Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Effectronica posted:

It would be a lot easier for liberals to support gun rights if the people who advocated for guns didn't talk about how some people have lives that are worth protecting, and others are less valuable than property. Makes them look like they're racist, sexist, etc.

I consider myself pretty far-left and I do support gun rights, but I'm not very outspoken about it at all because I want nothing to do with the sick paranoid scumbags who conflate the right to bear arms with the right to essentially brandish them at all times and use them on whomever they please with minimal legal consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

flakeloaf posted:

But he was acquitted anyway, either because the jury really hates druggie vandal squatters or because they believed his claim that Devine, who was very much hosed up on drugs, tried to resist his good-faith attempt to evict them from his house.

Burgarello owns an alarm company and has been a pretty big fish in Nevada for a while. It's a possibility his money and connections helped him out.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

One of them survived and testified. You should spend more time keeping up with the thread and less demonstrating your ignorance and weak burns.

Edit - lol you even edited out references to the person who survived.

Okay, so it's a homeless dude vs a known member of the community; the homeless dude is always going to lose that. You're right that the impression I got was that both of them were dead! It doesn't change much about what happened, though, does it?

I haven't edited anything though, so I'm not sure where you got that impression from? I mean, considering that literally 99% of your post history is defending guns and police, and that my fuckup is literally right there in the post you quoted....

twodot posted:

This is certainly possible, but I think you're the first person to suggest this. Let's say he is lying, then he is a murderer who got away with the crime, what do you want to discuss about that? (Also one of them is not dead, and we did indeed ask them what happened.)

If I am the first person to suggest that maybe this was a deliberate killing, why was he charged (and, of course, found not guilty) of first-degree murder? Clearly there is someone other than me who thinks that "straight up deliberate killing" is not an unlikely scenario.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Sure, I do. I also don't think there's any need whatsoever for police to carry a fixed blade knife. Theres a variety of better tools, including tools with blades, that are much more useful. Added benefit of not having a drat fixed blade knife hanging off you if you're in close quarters with someone.

It's okay for me to think this. It's also okay for you to disagree.

Yup that's totally the argument you made that I called you out on....

Hey, militarized police chat needs it's comic relief !

You know what'd be great? Weapon attachments that not only make our rifles less accurate, but would cause an absolute shitstorm if they were ever used.

Odds are they just got them because they were available and weapon-toys are fun for adult-kids. Although I wish I could actually say for certain they never would've been attached in any sort of policing situation.

But hey now you can settle for being wrong about the utility of free high-quality knives!

I will give you this though:

Added benefit of not having a drat fixed blade knife hanging off you if you're in close quarters with someone.

If someone is that incompetent with knives or stowing their kit they probably shouldn't be handling knives... or guns for that matter.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jarmak posted:

Its kind of amusing to watch this thread go from "never call the police" to "you don't need a gun that's what police are there for" without even pausing to take a breath.

Police are useful if you need people dead but don't want to go through the hassle (legal fees, court dates, buying ammunition) of doing it yourself.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Mattybee posted:

If I am the first person to suggest that maybe this was a deliberate killing, why was he charged (and, of course, found not guilty) of first-degree murder? Clearly there is someone other than me who thinks that "straight up deliberate killing" is not an unlikely scenario.

quote:

homeless dude vs a known member of the community; the homeless dude is always going to lose that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

If someone is that incompetent with knives or stowing their kit they probably shouldn't be handling knives... or guns for that matter.

I'm glad that we've changed your mind about police use of guns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Eek. He was mad as hell and he just wasn't going to take this vandalism lying down anymore, somebody was just gonna hafta pay. That bit of tough talk made it sound like he went in after them - he knew they were in there because someone phoned him and told him - with the intention of shooting them. Apparently the stand your ground in Nevada says you can't do that:

What's weird is Waco PR knows that the guy said all these things, yet it's still not picking a fight if you say "I am going to go to this place and shoot some people" and then you do, as long as you would have had a right to go to that place and check for scuffs on the doorframes.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Yes, I know. The point wasn't that he was found not guilty, it's that he was charged with first-degree murder in the first place. If someone did not think there was the possibility it was deliberate, first-degree murder would not have been a potential charge!

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

flakeloaf posted:

She certainly did, and it didn't sound very good.

