Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

The 80's are back!

In pog form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Maybe Republican primary pogs and slammers could make it happen.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Honestly, if there are enough LGBT members in the GOP, it may not be a bad thing. Hopefully the party will rip themselves apart and rid of us their bullshit.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It'd be hilarious if some hacker outed 3/4 of the GOP as LGBT and then they were all like, "Oh, hey, well now... huh, you know what?," and went full Equal Rights.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Accretionist posted:

It'd be hilarious if some hacker outed 3/4 of the GOP as LGBT and then they were all like, "Oh, hey, well now... huh, you know what?," and went full Equal Rights.

Haha, right? All those GOP must just be self-hating queers, you know? Them funny homos, keeping themselves down. Silly fags, why do you do this to yourselves, hahahaha.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Cue 500 press releases of "going to counseling" and no change in position.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sir Tonk posted:

The 80's are back!
Fuckin' sweet! I knew I held onto this jacket for a reason

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I miss denim jackets for real though in springtime.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Doctor Butts posted:

Attaching a season to it doesn't make jean jackets any more acceptable

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Who What Now posted:

Haha, right? All those GOP must just be self-hating queers, you know? Them funny homos, keeping themselves down. Silly fags, why do you do this to yourselves, hahahaha.

R's getting outed has happened so many times now It's ceased to be shocking. It really wouldn't surprise me if a healthy percentage of the GOP turned out to be less than a 6 on the ol' Kinsey scale.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

R's getting outed has happened so many times now It's ceased to be shocking. It really wouldn't surprise me if a healthy percentage of the GOP turned out to be less than a 6 on the ol' Kinsey scale.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RoanHorse posted:

Can we not say transphobic poo poo about a woman who's spent at least fifty years living in despair? That's the last thing we need on this forum.

Despair?? He was a multimillionaire former Olympic champion (with a wife and a family). Are you kidding me? That's just heightened drama on your part, not reality. He's doing this because he can, not because he has to. If he was really courageous he would have done way back when it wasn't acceptable (ie not Vanity Fair material) and he was still famous. This whole thing is ridiculous.

As in, do you know how un-despairing you have to be to consistently perform at the level of an Olympic athlete?

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 2, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's right. No high level amateur athlete has ever had a bad life.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

So many outed gay Republicans, so it wouldn't be at all weird if they were all closeted queers! I bet they are, I mean, what other explanation is there? That they really are just straight bigots? Haha, I-I... I don't even wanna thinks about that because it's so silly! Silly like the act they put on trying to fool us, right? But you and me, buddy, we see through it, yes we do. Those devious homos can't get anything past us!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

California is raising its minimum wage, so now, McDoubles will be $15, and all the poors will be paid like salary engineers. We are on the way to destruction, based on the Facebook comments I've been reading.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for a couple of years from now when either we get lots of front-page stories about how terrible life in Cali is now thanks to the Minimum-Wage (of DOOM) or we hear nothing for some reason.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm confused because denim jackets are popular and acceptable, now, with young people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tautologicus posted:

Despair?? He was a multimillionaire former Olympic champion (with a wife and a family). Are you kidding me? That's just heightened drama on your part, not reality. He's doing this because he can, not because he has to. If he was really courageous he would have done way back when it wasn't acceptable (ie not Vanity Fair material) and he was still famous. This whole thing is ridiculous.

As in, do you know how un-despairing you have to be to consistently perform at the level of an Olympic athlete?

I didn't mean to turn this into the Jenner thread but:

All of what you posted is wrong except for the parts I bolded. So, what, you think being wealthy, having a wife and family and being famous protects you from despair and sadness? Robin Williams, Curt Cobain, Hunter Thompson, Marvin Gaye, Junior Seau...Give me a loving break and think about what you just wrote.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Who What Now posted:

So many outed gay Republicans, so it wouldn't be at all weird if they were all closeted queers! I bet they are, I mean, what other explanation is there? That they really are just straight bigots? Haha, I-I... I don't even wanna thinks about that because it's so silly! Silly like the act they put on trying to fool us, right? But you and me, buddy, we see through it, yes we do. Those devious homos can't get anything past us!

I think there is an interesting phenomenon where the whole construct of "gay as a choice" may actually attract, rather than repel, closeted gay men. Like, obviously the whole "The GOP are a bunch of closeted gays" thing is a joke, but I think part of the reason that you see these queer conservatives taking such hardline stances is because they see the whole idea of homosexuality as a moral struggle with the devil as genuinely descriptive of their condition, and a useful religious construct to deal with it. So guys like Ted Haggard aren't hypocrites in a cynical sense, rejecting their own kind for power and money, but are genuine true-believers who see their own struggle reflected in that narrative, and are all the more committed because of it.

