Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I ran out of meteorite ore while crafting a witcher set. I don't know where I found it before, I'm guessing it's just random loot in chests. Is there a good place to find it, I don't think I have anything that will melt down into it. I haven't found a blacksmith that sells it yet either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Arglebargle III posted:

What? No. Yennefer was irrelevant. Philippa was blabbing all her plans directly to Nilfgaardian intelligence.

Yes, Nilfgaard did not need to trawl Yennefer's memory to learn of the Lodge's plot.

Unless you are claiming Cynthia could sway the Lodge, Yennefer's involvement allowed Nilfgaard to select an assassin willing to directly implicate the Lodge.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I want you guys to watch this video on youtube called "Loose Orens".

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you know that someone is looking for an assassin, it isn't hardest thing in the world to put the assassin you want them to hire in a place where they will notice him.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

Yes, Nilfgaard did not need to trawl Yennefer's memory to learn of the Lodge's plot.

Unless you are claiming Cynthia could sway the Lodge, Yennefer's involvement allowed Nilfgaard to select an assassin willing to directly implicate the Lodge.

And you're claiming Yennefer could sway the Lodge? What about the part where they planned to denounce Yen as a traitor if she didn't help them?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Slashrat posted:

From what I remember of Letho explaining it, it was pure chance that Sile hired Letho and his pals. They'd gone in planning to just kill the kings and scapegoat the lodge. Actually getting the lodge to unwittingly help them do it was a bonus.

Do you happen to remember when Letho claimed it was pure chance? It is awfully convenient that Sile would happen to contact a total stranger and ask him to commit regicide.

^^^In the books? Yeah, I have no idea. I didn't read the books.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A total stranger who was a witcher.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Should I finish up *everything* before going to the Isle of Mists, or just the stuff in my level range? Does it make narrative sense to bumble about the open world afterwards?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Actually, everything is spelled out between Letho's plotdump at the end of W2 and the beginning of W3.

-Yen dies but knows the Lodge exists
-Upon capturing her, Darth Vattier interrogates her and yanks the knowledge of who is in the Lodge from her head. The Lodge's existence being something of an open secret was established in the first game at least--suspected by many but not much hard info.
-Letho is sent in to kill kings, kick rear end, and chew bubblegum.
-Letho buddies up to Sile to frame her later. He bemoans the plight of the underclasses and the derivation of chief executive power.
-His intended target is the King of Kovir. He was to plant evidence pointing to Sile and the Lodge at the scene/if he was caught.
-Sile and Phillipa come up with the underpants-gnome-grade plan of destabilizing the north to create a Sorceress state.
-Sile decides that her dumb witcher friend would be a perfect tool.
-Letho hides a quiet titter as he axes his plan against a minor state to gank the leader of one of the four main northern powers at the behest of someone he intended to frame in the first place.

After that Letho goes on his RAMPAGE and the Lodge is in damage-control mode (which involves creating far more damage, because they're the Lodge).

Presumably, Yennifer regains her memory after the Probe, and then nominally works with Nilfgaard because the choice was that or :ese:. Given that Ciri was detected, Yen is all too willing to use whatever is at her disposal to locate her.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 2, 2015

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Yen lied, Witchers died.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man even the subtle, background writing is good in this game. After 50+ hours tromping around Velen and Novigrad - especially Novigrad - where Witchers are barely tolerated at best and met with outright violence at worst it's a striking and pleasant change to go up to Skellige where everyone seems to be a hell of a lot more welcoming and friendly then anywhere else. Even most of the authority figures I've met so far are either cool with Witchers or Geralt's friends from old times.

Welcome traveler! Do you need rest? Food? These are the nicest Vikings ever. :3:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Actually, everything is spelled out between Letho's plotdump at the end of W2 and the beginning of W3.

-Yen dies but knows the Lodge exists
-Upon capturing her, Darth Vattier interrogates her and yanks the knowledge of who is in the Lodge from her head. The Lodge's existence being something of an open secret was established in the first game at least--suspected by many but not much hard info.
-Letho is sent in to kill kings, kick rear end, and chew bubblegum.
-Letho buddies up to Sile to frame her later. He bemoans the plight of the underclasses and the derivation of chief executive power.
-His intended target is the King of Kovir. He was to plant evidence pointing to Sile and the Lodge at the scene/if he was caught.
-Sile and Phillipa come up with the underpants-gnome-grade plan of destabilizing the north to create a Sorceress state.
-Letho hides a quiet titter as he axes his plan against a minor state to gank the leader of one of the four main northern powers at the behest of someone he intended to frame in the first place.

After that Letho goes on his RAMPAGE and the Lodge is in damage-control mode (which involves creating far more damage, because they're the Lodge).

Presumably, Yennifer regains her memory after the Probe, and then nominally works with Nilfgaard because the choice was that or :ese:. Given that Ciri was detected, Yen is all too willing to use whatever is at her disposal to locate her.

