Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bown posted:

Ok fine I'll finish world 3 of single player to unlock the Aerospray drat

But the game already gives U the best gun when U start it up??? :confused:

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Infinitum posted:

Dear Nintendo.

When you change the maps, you don't need to kick the people in a lobby out to announce it. Especially when we get it up to 8 goons.
Just change the maps. It'll be a nice surprise on the next round.

Don't kick us out. Every. Single. Time.

Love
:argh:

:byodame: STAY FREEEESSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!! :byodame:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

zolthorg posted:

Does anyone think ranked is any good right now? The splat zone maps having basically one splat zone with only random teams right now basically leads to flipping a coin and then one team goes 100 to 0 without losing control.

Its like, hilariously the explicit problem from every other point capturing FPS type game that Splatoon's Turf War implicitly solves and creates a better game from.

I need points to stay fresh, so I lost interest when there were no points at our first loss. It looks like the thing to play at 20 when you have all the fun stuff unlocked.

Bown posted:

Ok fine I'll finish world 3 of single player to unlock the Aerospray drat

Hey! That awesome final boss isn't going to beat itself.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

:byodame: STAY FREEEESSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!! :byodame:

I'll have you mate, and it'll look like a bloody accident.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Is Port Mackerel permanently in the rotation for 24 hours or something :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So clearly mission 20 Bluefin Depot is another upcoming map, and that was pretty fun.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Okay I'm sure this question has been asked, and answered, over a hundred times already but I'm going to be the jerk who asks again;

This game is obviously great for couch gaming with friends, but how much does it have to offer the single player gamer? I'm an old fart and none of my friends are into Nintendo gaming, so I'm stuck playing alone or online with friends on rare occasions. However, games like Mario Kart and Smash had enough single player stuff to go for (as well as a fun competitive online scene) to keep me interested long after the single player campaigns/achievements are over anyway. Is Splatoon like that?

Also if I loving hate FPS games, will Splatoon appeal to me? Although one big personal problem with most FPSes was the modern gritty brown and gray Shoot-The-Browns crap most of them have going on, controls wise, they just never appealed to me either.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It sucks going from B to C in a consistent flow of loses in ranked.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Cuckoo posted:

Okay I'm sure this question has been asked, and answered, over a hundred times already but I'm going to be the jerk who asks again;

This game is obviously great for couch gaming with friends, but how much does it have to offer the single player gamer? I'm an old fart and none of my friends are into Nintendo gaming, so I'm stuck playing alone or online with friends on rare occasions. However, games like Mario Kart and Smash had enough single player stuff to go for (as well as a fun competitive online scene) to keep me interested long after the single player campaigns/achievements are over anyway. Is Splatoon like that?

Also if I loving hate FPS games, will Splatoon appeal to me? Although one big personal problem with most FPSes was the modern gritty brown and gray Shoot-The-Browns crap most of them have going on, controls wise, they just never appealed to me either.

It's got a decent batch of single player stages that are interesting to play through, with a great final boss. However, it's pretty short (maybe a few hours if you get all the pages), and has little to no replay value, even with Amiibo. I would be disappointed if I bought just the single player for $60. I can't recommend it.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
I have no friends who own a wiiu and am really terrible at shooters, but I'm good at splatoon and have fun playing with goons from the spreadsheet.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
It's not really a couch gaming with friends game, though. There's only one local multiplayer mode and it's 1 on 1. You'll be playing by yourself online with Japanese people and probably goons and that's really fun.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

noirstronaut posted:

It sucks going from B to C in a consistent flow of loses in ranked.

My goal is to get to A rank, then never play it again. As long as it does not degrade with time, it'll be perfect :v:.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It just sucks to lose because everyone is disjointed. If shooters would take high ground and leave rollers to police the area and swat people away, it'd be easy winning. Everyone is just kinda like "gently caress it" and I think they might be for awhile since there's no way to get people to do things.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah, it'd be nice to have more communication options. There's already a map on the pad, let me hold a button and tap a rally point.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have more communication options. There's already a map on the pad, let me hold a button and tap a rally point.

Also, it'd be nice to hold another button and say "hey, I spotted a [someone holding down lots of ground, a charger most likely]. This is a priority target."

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Well, there's gotta be something about the game that appeals to you. Is there anything that seems interesting? At the very least, if you were the type of kid who colored every square inch of every page of your coloring book, then grab a roller and join the neon party!

One of the things about FPSes I hate the most is that I can't aim with any sort of precision. The good news with this game is that aiming at other players is secondary to aiming at basically everything else in the game, so I can flail about with my controller and miss every opponent who crosses my path and STILL do amazingly well during turf wars because I can move quickly and cover a lot of the floor.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

zolthorg posted:

Does anyone think ranked is any good right now? The splat zone maps having basically one splat zone with only random teams right now basically leads to flipping a coin and then one team goes 100 to 0 without losing control.

Its like, hilariously the explicit problem from every other point capturing FPS type game that Splatoon's Turf War implicitly solves and creates a better game from.

