Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How many times can I vote 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

sure it does, but it's not vegan

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Nothing is vegan; all commercially available products are a result of animal (human) exploitation and fossil fuels, which are also an animal product.

So

I think you'll find our only viable option is breathairianism.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
breathe my farts

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mithranderp posted:

I think you'll find our only viable option is breathairianism.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey know we have decided exactly how lovely everyone is, how about an actual incredibly lovely:

"Indigenous youth imprisonment rate is highest in two decades, Amnesty says - The Guardian posted:

Australia needs to take drastic action to reverse the over-representation of Indigenous young people in juvenile detention centres or face losing another generation of first peoples to failed government policies, according to a landmark Amnesty International report.

The report, Brighter Tomorrow: Keeping Kids in the Community and out of Detention in Australia, says that rates of Indigenous youth imprisonment are the highest they have been since the royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody handed down its report in 1991.

The statistics paint a bleak picture. In 2013-14, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children were 26 times more likely to be imprisoned than non-Indigenous children.

On any given night there were 430 Indigenous children in detention in Australia, at a cost of $1,200 each. The annual cost of keeping a child in detention is $440,000 which, the report points out, is enough to put an Indigenous young person through an entire undergraduate medical degree.

According to 2012-2013 figures, one in every 28 Indigenous boys aged 10 to 17 had spent time in detention, compared to one in 544 for non-Indigenous boys. Indigenous representation among girls in detention was even higher – one in 113 Indigenous girls aged 10 to 17 had spent time in detention, compared to one in 2,439 non-Indigenous girls.

The worst offending state was Western Australia, where Indigenous kids were 53 times more likely to be in detention than non-Indigenous kids – twice the national average rate

...The report makes 16 recommendations, starting with raising the age of criminal responsibility from 10 years old to the international standard of 12 years old. Indigenous children make up 60% of all children under 12 detained in Australia.

Other recommendations include advising the federal government to step in and overturn “tough on crime” laws in Western Australia and Queensland. Both states were criticised by the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child in 2012 for laws that contravene the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which Australia signed in 1990.

In Queensland, the offending law allows the court to treat 17-year-olds like adults. Last year the Newman government passed another law requiring that kids who turn 17 in detention with more than six months left on their sentence be transferred to an adult prison.

In Western Australia, a recent decision to toughen “three-strike” mandatory sentencing laws to allow all three strikes to be awarded concurrently could see minors jailed for three months on their first court appearance.

The report also recommends including justice and victim of violence targets in the national Closing the Gap strategy, recognising foetal alcohol spectrum disorders as a disability before the courts, and making a national commitment to a justice reinvestment approach to find community-based solutions to youth crime....

So everything in Australia poo poo but somethings are more poo poo than others (western Australia looking in your direction here)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Still has more views than the Democrats youtube channel.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Still has more views than the Democrats youtube channel.

Ouch.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
People I know are currently busy figuring what has being going on at the Cambodian border.

It looks really bad, it appears that the people smugglers have killed hundreds of refugees and buried them in mass graves, it is really loving bad. Women and children bad. At what point is someone going to point out that closing the borders to refugees has lead to the people taking the money digging pits in the jungle and offing them?

This is actually happening right now.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Spacman posted:

People I know are currently busy figuring what has being going on at the Cambodian border.

It looks really bad, it appears that the people smugglers have killed hundreds of refugees and buried them in mass graves, it is really loving bad. Women and children bad. At what point is someone going to point out that closing the borders to refugees has lead to the people taking the money digging pits in the jungle and offing them?

This is actually happening right now.

What the gently caress. Is this being covered anywhere?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can only find news on the graves they found in Malaysia back on the 25th May and the Thailand ones they found earlier. Turns out there are way more mass graves being found than I knew anything about.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Jonah sliding back into the thread on the back of Lid's weekly "this thread is poo poo you're all wankers" cry, no1ce

idgi, was I run out before that?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Antlions posted:

you can have my meat pies over my burnt loving corpse

But I prefer my meat rare.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jonah will stand up for the rights of animals everywhere, but then thinks its edgy and cool to make fun of nerds as well as people diagnosed with a mental disorder.

