Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, monster-specific mutagens don't count--they're used for specific decoctions, not mutagen slotting on the character sheet. Color for those appears to be arbitrary. Makes sense the attack power ones would be delayed; it's easy enough to get overpowered for the early levels without being (more of) an obscene berzerker mutant.

Stacking Sign intensity is probably the easiest way to get overpowered right now. Igni tends to destroy most enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is three times you've asked people to hit you up with the in-game text. Which, ostensibly, would be the source you'd be referring to for your theory to hold any water.

Did you seriously go back and count?

Summary:
Letho: "I dunno. Never saw her again. The Emperor offered me a mission in the Northern Kingdoms. As for Yennefer, I had the feeling she was somehow important to Emhyr. As I see it, they learned of the Lodge from her. Those Imperial spooks have their ways. All I heard is that Vattier had his men watch Yennefer closely throughout the time she was at the palace. Then we went off to slay the kings of the North, and that's where my knowledge ends."
Letho was a pawn not a master manipulator. Nilfgaard offered him a job and he accepted.

Sile: "You waited long enough...Should you survive, go south, to Nilfgaard, where you'll find Yennefer of Vengerberg. Farewell, witcher."
Sile was aware of Yennefer's survival and location. Most likely the two were in contact.

Sile: "After assassinating Demavend, Letho used our gold and magical support to find and meet Iorveth. The elf was to help him hide until the matter blew over. Or so I thought. The Lodge did not condemn Foltest to die."
Unexpectedly, the Lodge did not do the rational thing and kill Letho after his work was done. This makes no sense if he is simply a random witcher.

Letho: "Whatever the case, they gave me a list of the sorceresses in the Lodge. Only Emhyr, Vattier and I were present. Only we knew of the mission."
During the summit, Letho names all the members of the Lodge except for Yennefer. This suggests Yennefer's involvement early on.

Without Yennefer's cooperation, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide. Yennefer could contact Sile and make the necessary arrangements to ensure Letho would not be disposed of.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, doing the Bloody Baron's questline at last (way over-leveled for it) and his voice actor absolutely nailed the role. He's such a vile man and I can never overlook what he's done, but the sheer grief and anger he displays about himself is touching in a really uncomfortable way. I chose to turn his miscarried daughter into a beneveolent spirit, and the way the Baron utterly loses it and breaks down crying when naming her was heart wrenching. More like this please.
He's really, really good, and it's a good storyline.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I beat the game yesterday and I honestly don't think it ever hits a dramatic note quite on the level of the Bloody Baron stuff

Which is a bit of a shame because that happens in the first third of the game

Not to say that the rest is BAD but drat, there's a reason people say to save the best for last

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Though they don't quite hit the same emotions as the Baron story, the bonding moments with Ciri are pretty powerful as well.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah W3 hits the entire emotional spectrum. That's one of many reasons it rules.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Merry Magpie posted:

Sile: "After assassinating Demavend, Letho used our gold and magical support to find and meet Iorveth. The elf was to help him hide until the matter blew over. Or so I thought. The Lodge did not condemn Foltest to die."
Unexpectedly, the Lodge did not do the rational thing and kill Letho after his work was done. This makes no sense if he is simply a random witcher.

Except that that sentence can just as well be read as Letho using (some of) the resources given to him for the assassination of Demavend to contact Iorveth - AGAINST the expectations and plans of Sile and Philippa.

quote:

Letho: "Whatever the case, they gave me a list of the sorceresses in the Lodge. Only Emhyr, Vattier and I were present. Only we knew of the mission."
During the summit, Letho names all the members of the Lodge except for Yennefer. This suggests Yennefer's involvement early on.

Or that they knew that Yennefer was not an active member - which is kind of a no-brainer with an amnesiac Yennefer in their hands. Implicating her would have yielded no benefit for Emhyr at that point.

quote:

Without Yennefer's cooperation, Nilfgaard would have no way of ensuring the Lodge contracted a random Nilfgaardian witcher to commit regicide. Yennefer could contact Sile and make the necessary arrangements to ensure Letho would not be disposed of.

The Lodge actually contacting and hiring Letho to kill a king was not a pre-condition for their plan to work to begin with. It was merely a bonus that made it easier for Letho to pull it off. All he needed was for the Lodge to hire him in some way substantial enough to establish a connection through which to frame them - a task that is quite realistically achievable for a witcher without requiring your convoluted conspiracy theory.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
I am the master of Gwent! That tournament only got easier after the first opponent. I think he beat me 4 or 5 times before I squeaked a win in. The rest I either beat outright or managed to tie with and replay. Woo!

Oh, and it doesn't look like Sasha will steal any cards from you so I don't know where that's coming from(seen it mentioned around the web)...unless you were an uncooperative prick, maybe. I don't know...doesn't look like I'm missing anything either way. The note she leaves you says that she was going to, but decided against it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you seriously go back and count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliT818ZEAs
Refer to that. Has the full Letho conversation tree, as opposed to the truncated video you're working off of. 6:12, 8:25, and especially 9:55 and 10:42 may be what you're looking for.