And she wasn't the only one.

Eek. He was mad as hell and he just wasn't going to take this vandalism lying down anymore, somebody was just gonna hafta pay. That bit of tough talk made it sound like he went in after them - he knew they were in there because someone phoned him and told him - with the intention of shooting them. Apparently the stand your ground in Nevada says you can't do that:

But he was acquitted anyway, either because the jury really hates druggie vandal squatters or because they believed his claim that Devine, who was very much hosed up on drugs, tried to resist Burgarello's good-faith attempt to evict them from his house, and he believed that the flashlight that Devine allegedly picked up with his non-dominant hand on the other side of his body for some reason, looked like a gun. To his credit, Devine didn't know he was trespassing so he may actually have been fixing to "defend himself" from Burgarello's aggression.
Yes I know. And I acknowledged it in an earlier post. He did say say some bad things years ago (curious he would care so much if he had effectively abandoned the property like some claim). Was he still in the same state of mind? Is your theory that he waited years to plot his revenge? Does being angry at someone who destroys your property suddenly make you the aggressor? Sounds like he wasn't the initial person to act inappropriately.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think the part where he shoots unarmed prone people he had just awoken in an abandoned building in the middle of the night is the part that makes him an aggressor, not "bein' mad"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I consider myself pretty far-left and I do support gun rights, but I'm not very outspoken about it at all because I want nothing to do with the sick paranoid scumbags who conflate the right to bear arms with the right to essentially brandish them at all times and use them on whomever they please with minimal legal consequences.

This is kinda where I am. Gun rights are something that I support but it always seems in reality they are only for certain people regardless of how aggressive, reckless, or irresponsible they are while for others even holding a toy in public is risking a public execution.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

The Mattybee posted:

Okay, so it's a homeless dude vs a known member of the community; the homeless dude is always going to lose that. You're right that the impression I got was that both of them were dead! It doesn't change much about what happened, though, does it?

I haven't edited anything though, so I'm not sure where you got that impression from? I mean, considering that literally 99% of your post history is defending guns and police, and that my fuckup is literally right there in the post you quoted....
When you quoted me you edited out references to the woman that survived.

What does my post history have to do with your fuckup?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Yes I know. And I acknowledged it in an earlier post. He did say say some bad things years ago (curious he would care so much if he had effectively abandoned the property like some claim). Was he still in the same state of mind? Is your theory that he waited years to plot his revenge? Does being angry at someone who destroys your property suddenly make you the aggressor? Sounds like he wasn't the initial person to act inappropriately.

I have no idea. There's a good chance the jury, who understand Nevada law, actually examined all of the evidence and heard all the principals testify about this one firsthand, know rather a bit more about the case than I do. All I've got is my own personal ideas about when it's okay to shoot someone and when it's not. If I knew there were a hobo living in my shed, I'd be torn between hoofing the door and saying "Hey get the gently caress out of my shed', calling the cops to have the guy kicked out or just plugging the garden hose into a gap in the roof and waiting.

VitalSigns posted:

I think the part where he shoots unarmed prone people he had just awoken in an abandoned building in the middle of the night is the part that makes him an aggressor, not "bein' mad"

That certainly sounds like being an "initial aggressor" to me. I don't think anger at the destruction of my property at some point in the past justifies going there with the intention of killing the next motherfucker who pisses in my precious cottage, even if the guy I find doing it had eaten a whole bushel of asparagus first and was acting most inappropriately when I caught him. But again, that's me, some other guy in some other state did something different and the jury said that was a-okay so :shrug:

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

So him entering his property was not the initial aggressive act? Or what he said years ago was not the initial aggressive act? His shooting them was the initial aggressive act?

You're going to ignore the evidence (his testimony, the location if the flashlight) that the deceased was the one who made the first aggressive move?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Turning on a light in the dark, what an unreasonable response to being suddenly awoken.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rhesus Pieces posted:

When you consider how hunting, pest control in rural areas, etc. are never advanced as valid reasons to own a gun (the only time I've even seen them mentioned was some guy in GBS ranting about how hunters can't be trusted and would sell the real gunowners out), and that the primary reasoning is about killing people (or rather "self-defense", which is very likely to be lethal when you shoot someone), there seems to be an ulterior motive at play here. Going outside of the internet, you never hear this kind of reasoning in person, so what seems to be the case is that you have this shrinking minority of people who are primarily focused on paranoia and see guns as a way to stave off their paranoid fantasies, and they dominate the conversation.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Turning on a light in the dark, what an unreasonable response to being suddenly awoken.
Too bad it can easily be misinterpretted. Probably a good idea to not put yourself in such a situation where it can be misinterpreted.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Making sudden moves while being held at gunpoint is stupid and will probably get you killed.