Did the Lodge really want to destabilize the North? I thought they just wanted Demavend dead because he hosed with Dol Blathanna.
I mean, the entire point of the Lodge is NOT having the North ravaged by war.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

I completely agree with the inventory being way too cluttered, I just thought that'd help you in the "read the note you just found" quests since new ones will appear first and be marked with an asterisk :)
Ahh gotchya.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got to say I am a little bit annoyed that the Velen main quest chain, given by Yennefer, leads you only to information you already knew that was given to you by Yennefer in the first place. In like your first conversation with her before she departs, she says that she speculates Ciri was headed to Novigrad or Skellige. Then she goes to Skellige to make sure she's not in Skellige. So you hang around in Velen and spend like 30 hours of gameplay doing dual main quest chains there only to find out: Yep, Ciri went to Novigrad. Now go to Novigrad, where Yennefer already told you Ciri was going. Because only now does Geralt know she was going there, and not before when Yennefer told him she was. :geno:

I guess I'm just confused as to why Geralt didn't just go right to Novigrad in the first place, unless I missed something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 2, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Did the Lodge really want to destabilize the North? I thought they just wanted Demavend dead because he hosed with Dol Blathanna.

A lot of people quit the Lodge when it became Philippa's Clubhouse.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Schurik posted:

Should I finish up *everything* before going to the Isle of Mists, or just the stuff in my level range? Does it make narrative sense to bumble about the open world afterwards?

QF new page.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I've got to say I am a little bit annoyed that the Velen main quest chain, given by Yennefer, leads you only to information you already knew that was given to you by Yennefer in the first place. In like your first conversation with her before she departs, she says that she speculates Ciri was headed to Novigrad or Skellige. Then she goes to Skellige to make sure she's not in Skellige. So you hang around in Velen and spend like 30 hours of gameplay doing dual main quest chains there only to find out: Yep, Ciri went to Novigrad. Now go to Novigrad, where Yennefer already told Ciri was going. Because only now does Geralt know she was going there, and not before when Yennefer told him she was. :geno:

I guess I'm just confused as to why Geralt didn't just go right to Novigrad in the first place, unless I missed something.

I thought it was "Ciri was spotted in these three places" without knowing which order? Maybe Yen just knew Skellige was way too high-level for Geralt who mysteriously forgot how to swords again :v:

Arglebargle III posted:

A lot of people quit the Lodge when it became Philippa's Clubhouse.

"Became"? When was it ever not?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

They just wanted Demavend dead. When he cacked it, Philippa and Sile were in a perfect position to create an independent state (Upper Aedirn) headed by an idiot figurehead with a crown (Stennis) and a valorous, charismatic leader of the people (Saskia) under the thumb of a completely helpful and not at all suspicious vizier (Philippa). Their plans could develop from that foundation.

Instead, Letho went and killed Foltest afterwards, throwing the whole region into chaos. Philippa made a game attempt to soldier on with the original plan anyway, even as Henselt and Radovid took the opportunity to scavenge what was left of Foltest's land, but we saw how that turned out.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Schurik posted:

QF new page.

Things get real after you go to the island of mists and I felt compelled to power through the rest of the plot afterwards(of which there is quite a bit) although there is the option to do more open world stuff.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Wachepti posted:

Things get real after you go to the island of mists and I felt compelled to power through the rest of the plot afterwards(of which there is quite a bit) although there is the option to do more open world stuff.

Hm, ok. Guess it's time for hardcore questing!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schurik posted:

QF new page.

No, you'll get back to the open world again, it'll just be a while. It's funny, the actual point of no return doesn't have an explicit warning like that, but it's so obvious that you'd have to be skipping all cutscenes and dialog to not know it's happening.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

You can't carve out a new nation in the midst of four big players without the cover of some chaos. They were hoping to keep it contained to Aedirn and just replace Demavend, but at some point they had to have some sort of ace in the hole to keep the other rulers off balance a bit to shore up their rule. We saw how quick Radovid and Henselt were to gobble up Temeria when Foltest died, and even more pertinently Henselt was about to take advantage of the Lodge-planned assassination to annex upper Aedirn at the least.

I mean, they might have been so monumentally dumb as to think they c-ould neatly off and replace a king, but I doubt they were that blind. Well, until Loc Muinne at least. :laugh:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

I've got to say I am a little bit annoyed that the Velen main quest chain, given by Yennefer, leads you only to information you already knew that was given to you by Yennefer in the first place. In like your first conversation with her before she departs, she says that she speculates Ciri was headed to Novigrad or Skellige. Then she goes to Skellige to make sure she's not in Skellige. So you hang around in Velen and spend like 30 hours of gameplay doing dual main quest chains there only to find out: Yep, Ciri went to Novigrad. Now go to Novigrad, where Yennefer already told Ciri was going. Because only now does Geralt know she was going there, and not before when Yennefer told him she was. :geno:

The order of the visits couldn't be confirmed for sure from the start, and the game even throws you for a loop if you try to skip Velen by revealing that Ciri was in skellige both before and after going to Velen

Ultimately, each of the three places contribute something that is needed for the entire story to progress:

Velen reveals the current location of Uma at Crow's Perch.
Novigrad reveals the words used for Uma's curse, along with the phylactery required to break it.
Skellige reveals the fact that Uma is connected to Ciri somehow, and most likely the product of a curse.

