Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I tried to reorder them from CT Racing but they never returned my email and I got voicemail every time I called for three days. Went with Sportbiketrackgear for $10 less and free shipping. Welp.

Just need front pads and a ramp then I'm good to go. All signed up. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4fmpQd2cUc

Giving a two up ride to someone at their first trackday on their Duke 690. This is an open day, no groups. Towards the end of the day.

R1 lady apologized by telling everyone how I came down on her and hit her.

Injuries not too bad. Bike handled it like a god drat champ.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Which org ran the track day?

Thill is a lovely track but man some of the loving people that show up there need to be beaten to a loving pulp. We were at a Keigwins day last year, some gently caress head didn't know the meaning of no close passes in C group and rammed into my wife. She stayed on, control riders found the guy, and that bitch rear end never bothered poking his head in and apologize.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

See if you can spot the issue...

"Dysturbed Ryders"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is just the same age old problem of "motorcycles are awesome but motorcyclists are terrible".

That trackday is fun because it's a little less tightly controlled, but that also comes with a bit more risk. Keigwins is probably one of the most strongly regulated, safety conscious (in the right way) organizations out there, and they still have idiots doing idiot things. I've seen dumbass behavior from everyone on track at one point or another (including myself), and what really counts is what the rider does afterwards, which is apologize for a bullshit pass.

It's extra terrible to try and stuff a pass through T7 when you're on an R1 and they're on a Duke 690, 2 up.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know they ran some open track days before but haven't dealt with them.

At least your passenger looked okay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Angryboot posted:

I know they ran some open track days before but haven't dealt with them.

At least your passenger looked okay.

Yeah - they're good folks overall, it's just the people around the fringes that go zero to Walmart pretty loving fast.

Passenger is ok, thankfully.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of people of Walmart on the fringes, I live about 45 minutes from T-Hill and have Fridays off this summer and was thinking about heading over to gawk or maybe do corner work. In my head it sounds like a good way to spend the day bullshitting about bieks.

Has anyone done corner work? Was it enjoyable? When I've been out for car stuff, it seemed like the corner workers got hooked up with rides during slow sessions. Do corner workers get hooked up with lunch or anything by the organizers, or are they in it solely for the pleasure of bossing around riders/drivers with their flags?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright, I ended up home earlier today and immediately passed out.

Spiff, I'm glad you and Amber seem to be alright (lol, how is the two day after pain?), it was nice to meet you. :) Z3n, thank you for inviting me along - definitely worth the drive and it was nice to finally put the face to the name. I'll be back next year. :) Tuono bro... gently caress, I can't remember your forum name... trailer up next time! It was nice to meet you, as well. :)

I was running the GoPro and I think I got a two up ride from our group and another two up bike coming together in turn two and one rider grabbing the rear end of the passenger of the other bike... hopefully you can see it. I'm too tired to unpack the truck now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 3, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spiffness posted:

Sometimes rash things happen to good people.

Maybe she was just acting out a fantasy.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

BlackMK4 posted:

Spiff, I'm glad you and Amber seem to be alright (lol, how is the two day after pain?), it was nice to meet you. :) Z3n, thank you for inviting me along - definitely worth the drive and it was nice to finally put the face to the name. I'll be back next year. :) Tuono bro... gently caress, I can't remember your forum name... trailer up next time! It was nice to meet you, as well. :)

I was running the GoPro and I think I got a two up ride from our group and another two up bike coming together in turn two and one rider grabbing the rear end of the passenger of the other bike... hopefully you can see it. I'm too tired to unpack the truck now.

Tuono Bro, checking in... BlackMk4, good to meet you! Great job roadtripping out here! Yeah, I'll be on the hunt for cheapish truck in the next few months... I don't want to do another 900 mile ride weekend with a trackday in the middle. <so tired>

Z3n, as always, thanks for the hospitality and the good times. I'll be there next year, for sure.

Spiffness, great meeting you too! Sorry you got punted. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Speaking of people of Walmart on the fringes, I live about 45 minutes from T-Hill and have Fridays off this summer and was thinking about heading over to gawk or maybe do corner work. In my head it sounds like a good way to spend the day bullshitting about bieks.

Has anyone done corner work? Was it enjoyable? When I've been out for car stuff, it seemed like the corner workers got hooked up with rides during slow sessions. Do corner workers get hooked up with lunch or anything by the organizers, or are they in it solely for the pleasure of bossing around riders/drivers with their flags?

