Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Wiz posted:

The game is actually significantly faster than before and you should probably stop pretending that you know better than the developers what will and will create significant slowdowns. The idea that Central Asia will cause CK2 any significant slowdown can trace its origins squarely to your rear end.

OHHHHHHH poo poo son. You just got Paradoxx'ed.

Seriously tho, what was it that was causing slowdown issues in CK2, and how precisely did you fix them? I am interested to know, since so many people have pontificated on it, but it seems like nobody really knows what it was causing it except you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wiz posted:

The game is actually significantly faster than before and you should probably stop pretending that you know better than the developers what will and will create significant slowdowns. The idea that Central Asia will cause CK2 any significant slowdown can trace its origins squarely to your rear end.

That's great news but I don't think anyone posted it here before today. The game did slow down after Rajas so it wasn't exactly an unfair assumption.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I've gone into great details on my optimizations on the Paradox forums but in essence, all Greek rulers don't try to castrate everyone in the realm anymore every day(and similar situations) have been fixed. It stood for 70% of AI calculations together with fatwa

On the craptop I was running a year went by under 20 seconds. Late game was about a minute. Think these measurements are a bit more than a month old. I'll see if I can give some new numbers later today.

(to be clear, SoI and LoR caused more of a slowdown than RoI which is what I've primarily optimized this patch)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Wiz posted:

I hope you posted this on the Paradox forums.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Another Person posted:

OHHHHHHH poo poo son. You just got Paradoxx'ed.

If you were to say something like "If Paradox doesn't make XYZ before 2015, ban me", would that be called Paratoxxing? :haw:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Groogy posted:

I've gone into great details on my optimizations on the Paradox forums but in essence, all Greek rulers don't try to castrate everyone in the realm anymore every day(and similar situations) have been fixed. It stood for 70% of AI calculations together with fatwa

On the craptop I was running a year went by under 20 seconds. Late game was about a minute. Think these measurements are a bit more than a month old. I'll see if I can give some new numbers later today.

(to be clear, SoI and LoR caused more of a slowdown than RoI which is what I've primarily optimized this patch)

So these tweaks will be with the patch that comes with the expansion.

Because that sounds great and will suck to wait.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think I'll be horsing around much with this new DLC, the game almost killed me twice already. Unthinkable hordes of great gaming hours was more than I could take.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Hopefully the steppe hordes wont be locked in to elective gavelkind or something equally punishing. Really ruined tribes for me that you can't even use a special succession type unless you're Muslim.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

If you were to say something like "If Paradox doesn't make XYZ before 2015, ban me", would that be called Paratoxxing? :haw:

It would be called a useless bet since all 13.7 billion years of "before 2015" have already happened

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Freudian posted:

It would be called a useless bet since all 13.7 billion years of "before 2015" have already happened

If paradox doesn't release Sword of Islam before 2015 ban me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The silk road mechanic in particular is really interesting. It'd be cool to control it as a republic.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

all Greek rulers don't try to castrate everyone in the realm anymore every day

fuckin lmao

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Sorry Wiz, I'm going to have to break up with EU4 for a while when this comes out :black101:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The silk road mechanic in particular is really interesting. It'd be cool to control it as a republic.

Come on land merchants. Do we get proper Russian principalities now?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Cool enough; the steps were hugely wasted considering how interesting they were before. Please fix the Bolghars though; they a bit poo poo as is.

And just please Africa. Nothing specific, just please. Please. Cut it out, improve it, just don't let it lie there like a rotten appendix on the body of CK2 only lying there to remind you that sometimes you can't have nice things.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how Paradox has supported CK2 but please don't pull a The Sims and release CK3 without any of these features 3 years from now. :(

I think that EU4's launch shows they have a decent track record in this regard-- or at least I can''t think of anything huge from EU3's expansions that was missing in EU4.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

I think that EU4's launch shows they have a decent track record in this regard-- or at least I can''t think of anything huge from EU3's expansions that was missing in EU4.

I'm going to do a lit review out of my butt and confidently declare with no backing that each time they release (EU | CK ) (current version + 1) they look through all the features and keep/rebalance the ones that worked and ditch the ones that didn't and then DLC-iterate from there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

evilmiera posted:

I don't think I'll be horsing around much with this new DLC, the game almost killed me twice already. Unthinkable hordes of great gaming hours was more than I could take.

I agree. I don't think the engine really behooves this type of playstyle, so I'll be sticking with the mane game. I vote neigh on this DLC.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's horses in it

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
On my home computer without autosaves 1400 savegame, this is the numbers I got

Version 2.3.4: ~1:40 seconds,
Version 2.4: ~1:10 seconds

Next step I guess is to look at autosave speed.

Running on a Intel Core i5-3570k 3.40 Ghz(4 cores)

e: Did a quick compare with my old logs from work because I felt my computer at home was a bit slower and the multi threaded update of characters is hogging most of the performance while at work where I have 8 cores its completely different result. So if you have an i7 I expect you will have even better performance.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 2, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Edit: I will repeat that some kind of utility that goes through a savefile and cleans out all the useless courtiers (which by 200 years in must be 75% of the characters) would tremendously help alleviate this problem and would easily be worth dropping :10bux: on and it's baffling that this doesn't already exist.