Letho posted:

Kill as many rulers as we could. Lay the blame on the sorceresses. Breed chaos. Prepare the North, soften it before the invasion.

Letho posted:

(how did you contact Sile?) It wasn't a problem once I learned of the Lodge's existence. Initially she watched my every move. But sooner or later, everyone starts treating me like a big oaf.
I stayed close to Sile, killed a few beasts for her, and whined about how unhappy I was, how unfair the world was.
I made sure a few potentially trustworthy witnesses saw us together, could link us...Security, in case I was captured. I also prepared to assassinate the king of Kovir. Esterad Thyssen was to be the first victim of the mysterious assassins.
But before I could do the dirty deed, Sile asked me to slay Demavend. The gods had smiled upon me. I couldn't belive my luck. Here I'd been trying to figure out how to frame Sile, and now all I needed was to carry out her orders and follow through.

It goes on from there. :boom:

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Does anyone know what quest this is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDW_bvBxLA

I think it was cut. It seems like the quest would be funny as hell.

Also just realized that the dwarves on misty island are the 7 dwarves from Snow White. Just loving realized that, 7 days later.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Simple Simon posted:

Does anyone know what quest this is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDW_bvBxLA

I think it was cut. It seems like the quest would be funny as hell.

It's a sidequest you can find behind an aard-able wall in the Novigrad sewers. The entrance is close to the building Triss is hiding in during her Novigrad quest line.

Edit: Here's a guide video.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Magni posted:

Except that that sentence can just as well be read as Letho using (some of) the resources given to him for the assassination of Demavend to contact Iorveth - AGAINST the expectations and plans of Sile and Philippa.

How is Letho contacting Iorveth "against the expectations and plans of Sile and Philippa."

Magni posted:

Or that they knew that Yennefer was not an active member - which is kind of a no-brainer with an amnesiac Yennefer in their hands. Implicating her would have yielded no benefit for Emhyr at that point.

This argument did not spare Triss, the Nilfgaardian members of the Lodge, or the innocent schoolteacher, Margarita Laux-Antille.
The point of the accusation was to eliminate all the members of the Lodge regardless of guilt.

Magni posted:

The Lodge actually contacting and hiring Letho to kill a king was not a pre-condition for their plan to work to begin with. It was merely a bonus that made it easier for Letho to pull it off. All he needed was for the Lodge to hire him in some way substantial enough to establish a connection through which to frame them - a task that is quite realistically achievable for a witcher without requiring your convoluted conspiracy theory.

Your theory requires Sile to be incredibly stupid and trust a Nilfgaardian witcher she had just met. Witchers kill monsters. They are not assassins for hire.
It also does not explain why she did not simply kill him after he completed his mission.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How are people still going on about this guy's Yennefer fanfiction.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Merry Magpie posted:

They are not assassins for hire.

This is objectively false thanks to what we discover about certain Witcher school during the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to hide POIs you've completed on the map but leave incomplete ones? It gets a bit cluttered with 100+ grey icons everywhere.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Merry Magpie posted:

How is Letho contacting Iorveth "against the expectations and plans of Sile and Philippa."

This argument did not spare Triss, the Nilfgaardian members of the Lodge, or the innocent schoolteacher, Margarita Laux-Antille.
The point of the accusation was to eliminate all the members of the Lodge regardless of guilt.

Your theory requires Sile to be incredibly stupid and trust a Nilfgaardian witcher she had just met. Witchers kill monsters. They are not assassins for hire.
It also does not explain why she did not simply kill him after he completed his mission.

Actually the Viper and Cat schools of Witchers became outcasts exactly because they basically turned into assassins for hire. Letho is part of the Viper school.

The Wolf School, as well as Griffin and Ursine, are considered the "Good" ones IIRC.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Broken Cog posted:

Actually the Viper and Cat schools of Witchers became outcasts exactly because they basically turned into assassins for hire. Letho is part of the Viper school.

The Wolf School, as well as Griffin and Ursine, are considered the "Good" ones IIRC.

Not only this - apparently this is well known too. One of the guys who hires you wants to know what school you're from because he's wary about hiring one from one of the less reputable school.s

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

OAquinas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliT818ZEAs
Refer to that. Has the full Letho conversation tree, as opposed to the truncated video you're working off of. 6:12, 8:25, and especially 9:55 and 10:42 may be what you're looking for.

It goes on from there. :boom:

Well thank you for that.

I am actually disappointed now. Sile was simply an idiot.

^^^I have to point out I haven't played much of the third game yet, so I was unaware about the other schools.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 2, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

Well thank you for that.

I am actually disappointed now. Sile was simply an idiot.

^^^I have to point out I haven't played much of the third game yet, so I was unaware about the other schools.

Please at least read the books before you start throwing around theories. They're actually really good.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Zoo06 posted:

Oh, and it doesn't look like Sasha will steal any cards from you so I don't know where that's coming from(seen it mentioned around the web)...unless you were an uncooperative prick, maybe. I don't know...doesn't look like I'm missing anything either way. The note she leaves you says that she was going to, but decided against it.