It really wouldn't surprise me if a disproportionate percentage of the most vociferous gay bashers were closeted. As a bisexual man, there's a "there but for the grace of God go I" element - not that I ever was religious or self-loathing - but growing up bisexual in the 90's was a genuinely confusing experience, and it's easy for me to understand the appeal of this narrative to similarly confused people who grew up in an even more oppressive era or place.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah and they can just "stop being gay" whenever they "choose", which (in their minds) saves their precious masculinity.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Who What Now posted:

You're a strange person and I don't want to be friends with you. Assuming an even distribution of gay people among congress which party is more likely to going to try to stuff you into a closet? It's not a conspiracy, just a natural consequence of republican strategies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Periodiko posted:

I think there is an interesting phenomenon where the whole construct of "gay as a choice" may actually attract, rather than repel, closeted gay men. Like, obviously the whole "The GOP are a bunch of closeted gays" thing is a joke, but I think part of the reason that you see these queer conservatives taking such hardline stances is because they see the whole idea of homosexuality as a moral struggle with the devil as genuinely descriptive of their condition, and a useful religious construct to deal with it. So guys like Ted Haggard aren't hypocrites in a cynical sense, rejecting their own kind for power and money, but are genuine true-believers who see their own struggle reflected in that narrative, and are all the more committed because of it.

It really wouldn't surprise me if a disproportionate percentage of the most vociferous gay bashers were closeted. As a bisexual man, there's a "there but for the grace of God go I" element - not that I ever was religious or self-loathing - but growing up bisexual in the 90's was a genuinely confusing experience, and it's easy for me to understand the appeal of this narrative to similarly confused people who grew up in an even more oppressive era or place.

That doesn't make it any less lovely to turn those closeted gay men into a joke and a pejorative to be flung casually at the GOP or any other group that opposes same-sex rights with a giggling sneer. It denigrates them and homosexuals as a whole to do that. It's no better than the "mincing limp-wristed fairy human being" stereotype of decades past, it's equating being gay with something negative just for the sake of it. It also shifts the blame for opposing equal rights onto homosexuals themselves. The vast majority of anti-gay bigots are going to be straight because the vast majority of people are straight.

Edit:

You're a strange person and I don't want to be friends with you. Assuming an even distribution of gay people among congress which party is more likely to going to try to stuff you into a closet? It's not a conspiracy, just a natural consequence of republican strategies.

See above. Trying to say that the GOP is disproportionately filled with self-hating gays is lovely, and I was mocking you for trying to turn it into a cruel joke.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 2, 2015

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm confused because denim jackets are popular and acceptable, now, with young people.

If my cousins son is any indication, MC hammer style sweat pants are also popular with the younger crowd. Just because they are accepting of a style doesn't mean they won't look back and regret it like we do.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The lady who wants to kill all poors is doing a good thing for trans rights, full stop.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Why.

I bet you the most vociferous black bashers aren't secretly black. The nature of heteronormativity makes closeted self-hating gays possible in a way that closeted blackness isn't possible sure, but closeted gays are also victims of entrenched homophobia in a culture dominated by heterosexuals. Virulent homophobia is not an invention of homosexuals, nor are we responsible for its perpetuation. It seems like so many bigots are gay because the irony when one is outed is memorable, nothing more.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
people can just be ignorant or not very nice, there doesn't have to be some big explanation for everything

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Technical Analysis posted:

If my cousins son is any indication, MC hammer style sweat pants are also popular with the younger crowd. Just because they are accepting of a style doesn't mean they won't look back and regret it like we do.

Anybody who makes it to old age and has time to regret clothing is either doing amazing in life for they're a dirty loving liar.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chantilly Say posted:

Anybody who makes it to old age and has time to regret clothing is either doing amazing in life for they're a dirty loving liar.

Everyone does that, though. Not DEEP regrets or anything like that, but occasionally you'll see an old picture of JNCOs or parachute pants and feel a pang of shame that you ever thought those were cool.

e: So not actual regret, even, just a sudden moment of shame on behalf of your past self.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Who What Now posted:

See above. Trying to say that the GOP is disproportionately filled with self-hating gays is lovely, and I was mocking you for trying to turn it into a cruel joke.

I think you have me confused with accretionist, he's the one who said it'd be 'hilarious'.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Since this actually relates Fox Hosts: Caitlyn Jenner's Real Bravery Is In Being A Conservative

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I win the most sensible post about Caitlyn Jenner award.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

VitalSigns posted:

Why.

I bet you the most vociferous black bashers aren't secretly black. The nature of heteronormativity makes closeted self-hating gays possible in a way that closeted blackness isn't possible sure, but closeted gays are also victims of entrenched homophobia in a culture dominated by heterosexuals. Virulent homophobia is not an invention of homosexuals, nor are we responsible for its perpetuation.

None of this is relevant.

quote:

It seems like so many bigots are gay because the irony when one is outed is memorable, nothing more.

