook example. Truthism has two characters madly in love with him and one who got rejected.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 2, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
This conversation is haram.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Captain Invictus posted:

Mmmm, no. I don't consider a love triangle to be a harem. He already rejected Mikan, she's just not taking it well. Don't need to be a poo poo, Rodyle.

Captain Invictus posted:

Cool. I'm not going to keep fighting this fight. I don't consider it a harem, you do. Keep on truckin'.
Just bow out man, it's cool, we're all here with you loving this manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeruel posted:

Just what I was waiting for!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The argument is basically done, but Ah My Goddess is considered a harem when all of 1 girl, maybe 2 if you want to stretch it were into the dude. So yeah, an guy/girl surrounded by the opposite gender is the definition of a harem.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Weird! I always considered a harem where the one dude had a bunch of girls who wanted to jump his bones. Guess that's not the case.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ironic too considering Ah My Goddess is one of the staple ones where a lot of cliches got copied. Most of the other cliches probably came from Urusei Yatsura and Ranma.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Haha! "What is or is not a harem" is probably one of the gooniest, spergiest, most pedantic arguments I've ever seen on this forum! :tipshat: ADTRW delivers again!

EDIT:

Content!

YF19pilot posted:

I agree with both of you, and I think that it's what sets both our protagonist and the writer apart from the chaff.
The fact that he understands both sides of rejecting someone and having been rejected himself, understands what she's feeling and is actually able to put 2 and 2 together, but most importantly, feels that it's necessary to allow her to say her bit and also important to reject her so that she can move on. That his own harsh rejection was above all what allowed him to move on, rather than becoming some dense, spineless twerp who can't decide on which girl to go for. Our characters are cute + dumb, not brainless pretty people.

Oh gosh, yeah. You've pretty neatly summed up why I think it's a great character-defining moment. And it's awesome that it doesn't feel one-sided. Like, we're not just getting it from Aizawa's perspective, we're also getting it from Kuromine's. And that's so cool, the awful part of every single harem/romcom series except this one, is the fact that the protagonist is always this blank cardboard cutout sort of everyman loser nice guy. It's great to have this moment as a way to show not just how Aizawa's grown as a character, but Kuromine as well. It's pretty much the best confession ever.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 2, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Haha! "What is or is not a harem" is probably one of the gooniest, spergiest, most pedantic arguments I've ever seen on this forum! :tipshat: ADTRW delivers again!
:ironicat:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zeruel posted:

Yeah, none of this dumb argument is kosher.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is haram like the opposite of halal?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Absolutely.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What have I done?

For the record, I didn't consider this a harem because it lacks the fanservice and pandering I usually associate with the genre, as well as the fact that Asahi is definitely in love with Youko, instead of there being a lot of 'would they/wouldn't they' moments with the other girls. That's all :(

Yep.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

For me the only point that really matters is what Invictus said: neither the series nor its readership stands to gain anything from classifying it as a 'harem', so who gives a poo poo whether it technically fits the bill or not? It's not like we're at a loss for what to call it, it already fits into a number of other categories that are plenty adequate to describe everything that's good about it. Quibbling over proper anime taxonomy just for its own sake is best left to librarians, or the kind of fans who use the term 'normie' unironically.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 2, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The major difference between Asahi and the protagonists of other harem comedies is that Asahi knows who he wants to be with. Most of the time it's a bunch of girls the guy doesn't even know fighting at him for bizarre reasons. The result is the ambivalent protagonist becomes hapless and hijinks ensue. Asahi is also hapless, but he's not emotionally hapless. He just has the misfortune to live in a world where everyone is cute and dumb.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cathair posted:

For me the only point that really matters is what Invictus said: neither the series nor its readership stands to gain anything from classifying it as a 'harem', so who gives a poo poo whether it technically fits the bill or not? It's not like we're at a loss for what to call it, it already fits into a number of other categories that are plenty adequate to describe everything that's good about it. Quibbling over proper anime taxonomy just for its own sake is best left to librarians, or the kind of fans who use the term 'normie' unironically.

Oh, you mean like "tropers"?

Crap, I need to take a shower now, try to wash off the shame.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wittgen posted:

The major difference between Asahi and the protagonists of other harem comedies is that Asahi knows who he wants to be with.

This is only true half the time though. A good chunk of protagonists do know who they want to be with, and either don't due to contrived circumstances or they're very dumb. It's a pretty common premise where there's a girl the dude likes, and then a bunch more girls pop up that confuses the issue, examples including Nisekoi, To-love-ru, etc. Urusei Yatsura practically started off that way before Takahashi realized that Lum was the better pairing.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 2, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

YF19pilot posted:

Oh, you mean like "tropers"?

Crap, I need to take a shower now, try to wash off the shame.

My shame is knowing I've read too many harem manga, most of them mediocre or bad. They're all just RomComs with slightly convoluted love triangles though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember like 1 other harem manga that I liked reading for awhile. Umi no Misaki or whatever. At some point I just stopped reading and then got too lazy to figure out where I left off but apparently poo poo got sorta dark before concluding with a harem ending?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I remember like 1 other harem manga that I liked reading for awhile. Umi no Misaki or whatever. At some point I just stopped reading and then got too lazy to figure out where I left off but apparently poo poo got sorta dark before concluding with a harem ending?

Yeah pretty much. I didn't actually like that one that much, but I wasn't a big fan of Ai Yori Aoshi either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

The argument is basically done, but Ah My Goddess is considered a harem when all of 1 girl, maybe 2 if you want to stretch it were into the dude. So yeah, an guy/girl surrounded by the opposite gender is the definition of a harem.
Eeeeeh I know this argument has been kind of beaten into the ground already but I'd say it's a stretch with AMG, it really was more usually just called a romantic comedy. It had a semblance of a single love triangle with the MC for maybe 5 years of its 26 year run.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

Eeeeeh I know this argument has been kind of beaten into the ground already but I'd say it's a stretch with AMG, it really was more usually just called a romantic comedy. It had a semblance of a single love triangle with the MC for maybe 5 years of its 26 year run.

True, though arguably its early chapters did end up influencing the genre. That it became its own thing isn't too odd since it was one of the early ones before the formula was more solidified.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My Monster Secret is totally a harem tho (and pretty good).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yona is a shoujo harem and it is hella good.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Terper posted:

Yona is a shoujo harem and it is hella good.

Want to emptyquote this.

:allears: Hak :allears:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Jitsu wa can't be a harem; it's already a circus!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is a dumb conversation... and not cute at all! :colbert:

Make it cute and you can continue with the back and forth between the Harem / Not Harem camps.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wark Say posted:

Make it cute and you can continue with the back and forth between the Harem / Not Harem camps.

Listen, no one wants to hear a bunch of goons argue about harem anime AND end all their statements with -desu and -de gozaru.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wark Say posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ranma only ever had eyes for Akane, and if you argue that Ranma 1/2 wasn't a harem series I will call you a nerd

de gozaru

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Akane is actually the one with the harem.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Covok posted:

Listen, no one wants to hear a bunch of goons argue about harem anime AND end all their statements with -desu and -de gozaru.

For some reason, this post is extra cute. No idea why.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if MMS will be popular enough once it gets its anime and English release to see cosplayers at Comic-Con cosplaying as Eye Scream Kuromine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

For some reason, this post is extra cute. No idea why.

Strange, I can only wonder why-desu.

Also, found this while trying to see if Eye Scream Kuromine cosplay already existed:

I never noticed that.

...de gozaru.

• Locked thread