Splode posted:

You know what your problem is, Jonah? You suck

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Jonah will stand up for the rights of animals everywhere, but then thinks its edgy and cool to make fun of nerds as well as people diagnosed with a mental disorder.
Yeah pretty much only I don't think it's edgy and cool to make fun of nerds, it's just correct

e: you and Splode make a perfect team

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Looks like the Bad Thread™ needs a dose of Eat The Weeds™

Time for some truth bombs for you muppets.

Sure, eat meat, just don't buy meat. Catch your own. If you can't catch, kill, clean and then cook your own meat for what ever reason (if it is you just don't have skills then get skills, chicks dig skills1 and being able to provide for a family is very desirable because of :biotruths:).

Not everyone is capable of getting skills though so don't feel too bad if you're in this boat. Fortunately for you we live in a time where most people are selfish wastes of our precious resources and drive everywhere. Animals, having evolved not to ever have cars as a predator until very recently, have yet to evolve an understanding of just how hard they can smack them down. You, in your desire to turn from a muppet into a real live person, can use this to your advantage.

Roadkill is a fantastic source of fresh meat (and not so fresh meat but we'll go into that in a second). Seeing as you are to precious to give up your meat, this abundant supply will at least allow you to stop fuelling the destructive farming industry / guarantee that your meat is not halal depending on which type of tool you are.

Checking if the meat is good is something that will take a bit of practice. First up look at the thing, is it obviously in a state of decomposition? Don't eat it. Maybe you can skin it and cure the hide to make some possum suede shoes or use the skin of a bigger animal to camouflage yourself to get closer to fresh, live, meat though so it isn't totally wasted.

Now you've used your eyes to see that it isn't in too bad a state it's time to check for freshness. Your brain that you're using now you're out of the destructive meat industry will let you know that finding meat at the end of a hot summers day is a bad idea but something found in the early morning or during the colder months may be worth checking out.

Get up closer to the meat source and smell, if it has a rotten smell then you're back to possum suede shoe territory. If not then it's time to do what people in the know call "poke it's belly". You want to get in there and give the belly a nice firm poke. Use your hands for this, a stick or something isn't going to give you the tactile feedback required. Feel around the stomach for bloating, it shouldn't feel too firm. When animals die, the gut in their bellies does not so it goes on producing waste that doesn't get expelled so the belly will start filling up with gas making it firmer.

You will get a feel for this after a while but it takes a bit of practice. This comes back to the whole chicks dig skills thing, once you've got this down you have another skill for the resume. Please also don't be put off doing this ladies as guys also dig skills and some chicks dig chicks so it really is a win for everyone.

Now you have your meat, sourced locally and without the need for a farmer, it's time to prepare it. Take your trusty (note that says trusty, not rusty, please look after your knife) and clean the animal. Things you don't want to eat, such as guts etc, can be used for berley for a later fishing expedition.

Once cleaned prepare in your favourite fashion. Maybe a possum soup, kangaroo curry, fox flambé. The choices are endless.

1 <author withheld> (2015) Do chicks really dig skills?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I thought it was a pretty interesting and reasonable discussion but all the shitposting and rage from people who disagree has been pretty funny. Pretty poo poo lack of self awareness even by goon standards. How did any of the eat less meat posts offend so many of you? I don't think anyone said anyone else is inherently a bad person for eating meat just that this country needs to have a serious discussion on how unsustainable that is.

This thread continually mocks what it thinks is the bogan majority of Australia yet one discussion on the merits of reducing meat consumption reveals a lot of posters here to be exactly as narrow minded as those they continually poo poo on.

QM summed it all up better than I ever could have and Sulla may have been facetious but he's making funny posts which is a nice change from the hilarious piss chugging, fart huffing echo chamber this thread usually is. This is why I brought up the subject because this thread is full of apparently far left greens yet look at the vitriol over such a tame discussion on the sustainability of the meat industry.

