Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Game Bro Reviewer's critical mistake was that he failed to warn his bro about stairs. Maybe this is where Dave got the idea??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The Game Bro Reviewer's critical mistake was that he failed to warn his bro about stairs. Maybe this is where Dave got the idea??

i believe that screen doors were the more immediate cause of his downfall.

and of course john, in his idiocy, did not use his unfathomable powers of retcon to fix this injustice.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Android Blues posted:

I'm still hoping SBaHJ is entirely a decade long foreshadow of how Lady Masse kills Lord English. It would make me so happy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

i believe that screen doors were the more immediate cause of his downfall.

and of course john, in his idiocy, did not use his unfathomable powers of retcon to fix this injustice.

Screen doors are designed to allow wind to pass through freely. He would be powerless.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I guess I should be cheering, but that shaking black screen is ominous as hell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So now there's two distinct halves of a person running around independent of each other.

The implications of this are a little abstract.

Also Roxy is completely unfazed by Calliope's appearance. She's a true pal.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I guess I should be cheering, but that shaking black screen is ominous as hell.

Nah it's just the same thing that happened when John zapped Lowas back into the new timeline, just glowing black instead of blue-white, because of void powers.

Anyway, hey! This was a lot less fuss than expected.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's good to see that sometimes, not everything has to be a federal loving issue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Awww. That little smile on Calliope's face as she looked at smiling Roxy was so sweet.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Plom Bar posted:

EDIT: HERE IS THE PANEL IN QUESTION

That fake article wherein the reviewer doesn't even play the game and rambles about what his friends are doing is only slightly more ridiculous than what passes for publishable these days.

Maybe Homestuck has really been about ethics in games journalism, all along?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Roxy is the truest friend in the entire comic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR FOOT posted:

Roxy is the truest friend in the entire comic.

I think John's at least tied with her.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

glowing-fish posted:

Maybe Homestuck has really been about ethics in games journalism, all along?

No. Do not.
Anyway it's not an ethics issue that's just a really bad article

Man, this brisk pace is really....jarring for this comic.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Yeah, there was no fat or redundancy in this upd8. Short and sweet, directly to the point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It'd be cool if Calliope was actually a super badass fighter and she contributed significantly to the battle. Does she still have that crazy powerful wand/deudly white magnum?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

WAR FOOT posted:

Yeah, there was no fat or redundancy in this upd8. Short and sweet, directly to the point.

I hope these nicknames for Vriska and Aranea catch on.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Fortis posted:

:vince:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So now there's two distinct halves of a person running around independent of each other.

The implications of this are a little abstract.

She's (Lady M off with Jade) still dead so unable to leave the dream bubbles. Unless there is a spare unprototyped kernel? :hmmm:

quote:

Roxy :3:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 3, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That must be the Voidy Thing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

OK, realtalk time. I know I have this dumb gimmick, but let's put that on hold for now.

This is 100% my only real beef with Calliope. She doesn't respect Roxy. She is too self-centred about her "monstrous" appearance to realize that Roxy is the kindest, gentlest, friendliest friend she could ever wish for, and instead constantly and repeatedly lies to her by covering up her appearance.

That is really really hosed up and I hate it.

I am glad that Roxy finally got to see the true her and, just like everyone knew, didn't give a poo poo about her cool friend being a green skull child.

In conclusion, Roxy is the best, and by association, Calliope is not that bad.

EDIT: vvvvv
As fair as that is, Roxy was at the same time encouraging her, and let's face it...

As great as Caliborn is, Roxy is better.

life_source fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 3, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
To be entirely fair to Callie, she grew up with her brother telling her that everyone secretly hates her and will be glad when he kills her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

How dare a character in this, Homestuck, do a selfish thing because of an insecurity relating to their hosed-up isolated upbringing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah I am also scandalized about a teenager being insecure in their appearance.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

To be entirely fair to Callie, she grew up with her brother telling her that everyone secretly hates her and will be glad when he kills her.
gently caress. Watch this be the case with alt-Callie if she really becomes a player.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

gently caress. Watch this be the case with alt-Callie if she really becomes a player.

I can see alt-callie being more like "im going to kill you because it must be done".

e. also I wouldn't say that Callie "deceives" people about her appearance. She's always fairly straight foward about her trollsona being an attempt to look less horrifying.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 3, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So what was alt callie going to go do, exactly? She's still dead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Yeah I am also scandalized about a teenager being insecure in their appearance.
Didn't you know? Being insecure about your appearance is a personal insult to everyone who sees you; a shameless accusation that other people are judgmental.

Heh. That'll show those drat insecure people. It's about time they were brought down a peg.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grapplejack posted:

So what was alt callie going to go do, exactly? She's still dead.

I don't think that will be a problem. she has enough control over this dream bubble that she could just fly it over to LE and wrap it around him.

