Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Jesus, it's so frustrating how quick these are going out of stock. I don't get paid until a week from tomorrow, and I hope I won't have to wait weeks or something to buy a couple. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ordered mine yesterday from Newegg with rush processing and it still hasn't shipped. My guess? Their marketplace sellers threw listings up ASAP to get as many orders as possible and are scrambling around to fill orders. Some of those listings didn't even bother to have pictures for a while! I don't know how strict Newegg is with their sellers but on Amazon they'd be considered late after two days. Then again, depending on your overall sales volume you can just ignore a bunch of late orders for a few days and make your money. I haven't even gotten my Arkham Knight code and it's the end of the second day. I could play that on my current card while I wait :/.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

After giving Tiger Direct a copy of my driver license, a thumb print, and a small blood sample they assured me repeatedly and clearly that my cards would ship today. They'd better not be playing inventory games with me.

(They're out of stock of the ones that I bought, but they helpfully recommend an alternative.)

E: oh motherfucker now it's "All Backordered - These items are currently on backorder, and will ship as soon as we receive stock on them". I am going to call someone and lose it on the phone, I think.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

E: oh motherfucker now it's "All Backordered - These items are currently on backorder, and will ship as soon as we receive stock on them". I am going to call someone and lose it on the phone, I think.

What exactly did you expect? Tigerdirect have been doing moderately shady poo poo for more than a decade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DuckConference posted:

What exactly did you expect? Tigerdirect have been doing moderately shady poo poo for more than a decade.

I'd never purchased anything from them before. :negative:

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Mr.PayDay posted:

You can read and watch what happens in the forums: the branding - neutral gamers are posting stuff like this in the last ~46 hours:
"Hoooly sh*t, TitanX Performance for 649-699 $?! Sorry, dont wanna/ cant wait for AMD any longer, buying 980ti now to play Witcher3 and GTA 5 finally maxed"

I like to think I'm fairly neutral when it comes to graphics card companies, but looking back this is actually going to be the first time I've owned a desktop Nvidia card since the GeForce 4 was a thing. Hell, my first Nvidia graphics card period since the 8700m.

I just REALLY loving wish IRay would add together mutliple cards' VRAM and/or make each card responsible for a portion of a scene so I could double up on 970's or run a 980 Ti and a 970. But noooope, want to ever render a scene that uses more than 6 gigs of VRAM, better buy that Titan, son :10bux::10bux::10bux:

So I did :homebrew:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Subjunctive posted:

I'd never purchased anything from them before. :negative:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx980ti/ If it helps, this site now has a tracker for a growing list of variants of the card.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So about how much faster is a Titan X/980ti compared to a moderately overclocked 980? Are those extra shaders in the former going to guarantee the latter will never come close? I have a 980 sitting at around 1450 MHz boost and it really struggles at 1440p ultra settings Witcher 3 - frequently sub-40 fps. Is there a single card upgrade to this or is it SLI time?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx980ti/ If it helps, this site now has a tracker for a growing list of variants of the card.

Thanks. TD is now saying "week of June 22nd" to ship from the next batch (5 mins after someone else told me that they were getting new cards in a week). I've got a pre-order pending on Amazon and alerts set up, can't wait to cancel that order.

Motherfuckers.

E:

Anti-Hero posted:

So about how much faster is a Titan X/980ti compared to a moderately overclocked 980? Are those extra shaders in the former going to guarantee the latter will never come close? I have a 980 sitting at around 1450 MHz boost and it really struggles at 1440p ultra settings Witcher 3 - frequently sub-40 fps. Is there a single card upgrade to this or is it SLI time?

Gamers Nexus shows their 1440p Witcher 3-ultra benchmark going from 45 on stock 980, to 57 on stock 980 Ti, to 68 on OC'd 980 Ti, but they don't show an OC 980 result. Apparently the 980 Ti OC is worth about 20%, but obviously varies card-by-card.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 2, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anti-Hero posted:

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed/5

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
What I can gather from the above links is a 980ti upgrade would be worth 20% if and only if I overclocked it. I suspect my OCed 980 is about on par with a stock 980ti. Looks like multi-gpu is my only option :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I haven't even gotten my Arkham Knight code and it's the end of the second day. I could play that on my current card while I wait :/.

No, you can't because it's not out until June 23 :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anti-Hero posted:

Unless you absolutely need the top single card performance or can get a hell of a used sale price for a card that's taken a price cut and is still an expensive outlier, buying a higher tier card in the same generation is pretty inefficient. Especially next generation should be a real big gap. Maybe if you wait for a hybrid cooler and OC the tits off it you could get enough out of it to be your best option if you absolutely need more performance.

