Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
My fervent dream is that someone makes a FPS based on Operation Downfall. There have been a number of decent works of fiction about it, and I think a really good game could come out of it. It would be pretty dark, but they made Spec Ops: The Line; so it's plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I can't expect that was the idea. Japan was going to have plenty of kamikazes available, and minesweepers are defenseless. So if the idea is 'We'll just sweep this invasion harbor before we sail our invasion fleet on into it," either you leave your minesweepers exposed or you bring your anti-air coverage into the harbor alongside them, in which case the latter are exposed to the mines the sweepers are there to remove.

Of course it was the idea. You invade empty beaches, that aren't mined, and capture the ports later. If you're trying to mount an amphibious operation against a city, you've hosed up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mycroft Holmes posted:

My fervent dream is that someone makes a FPS based on Operation Downfall. There have been a number of decent works of fiction about it, and I think a really good game could come out of it. It would be pretty dark, but they made Spec Ops: The Line; so it's plausible.

I'm assuming you mean from the US perspective?

Good news is they could just steal the weapon degradation mechanic from Far Cry 2 with regards to Japanese small arms.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm assuming you mean from the US perspective?

Good news is they could just steal the weapon degradation mechanic from Far Cry 2 with regards to Japanese small arms.

Yeah. My perfect game would include a scene where you play a member of the Red Ball Express whose convoy is attacked. I want some minority representation in order to commemorate their contribution to the war effort.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Yeah. My perfect game would include a scene where you play a member of the Red Ball Express whose convoy is attacked. I want some minority representation in order to commemorate their contribution to the war effort.

I'm still waiting on a game from the Canadian perspective that isn't a lovely CoD game built by Activision's B-team.

Really, the bigger shame is that WW2 FPS' have become played out because all they ever really do is tell an American, British, or Soviet perspective. And more often than not its a bastardized version.

Fake edit: Not to say those perspectives are bad, just that it's been done so often that it all blends together poorly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

dublish posted:

Of course it was the idea. You invade empty beaches, that aren't mined, and capture the ports later. If you're trying to mount an amphibious operation against a city, you've hosed up.

The US Allies had also gotten pretty good at unloading massive amounts of equipment and supplies directly onto a beach. Basically, building a break water and docks and etc... in a very short time anywhere they needed.

Eventually, to support something the size of an invasion of Japan you need to get some major ports and rail lines going but the initial stages would all be done from the beach.

For D-Day, for example, the logistics groups were able to unload more material over the beaches than the British ports could supply (the ports had more obligations than just D-Day Support though).

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/NovDec03/Logistics_of_Invasion.htm posted:

Docking facilities were critical to the quick discharge of supplies and equipment in France. Mulberries were used to receive the tons of supplies and equipment needed to keep the invasion force moving forward. When the quantity of supplies coming in exceeded the number of Mulberries available, the remaining supplies were offloaded using logistics over-the-shore operations.

As the supply operation matured, 56,200 tons of supplies, 20,000 vehicles, and 180,000 troops were discharged each day at Omaha and Utah beaches. That was slightly less than half of the supplies, nearly two-thirds of the vehicles, and all of the troops that had been projected for offload each day. Performance on the American beaches improved rapidly as a more favorable tactical situation developed and, by 11 June 1944, all of the area up to the Aure River was under V Corps control. Until the securing of fixed port facilities at Cherbourg, Le Havre, Rouen, and Antwerp, Belgium, resupply and staging operations consisted entirely of Mulberries and logistics over-the-shore operations.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 2, 2015

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Inchon

:colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Considering how they planned to clear the invasion beaches, I think they already made that FPS.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Did Allies have scuba divers chart the potential beaches in Japan like they did in Normandy?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Any goons attending the 200th anniversary reinactment of Waterloo? or taking part in it?

If so, so jealous in advance!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Did Allies have scuba divers chart the potential beaches in Japan like they did in Normandy?

I think the group that did this evolved into the modern day SEAL.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baloogan posted:

I think the group that did this evolved into the modern day SEAL.