I have just decided to ignore it until there are some improvements and balances made. Out of around 25-30 ranked matches I have played, I have probably won 4 of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cuckoo posted:

Actually you're wrong, this isn't the best couch gaming game at all. The only local multiplayer at all is a stripped down 1-vs-1.

This game is instead a good single player game. Sorry you got the wrong impression, but local splitscreen co-op is actually kinda dead now on consoles.

There's a single player campaign kinda like Mario Galaxy or Mario Sunshine, and there's an online competitive 4v4 mode. You can play with random people or goons, but it doesn't matter all that much because there's no voice chat. This has far more single player stuff than Smash or Mario Kart, but again can't be played local multiplayer other than 1-v-1 unlike Smash or Mario Kart. Its not the game you think it is at all.

Even then though the single player isn't super long and there's not a ton of multiplayer maps right now, but they are slowly rolling out new content.

Maybe it'll appeal? that's hard to say. It is definitely still a competitive third person shooter, but its not an FPS and its not brown-on-grey. (Obviously, its kinda the opposite of that)

Do you like Mario Galaxy? Do you like Jet Set Radio? Did you ever play with Super Soakers as a kid?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I like when chargers don't think a roller can go up a wall and splat them when doing ranked on Underpass. Its ends when them splatting or a draw ( because they took a shot at the same time I got up there.)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmct2OAzE0g

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
the worst part about ranked is that all the decent people are playing that mode and only the terrible people are left in turf war

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

UgliestBread
Feb 22, 2014
I reached A- in ranked after around 6 hours and holy cannoli the matches are so drat frustrating it's crazy. Every player seems to just be amazing at aiming so missing a single shot seems to be instant death, with the added bonus of the zone being completely lost if you dare stop paying attention for 5 seconds. It's really surprising to see that people don't touch the aerospray or any of the close range guns, it's mostly dual squelchers & charge rifles at this point which can be super easy to underestimate, but I'm thinking about going with the Splattershot Jr and rockin that shield to try and close the distance without getting massacred in seconds.

Would have liked to play more but it really seems to struggle to find players, waiting 4 minutes or so to get a new match every time is a bit rubbish.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I did notice that turf war had a lot of under level 10s. Like, I was the only one above level 10. Turf war is fun, yes, but ranked battles are quick and intense. Speaking of which, I had a blast playing overpass with my .96 Gal gun. The sprinkler that comes with it helps to keep the zone occupied, while the echolocator keeps the teams eye open. drat that gun is good.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you like Mario Galaxy? Do you like Jet Set Radio? Did you ever play with Super Soakers as a kid?

No (I am a giant baby and couldn't handle SMG's constant 3D perspective changes), never tried, Yes

It's actually good to hear that it has more single player stuff than assumed, because stated before I have no couch gaming friends who want to play Nintendo instead of XBox stuff. Short is fine if the content is strong enough to justify it. Thanks for the info, I may just let the price drop and grab it used later on.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like the post, then go to https://miiverse.nintendo.net login and you should be able to see posts you've like and get the direct image.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/*YOUR NNID HERE*/empathies

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you like Jet Set Radio?

"Would you stop playing with that radio, Lord? I'm trying to get to squid!"

Edit: "Free love was too tame for squid!"

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

how do people do this. there has to be a trick right

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Are the colors different for ranked? I swear I haven't seen the dark blue shade before last night.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Lemming posted:

Are the colors different for ranked? I swear I haven't seen the dark blue shade before last night.

Ranked appears to have a cut colour combo, I logged off as it last night thinking it looked really good, and it reverted me to a different green when I rebooted the game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

Its weird, its like they're variations or something, slightly lighter and darker shades.

There's a slightly darker blue and there's a slightly lighter mint green. Dunno what else.

E: Somebody is claiming that one of the single player scrolls shows you that there are colors for ranked different than the normal ones?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ranked has more colours and combos, yes. There's vermilion (probably as close as they'll ever get to red, since red already flashes onscreen to indicate damage), pale blue, navy blue, pale green, seafoam green, and school bus yellow. I think the purple is a little more violet-ish, too?

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my favorite thing is following behind rollers with my own roller, covering up the path they just made and then splatting them as soon as they stop/run out of ink

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

sharrrk posted:

how do people do this. there has to be a trick right

Sometimes you see people make really detailed Miiverse drawings using dots and I think they're using Photoshop. Like here's the kind of thing I'm talking about :

You could use a filter, crop the image to the same resolution as the miiverse drawing thing and apply a grid the same size as the Miiverse one then it'd be pretty easy to copy. There's probably a better filter than this but I spent 10 seconds in Photoshop and got this:

Some people are probably just legit talented though

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 2, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

zolthorg posted:

no it's actually way better than turf war

fighting over the zone is not "flipping a coin" unless you're bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

my favorite thing is following behind rollers with my own roller, covering up the path they just made and then splatting them as soon as they stop/run out of ink

This is one of life's divine pleasures.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LethalGeek posted:

You do know they did this to keep things like a group of us from just running over 8yos constantly right?
Party matchmaking is coming down the line in August or so, though

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna gently caress up some pubbies real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The final boss with the Roller is ridiculously hard. :stare:

• Locked thread