Honestly my recommendation is see if your 980 can fit the evga hybrid cooler and see if you'd be able to get a good bit more OC, otherwise wait for next generation. Upgrading is going to be pretty expensive unless you can sell that 980 well and OC a ti hard.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 2, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yea, Pascal is likely to dominate, just hope AMD pulls through on Arctic Islands and Zen because this last round looks awful, it seems to basically be DX12 upgrades to existing stuff in the hopes that improves performance enough. Maybe they'll be pushing Tonga to not be poo poo? Maybe they're all binned really well?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, Pascal is likely to dominate, just hope AMD pulls through on Arctic Islands and Zen because this last round looks awful, it seems to basically be DX12 upgrades to existing stuff in the hopes that improves performance enough. Maybe they'll be pushing Tonga to not be poo poo? Maybe they're all binned really well?

I'm hoping for a hail mary crazy speculation that I saw that AMD is going to be respinning the 300 series on a better GloFo process than the current TSMC one and getting a pretty big reduction in leakage (like they saw with Carrizo). That's wishful thinking based on them having to buy GloFo wafers anyway and not having anything else to sell them in though.

I'm just praying because I'm pretty much certain that we won't see releases like the 970 or 980ti without AMD.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

No, you can't because it's not out until June 23 :v:

Agh! I've been ignoring GTA V, Witcher 3 and the other big name releases because I recently got a 3440x1440 monitor and I can't really push it with AA and high settings. Luckily, my Newegg order did just finally ship. Once this card arrives I'm looking forward to really cracking into them!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wouldn't even bother with multi gpu with 4gb ram at this point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Wouldn't even bother with multi gpu with 4gb ram at this point.

It's been doing fine so far, the frametimes aren't any more hosed in Witcher or GTA V than normal dual card stuff. It's a bit of a gamble, but it's probably going to be manageable with settings even if games start needing more. Note that needing and using an amount of memory aren't the same thing. However, the problem is what cards are there to pair up with 4 GB? 980's at a really bad price/performance point, 970's going to start chugging when it really needs much more than 3.5 GB, and it's also similar to the 290X in that the 980 ti may give fewer frames but being a single card will make it as good if not a better experience. There was a time to pair those cards but it is pretty much over.

And I wouldn't pair up Furies with 4 GB, that is enough power they probably will run into a memory wall.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone know if the EVGA hybrid watercooler + fan thing is going to be worth waiting for? It looks like there is no ETA for when they are even going to be available. I guess I don't have to have it right this very second, but its basically the only thing I am waiting for before buying a new PC and monitor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The first Fiji PCBs were spotted on import invoices in November I think. The rumors were that Fiji would launch in January (I think), then another spotting on the import invoices, then another rumored launch in late Feb/early March. Then the launch got pushed back to Computex. I think that time segment is probably indicative of some hardware issues. Now that the launch is pushed back again and someone's demoing a Fiji with no BIOS - I think they're fighting software issues. In all fairness it does seem like it would be really hard to assess the performance of a card if you've got major BIOS issues. On the other hand it's also Not My Problem, I'll take a 980 Ti that works today, guaranteed, over a Fiji that costs 30% more that might beat it by 30% at some point down the road.

If those numbers are right it's so unbelievably over for AMD though. Their thunder has been stolen and they've been undercut. 4GB was a barely-tolerable amount of memory for a halo-segment product, which was supposed to be counterbalanced by crazy performance and good price, but now the 980 Ti beats it in every way and offers 2GB more memory to boot.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What if the production costs for HBM are such that pricing these new cards at anything close to being competitive with the 980Ti means selling at a large loss? Like if they need to sell Fiji xt/xtx at ~$500 but that means taking a $250-$350 loss per card, can AMD afford to do that?

Anyone have some kind of a source on how much HBM really costs in the total-cost-of-ownership sense? I would imagine that silicon and assembly yields play a large role in costs. If the wafer yields are low or they damage a non-negligible amount of chips mounting them on the interposer I could see the costs going up pretty quickly. There are some slight benefits because you don't need standalone memory controllers or tons of long-rear end wiring going everywhere but those are probably totally swamped by the teething issues inherent to a first-generation technology.

I don't think they will cost $750 per card to manufacture, that wouldn't leave any room for retailers or AMD's profits. Even with HBM I doubt they would design a $850 card that cost more than $400-450 to build. I think they could probably move them on that cost if they wanted - if they sold direct-to-customer as a counterweight to keep retailers from cranking prices up (ala Nvidia and Titan X), let's say that product retails at $500-550. There are probably enough people who would buy them at that price that they could at least move their ordered inventory. Then they plan on HBM2/Arctic Islands giving them another bite at the apple. Who knows if their balance sheet could sustain that, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Could someone with a Titan X do me a quick favor and give me a screenshot of Cuda-Z on your card? I don't suppose anyone has a 980 Ti but I'd be interested in that too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone know if the EVGA hybrid watercooler + fan thing is going to be worth waiting for? It looks like there is no ETA for when they are even going to be available. I guess I don't have to have it right this very second, but its basically the only thing I am waiting for before buying a new PC and monitor.

