Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone know why Google Services would be draining so much battery life with all location settings turned off in my settings? My battery usually will last upwards of 16hrs before I need to connect a charger 24hrs if I don't have bluetooth enabled/paired with my watch, but today it's been off charger for about 6 hours and I am down to 29% already and Google Services is the top item with 5hr30min of keep awake time.

Google services is a catch-all. Assuming you're not rooted, the only way to tell what app is pinging Google Services so much is to remove recently installed/updated apps until you identify the offending app by process of elimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So it's been a few days.... how's that M preview working out for those brave souls?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it's been a few days.... how's that M preview working out for those brave souls?

Perfectly fine for me. No problems at all.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

With the caveat that it is one of my dev phones and not my daily driver, no issues.

Eejit posted:

Haha what? It has an extra gig of ram, higher pixel density on a larger display, and better camera.

RVP covered most of the things I wanted to say, so I'll just add that I could not be happier with my G2 since the Lollipop update. I don't expect it to get any more updates, certainly not M, and that's a real problem if someone were buying the phone now to use for 2+ years, but the current state of the G2 is very good. If you can really get it for ~$200, that's an excellent deal. All of the annoying LG software issues (bigger default font, menu button instead of multitask, tons of junk cluttering the notification shade, popups when you plug the headphones/charging cord in) have all been fixed. The phone still gets 2 days of battery life with light-moderate usage. The camera and screen are still really good. I definitely would not get a G3 over a G2.

I really love stock Lollipop. In my opinion stock is still better than skinned, but the G2's build is way better than Samsung's Lollipop (at least on the S5, I don't have an S6), and I like it better than the M8's lollipop too (don't have an M9). It's not as good as Motorola's near stock experience (and I don't have a Sony phone to compare it with), but I'm not on Verizon and I needed a bigger battery than any of their non-Turbo phones had (same reason I didn't go with a N5), and it's close enough that I don't regret it.

Kitkat on the G2 had a lot of LG caused software issues. The trade off of crappy software for a bigger battery was very noticeable. The G2 on Lollipop is still a trade off, but it is small enough that I don't notice it day to day anymore.

LG's warranty support does still suck though.

EDIT: Oh! There is still 1 stupid LG software thing, and it is new. When you use swipe to unlock, and have a notification on the lock screen, if you tap the notification, you then have to swipe to unlock. Stock lollipop unlocks if you double tap the notification, and that makes way more sense.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Personally the biggest thing I'm looking forward to in M is Now on Tap. I want to be able to say, "Ok Google, check in Odell IPA on Untapped," and have it magically work. I already feel like I'm on the bridge of the Enterprise when I ask my phone to play Achy Breaky Heart on Spotify and it obliges.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Flashed it to my N5 yesterday, it's working perfectly. It really just feels like a polished version of Lollipop, it's a very different beast to the L Preview builds.

I did have to wipe data but that was to be expected. When it first booted every app just crashed immediately upon launch and half of the system UI was broken or missing. A factory reset fixed it and now it's good. Edit: Oh, I also had to cycle Aeroplane Mode once on first boot to get the radio to work, but no issues since.

It's a shame that Google Now On Tap is missing because I'm pretty excited to see that working. Sounds like we may get it in a later build.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

zero issues for my N5.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

nimper posted:

GSM dev edition is xt1053. Verizon model is xt1060.

I'm seeing developer edition XT1060s (no branding in pictures) listing Verizon and GSM. Are some of them dependent on sim card, or can a given phone only be CDMA or GSM, not compatible with both?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Grumpwagon posted:

RVP covered most of the things I wanted to say, so I'll just add that I could not be happier with my G2 since the Lollipop update. I don't expect it to get any more updates, certainly not M, and that's a real problem if someone were buying the phone now to use for 2+ years, but the current state of the G2 is very good. If you can really get it for ~$200, that's an excellent deal. All of the annoying LG software issues (bigger default font, menu button instead of multitask, tons of junk cluttering the notification shade, popups when you plug the headphones/charging cord in) have all been fixed.

