Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Miniature Market is doing flat $6 shipping on anything below $99 (above is free) now -- pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

I'm a big fan of Feld's games, even though I've only played CoB and Trajan so far. What do you guys think about Bora Bora, Amerigo and Macao(I realize this is hard to find but it looks like it would be good)?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I saw the Ticket to Rider special edition or whatever at a huge discount at Cool Stuff, and that was what, 100+ dollars MSRP at release? How the hell is that thing going to sell? Really strange.

I got a copy and am quite happy with it. To be fair though, I didn't already own a copy and had been meaning to get one for a while as it's a great introductory game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh.

Do any of the small world expansions add to the basic gameplay? I mean, the basic game more or less has three main rules:

1) It costs 2 tokens to take a space plus one for each thing on it, plus/minus any modifiers.
2) You get a point/dollar for every space you hold at the end of your turn, plus/minus any modifiers.
3) You can go into decline on your turn if you want. This is your whole turn, and you can have only one race in decline at a time, unless you have a modifier that says otherwise.

You get a lot of minor variation in that, and I appreciate Decline as a way to refresh your troops, but the game is simple as hell. I don't find it all that strategic or tactical. The hardest decision I make is where to put my extra dudes during reinforcement.

It's a good enough game for what it is. I'm not hating on it or anything, but I'd really love if there was an expansion that made the game a bit more complex.

It's a decent starter game for fantasy nerds, but it has virtually no replay value when you quickly realise how little strategy there is and how much it just becomes a game of bash-the-leader.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think you could have butchered this sentence any harder if you tried.

Small World Designer Edition is coming out June 9th, $450 and gorgeous as hell

http://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/designer-edition/inside.html

3 oversized boards
All the Races from Small World, Cursed, Grand Dames, Be Not Afraid and Royal Bonus (heat-printed wood Tokens stored in 28 individual boxes)
65 sculpted figures (Troll Lairs, Fortresses, Heroes, Dragon, Pots of Gold, Fireballs...)
27 race and 35 power wood banners
Piles and piles of Metal Coins
6 purses
1 Small World Pocket Encyclopedia
6 helpers
1 game guide
1 metal Turn Marker
1 reinforcement die

How is that small? :colbert:

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a decent starter game for fantasy nerds, but it has virtually no replay value when you quickly realise how little strategy there is and how much it just becomes a game of bash-the-leader.

It's basically Risk, except you don't have the fun of rolling dice.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 2, 2015

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

EBag posted:

I'm a big fan of Feld's games, even though I've only played CoB and Trajan so far. What do you guys think about Bora Bora, Amerigo and Macao(I realize this is hard to find but it looks like it would be good)?

I've only played Macao and Bora Bora personally. Macao is pretty good, Bora Bora is bad, Boring Boring like lorini called it before. Macao is just a way tighter design, with the game mechanics being centered around the card draft and the die rolls in pretty clever ways. Bora Bora also has a really cool central die rolling and selection mechanic, but everything else in the game is like Feld ran out of ideas after that and just tacked like his 4 favorite point salad systems together to have something else to do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think so, it must be for them to put that much effort and time into it.

I don't know how this will do, but "a business thought it was smart, so it was smart" is a pretty stupid metric. Businesses make wrong decisions all the time.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I saw the Ticket to Rider special edition or whatever at a huge discount at Cool Stuff, and that was what, 100+ dollars MSRP at release? How the hell is that thing going to sell? Really strange.

What do you mean huge discount? Shows as 30% off which is their normal pricing.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

EBag posted:

Amerigo is pretty cool and doesn't feel quite as pointless (in terms of what you are doing, not scoring har har) as a lot of his other games. It also has a CUBE TOWER for randomizing the things you'll be able to do in a given turn. This feels like an interesting mechanic and there isn't much you can do to determine how a given turn will play out (before using the tower) because of this, but it never feels like you're totally screwed. You're also building plantations and such but since it isn't in an actual place like most other games it doesn't feel quite as colonialist. I would definitely give it a shot, I feel like it is one of the more interesting Feld games and I am not a huge fan of his stuff (it's good/fine, just not for me).