If anything, the Velen arch is weaker than the others entirely because the crucial piece of information gained there is obtained entirely by Uma coincidentally bursting into the Baron's room at the end of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game has more twists and turns than a 70s saturday night fever style disco

edit: And dancing in the 70s had a lot of twisting and turning involved!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 2, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it just me or is it really hard to find Red (non-moster) mutagens? I'm level 16 and have most of Velen's ?s cleared out and I have a million blue and green mutagens but have only found a whopping three lesser red mutagens.

CJacobs posted:

The thing I am most amused by is that once you get to Novigrad (yes I know you can pretty much go straight there but still) you spend an incredible amount of time loving around murdering half the population of Novigrad's underworld/Witch Hunter population, plus trekking back out through the far corners of Velen, just to find Dandelion (I am seriously thinking of keeping a tally of number of humans killed and monsters slayed in the questline(s) to find and free Dandelion). Yes I also know that I can go to Skillige right away, too, but still.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bort Bortles posted:

Is it just me or is it really hard to find Red (non-moster) mutagens? I'm level 16 and have most of Velen's ?s cleared out and I have a million blue and green mutagens but have only found a whopping three lesser red mutagens.

Enemy loot tables are tied to level, and for some reason red mutagens are way more rare at early levels. Maybe it's supposed to balance the attack bonus or something. But by level 20 you'll be drowning in them just like blue and green.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Care to quote the relevant dialog?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

Enemy loot tables are tied to level, and for some reason red mutagens are way more rare at early levels. Maybe it's supposed to balance the attack bonus or something. But by level 20 you'll be drowning in them just like blue and green.

I'm level 22 and I've managed to create only a single Greater red mutagen while I have like 5 blue and green ones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

Care to quote the relevant dialog?

This is three times you've asked people to hit you up with the in-game text. Which, ostensibly, would be the source you'd be referring to for your theory to hold any water.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Begemot posted:

Ahh that makes sense, thank you!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is three times you've asked people to hit you up with the in-game text. Which, ostensibly, would be the source you'd be referring to for your theory to hold any water.

If I had to guess he's using a particular Youtube video of Letho's conversation as his reference. Problem is, the video I'm thinking about skips over the entire branch where Geralt drills him on the fine points of the assassination scheme.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

If I had to guess he's using a particular Youtube video of Letho's conversation as his reference. Problem is, the video in particular skips over the entire branch where Geralt drills him on the fine points of the assassination scheme.

Either way he's being one tedious mother fucker

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Big Bidness posted:

Either way he's being one tedious mother fucker

I'm sorry, care to quote me some relevant posts on this to back it up?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I feel sorry for Letho in W3. I assume since he is being hunted as a loose end that Emyir doesn't have any plans to start up the viper witcher school like he said he would. So all that work Letho did was for naught and he'll never see the day that his brethren would be accepted by people and not forced to live in hiding.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

I'm sorry, care to quote me some relevant posts on this to back it up?

Feel free to lend some credence to this statement by citing your sources.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Broose posted:

I feel sorry for Letho in W3. I assume since he is being hunted as a loose end that Emyir doesn't have any plans to start up the viper witcher school like he said he would. So all that work Letho did was for naught and he'll never see the day that his brethren would be accepted by people and not forced to live in hiding.
The next-gen Witcher games are going to be a build-your-own witcher who was trained by Geralt and Letho at the WolfViper school. Then they could still have tie-ins and people you know from before because you are Geralt's apprentice and any friend of Geralt is a friend of mine. Except then you can be an rear end in a top hat and piss Geralt off, then go open your own witcher school that has (more?) hookers and blow.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've had the exact same issue. Supposedly quicksaving and reloading in place can fix it, but I just started going to the weaponsmith in Novigrad (directly south from the armorer on Hierarch Square) instead to save me that hassle.

Is it normal for that guy to only be there in the mornings? Whenever I pass through and want to sell some poo poo I always have to meditate til like 9AM to get him to appear unlike pretty much every other NPC.

Begemot posted:

I have quite a few red ones at lvl 16 but they're all weird unique ones that you can't use in crafting. Kind of irritating.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bort Bortles posted:

Ahh that makes sense, thank you!

I went back to White Orchard to tie up some loose ends at level 18 and there was some incredible loot being guarded by some completely doomed level 2 deserters. Up until that point I didn't know loot scaled but it makes sense.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

I have quite a few red ones at lvl 16 but they're all weird unique ones that you can't use in crafting. Kind of irritating.

Yeah, monster-specific mutagens don't count--they're used for specific decoctions, not mutagen slotting on the character sheet. Color for those appears to be arbitrary. Makes sense the attack power ones would be delayed; it's easy enough to get overpowered for the early levels without being (more of) an obscene berzerker mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Broose posted:

The guy gives Phillipa a run for her money in the "Nr 1 selfish rear end in a top hat" competition, so I can't feel too sorry for him.
He played with fire and got burned.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 2, 2015