Not directly. They became the frogmen of Korea and Vietnam, which then became the SEALs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Not an FPS, but Ring of Red was a PS2 game set in an ~*alternate history*~ where Operation Downfall took place, and then the Korean War was fought in Japan, with giant robots. :japan: I'm pretty sure it was Konami's attempt to butt into Squinex's Front Mission series.
No tank destroyers, but at least they had infantry supporting armored vehicles. :colbert: Also your foreign military advisors are Max and Ilsa. :hitler:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

I may well have to make an exception to my "Generals are boring" policy for Sir Ian Hamilton, whose limitless capacity for doublethink I find truly incredible. Once again he's spent a large amount of time bemoaning how impossible it is to do anything to his diary. And once again the many excellent reasons at Gallipoli just to sit tight for a while that he's outlined so painstakingly have been completely discarded. General Hunter-Weston is going to be allowed to try to attack Krithia again. Sigh. Elsewhere, there's martial law in Sri Lanka, General d'Urbal attempts to remove an inconvenient village from the map, and just guess what Louis Barthas is doing today. (Hint; it starts with "c" and ends with "omplaining".)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Splode posted:

Are there any good realistic tank videogames? Or has nobody done it because the reality is tank warfare is boring and poo poo?

War Thunder is pretty good for an arcadey tank game. Sure, the requirements for killing tanks are basically "kill basically all the crew but the last person in a tank, blow up the ammo or blow up the fuel tanks/engine" but at least you get a cool PIP replay of your shots (failing) to penetrate and the damage they do as they shrapnel inside your target.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eej posted:

War Thunder is pretty good for an arcadey tank game. Sure, the requirements for killing tanks are basically "kill basically all the crew but the last person in a tank, blow up the ammo or blow up the fuel tanks/engine" but at least you get a cool PIP replay of your shots (failing) to penetrate and the damage they do as they shrapnel inside your target.

It's mechanically reasonably accurate (and has some totally bizarre things like big ol' radiators for air-cooled engines), but it's tanks fighting with no AT guns, infantry or anything but planes in sight. There are very few games that are accurate in situation and mechanics short of outright sims.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Advanced Squad Leader :unsmigghh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Advanced Squad Leader :unsmigghh:

Maybe the roguelike based on it, Armoured Commander?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
No one ever heard of Steel Beasts here?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I've been playing heroes and generals lately which is kinda like RO except with a pay to unlock weapons and what not system. Anyhow $10 will unlock you a jeep and sticky bombs at which point you are an absolute terror to enemy tankers as they and the infantry players never work with each other :getin:.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So it's like an MMO BF1942? Complete with Jihad Jeeping?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To me it feels like WW2OL Light with the moments where your just stumbling around for minutes looking for the fighting though.

Not a fan. Might give it one more shot when Brit/Commonwealth faction is added. Grinding to get stuff if you don't want to play is a fort in the eye bad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yeah it's not a very good game but its so easy to get the tankers to rage quit it's almost worth it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
RO was my favourite game for a very, very long time. Sad that RO2 is poo poo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Sadly, the departure of Winston Churchill has seen the Admiralty adopt a rather more sane plan for Konigsberg than "SET THE ENTIRE DAMNED RIVER ON FIRE". A Buddhist priest in Sri Lanka falls down one set of stairs too many while being arrested, Louis Barthas continues gathering materials for his comprehensive tour guide "Shitholes of Northern France", the BEF orders infantry battalions to form grenadier bomber units, the Army Council decides that the Stokes mortar is the wrong colour for use at the front, and there's Yet Another Rebellion in the British Empire, this time in Nigeria. Gee, I guess they just don't appreciate how lucky they are to be ruled by such a steadfast purveyor of liberal democracy!

(Meanwhile, the newspaper is flogging "Untrimmed Hats", which I find inordinately amusing.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Sadly, the departure of Winston Churchill has seen the Admiralty adopt a rather more sane plan for Konigsberg than "SET THE ENTIRE DAMNED RIVER ON FIRE". A Buddhist priest in Sri Lanka falls down one set of stairs too many while being arrested, Louis Barthas continues gathering materials for his comprehensive tour guide "Shitholes of Northern France", the BEF orders infantry battalions to form grenadier bomber units, the Army Council decides that the Stokes mortar is the wrong colour for use at the front, and there's Yet Another Rebellion in the British Empire, this time in Nigeria. Gee, I guess they just don't appreciate how lucky they are to be ruled by such a steadfast purveyor of liberal democracy!

(Meanwhile, the newspaper is flogging "Untrimmed Hats", which I find inordinately amusing.)