I grew up on a farm and went to tafe and now work in an industry with more exploitation than any other in this country. Getting called a bourgeois vegan is a bit much, if I had a proper education and the opportunities my brain didn't allow for then my posts wouldn't be so loving awful! Anyway it's been beaten to death and now I'm sure all of you will eat more meat than before after these traumatic last few pages. I'm going to strain and drink my own nut milk.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Yeah pretty much only I don't think it's edgy and cool to make fun of nerds, it's just correct

e: you and Splode make a perfect team

Only, the other poster who backed you up in this has hosed off so you're left all alone, posting on the Internet, made by nerds using equipment that was also devised by nerds, about how much you hate them.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

See, this sounds sufficient to me. Forcing people is just going over the top, and in a move to end terrorism goes in the opposite direction - it just make us seem more like facists.

It's nowhere near enough. English is a clunky, ephemeral language and Australians speak a particularly stupid dialect of it. Basic interpersonal communication takes about four years to learn. Approaching twelve for academic English. More if the learner is illiterate in their first language, less if they're highly literate.

We give newly arrived school-age kids 12 months* before pushing them into mainstream schools where they may or may not get language support because LOCAL SCHOOLS LOCAL CHOICES.

I'm not bitter, I'm just an ESL teacher. Also that's a lot of posts my phone didn't load until after I posted this.

*Offer not redeemable outside Sydney because lol what services

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 2, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
For those of you unwilling to prepare your own meat you can also follow in the footsteps of Anarcharacoon

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Only, the other poster who backed you up in this has hosed off so you're left all alone, posting on the Internet, made by nerds using equipment that was also devised by nerds, about how much you hate them.

On the other hand

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Here we see a wireframe of a FDotM cartoon in an alternate universe where he's anti-vax.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I was hoping for a "Jesus moment" cartoon :(

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
I made it.
I made it to end of the auspol thread while I took a poo. And the poo was literally more enjoyable than the thread.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-opposition-announces-roads-and-bus-expansion-plan-if-elected-20150531-ghcniy.html
ACT Liberals confirming their lack of imagination.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1OrcMPMb0

The puppies represent Labor or something

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't been following ACT politics recently, have things changed so that the ACT Libs have any chance at all?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Graic Gabtar posted:

This thread is hurting my head.

All I know is I want a 600g rib-eye for dinner Friday night with a couple of bottles of red and try to forget the last 11 1/2 pages.
If it's red I'd see a doctor.

Welp I'm out again guys probably for good.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Trapezium Dave posted:

I haven't been following ACT politics recently, have things changed so that the ACT Libs have any chance at all?

It's hard to tell really. They certainly don't have any good ideas or name recognition, but that's not to say they don't have a chance. Lots of idiots are against the light rail for seemingly incoherent reasons.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartoon posted:

Going off the grid?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Going off the grid?

:downsrim:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Mass graves eh? That took my mood down a few notches wow.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I enjoy reading news articles people post.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Is it possible that the current rounds of weird in-fighting are the result of an unpalatable but effectively inert federal government?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Actually on that note, I'd like to conduct an informal Auspoll.

I have switched off from studiously following politics over the last few months. Who else here has done the same?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

If it's red I'd see a doctor.

I understand, but it still makes me sad.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Les Affaires posted:

I have switched off from studiously following politics over the last few months. Who else here has done the same?

Not I but can imagine now that uni has started up this will change.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Les Affaires posted:

Switched off from what? There is barely anything happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

norp posted:

Switched off from what? There is barely anything happening

I guess that's half the point. Hardly anything happening, and the things that are happening are... well, crap.

In other news, I just had an epiphany. If Sydney and Melbourne's housing affordability is in crisis, does this mean [young] people who can't afford to buy or rent there will end up moving to other cities or regions where they can? This might have an interesting, if disturbing effect on labour supply in those markets, in part contributing to the aging of the local workforce and again increased costs of labour.

• Locked thread