Edit: Question about the Vlaada anniversary boxes -- I assume these are limited runs and won't be printed again? ie the store here still has copies of the Dungeon Lords anniversary box but not the Galaxy Trucker one.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 2, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

Amerigo is pretty cool and doesn't feel quite as pointless (in terms of what you are doing, not scoring har har) as a lot of his other games. It also has a CUBE TOWER for randomizing the things you'll be able to do in a given turn. This feels like an interesting mechanic and there isn't much you can do to determine how a given turn will play out (before using the tower) because of this, but it never feels like you're totally screwed. You're also building plantations and such but since it isn't in an actual place like most other games it doesn't feel quite as colonialist. I would definitely give it a shot, I feel like it is one of the more interesting Feld games and I am not a huge fan of his stuff (it's good/fine, just not for me).

Edit: Question about the Vlaada anniversary boxes -- I assume these are limited runs and won't be printed again? ie the store here still has copies of the Dungeon Lords anniversary box but not the Galaxy Trucker one.

I don't think they've said they won't print the anniversary boxes again, but they haven't said they will either. Maybe at the 10th anniversary?

EBag
May 18, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Amerigo is pretty cool and doesn't feel quite as pointless (in terms of what you are doing, not scoring har har) as a lot of his other games.

I don't really mind dry themes as long as the mechanics are solid and interesting like Trajan for example. I kinda wish i'd picked this one up sooner, it's hard to find and much more expensive than it used to be. One local store used to carry it for $50, now the lowest I can find (in Canada) is $67.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh.

Do any of the small world expansions add to the basic gameplay? I mean, the basic game more or less has three main rules:

1) It costs 2 tokens to take a space plus one for each thing on it, plus/minus any modifiers.
2) You get a point/dollar for every space you hold at the end of your turn, plus/minus any modifiers.
3) You can go into decline on your turn if you want. This is your whole turn, and you can have only one race in decline at a time, unless you have a modifier that says otherwise.

You get a lot of minor variation in that, and I appreciate Decline as a way to refresh your troops, but the game is simple as hell. I don't find it all that strategic or tactical. The hardest decision I make is where to put my extra dudes during reinforcement.

It's a good enough game for what it is. I'm not hating on it or anything, but I'd really love if there was an expansion that made the game a bit more complex.

the expansions make the game a lot better but i can still rattle off half a dozen games in a similar niche that i'd rather play so that's a moot point

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm not sure I can recommend Bora Bora even though I own it. It has similar dice mechanics to CoB with some Puerto Rico styled role selection and a whole host of other poo poo thrown in. There's just a crap ton to keep track of and the parts don't come together in the most elegant way. I don't know, it's not bad but it feels like a Feld overdose.

ConfusedUs posted:

Tales & Legends adds event cards before each round ala:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 2, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The one thing I like about Small World is the idea of having your civilization go into decline and picking it up with another civilization that may or may not be excavating your ruins. Small World doesn't execute it well at all for a myriad of reasons, but the idea of a game where the first half is extended setup for the second half kinda intrigues me. Is there anything that does something similar to this vague, ill-defined and poorly articulated concept?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I don't think this has been posted before so UK goons: Amazon.co.uk is running a "Spend £20 and get £5 off" on board games sale through the rest of the month. (link)

There's a lot of crap to wade through but there are some half decent bits and pieces in there, and considering the painful prices of UK boardgames I'd recommend a good browse. Depending on what you want there's things like Pandemic and expansions, 7 Wonders and expansions, Castles of Burgundy and a bunch of card related stuff like binders and sleeves.