Usually it's some perks and food - sometimes they pay. Unlikely to get rides on bikes, as track bikes are typically not 2 up rigs, but if you made it known, you'd probably be able to make it happen :)

BlackMK4 posted:

Glad you had a good time! Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Also wanna see that video! Haha.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
So I did my first track day (KTM 990 SMT) with Tony's Track days on a "non-sport bike" day and holy loving poo poo it was awesome. I learned more about riding on a track in an afternoon than I have in 5 years of riding on the road. Can not wait to go back for more.

Bonus: I passed a Street Triple, my last bike, under power down the straight. I don't know why, but that just felt good.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Pictures from my first track day. These were taken early in the day, when I was stiff as hell and just trying to work out what the hell was going on.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Nice man, welcome to the addiction! When's your next track day? :D

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Those are some nice pics. Track days are like crack. Condolences :)

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

xaarman posted:

Nice man, welcome to the addiction! When's your next track day? :D

August 25! So psyched.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm half considering selling off the 749, grabbing a set of clipons for the Tuono, and an buying extra set of wheels to transfer my slicks over. Tell me how stupid I am. :allears: This is just to free up a little bit of money.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Let track bikes be track bikes and street bikes be street bikes if you plan to do a lot of track riding. Moving poo poo over constantly sucks.

Tuonos are great bikes, till they blow up. Much like a 749!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiff speaks the truth. Also, you should track something that you're not comfortable just stepping off the back of if need be - if you've got a truck/track transport, you don't need/want to ride the Tuono on street except rarely, maybe, but otherwise, leave the track bikes on the track, and have the street bikes for the street.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 24, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You both make points that I've been through and forgot about. Damnit. The Duc is a beater... and completely pointless to street ride. I just hope it doesn't blow up. :allears: It's summer time here and not worth riding so I'm getting antsy. No trackdays until September.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Leave your flat, hellish landscape for greener pastures to the north my friend.

T-Hill, Laguna, ORP, The Ridge, Pacific Raceways, PIR, Miller (before it closes)...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm tentatively planning a move to Seattle in the 1-2yr range. 22 years in Arizona has been enough for me.

But yes, Miller is on my whiteboard for this year. :)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Seattle's full

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got to go to the COTA trackday last weekend. I've gotten a little more comfortable on my SV, but I don't think my body position is great, yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-7isuM9Kw

Later that day I lowsided coming out of turn 11 while trying to pass someone on a bigger bike that I kept getting stuck behind. I think it was a combination of getting on the throttle while I was still leaned over and possibly the body position thing again. Fortunately, the only thing that broke was the clutch lever, and I managed to find a replacement and ride in a few more sessions later that day. The bar-ends, T-Rex frame slider, and T-Rex swingarm spools saved my bike from a lot more damage and kept the damage to the paint on my plastics down to a minimum..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GjW_-4dPQ

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MetaJew posted:

I got to go to the COTA trackday last weekend. I've gotten a little more comfortable on my SV, but I don't think my body position is great, yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-7isuM9Kw

Later that day I lowsided coming out of turn 11 while trying to pass someone on a bigger bike that I kept getting stuck behind. I think it was a combination of getting on the throttle while I was still leaned over and possibly the body position thing again. Fortunately, the only thing that broke was the clutch lever, and I managed to find a replacement and ride in a few more sessions later that day. The bar-ends, T-Rex frame slider, and T-Rex swingarm spools saved my bike from a lot more damage and kept the damage to the paint on my plastics down to a minimum..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GjW_-4dPQ

Sounds like you scraped the pegs to me. Not sure what your body position is like, but given the turn and the speed I think your body probably needs to be leaned over a lot more. Were you just sitting on the seat and not moving over?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Barnsy posted:

Sounds like you scraped the pegs to me. Not sure what your body position is like, but given the turn and the speed I think your body probably needs to be leaned over a lot more. Were you just sitting on the seat and not moving over?

No, my body is over to the side, but I think I haven't been getting my head all the way over or down low enough. I'm not sure since there isn't any footage from someone behind me and no stills. The photography guy was stationed at that turn the next session. :argh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BP is like the last thing to make you crash unless you're way off.

Quite frankly, that's a low speed, tight corner that you were off line - and didn't know what the line was judging by the multiple inputs before even committing to a turnin. You probably went dead sailor while putting a bunch of input into the bike.

Don't focus on BP now. Focus on being smooth in picking a turn in point, committing to it without a ton of correction, and picking up the throttle smoothly while you decrease lean angle. The BP will come as you carry more corner speed and the bike is more stable.