I don't know that that's true, and there's definitely a phenomenon of gay men entering ostensibly homophobic clerical institutions in disproportionate percentages.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Idk about being secretly gay but Republicans are undeniably pre-occupied with gay men in a haphazard and inconsistent way that indicates some weird sexual problem involving them specifically.

Which, frankly, makes me think being a cliche self loathing closeted gay is probably one of the healthier explanations for their behavior.

Edit: Like okay lets all agree Rick Santorum is a straight man. Does confirming that fact make his graphic and encyclopedic knowledge of an apocryphal version of gay sex, all the things christ ever thought about it, how it drives the fate of entire nations and the gay illuminati that are after him and everyone who likes him LESS weird to you?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Idk about being secretly gay but Republicans are undeniably pre-occupied with gay men in a haphazard and inconsistent way that indicates some weird sexual problem involving them specifically.

Which, frankly, makes me think being a cliche self loathing closeted gay is probably one of the healthier explanations for their behavior.

Edit: Like okay lets all agree Rick Santorum is a straight man. Does confirming that fact make his graphic and encyclopedic knowledge of an apocryphal version of gay sex, all the things christ ever thought about it, how it drives the fate of entire nations and the gay illuminati that are after him and everyone who likes him LESS weird to you?

I think a lot of it boils down to the basic hypocrisy of it all, like a lot of religious based arguments. Not a lot of us here seem real quick to make fun of a person for being gay, bi, soliciting hookers or whatever, but when you build your entire political career or a religious empire espousing the idea that these people will burn in hell etc. etc. then the backlash, in my opinion, is well deserved since they've been the ones throwing the stones.

It's like when Rush Limbaugh for years called for stricter penalties for drug users and constantly railed against the ACLU. The second he was caught and found himself addicted, he enlisted the help of the ACLU and avoided jail. Nobody here much cares if people do drugs or defend their civil liberties but when people who regularly label those things the Root of All Evil and the cause of the downfall of America get caught doing it themselves it's tough not to feel a little bit of satisfaction about it.

See also: Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, Dennis Hastert, Ted Haggart.

TL/DR: No one cares much who's gay and who's not or does drugs or whatever but when people in power throw stones it's nice to see their glass house get shattered.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Anybody watch Greg Gutfeld's new show? I caught the last 5 minutes of it the other night and it was just...terribly unfunny. Part of it was him ranting about how edgy people are so stupid and uncool, and that the cool thing now is to be uncool, like him, all with an awkward, humorless bitterness. "Comedy".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

beatlegs posted:

Anybody watch Greg Gutfeld's new show? I caught the last 5 minutes of it the other night and it was just...terribly unfunny. Part of it was him ranting about how edgy people are so stupid and uncool, and that the cool thing now is to be uncool, like him, all with an awkward, humorless bitterness. "Comedy".

Isn't Greg Guntfeld just a edgelord himself?"

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 2, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes and no?

Gutfeld's entire thing is he's a troll who tries to shock you, but he's also a huge coward who would never go to levels that these Crowder and Johnson guys go. He doesn't say offensive words, he just offends you by having zero human sympathy, compassion, concern, or respect for anyone else. And then he just does the whole "anti-PC", "I'm just a normal person" thing.

Its basically really lame edginess. He's a horrible person but he's also never going to actually go far enough on a ledge to ever get in any real trouble. He doesn't have the balls. He's not there for edgy kids, he's there for lame middle aged and elderly people with no sense of humor who don't want to feel as old as they are.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The hypocrisy is what makes it delicious, but what im saying is accusing Republicans of all being closet cases is lazy. Their assertion is that they're straight. Okay I buy it, so if that's not the reason for this extremely outsized focus on gay men, what is?

And if they could even give you an honest answer, do you think there's any chance its more understandable or noble than someone who was just freaking because they love dick and couldn't express it?

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

In general the 'closeted gays are the biggest homophobes!' thing, when treated as a joke for everybody that openly supports lgbt rights to laugh at, just makes the lives of a handful of closeted gay men and women that are entrenched in homophobic movements that much more lovely. Do you really want to make fun of somebody's orientation in a way that tends to vindicate their actions, forcing them further into the closet?
Also there's the problem of putting the onus for the destruction of homophobia on gay people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The hypocrisy is what makes it delicious, but what im saying is accusing Republicans of all being closet cases is lazy. Their assertion is that they're straight. Okay I buy it, so if that's not the reason for this extremely outsized focus on gay men, what is?

And if they could even give you an honest answer, do you think there's any chance its more understandable or noble than someone who was just freaking because they love dick and couldn't express it?

They are deeply insecure in their masculinity and they deflect by focusing negative action toward the group that to them embodies the opposite of masculinity to reaffirm themselves and their desire to be strongly male.

Also a lot of them are closet cases.