It doesn't appear to be single use as I've just bought something and it let me apply the code to another purchase (didn't complete it so cannot definitely confirm), but you do have to make sure it's being bought from Amazon - eg. you have to buy the Amazon copy of Pandemic (2p more!) to use it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

GrandpaPants posted:

The one thing I like about Small World is the idea of having your civilization go into decline and picking it up with another civilization that may or may not be excavating your ruins. Small World doesn't execute it well at all for a myriad of reasons, but the idea of a game where the first half is extended setup for the second half kinda intrigues me. Is there anything that does something similar to this vague, ill-defined and poorly articulated concept?

Haven't played it but having read the rules maybe Imperial / Imperial 2030?

quote:

The world in 2030. Along with the United States, Russia and Europe, the new great powers China, India and Brazil have appeared on the horizon, in order to participate in the global race for power and influence. But ultimately, these six states are only puppets in a treacherous game, because their fates are controlled by powerful international investors operating in the background. Each player takes on the role of such an investor who is on the constant lookout for the maximum return on his investment, and therefore tries to obtain a ruthless control of individual great powers. But his control of a state may also slip away, so that changes constantly occur, and new strategic constellations and conflicts arise.

http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=479

Single Tight Female posted:

I don't think this has been posted before so UK goons: Amazon.co.uk is running a "Spend £20 and get £5 off" on board games sale through the rest of the month. (link)

They've also got Keyflower for under $45 (with shipping) to the US if anyone is still looking: http://www.amazon.co.uk/R-D-Games-KEYF-Keyflower/dp/B009AP8XS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433283879&sr=8-1&keywords=keyflower

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

the idea of a game where the first half is extended setup for the second half kinda intrigues me.

Betrayal at House on the Hill fan spotted.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill fan spotted.

I've suddenly lost all interest in the idea.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
In The Downfall of Pompeii, the first part of the game involves placing pieces on the board while the second part is evacuating those pieces post-eruption.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Crackbone posted:

What do you mean huge discount? Shows as 30% off which is their normal pricing.

It was during one of their bigger sales that was somewhat recent, it was at least 50% off.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just because I was curious, people who have rated both Agricola and Caverna on BGG have rated Agricola 8.29 on average and Caverna 8.68.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

7 ages, actually, does this kinda well. I only played one age's worth (fuckin long-rear end game with six players), but you have a couple civs that build up cities and cool stuff and get you gold, points, etc...and then you decide "y'know, those guys are just so far behind in technological terms, they're gonna fade away and oh man look at these fuckin MONGOLS that are gonna hoover up those resources, hell yeah".

Not 100% sure I'd recommend the game, but I would say it's a much bigger, much more involved, much better game that takes that concept and runs with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just because I was curious, people who have rated both Agricola and Caverna on BGG have rated Agricola 8.29 on average and Caverna 8.68.

Agricola has like 40,000 votes and Caverna 8,000. The more people who score the more likely it is to be weighed down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

al-azad posted:

Agricola has like 40,000 votes and Caverna 8,000. The more people who score the more likely it is to be weighed down.

Yes, but this is the subset of people who specifically have rated both, which means they should have equal votes under those parameters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Yes, but this is the subset of people who specifically have rated both, which means they should have equal votes under those parameters.

I guess people like dwarves more than serfs.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Well theoretically, this is only the average ratings of people who have rated both, so the intersection of those two sets. I'm using the "view similar games" function on BGG. However, the thing seems to time out often and is now giving me different results with Caverna at 8.25 with 12000 ratings by people who have also rated Agricola, which doesn't make sense since the game only has 8000 ratings total according to the front page. So the thing seems like it's probably buggy and probably not even an accurate reflection of what people voted.

Example of the buggy query
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/similar/thing/31260?minrating=1&maxrating=10&minnum=3000&minavg=1&B1=Submit

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 3, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

GrandpaPants posted:

Amun-Re, actually, does this quite well.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Acolyte! posted:

In The Downfall of Pompeii, the first part of the game involves placing pieces on the board while the second part is evacuating those pieces post-eruption.