Corsair has a setup as well but yea, watercooling GPUs works incredibly well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
:siren: EVGA 980 Ti HYBRIDS ARE UP :siren:

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=12G-P4-1999-KR

e: Can't even load the page, no idea if there's any still in stock.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

...4GB was a barely-tolerable amount of memory for a halo-segment product...

Apparently current memory usage is horrifically inefficient and that HBM would be better in this regard but that 4GB would be perfectly compared to 6GB or even 12GB. I know someone else has the link explaining it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Paul MaudDib posted:

:siren: EVGA 980 Ti HYBRIDS ARE UP :siren:

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=12G-P4-1999-KR

e: Can't even load the page, no idea if there's any still in stock.

lol out already

Titan X Hybrids were in stock for a moment too, they are also out of stock. I love it, massive GPU power for everyone!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Could someone with a Titan X do me a quick favor and give me a screenshot of Cuda-Z on your card? I don't suppose anyone has a 980 Ti but I'd be interested in that too.

KakerMix posted:

lol out already

Titan X Hybrids were in stock for a moment too, they are also out of stock. I love it, massive GPU power for everyone!

I know for the titan X hybrids it was "while they last"

http://forums.evga.com/TITANX-HYBRID-m2341311.aspx

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 3, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
^^^
Thanks!

FaustianQ posted:

Apparently current memory usage is horrifically inefficient and that HBM would be better in this regard but that 4GB would be perfectly compared to 6GB or even 12GB. I know someone else has the link explaining it.

I'm sure AMD has a small army of kernel engineers who will leap to it. They're all just busy writing Fiji's BIOS two weeks before a totally-not-paper launch.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 3, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm sure AMD has a small army of kernel engineers who will leap to it. They're just all writing the BIOS for Fiji, they'll get around to it eventually.

This sounds suspiciously like sarcasm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The AMD boys are starting to sound like the xbox one guys touting directx 12 after every question.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

Now that the launch is pushed back again and someone's demoing a Fiji with no BIOS - I think they're fighting software issues.

It's common for show-floor visual display units of pre-release cards to have no or disabled BIOS, so that nobody can grab an unattended machine and run a benchmark.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
As someone who's tried to squeeze a program into GPU memory (really any memory-limited platform), you can totally squeeze more in if you really try, the problem is that it's just an incremental improvement. On my Master's project, the first pass I cut memory usage by maybe 50%, after applying some cute tricks I thought up I reduced it by another 25%. So all in all I squeezed an 87% increase out of it.

I don't know what numbers he's looking at but I think 50% would be a pretty generous guess on how much could be practically achieved. A 4K frame is 8.3 megapixels, at 24 bits per pixel that's 25 megabytes per frame, and you'd need at least 2 of them for a framebuffer. Just how many copies of the framebuffer are sitting around that you can save that much memory? I'd think most of it is tied up in stuff like textures, which are presumably stored relatively efficiently (i.e. there aren't a bazillion copies of it sitting around).

You might be able to make a 4GB card behave like a 5GB or 6GB card (maybe 6GB) but it's not going to ever hit 200% or 300% of where it is right now.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Looks like half the 980 ti ram is the "slow" ram like the 0.5 gb in the 970...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/02/nvidias-new-gtx-980-ti-3gb/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought NVIDIA's compression stuff gave a big improvement, but maybe only in effective bandwidth rather than at-rest storage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/02/nvidias-new-gtx-980-ti-3gb/

Assuming you're not trolling, I totally called it. Link's broken and I can't find another source anywhere though.

But drat, 3GB/3GB would be even worse than I'd thought. I'd figured the slow segment would be proportionately-sized with the 970s or maybe a little worse since there's fewer physical chips. 50/50 would make its fast memory segment smaller than the 980's...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 3, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Well I bought a 980 ti. I bought it for someone else but still counts for bragging purposes right?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Pro click

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The faaark.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mazz posted:

I swear my old GTX 480 could power itself with a closed loop water cooling system and a little steam turbine. The thing used to idle at like 68°C

Hell, I bought a 465 years ago since at the time it was sub $200 and had pretty great performance for a midrange card. I almost crapped myself when I decided to go SLI and noticed the primary card was hitting mid 60s in temperature...running Photoshop. I can't imagine having one or more of the 470-480 cards with how hot they got and the amount of power they used under load...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD 390x coming bundled with a water cooler and 850w platinum power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Link's broken and I can't find another source anywhere though.

I think you'll find that link is working perfectly fine.