Someone appears to have done this or at least taken the first steps towards it. I still think it's a red herring but no harm in trying, is there?

(there may, in fact, be harm in trying, so take baclups).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
This might get lost in the Horse chat, but after crushing a revolt, what do you do with the captured vassals? It seems a bit weird that stripping a traitor of their titles is seen as tyrannical.

e: Just seen the 'as Duke Suchandsuch is a traitor, our vassals won't care', text. I'm a fool.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

With the fall of the decadent Italians the Catholics have finally been exterminated! :black101:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Walton Simons posted:

This might get lost in the Horse chat, but after crushing a revolt, what do you do with the captured vassals? It seems a bit weird that stripping a traitor of their titles is seen as tyrannical.

e: Just seen the 'as Duke Suchandsuch is a traitor, our vassals won't care', text. I'm a fool.

The lovely part is that only works on one title.

Which loving sucks if you inherent super dukes.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Groogy, is the new patch/expansion going to stop this from happening every time my leader dies?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vichan posted:

With the fall of the decadent Italians the Catholics have finally been exterminated! :black101:

want that vassal limit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ooh, Steppe tribes mean more mechanics for the Dothraki in the GoT mod. Maybe transplant some asian stuff into Yi Ti.

The symbiotic relationship between CK2 DLC and the GoT mod is something all smart devs should be paying attention to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CharlestheHammer posted:

The lovely part is that only works on one title.

Which loving sucks if you inherent super dukes.

Sometimes a superduke can be such a loving rear end in a top hat that you get tempted to use your Chancellor to fabricate a claim on one of your own vassals (no tyranny if you have a strong claim on the title you're revoking).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sometimes a superduke can be such a loving rear end in a top hat that you get tempted to use your Chancellor to fabricate a claim on one of your own vassals (no tyranny if you have a strong claim on the title you're revoking).

In situations like that I just eat the tyranny malus to cut him down to size. The opinion hit is gross but not unmanageable if youre cautious to keep military action limited in scope and have a free hand with gifts and honorary titles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

no tyranny if you have a strong claim on the title you're revoking.

drat, seriously? I have a couple dukes I need to knock down a peg so that will be super helpful.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

Did you use a claim CB on the republic title? That seems to sometimes screw things up, as does a CB that destroys the title, but you then recreate it before the end of the month.

No, conquest, which functions as a mini holy war I think. I had the same issue once when I holy warred Sicily, and Amalfi bugged. But I'm almost 100% sure I did a county conquest on independent genoa in that game, and genoa disappeared as designed, so you'd think doing a county conquest on the HRE for genoa would have the same effect. I force crashed the game so I'm going to try again and hope it's kind of a coin toss type deal, but I'm not optimistic.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Great Khan title should give you the ability to have vassal emperors imo.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

The Great Khan title should give you the ability to have vassal emperors imo.

Vassal emperors sound like such an incredible pain in the rear end for a variety of reasons, I'm not sure I'd bother with them even if it was an option.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

Vassal emperors sound like such an incredible pain in the rear end for a variety of reasons, I'm not sure I'd bother with them even if it was an option.

You obviously wouldn't be a good Genghis anyways. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Khanate's succession plan was such a hilariously poorly thought out plan that I hope they use it to make the gavelkind tears seem like nothing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Genghis never had to sit around with lovely realm laws because his dumbfuck vassal emperors couldn't stop having rebellions break out annually. Because Genghis was smart and had royals rolled up in carpets and trampled with horses. His tyranny penalties were outweighed by his gigantic I Will loving Destroy You opinion bonus.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis never had to sit around with lovely realm laws because his dumbfuck vassal emperors couldn't stop having rebellions break out annually. Because Genghis was smart and had royals rolled up in carpets and trampled with horses. His tyranny penalties were outweighed by his gigantic I Will loving Destroy You opinion bonus.

That's what the "I have decided gently caress him and everyone he knows" CB is for. I wonder if we'll get any sweet new 7 holding provinces in the far east. Karakorum should be sweet.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Because Genghis was smart and had royals rolled up in carpets and trampled with horses. His tyranny penalties were outweighed by his gigantic I Will loving Destroy You opinion bonus.

I still live in hope that Paradox somehow implements "fear" bonuses as a partial counter to "tyranny" or "dishonourable" penalties .

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want incredibly ahistorical Xiongnu remnants.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still live in hope that Paradox somehow implements "fear" bonuses as a partial counter to "tyranny" or "dishonourable" penalties .

"I just executed every duke from here to the Danube and I've got ten more in the dungeons. The gently caress is this poo poo about 'lower crown authority'?."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Khanate's succession plan was such a hilariously poorly thought out plan that I hope they use it to make the gavelkind tears seem like nothing.

What was the Khanate's succession like?

• Locked thread