That said, I'm fairly certain that alt Callie will fail and alpha Callie will be the true key to defeating LE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, these games are one weird rear end way for all of all realities to propagate, especially the part where it can instead every now and then either give someone the option to obliterate everything or help stop the person who took the obliterate option. And technically all this was for and by three universes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So what is the over/under on Dave not actually beating Lord English and Vriska doing it instead?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, these games are one weird rear end way for all of all realities to propagate, especially the part where it can instead every now and then either give someone the option to obliterate everything or help stop the person who took the obliterate option. And technically all this was for and by three universes.

Well, the thing you have to remember is that Cherubs were never meant to play this game. Normally it requires a species which has some level of computer technology and which has at least one member able and willing to decipher code from ancient ruins and copy it onto game disks. The only reason the Cals were able to play it was because they were standing on the shoulders of the Alternians. It is for this reason that every step of Caliborn's journey was designed to stop him from playing, and the only reason he managed to anyway is because of his unbreakable will. So when he got to Yaldabaoth, he did the best he could to stop him by making him take the hardest choice of all: do an impossible task to get an impossible reward.

When you look at the process sans LE influence, it makes a lot of sense. The reward of universal rule can only be claimed by those who are the most capable and willing to best the challenge put before them and do what is right. The reason it has gone so off the rails boils down to the fact that Caliborn is a spoiled brat who doesn't know when to quit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

Well, the thing you have to remember is that Cherubs were never meant to play this game. Normally it requires a species which has some level of computer technology and which has at least one member able and willing to decipher code from ancient ruins and copy it onto game disks. The only reason the Cals were able to play it was because they were standing on the shoulders of the Alternians. It is for this reason that every step of Caliborn's journey was designed to stop him from playing, and the only reason he managed to anyway is because of his unbreakable will. So when he got to Yaldabaoth, he did the best he could to stop him by making him take the hardest choice of all: do an impossible task to get an impossible reward.

When you look at the process sans LE influence, it makes a lot of sense. The reward of universal rule can only be claimed by those who are the most capable and willing to best the challenge put before them and do what is right. The reason it has gone so off the rails boils down to the fact that Caliborn is a spoiled brat who doesn't know when to quit.

To be utterly fair, Caliborn is incredible. He is awesome. He is amazing.

He's just utterly evil and awful in just about every goddamn way. His determination and will to succeed despite ANY road blocks or even his own mental handicaps would be inspiring and heroic if he wasn't a giant rainbow spewing rear end in a top hat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

So what is the over/under on Dave not actually beating Lord English and Vriska doing it instead?

If I was a gambling man, and I'm not, I'd say that neither of them are going to do it. Because Dave is completely right when he says that Lord English has no real meaning for him. LE is only significant in a distant, theoretical sense. Beating him doesn't represent any kind of personal accomplishment for Dave (who simply doesnt care) or Vriska (who is only going after him because shes an insecure tryhard) or really any of the main cast. I'm still convinced that "beating" lord English is going to involve stopping him from being created in the first place. Caliborn is at least present enough in the story for characters to have a real stake in putting him away. And really if anyone gets first dibs on that little poo poo, its Calliope.

e. and fwiw I do think that Dave being unwilling to accept getting shoehorned into a "reluctant hero" archetype against his will is perfectly in keeping with the themes of the story. as he points out, people don't have "arcs", and forcing himself to try to be something he isn't is the mistake that vriska makes over and over and over and

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 3, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Paradox Space Book One has dropped.

Andrew Hussie posted:

This is an extremely attractive collection of comics. One of my main objectives for the Paradox Space project was to start piling up enough great comic content to put into books like these, because books full of comics are very cool. This book covers roughly half of the year's worth of comics. There'll be another one covering the other half eventually. At some point we'll unpause PXS and fire up the comic-making operation again. I've been leaning toward the idea of making the future of PXS more print-centric, and keeping a lot of content reserved for books only. That way, when you get books, it will be more fun to discover what stories are inside. In the meantime though, I hope that you enjoy this one!!!

Bit of a bold gamble to make a webcomic more print-centric, but what the hell, I'm on board. There are also Eridan leggings and Camp Sgrub and Eat Shirt shirts.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nice how the update's a visual callback to John giving Roxy the ring as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think John's at least tied with her.

Truest friends in Homestuck:
1. Mayor
2. Roxy & John
4. Equius
5. Squiddles (all of them, collectively)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Fortis posted:

holy poo poo

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Cat Mattress posted:

Truest friends in Homestuck:
1. Mayor
2. Roxy & John
4. Equius
5. Squiddles (all of them, collectively)

He abandoned his moirail over his pathetic and frankly gross fetishes and got the both of them deaded. p sure Equius is not a good friend.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 3, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cthulhuchan posted:

He abandoned his moirail over his pathetic and frankly gross fetishes and got the both of them deaded. p sure Equius is not a good friend.
Do you need a jam in the feelings pile, Cthulhuchan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cthulhuchan posted:

Plus he's 1/4 of English.