On my G3 the software is still hilariously bad even after the lollipop update
- The notification shade is still cluttered, and it expands quick settings by default (which means you can't expand notifications without first collapsing quick settings)
- The font is still way too big and there is no option to use the standard Android font
- Other UI elements like the clock and nav buttons are 150% the size they should be
- Search has been removed from the settings menu for no apparent reason
- Dialer, Contacts, Messages etc all look like Gingerbread apps
- All the lockscreen animations look awful and there is no option to switch them off

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm seeing developer edition XT1060s (no branding in pictures) listing Verizon and GSM. Are some of them dependent on sim card, or can a given phone only be CDMA or GSM, not compatible with both?

If it's compatible with Verizon it won't have the LTE bands you'd like on AT&T or T-Mobile.

dissss posted:

On my G3 the software is still hilariously bad even after the lollipop update
- The notification shade is still cluttered, and it expands quick settings by default (which means you can't expand notifications without first collapsing quick settings)
- The font is still way too big and there is no option to use the standard Android font
- Other UI elements like the clock and nav buttons are 150% the size they should be
- Search has been removed from the settings menu for no apparent reason
- Dialer, Contacts, Messages etc all look like Gingerbread apps
- All the lockscreen animations look awful and there is no option to switch them off

But hey on the plus side you get their lovely build quality!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

zero issues for my N5.

For some reason I can't log into the NJTransit app. My previous monthly pass worked fine, but I can't log in to buy a new one. Dunno if the service is down or if the app doesn't work in M.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Got notified the other day that the wife won a S6 Edge from US Cellular's contest they ran back in April. Nice little surprise.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

You forgot "One True Sized (aka 2013 Moto X)".

It looks like Sony has discontinued the Z3 Compact.

There will not be nicely-sized phones. You will welcome you huge phone overlords.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

There will not be nicely-sized phones. You will welcome you huge phone overlords.

you fuckers stop buying huge phones right now

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Samsung is releasing a S6 mini that's 4.6 but the screen is pretty meh. :-/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

The rest of it is probably extremely meh as well

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

vyst posted:

Samsung hasn't figured out that small != crap; they keep doing compact models that use poo poo components for the guts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

If it's compatible with Verizon it won't have the LTE bands you'd like on AT&T or T-Mobile.

But hey on the plus side you get their lovely build quality!

I see now. They appear to have made a Verizon developer edition as well as an unlocked developer edition. These sites must be listing the bands for the unbranded unlocked version as the bands for their Verizon unlocked versions.

I guess now the question is used Moto X or new LG G2, since the only unbranded developer editions are $300+, which is outside my price range. Unless there is something else I should be considering under $275.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Samsung hasn't figured out that small != crap; they keep doing compact models that use poo poo components for the guts.

It isn't Samsung, it's all of them.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The Moto G is still well-proportioned. :shrug:

You don't need octogenarian-cores with 3gigs of LDDR3 and 128GB of storage or a 4K display. You need potato.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Moto G is a nice device, but no kind of answer to a complaint that flagship phones are only available in two sizes: huge, and fuckoff huge.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm gonna buy a second nexus 6 and glue it to the side of my current one just so I can experience what life is like for most goons.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Join us, 5-inches and up screens are the true way now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

It's been pointed out before...but...what else are you supposed to buy now? :smith:

I really loved the size of my Razr M.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was wiping my Galaxy SIII for my brother to use the other day and wondered to myself how I ever interacted with such a laughably small device. If I rest my note 4 in the palm of my hand it doesn't reach the edge of my hand in any dimension.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I was wiping my Galaxy SIII for my brother to use the other day and wondered to myself how I ever interacted with such a laughably small device. If I rest my note 4 in the palm of my hand it doesn't reach the edge of my hand in any dimension.

Congrats on your basketball-palming genetics. Meanwhile, I'm doing the same with a Nexus 5 and it almost exactly goes from base of palm to tip of little finger, though not quite as wide as my hand. Under 6' crew checking in.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Cool, big phone vs small phone chat. The cycle is starting. Can't wait for the discussion on SD cards!!

For real though, I used to be a big phone hater too but now that the iPhone went big we're never going to get small phones back. At least not for awhile.