Is the unrest in the Empire in this period unusual, or is it just the standard poo poo except the British are short-handed?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Uh, and British. :colbert:
We did have aircraft carriers too you know ;)

To be fair. Our fleet would have been a drop in the ocean compared to the ludicrous USN strength

Edit: Hmmmh. Actually bigger than I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet
750 planes is a significant force.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 3, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i quite like Louis Barthas

he's refusing to dehumanise himself, retreating into a resolute, laconic grumpiness which i think is the only appropriate attitude for a private at war

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Deptfordx posted:

To be fair. Our fleet would have been a drop in the ocean compared to the ludicrous USN strength

Edit: Hmmmh. Actually bigger than I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

This might be a good time for someone to tell me if Seafires were god or not.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Disinterested posted:

This might be a good time for someone to tell me if Seafires were god or not.

Our lord and Seafire.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

mlmp08 posted:

Our lord and Seafire.

First google result for god seafire

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Deptfordx posted:

Reading this and came across:

quote:

The USN liaison officer on Indefatigable commented: "When a kamikaze hits a US carrier it means 6 months of repair at Pearl [Harbor]. When a kamikaze hits a Limey carrier it's just a case of 'Sweepers, man your brooms.'”

:D

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

First google result for god seafire

this is very literal

Early Seafires were basically Spitfires with tailhooks, which meant they were real hot rods but were totally ill adapted for carrier operations (same with the Bf-109T). Narrow landing gear, weaker airframe, lots of torque, limited range, no air-ground ordnance, etc. Later variants got beefed up landing gear and airframes which helped but they were never really good carrier planes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Actually the kamikaze hits permanently warped the decks and led to the carriers being scrapped after the war, but oh well I guess

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Murgos posted:

The US Allies had also gotten pretty good at unloading massive amounts of equipment and supplies directly onto a beach. Basically, building a break water and docks and etc... in a very short time anywhere they needed.

Eventually, to support something the size of an invasion of Japan you need to get some major ports and rail lines going but the initial stages would all be done from the beach.

For D-Day, for example, the logistics groups were able to unload more material over the beaches than the British ports could supply (the ports had more obligations than just D-Day Support though).

What were all those troops doing? I always get the impression only 100k are doing anything at any time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Actually the kamikaze hits permanently warped the decks and led to the carriers being scrapped after the war, but oh well I guess

Well yeah but that's after the war which is a good time for your ships to become unseaworthy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Well yeah but that's after the war which is a good time for your ships to become unseaworthy.

So I take it a majority of the surplus from the 2nd World War was scrapped if it was obsolete or beyond minor repair? I am curious now what determined was good enough to sell after the war and what wasn't really needed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The biggest difference was deck parks. You park a ton of flammable planes on top and hits can really wreck your day. On the other hand the British carrier wings shot down a very disproportionately low number of planes per hull and took nearly as many kamikaze hits as US carriers, and that's not a per ship figure.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Any goons attending the 200th anniversary reinactment of Waterloo? or taking part in it?

If so, so jealous in advance!

I'm not, but you reminded me I was sitting on some pictures from our local Waterloo-monument.

From the German city of Hannover:

For the Victors of Waterloo
The Thankful Fatherland

The fallen of the Royal Hanoverian troops at Waterloo, starting with the Regiment Osnabrück, commanded by the Duke of York.

Continuation: The fallen of the Regiment Göttingen and the 2nd Oder (Osterode) and 3rd Oder (Münden) Landwehr battailons.

From another side: More dead people

Royal German Legion, artillery, MP and more Landwehr militia. Also some cavalry from the Duke of Cumberland.

More dead from the Royal German Legion.

The monument from below. Here you can read the inscriptions the best, but can't actually see the statue on top because the loving column is so incredibly high.

First try at getting the statue. Still too close!

Finally, from the very end of the green, I get the statue on the frame: Some angel holding a laurel wreath. (At least I hope that's what it is, my zoom function couldn't get close enough to really tell.)

You can actually go up the ~46 meters of the monument at some times of the year, but most of the time the ascent is closed for the public.

Edit:

Man, if you add all the Hanoverian troops to the Prussian soldiers also at Waterloo, the battle was like 2/3rds a German victory. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is a drat impressive monument. It always amused me that the Duke Of Wellington got really sulky about it ruining his perfect battlefield.

• Locked thread