Effectronica posted:

Going outside of the internet, you never hear this kind of reasoning in person

The tumblrification of the gun control argument. Literally triggered.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Too bad it can easily be misinterpretted. Probably a good idea to not put yourself in such a situation where it can be misinterpreted.

Like knocking on the door of a house for help after a car crash or checking out the shed at the house you just bought. All things that are good ideas not to do because they can be misinterpreted as something worth killing over apparently.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did they even know they were at gunpoint? It was dark, and they were had just woken up, and the accused's own statements didn't include saying he had a gun.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The interesting thing is that if we take the interpretation that he shot in self-defense, then he would still have been better off without the gun, since he wouldn't have killed anyone, and just not having it in his hand would have greatly increased the chance that everyone survives. But of course, this is unreasonable, as you should assume that everyone is itching for a chance to kill you. That is, there was nothing wrong with what he did because paranoia is more reasonable than not being paranoid.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

So if I'm understanding your argument correctly, if you don't want to be shot you need to be absolutely sure any abandoned building you seek shelter in is actually abandoned and not just a honeypot for gun wielding old men. Live and learn I guess, er... well I guess, die and face the consequences of ignorance.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

flakeloaf posted:

The tumblrification of the gun control argument. Literally triggered.

What is this dumb poo poo you just posted?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Effectronica posted:

The interesting thing is that if we take the interpretation that he shot in self-defense, then he would still have been better off without the gun, since he wouldn't have killed anyone, and just not having it in his hand would have greatly increased the chance that everyone survives. But of course, this is unreasonable, as you should assume that everyone is itching for a chance to kill you. That is, there was nothing wrong with what he did because paranoia is more reasonable than not being paranoid.

Personal safety is paramount, killing a few people here and there is the risk we take for peace of mind. Lives aren't more important than the feeling of safety.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Like knocking on the door of a house for help after a car crash or checking out the shed at the house you just bought. All things that are good ideas not to do because they can be misinterpreted as something worth killing over apparently.
Are you referring to the case where the drunk driver knocked on the door hours after fleeing help at the scene of the crash? Guy was stupid and jumpy and I have no problem with him being convicted once it was clear he had fired through a door.

I'm not sure what the shed case is referring to.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

So if I'm understanding your argument correctly, if you don't want to be shot you need to be absolutely sure any abandoned building you seek shelter in is actually abandoned and not just a honeypot for gun wielding old men. Live and learn I guess, er... well I guess, die and face the consequences of ignorance.
You should be cautious when breaking and entering, yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Are you referring to the case where the drunk driver knocked on the door hours after fleeing help at the scene of the crash? Guy was stupid and jumpy and I have no problem with him being convicted once it was clear he had fired through a door.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/01/_confused_west_virginia_man_kills_new_african_american_neighbor.html

quote:

Rodney Bruce Black, 62, told authorities that he thought his victims were breaking into a building he owned. However, although the building is on land that once belonged to Black’s family, that was not the case anymore.

One of the victims, Garrick Hopkins, 60, and his wife had just purchased the property next door to Black and were planning to build a house within the next few weeks, Sheriff Tom McComas told the Daily News on Monday. Hopkins invited his brother, Carl, who was 61, to inspect the property with him Saturday afternoon.

Black saw the two men looking into a shed and, allegedly without warning or calling the police, took his rifle and fired at the men. They died at the site. Both men leave behind their wives and children.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

http://wvrecord.com/news/267724-wrongful-death-suit-filed-against-cabell-man-who-shot-killed-new-neighbor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Radbot posted:

What is this dumb poo poo you just posted?