Hail Satan.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
SD cards are too big. When are they going to make those smaller? :mad:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Spigen has the dark blue slim cases for the N6 on sale for 5 bucks today.

http://www.spigen.com/collections/nexus-6/products/nexus-6-case-slim-armor?variant=1181939913

If you've never registered on their site you can stack it with the new customer discount; $3.74 shipped.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus 6 is $150 off right now with free shipping.

https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6?utm_source=google-com-nexus&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=nexus-6

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is it worth going from the N5 to the N6 with new phones like the Moto X probably coming within the next 90-120 days? The new Nexus is probably coming along in November as well, but I keep hearing the X 2015 associated with a September release date.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

That's a pretty cool deal, but we're due for a refresh in a few months right?

FAUXTON posted:

Is it worth going from the N5 to the N6 with new phones coming within the next 90-120 days?

N4 is still a pretty speedy little phone, and the N5 will be relevant for another two years I'm sure.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

Is it worth going from the N5 to the N6 with new phones like the Moto X probably coming within the next 90-120 days? The new Nexus is probably coming along in November as well, but I keep hearing the X 2015 associated with a September release date.

Not unless you want a bigger phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rastor posted:

At least the resale of my Z3C is going to be good in a few months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Not unless you want a bigger phone.

I'm not opposed to a bigger phone but I'm more interested in a better phone, and what I get for waiting seems to be more better than what I can get right now, even for a $150 discount.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Angry Fish posted:

That's a pretty cool deal, but we're due for a refresh in a few months right?

N4 is still a pretty speedy little phone, and the N5 will be relevant for another two years I'm sure.

Yeah, I'm completely happy with my N5. I see no reason to update. I'm considering getting a Moto E or G though to put my SIM in when I bike. I'll probably pick up the N5-2 if one comes out this fall, though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I thought S6 mini looked really promising according to random internet rumors. Basically like S6, but smaller and with less ridiculous resolution. Z3 compact has same size and res display and no one complained about that. The Snapdragon 808 is the same as in G4. 2GB ram should be enough. Hopefully the build is as nice as in S6.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, I'm completely happy with my N5. I see no reason to update. I'm considering getting a Moto E or G though to put my SIM in when I bike. I'll probably pick up the N5-2 if one comes out this fall, though.

So, My Nexus 4 is starting to show it's age (the back I cracked ages ago is really starting to fall apart in the case, the case is starting to have pieces fall off, and the battery life is starting to go down significantly), and I basically want an N5 or a Moto E or G as a replacement. Is the new version of the G still pretty much the king of low-cost awesome phones? I couldn't really tell where the focus/price shift was between a Moto E or a Moto G. Cost is king for me because I am trying to get a business off the ground and that is where like all of my money is going, I'm not looking forward to having to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone :( (I also have to fight my techno-lust that says definitely worth it to wait and get an N5-2)

E: VVVV Interesting, never even heard of the ZenFone, I'll have to go do some research.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 2, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

surc posted:

So, My Nexus 4 is starting to show it's age (the back I cracked ages ago is really starting to fall apart in the case, the case is starting to have pieces fall off, and the battery life is starting to go down significantly), and I basically want an N5 or a Moto E or G as a replacement. Is the new version of the G still pretty much the king of low-cost awesome phones? I couldn't really tell where the focus/price shift was between a Moto E or a Moto G. Cost is king for me because I am trying to get a business off the ground and that is where like all of my money is going, I'm not looking forward to having to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone :(

Yes, pretty much. However:

Rastor posted:

Moto G: $179.00

ASUS ZenFone 2: $199.00

Worth considering, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

surc posted:

So, My Nexus 4 is starting to show it's age (the back I cracked ages ago is really starting to fall apart in the case, the case is starting to have pieces fall off, and the battery life is starting to go down), and I basically want an N5 or a Moto E or G as a replacement. Is the new version of the G still pretty much the king of low-cost awesome phones? I couldn't really tell where the focus/price shift was between a Moto E or a Moto G. Cost is king for me because I am trying to get a business off the ground and that is where like all of my money is going, I'm not looking forward to having to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone :(

Actually, I thought the newer'r E is a smidge faster than the newer G, simply because they have similar SoC's but the E is pushing less pixels.

Get the 2nd Gen G for the build quality, and the 2nd Gen E for the cost. E also has a slight battery edge. The camera on the E has fewer pixels, but takes nicer photos in lighted areas.