Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think .56 gal deco is one of the best guns for ranked. Solid base weapon with one of the best sub weapons in the game. The ink strike special is also good for obvious reasons.

I just think seekers are friggen super versatile and great most engagements. You definitely lose the perk of throwing a grenade at a high ground but still win most head on fights.

Plus the gun is like, 2 hits and theyre dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Regy Rusty posted:

The final boss with the kraken however is hilarious. It's nice to be able to just breeze through everything.

Overall I'm really satisfied with what the Amiibos add. The challenges were a lot of fun and really taught you to use the other weapons in new ways. Hopefully I can carry that over to the multiplayer. I even kinda liked the limited ink ones. They clearly very carefully chose which stages to do that for as they're ones with minimal fighting and you can use your ink carefully. And of course all the kraken stages are a blast.

Oh of course that's what I was doing wrong by trying to roll into the missiles. Thanks for the tip!!

I love the Kraken missions! They're just so good!

Also, manage to do the two Limited Ink missions that's part of the second world group. Sure taught me to endure attacks from enemies I'd otherwise splat and quickly get over to the other side in the level with the sponges.

Now, I just have to take the Limited Ink mission with the invisible platforms and hopefully win this time around. And clear the Single Player Campaign and hope that there aren't too many Limited Ink missions left. :suicide:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Or maybe more specifically wear what you like the look of and if you happen to like a bunch of 3-star outfits all with unique stats you might as well get a bit of everything and not bother trying to min-max since it'll have no real world effect.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My problem with chargers is that the sensitivity doesn't lower when you have a shot charged, so it's really hard to precisely aim at long distances... which is bad, cause the whole point of a sniper weapon IS precision aim at long distances.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the whole point of a sniper weapon is that you have to be precise, and if you are you are rewarded

that said the scoped ones help with that

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Szmitten posted:

Regarding perks and stats, I haven't cracked the game open or can provide solid facts and figures, but I'm pretty sure their effects are negligable and don't have a real in game effect. I dicked around in the testing area and while the defense perk does reduce damage in a numerical sense, it doesn't amount to taking more/less shots. Similarly, running/squiding wall to wall, I timed it (wearing my three lots of faster in ink perk shoes) and there was less than a tenth of a second difference.

So I dunno, wear what you want.

Yeah this seems to be correct, with the obvious exception of things like Ninja Squid, which add an immediate and noticeable perk. Stealth Jump is also fantastic. Beyond that I have noticed little to no difference taking ANYTHING.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, just as a PSA, damage and defense ups are like. completely loving worthless

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
with a dual squelcher I did 28 damage per shot by default, and 28.8 damage with one damage up. that's like... +1/35th damage, and each one you stack on does less and less. I think by half, even.

it kills by four shots default.
with no damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had 3 defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any slower.
with 3 damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had no defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any faster.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Poultron posted:

Yeah this seems to be correct, with the obvious exception of things like Ninja Squid, which add an immediate and noticeable perk. Stealth Jump is also fantastic. Beyond that I have noticed little to no difference taking ANYTHING.

This might explain on day 1 when my level 3 rear end was owning the hell out of these Japanese folks who were level 20 decked out but didn't save them from getting punked.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am glad that i can focus solely on my fresh squid fashions

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poultron posted:

Recon is interesting too; knowing where people are so you can super-jump safely is nice. The ink saver and ink recovery abilities feel noticeable to me, too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I just think seekers are friggen super versatile and great most engagements. You definitely lose the perk of throwing a grenade at a high ground but still win most head on fights.

Plus the gun is like, 2 hits and theyre dead.

Once you learn the sound of them you can jump over Seekers really easy.

I have Grenade Throw Range on my hat which I didn't think would be useful but with the tracker bombs that come with the Custom Blaster you can throw them really really far and harass people out of reach of your gun, or really lob them into enemy paint so you can plan an approach. The skills give you a pretty big boost, which is nice.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

re: abilities I've just been trying to make sure I always have something with stealth jump while also looking fresh as hell

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ninja squid owns, I've been using the splat charger a lot and while people have been getting good at dodging you when they see the laser sight turn on, they're not as good at dodging when you dip into the ink, swim a bit, and fire at them again from a different angle.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Anyone know if the Opening Gambit or Last-Ditch Effort abilities are noticeable? They sound pretty handy and I have some one-star gear with them on. Although I guess Last-Ditch effort would be pretty useless in Ranked.

Tenacity is definitely worth taking if you have some gear with it, along with Stealth Jump. Ninja Squid not so much because you're already so hard to see while swimming anyway.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I want to say that Defense Up has allowed me to survive Roller collisions in the past. I'll have to do some testing in this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still think ink resistance is really good, but maybe I should try playing with a different pair of boots to make sure its not just a placebo effect.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Icedude posted:

Anyone know if the Opening Gambit or Last-Ditch Effort abilities are noticeable? They sound pretty handy and I have some one-star gear with them on. Although I guess Last-Ditch effort would be pretty useless in Ranked.

Tenacity is definitely worth taking if you have some gear with it, along with Stealth Jump. Ninja Squid not so much because you're already so hard to see while swimming anyway.

I want to say I have something with Last-Ditch Effort on it and haven't really noticed anything special.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I love the Kraken missions! They're just so good!

Also, manage to do the two Limited Ink missions that's part of the second world group. Sure taught me to endure attacks from enemies I'd otherwise splat and quickly get over to the other side in the level with the sponges.