She basically charges you 4500 for a sex cutscene, but you get half of your original winnings too. If you don't want to help a thief then you get nothing but the cards and XP from the tournament and lose your 1000 entry fee.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Merry Magpie posted:

How does your bolded sentence in any way exclude it? It can jsut as easily be read as Sile talking about Lethos intentions, not her own or Philippas plans.

quote:

Except it was not. It was to break the Lodge as part of the power structure opposing Nilfgaard. Implicating Yennefer, who was in he hands of Emhyr and a potential resource at this time, would have done *nothing* towards that goal. The nilfgaardian members of the Lodge were foremost a target because working for the Lodge and Philippa meant they committed outright treason against Emhyr.

quote:

Or one who, as Letho himself says, already did a number of jobs for her and did everything to appear as a dumb oaf that could be easily made her pawn. And both the Cat and Viper schools are rather infamous for having turned into borderline and at times outright assassins for hire. And she didn't simply kill him because he never gave her any chance to do it by using the resources given to him for the assassination to contact Iorveth and go into hiding. Because he eminently wasn't the dumb oaf he made Sile belief him to be.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Is there any reason I'm having such a hard time activating the Alternate Sign mode of Axii? Holding down the trigger seems to result in a normal cast more often than not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Scandalous posted:

Is there any reason I'm having such a hard time activating the Alternate Sign mode of Axii? Holding down the trigger seems to result in a normal cast more often than not.

keep holding it after you get the normal cast

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ice Fist posted:

Not only this - apparently this is well known too. One of the guys who hires you wants to know what school you're from because he's wary about hiring one from one of the less reputable school.s

Which is funny because if you say "griffin school" he asks why you have a wolf around your neck. Why even ask if you already know what the medallion means?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Begemot posted:

Which is funny because if you say "griffin school" he asks why you have a wolf around your neck. Why even ask if you already know what the medallion means?

People from the Griffin School might wear wolf medallions. Who can say? You don't know! Witchers are very mysterious!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Begemot posted:

Well, if Geralt lies about his school affiliation, that's a pretty good indication for the guy that maybe the wolf school isn't on the up and up either.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

keep holding it after you get the normal cast
Nothing additional happens, Geralt just stands there and the target stands dazed until the effect wears off. Occasionally the Alternate mode will function - camera zooms in and it goes all slow motion.

I done a Google and it seems it's an issue that can be rectified by an .ini edit, but I'm reluctant to go poking around in the game files since apparently it has an effect on all other Alternate modes too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Well, if Geralt lies about his school affiliation, that's a pretty good indication for the guy that maybe the wolf school isn't on the up and up either.

Geralt does still get accused of being a kingslayer throughout the game.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 2, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So, getting a steel sword with an innate +15% chance to stun (and three rune or whatever slots) is worth way more than adding on a bit of damage. It lets you slice apart human camps with quen and fast strikes, no dodging required.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Scandalous posted:

Someone early in the thread suggested pulling the trigger more slowly and that fixed it for me. I haven't done the .ini fix but I can do it as long as I take my time pressing the right trigger. If you mash it down and hold it, you get normal Axii like 99% of the time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I started my Death March playthrough. Definitely have to rethink how I played from Normal because even the beginning ghouls killed the gently caress out of me several times. :shepicide:

Getting used to it and dumping bad habits I had from Normal, already made it past the griffin in a shorter amount of time than I did in Normal. I'm also going full on alchemy and signs this go around, I think I'll need it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any downside to (Novigrad boxing) just throwing the fight to Gorgeous George and Claytop (:haw:), then coming back and challenging them again? Besides pride, I mean.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any downside to (Novigrad boxing) just throwing the fight to Gorgeous George and Claytop (:haw:), then coming back and challenging them again? Besides pride, I mean.

I dunno, but this time I'm going to dick them over just like in Snatch. ;)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ravenfood posted:

I don't think so. There was one guy on Skellige that I did that for (he was trying to impress a girl he had a crush on), and there was no penalty for just challenging him again afterwards.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I was just sailing around Skellige discovering POIs when...

:eyepop:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Levantine posted:

Someone early in the thread suggested pulling the trigger more slowly and that fixed it for me. I haven't done the .ini fix but I can do it as long as I take my time pressing the right trigger. If you mash it down and hold it, you get normal Axii like 99% of the time.
Thank you, I'll try that. When it works it's a really nice ability, so I'd like to make a Sign-focused build with it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is going to skellinge a point of no return/does it fail any quests in the Velen/Novingard area, or can I just go explore it whenever?

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Avalerion posted:

Is going to skellinge a point of no return/does it fail any quests in the Velen/Novingard area, or can I just go explore it whenever?

Explore it whenever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What I love about this game is I can hit it up for about 3 hours a night and even then can get through like 3 good quests and find new ones along the way. Just beat the champion of champions. And a bear . With my fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Spikeguy posted:

What I love about this game is I can hit it up for about 3 hours a night and even then can get through like 3 good quests and find new ones along the way. Just beat the champion of champions. And a bear . With my fists.

I grinned pretty hard when final skellige champion came out. It was a genuine jaw drop when I saw the champion of champions sticking up over the crest of the hillside when the fight organizer pointed in that direction.