Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

We don't know she's a "victim" of anything. As has been pointed out here, all we know is she decided to not bother with the retrial and thus she lost.

There are other victims in the world besides her, rear end in a top hat. And mocking the idea that talking about one's abuse is no big deal shits on all of them that had to actually do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Best suggestion I've seen so far for a replacement: :mitt:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Amergin posted:

Sure, and you can highlight that by going through the trial process from start to finish rather than throwing a bitchfit when retrials pop up.

EDIT:

We don't know she's a "victim" of anything. As has been pointed out here, all we know is she decided to not bother with the retrial and thus she lost.

Please leave your gimmick to politics and don't help normalize these attitudes on the issue of rape.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Of the Senators running for President, only Cruz voted "yes". Paul, Rubio, and Sanders voted "no". Graham wasn't present, but has tweeted out that he would have voted "no".

Okay, just to confirm: the FREEDOM Act was Paul's baby right? And he voted no?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Yep, keeping the proud Paul tradition alive!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

No, Paul is opposed to it because it still allows for bulk data collection, except now it will be done by the telecoms and then requested of them by the NSA.

This was the compromise worked out in the House and co-sponsored in the Senate by the Democratic leadership and Ted Cruz (yes, seriously). Paul is opposed because it doesn't go far enough. McConnell and Graham are opposed because they think it goes too far.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

How is her art stunt a part of her "new life" in which she's trying to "move on" though?

Different person

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Who What Now posted:

There are other victims in the world besides her, rear end in a top hat. And mocking the idea that talking about one's abuse is no big deal shits on all of them that had to actually do that.

Let's try and stay on topic - this one particular case.

Isn't carrying a mattress around a statement that you're pretty comfortable with talking about it? Also, attending SOTU with a Senator, attending multiple panels, giving presentations about it... obviously SHE (not all rape victims) doesn't have a problem talking about it. So why the issue with not involving the police?

edit: This particular post is about Sulkowicz, not "Josie".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also "retrial popping up" :lol:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good god y'all there has to be another thread where you could be this stupid.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Shageletic posted:

Good god y'all there has to be another thread where you could be this stupid.

If you want, you can read about the White House propaganda machine working to preserve NSA snooping on your dick pics.

"Transparent administration" my rear end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

No, Paul is opposed to it because it still allows for bulk data collection, except now it will be done by the telecoms and then requested of them by the NSA.

This was the compromise worked out in the House and co-sponsored in the Senate by the Democratic leadership and Ted Cruz (yes, seriously). Paul is opposed because it doesn't go far enough. McConnell and Graham are opposed because they think it goes too far.

Thank you.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We must ban digital technology so we can have privacy again. Butlerian Rand 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

The point she seems to be making is that the accused was granted a full retrial on appeal even though she had followed the rules. Combined with him being allowed to delay the trial while he was in Europe, this resulted in extra and unnecessary pain to her of having to continually rehash and re-visit a deeply unpleasant experience.

It was obviously an unspeakably awful situation for her but unfortunately I think that a strong appeals system that is flexible for the defendant is extremely important, if only for the fact that court proceedings are already weighed against poor minorities (who of course make up a majority of defendants)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm about to be offline for ~2 weeks, so I'll leave you all with this blast from the past: How About Tax Reparations For The Rich? (Forbes, 2011)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I was wondering where all this extra liberty came from.

...wait a minute it does the opposite of what it name says!

Reminder that earlier last month everyone was rooting for the USA FREEDOM Act and were disappointed when it seemed dead because it was not the PATRIOT act.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Have a fun vacation, FC

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What schools still have communal showers as part of the gym class? In my experience they were primarily used by the sports teams. Is Mike Huckabee making a point about the absurdity of gender segregation in athletics? Since if he identified as a woman he would likely want to play on the women's team.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
http://ux.delawareonline.com/story/...d6de50a73e51e5d

Delaware is about to decriminalize pot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
President Obama has signed the Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

President Obama has signed the Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015.

USAFREEDOMA? Now you're just making stuff up, Joe.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Hmm, something tells me you wouldn't think the same about that if this case didn't involve sexual assault.
This is like saying "hmmm I bet you wouldn't care about finding a body if this was an embezzlement investigation instead of a murder case!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

An over-100-year-old beech tree was cut down today on the White House grounds. A victim of last night's storm. Thanks, Obama. :rip:

They should make a nice piece of furniture out of that so it's not totally wasted.