Corner speed will come along with this... and learning how to pass since you're going to run up on 600/1000s coming into the corner under brakes or mid corner due to speed differentials. You're going to get stuck behind them then left for dead on the straights... repeat until you hot pit, grow balls as far as showing people wheels under braking, start playing with turning in from mid track, or start setting up passes so you can get the drive on them coming onto the straight.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 4, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

On my SV with stock pegs, I was scraping them before anything else. They also folded up so there was that too.

You have removed your curb feelers right? No reason for those to be on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Beat-the-heat schedule trackday this weekend. It's at WHP East - formerly known as Firebird - and the place I did my first trackday almost 8 years ago on a CBR600F4i.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
WHP went well. Rode the Tuono each session until the tires started pushing (~10 minutes if I was trying to keep them happy), then rode the Duc for the remainder. Duc had oil in the exhaust wrap from when I changed the oil last week, turned into a giant smoke cloud on my first lap. I was the rear end in a top hat that caused a session to be red flagged for the first time. :suicide:

I was trying to stay with the control rider that pops up at 1:30 but stepping the pace up a little didn't feel very good. By 2:22 the front end just pushed and I couldn't even make it to the inside of the corner (turn 10). Turn 1 just sucked for me because I trail brake into it and get on the throttle early normally. Wasn't even going to try that on the ContiSports.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5hnwh0TmQ

Anyway. Anyone have experience with Feel Like A Pro? http://feellikeapro.mycustomevent.com/
Doing the math it actually comes out cheaper to fly in to SFO (I spent $500 on gas alone for THill), rent a car for a day, drive to Laguna, ride all day, then fly home the same day. Really tempted to do this in early August.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
FLAP is convenient and Dave S (the owner) is a good dude.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

8/15 summit main with TPM. Babby's first track day. STOKED

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Awesome!

Not to jinx you or anything, but make sure you have a way to get 'er home if you layer dan.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Nice, let us know how it goes. I'm planning to do some track days once I get some finances worked out in the next 6 months, but I'm not sure if I want to do Summit or VIR. I like VIR more but I haven't been to Summit since they opened the Shenandoah course and it is a lot closer.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyway. Anyone have experience with Feel Like A Pro? http://feellikeapro.mycustomevent.com/
Doing the math it actually comes out cheaper to fly in to SFO (I spent $500 on gas alone for THill), rent a car for a day, drive to Laguna, ride all day, then fly home the same day. Really tempted to do this in early August.

I've been eyeing FLAP for a while now.... Laguna Seca is 10 mins from my parents house. Trying to make 1. days where I am visiting home 2. Laguna Seca are having a track day there 3. FLAP is attending all line up, hasn't happened yet :(

Anyways, if you do it, see if you can fly into San Jose. About an hour closer, still a major airport. You could try flying into Monterey, but that'll run you a couple hundred more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I start a new job on Monday (babbys first career job, no mo bartending/serving) so I should push it off until October but... If you pick a date then you should post in here. :) I didn't know Monterey had an airport, I'll look in to it.

I've got a used fairing stay and used race fairings coming friday. Too bad exhausts are loving $$$$ for these bikes.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 23, 2015

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

M42 posted:

I used to be 90 minutes from Summit, love that place. Main is the best.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Hit my first trackday of the year (I know, I know... pathetic) last Monday at Raceway Park of the Midlands (formerly MAM, for those of you stuck in the pancake flat Midwest) and had an absolute riot! Started off a little slow getting used to the bike again but I picked up steam and got smoother throughout the day. Last lap of the day was was my quickest as well, which is always nice... didn't really feel like I was pushing I was just hitting my marks and focusing on being smooth. All told, finished about 2.5s off my overall fastest times at this track so not bad for used tires and an out of shape rider.

First time towing the bike with my new Focus ST too, thing pulled the trailer outstandingly well! Kicked the crap out of my old Civic Si - got better fuel econ and had waaaaay more than enough power. Very impressed.

A former coworker tagged along and apparently got some decent pics, can't wait to see how crappy I look on the bike :v:. Good to be back on the track regardless!

M42 posted:

Have fun, the addiction is brutal but no better way to burn cash than to turn it into tracktime and tirewear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Man, why are all of the FLAP trackdays during the middle of the week? I have 200hr of PTO but I want to wait until next year until i start using it.. I want to ride Sonoma or Laguna in the next couple of months but everything is Mon, Tue, Thu, or Friday.

• Locked thread