I played this twice recently and it just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I rated Agricola a 10 and Caverna a 9. Gric is the better game, but I assume most people rate it lower because they can't handle the constant threat of negative points.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 3, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Durendal posted:

I rated Agricola a 10 and Caverna a 9. Gric is the better game, but I assume most people rate it lower because they can't handle the constant threat of negative points.

Caverna is a straight puzzle game. There is zero randomness except for slight variation in action order and three ? harvests that may appear at slightly different times.

Personally I prefer Agricola more because the cards add a little personal customization but Caverna is even more Euro-y and I'm sure that gets some people off.

e: Also: dwarves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Caverna is a straight puzzle game. There is zero randomness except for slight variation in action order and three ? harvests that may appear at slightly different times.

Personally I prefer Agricola more because the cards add a little personal customization but Caverna is even more Euro-y and I'm sure that gets some people off.

e: Also: dwarves.

Here's the fun thing about Agricola though, you can play it like Caverna! Agricola already has the Major Improvements, instead of giving everyone a hand of cards just deal out some onto the table into a common pool, bam instant Caverna.

I feel that the pool of people that rate both Caverna and Agricola is self selecting. Someone that prefers Agricola would see a online review or description of Caverna and be turned off by the lack of cards, never to buy the game or rate it. Only people that are frustrated by starvation in Agricola, or turned off by the complexity of the cards, would be interested in Caverna at all, and they would be the only ones to rate it. Caverna is the Tanto Cuore to Agricolas Dominion. It is mechanically solid, and has a theme that appeals to a certain odd subset of people, but is ultimately a much shallower game and only loved by a devoted few.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can deal tiles out like cards for a great variant and Caverna becomes much better than Agricola thanks to the expanded actions and lighter theme :)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 3, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Why is a lighter theme considered better?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of people enjoy silly dwarves mining/farming/questing more than serfs starving and struggling to make ends meet. A more "fun" theme to use a dirty word. I didn't mean light as in less. Tone would have been a better word than theme.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

A lot of people enjoy silly dwarves mining/farming/questing more than serfs starving and struggling to make ends meet. A more "fun" theme to use a dirty word. I didn't mean light as in less. Tone would have been a better word than theme.

And, perhaps, a different word than "better", seeing as though a more widely popular theme is not inherently better for tying mechanics to setting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not inherently, but if the execution is solid (and it is), then I think more people will enjoy it when the games are close enough for theme to be a deciding factor. For Agricola and Caverna, that's definitely the case. As someone that's played and loved Agricola a poo poo ton, I like Caverna more now. Not that it's strictly better, but I definitely like the additions and theme enough to be ok with the loss of cards. That's an even trade for me. I'd rate both games a 9.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Would it surprise you to find out that there are people who think the exact opposite, theme-wise? That is, subsistence farming is more interesting to some (mostly because it is *not* a very overused theme) than generic fantasy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

You can deal tiles out like cards for a great variant and Caverna becomes much better than Agricola thanks to the expanded actions and lighter theme :)

No, that's actually a terrible variant. The tiles are not balanced to be good in a random draw, there will be huge mismatches in the power of peoples hands due to random chance. You need to have access to all the tiles for the game to function properly. Also, Caverna has 60 tiles, Agricola has 300 cards (in the base set, Agricola unlike Caverna has many expansions).

The theme is nonsense! Since when are dwarves known to be above ground farmers? He should have gone whole hog and done an entire cave based board with mushroom farming or something, rather than being lazy and sticking in onto the side of a Agricola board like a parasite.

silvergoose posted:

Would it surprise you to find out that there are people who think the exact opposite, theme-wise? That is, subsistence farming is more interesting to some (mostly because it is *not* a very overused theme) than generic fantasy.

As a historian I find Agricolas theme 1000% more interesting than Caverna!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 3, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think both games are overrated :smuggo:

e: only slightly!

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't agree that Caverna is immediately shallower than Agricola. Agricola leaning towards lower scores while Caverna trending high doesn't make one game better than the other especially considering in Caverna everyone has equal access to every option at all times.