Effectronica posted:

Going outside of the internet, you never hear this kind of reasoning in person, so what seems to be the case is that you have this shrinking minority of people who are primarily focused on paranoia and see guns as a way to stave off their paranoid fantasies, and they dominate the conversation.

Are you a stranger to this phenomenon, Radbot?

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

And why exactly are you citing these cases? One was found to be unreasonable (hell the shooter claimed to have fired by accident) the other is going to trial. Neither seem to have made credible claims they feared for their lives. What relevance does that have to this case- they didn't misinterpret threatening actions, they just apparently shot people.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Interesting those people are either convicted of, or currently charged with, murder.

Its because its not a directly analogous situation.

When arguing over whether the system is broken because "x" is allowed, pointing out that "y" shouldn't be legal (when it isn't) doesn't really bear much of a relevance .

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

And why exactly are you citing these cases? One was found to be unreasonable (hell the shooter claimed to have fired by accident) the other is going to trial. Neither seem to have made credible claims they feared for their lives. What relevance does that have to this case- they didn't misinterpret threatening actions, they just apparently shot people.

When you shoot people because you are recklessly exercising your property rights, sometimes you kill honest people instead of degenerate meth-heads.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Effectronica posted:

Going outside of the internet, you never hear this kind of reasoning in person, so what seems to be the case is that you have this shrinking minority of people who are primarily focused on paranoia and see guns as a way to stave off their paranoid fantasies, and they dominate the conversation.

I have never been to a gun show where I have not overheard these sort of paranoid, usually racially-tinged, conversations. It's sort of a requirement, along with people selling overpriced trailmix and at least one guy selling copies of the Turner Diaries who is oddly preoccupied with the numbers 14 and 88.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

The Mattybee posted:

Sorry, I meant in this thread, which is why my follow up question was "What is there to discuss about a dude that got away with murder?" Why didn't you answer that question?

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Devor posted:

When you shoot people because you are recklessly exercising your property rights, sometimes you kill honest people instead of degenerate meth-heads.
"Recklessly exercising your property rights" aparently covers a lot of ground. Including, apparently, rights one no longer has.

Instead of drawing such a strained comparison why not compare the actual facts? Am I somehow compelled to defend the mistaken sniper because I think someone should be able to enter property they actually own without it being interpreted as an aggressive act?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Waco Panty Raid posted:

"Recklessly exercising your property rights" aparently covers a lot of ground. Including, apparently, rights one no longer has.

Instead of drawing such a strained comparison why not compare the actual facts? Am I somehow compelled to defend the mistaken sniper because I think someone should be able to enter property they actually own without it being interpreted as an aggressive act?

Ah, yes, someone is startled when you barge into the room they're renting from you, and they grope for their glasses, and you shoot them. This is justified because they might have been reaching for a gun, and kept it carefully hidden from the trio of security cameras.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

The West Virginia killer was protecting perceived property rights by shooting people going into what he thought was his shed.

The Nevada killer was protecting perceived property rights by confronting squatters in his vacant duplex.

Recklessness as a legal term seems extremely appropriate in reference to the Nevada killer.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recklessness_%28law%29

quote:

Recklessness usually arises when an accused is actually aware of the potentially adverse consequences to the planned actions, but has gone ahead anyway, exposing a particular individual or unknown victim to the risk of suffering the foreseen harm but not actually desiring that the victim be hurt. The accused is a social danger because they gamble with the safety of others, and the fact they might have acted to try to avoid the injury from occurring is relevant only to mitigate the sentence.

In both cases, the killers were reckless, and were acting to protect property rights.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

You should be cautious when breaking and entering, yes.

So you think it's reasonable to expect to be killed for breaking and entering a building you assumed was abandoned. What if your child went exploring and found and abandoned building, when they're shot for entering an abandoned property illegally you'll just tell your wife "that's the consequence of ignorance"? Is that what a reasonable person will think when that happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

ElCondemn posted:

So you think it's reasonable to expect to be killed for breaking and entering a building you assumed was abandoned.
So this seems like a fact thing rather than an opinion thing. Breaking and entering a building you assumed was abandoned definitely has some risk of being killed, I'm not sure how that risk compares to other things like driving or such, but regardless of that "You should be cautious when breaking and entering, yes." seems like good advice. What's the alternative? "Be incautious when breaking and entering"?

• Locked thread