Now, I just have to take the Limited Ink mission with the invisible platforms and hopefully win this time around. And clear the Single Player Campaign and hope that there aren't too many Limited Ink missions left. :suicide:

There's one more limited ink mission, but the invisible platforms one is definitely the hardest.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

with a dual squelcher I did 28 damage per shot by default, and 28.8 damage with one damage up. that's like... +1/35th damage, and each one you stack on does less and less. I think by half, even.

it kills by four shots default.
with no damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had 3 defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any slower.
with 3 damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had no defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any faster.

Were you using primary Damage Up skills or secondary? When I tested the Damage Up skills (on both a Roller and a Charger), secondary ones only gave a 2.8% increase, which is what you cited. The primary ones give a 9% increase for the first and a total increase of 16% if you add another. I don't know whether that translates to faster splatting, but it certainly means that if any stat increases are worthwhile, it's the primary ones.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

the whole point of a sniper weapon is that you have to be precise, and if you are you are rewarded

that said the scoped ones help with that

Yeah but even the tiniest movement on the analog stick sends the reticule flying, and I spend too much time actually trying to line up a shot, even against a stationary opponent. Would gyro controls help with this?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Has anyone ever gotten stuck at the "waiting for players" screen even though it shows all 8 players have joined?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah but even the tiniest movement on the analog stick sends the reticule flying, and I spend too much time actually trying to line up a shot, even against a stationary opponent. Would gyro controls help with this?

It's kind of crazy to me that anyone plays this game without gyro controls, they just feel super natural

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just had a match that gave me 3 team members only (the intro even showed 3 instead of 4) and one of my teammates stood in base all 3 minutes yelling booyah and got 12 whole points.

Cool

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Has anyone ever gotten stuck at the "waiting for players" screen even though it shows all 8 players have joined?

Yeah. Happened to me last night and I waited the 3 minutes out to get kicked back to the lobby menu.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Alabaster White posted:

Oh God, using a Charger without gyro? Yeah, it's pretty bad. Give it a try with gyro, so much better.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of crazy to me that anyone plays this game without gyro controls, they just feel super natural

I prefer dual analog over even keyboard and mouse.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

That's nice you're still wrong

Edit: Let me expand: You're having trouble because this game doesn't autoaim for you like every other baby shooter game made for consoles. Which is why the popularity of shooter games on console boggles older fucks like me.

http://kotaku.com/5593259/rumor-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-play

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

People forget there exist game consoles other than the WiiU and he's probably been playing games on those filthy things.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Roland Jones posted:

Recon is interesting too; knowing where people are so you can super-jump safely is nice. The ink saver and ink recovery abilities feel noticeable to me, too.
Yeah.

As far as I'm concerned, these are all good:
Recon
Stealth jump
Ninja squid
Haunt(echolocation debuff is always good!)

these are ok:
Ink saver(main)
Ink saver(sub)
Ink recovery up
Special Charge up
Special Duration up
Special Saver
Tenacity
Quick Super Jump
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort(in turf war)
Ink Resistance Up(highly situationally)
Cold-Blooded(if they echolocatin)

these are nearly worthless:
Attack up
Defense up
Quick Respawn
Comeback
Bomb range up(unless you have the proest grenade strats in the world that rely upon higher range somehow)
Run Speed Up
Swim Speed Up
Quick Super Jump
Bomb sniffer(don't walk over enemy ink and you won't touch mines anyways)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

God personally gave Gamers more muscles than just their thumbs, so that Her children could aim swift and true.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright which one of you guys is this. Booyah guy got on my team again and just turned into a squid and slowly paddled everywhere. This time there was two of em.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want to experiment a little bit with Ink Resistance because it's fairly helpful if you're using a roller. If it makes wall climbing a little easier I'm all for it.
Tenacity is pretty drat useful as it auto-fills your special when a team member is dead (And it constantly refills when a team member is DC'd)

Can any of the 'good' abilities be rolled as a sub ability on gear? Like could recon or ninja squid appear?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alabaster White posted:

Ok, but they're like objectively way worse at precision aiming. You may be comfortable with it but it is a deficit

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Infinitum posted:

Can any of the 'good' abilities be rolled as a sub ability on gear? Like could recon or ninja squid appear?
I have never seen either of those as sub abilities. I don't know about haunt.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think a good rule of thumb moving forward is that if it's a able to be rolled as sub-ability, that ability probably sucks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Ok, but they're like objectively way worse at precision aiming. You may be comfortable with it but it is a deficit

Oh I know, I'm not going to be plugging a controller and trying to play counterstrike or something, but I prefer console shooters over PC shooters :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Splatoon is more like a PC shooter because of the no auto aim thing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

what I'm hearing is that Splatoon is the most hardcore console shooter ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Oh I know, I'm not going to be plugging a controller and trying to play counterstrike or something, but I prefer console shooters over PC shooters :shrug:

I don't mean to badger you on the point but most console shooters have some degree of autoaim or sticky crosshairs to make it easier to aim at things with cumbersome analog sticks and Splatoon specifically does not have these features. There are machineguns with bulletspread and rollers you don't really have to aim but beyond that not learning to tilt the gamepad is putting yourself at an active disadvantage compared to other players, since nothing else is there to help fine-tune your aim.

• Locked thread