Joementum posted:

It uses the Baron Harkonnen anti-gravity suspensors, obviously.

McDowell posted:

We must ban digital technology so we can have privacy again. Butlerian Rand 2016

I get both of these jokes, where's that put me on the nerd scale?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Joementum posted:

Best suggestion I've seen so far for a replacement: :mitt:

You know, that's honestly not a terrible choice. Say what you want about Mitt but he's a fairly honest guy and could definitely handle FIFA.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You know, that's honestly not a terrible choice. Say what you want about Mitt but he's a fairly honest guy and could definitely handle FIFA.

It's not like he hasn't (supposedly) done it before.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SubponticatePoster posted:

They should make a nice piece of furniture out of that so it's not totally wasted.

Uhhhmmmm, decomposition isn't waste buddy. Check your anthropocentrism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does one destroy or whittle down the Koch Brothers?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
This was heard second hand, but apparently John Kerry would be near the top of his age bracket, worldwide, if he regularly competed in races. Here's to hoping he can recover.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

How does one destroy or whittle down the Koch Brothers?

Ignore their money.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

I get both of these jokes, where's that put me on the nerd scale?

4 Wonkos out of 10.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It was obviously an unspeakably awful situation for her but unfortunately I think that a strong appeals system that is flexible for the defendant is extremely important, if only for the fact that court proceedings are already weighed against poor minorities (who of course make up a majority of defendants)

I think there's a lot of daylight between "strong appeals system" and "having a re-trial and dragging all the witnesses back in". Especially when there's not a jury. Sure, if there's blatant malfeasance or major new evidence coming to light, I get the need for a retrial but there's nothing to indicate that that happened here (or at least I've seen nothing about the reason for the retrial).

Amergin posted:

How is her art stunt a part of her "new life" in which she's trying to "move on" though?

You're confusing the Columbia victims here - the one who was originally successful in her accusation but had it overturned because she didn't want to go through the whole thing again in appeals is not the one carrying the mattress around.

Boon posted:

Reminder that earlier last month everyone was rooting for the USA FREEDOM Act and were disappointed when it seemed dead because it was not the PATRIOT act.

Right but in the meantime, the Patriot Act was successfully challenged in court and then expired. So the frame of reference changed a bit.

Radbot posted:

Let's try and stay on topic - this one particular case.

Isn't carrying a mattress around a statement that you're pretty comfortable with talking about it? Also, attending SOTU with a Senator, attending multiple panels, giving presentations about it... obviously SHE (not all rape victims) doesn't have a problem talking about it. So why the issue with not involving the police?

edit: This particular post is about Sulkowicz, not "Josie".

Well we're talking about a wide time gap. The assault "allegedly" happened August 2012, she didn't report it to Columbia until April 2013, and after she was dissatisfied with Columbia's handling, she went to the police in May of 2014. She didn't start carrying the mattress until Sept. 2014. It's not unrealistic to say that her ability and willingness to speak about it changed over that time period, both due to time passing and due to not having success making her case with the university or the cops. Her willingness and ability to face her trauma enough to carry a mattress around in September 2014 doesn't say much about her state of mind and ability to go to the cops two years previously (because going within a few days of the rape is the best shot, right?).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ignore their money.
Howabout dealing with people who don't ignore their money, like persay most of the congressional GOP? Hope to vote them out eventually?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bel Shazar posted:

4 Wonkos out of 10.

Strange measuring system.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bel Shazar posted:

4 Wonkos out of 10.
Oh good, still in the acceptable range.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Uhhhmmmm, decomposition isn't waste buddy. Check your anthropocentrism.
"Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

Actually I was figuring some tree removal company would chop it up and sell it for firewood or something like that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Seems like there would be quite a bit of value in "white house wood" on ebay or with woodworkers.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

taqueso posted:

Seems like there would be quite a bit of value in "white house wood" on ebay or with woodworkers.

Depends how hard and what kind of stain it takes.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I prefer a dark mahogany for my wood

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

taqueso posted:

"white house wood"

Sounds like a sequel to "Who's Nailin' Palin"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
White House Would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice
Another notable "No" vote on the FREEDOM Act was Sen. Tammy Baldwin's, thereby upholding the proud Wisconsin tradition of being the only Senate Democrat to vote "No" on such things.

http://www.baldwin.senate.gov/press-releases/senator-tammy-baldwin-statement-on-usa-freedom-act

• Locked thread