Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'd have drafted the Goyf and after losing to Burst Lightning, torn it in half on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I'd have drafted the Goyf and after losing to Burst Lightning, torn it in half on camera.

The worst of both worlds sounds like an apt solution to matters. I believe that also gets you an auto-loss game 1 of every match if you had it in your mainboard, so it's like three times as lovely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ramos posted:

The worst of both worlds sounds like an apt solution to matters. I believe that also gets you an auto-loss game 1 of every match if you had it in your mainboard, so it's like three times as lovely.

Auto-loss of game 1 in every match after I've been eliminated in Top8? THE loving HORROR

Now I remember why I dumpstered this thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Yeah but you also watch euphonium

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
The FOILGOYF is now 3250. This man has won Magic: The Gathering.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

Now I remember why I dumpstered this thread.

Nobody loving cares.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The goyfgrabbers goyf grabbing has grabbed him a big bag of money, and the hearts of a nation

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

Nobody loving cares.

This man speaks the truth.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Everyone jumping on the apology train now. First Huey, then Owen. Of course, in typical Owen fashion, he's only sorry if his words were "too strong".

Owen Turtenwald posted:

In hindsight, I realize the strength of my response and word choice regarding goyfgate was out of line, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I feel bad that Pascal feels the need to donate half the Goyf to charity. The guy basically admitted he's broke, he's making an act of contrition for doing nothing wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

Everyone jumping on the apology train now. First Huey, then Owen. Of course, in typical Owen fashion, he's only sorry if his words were "too strong".

I feel bad that Pascal feels the need to donate half the Goyf to charity. The guy basically admitted he's broke, he's making an act of contrition for doing nothing wrong.

I hope it gets up to $8000 so that he's still ahead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Entropic posted:

It's now over 4k. Lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's now over 4k. Lol

I would be concerned its just eBay trolls bidding it up with no intent to actually pay for it.

Sickening posted:

Nobody loving cares.

My guess is lots of people care, just not in the way he was clearly hoping for.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 2, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is lots of people care, just not in the way he was clearly hoping for.

Mental illness is real.

This event has been the most fun since Jared snorlac boecher.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

DurdleDuck posted:

Any goons know of places near the Columbus Convention center where one could play some Wizard Poker tonight? Here for Origins, but the rest of the crew doesn't get in until late tonight.

There's a small LGS in the shop complex around the Hyatt/food court, I think.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm loving SCG's articles today. Not one, but TWO articles asking some of its regular contributors whether or not they would've taken the foil Goyf.

All four of them said they would have.

Todd Anderson posted:

As long as the payouts for Grand Prix continue to be so low, I see no reason not to take a card worth so much money, regardless of how high the pressure in the given situation. While not taking Burst Lightning over the foil Tarmogoyf decreases your overall chances of winning by a few percentage points, I'm not sure those percentage points are worth more than the $350 price tag. Add to that the nostalgic value from taking such an iconic card, since opening a foil Tarmogoyf is basically the whole point of having it in the set, and I think the choice is pretty easy.

Brad Nelson posted:

I am a terrible drafter, and I would most likely not have made Day Two of the Grand Prix. I would probably be indulging in one of the amazing shows in Las Vegas like Cirque de Soleil or playing Pai Gow with some friends around that time on Sunday. Since I would not be in that situation myself, I don't believe that I'm in any position to decide whether Pascal was correct to take the money or not. I guess I will just trust the actions of someone that was deserving of being in that position to make the correct decision for themselves instead of projecting my own wants and needs on another individual.

CVM posted:

If you were to put me in Pascal's shoes at that exact moment. After playing for that long, through that many players. With the camera over my shoulder and all the lights and people around and only 90 seconds (or however long they had for the pick) to make my decision, I would have asked myself the same question that Pascal posted in his FB response.

"Would I trade $500.00 for a Burst Lightning in my deck?"

Based solely off that perspective? Fact. I would have taken that drat foil Tarmogoyf.

Jim Davis posted:

Luis Scott-Vargas had no real reason to play his last few rounds of Pro Tour San Diego 2010 other than to dream crush some people on his way to the first 16-0 in Pro Tour history. Was there a real purpose to that? Was being 16-0 any different than 14-0-2 or 14-1-1? Of course not, but it's an awesome story and one of the finer points on his impressive resume'.

It's nice to think Magic is a gentleman's game where we all compete for the love of the sport and nothing more- but it's much more than that. Many of the people upset about Pascal's pick disrupting the integrity of the game would also be more than happy to concede to a friend in the last round of an event (which is, of course, fine) despite the fact that it might knock a more deserving player out of contention. Where's your gentlemanly righteousness now?

Everyone has price, and 10% of the first place prize (almost 50% of the 5th-8th place prize) is enough for me to sacrifice one pick.

I like how Nelson's and Davis' answers are not-so-subtle jabs at CFB pros criticizing Pascal.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

:stonk:

Was also passed Noble Heirarch, ended up taking Karn because I'm in UG

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The online price for a foil MM2 Confidant is lower than a regular one based on a couple sites I checked. Weird.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Entropic posted:

Wish granted - it's currently at $10,200.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

No one cares about foils online. The only reason regular set foils retain value online is redemption.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Wish granted - it's currently at $10,200.

Yeah that's getting cancelled

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

sarmhan posted:

No one cares about foils online.
If memory serves, foil cards look like total rear end on MODO.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah that's getting cancelled

Eh, someone recently bought a NM Alpha Black Lotus for like triple that. Some MtG collectors have lots of disposable income.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Veyrall posted:

If memory serves, foil cards look like total rear end on MODO.

They made them look significantly worse in V4. They're hideous.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Regardless of what the highest legit bid ends up being, if I were Pascal my trollface would be approximately a mile wide right now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could someone link to kingcobweb's blog please?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Could someone link to kingcobweb's blog please?

http://blog.killgoldfish.com/2014/07/kill-reviews-introduction.html

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The online price for a foil MM2 Confidant is lower than a regular one based on a couple sites I checked. Weird.

Foils in non-redeemable sets are sometimes less valued because they look dumb in the client and annoy people. The inflation on foils online only really exists because of foil-redemption.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Even though the 10000 dollar bid is getting cancelled it is probably the only foil goyf in existance with an official top 8 GP stamp on it and it has a great story behind it. If any magic card in existence is collectable it's this one.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Foils in non-redeemable sets are sometimes less valued because they look dumb in the client and annoy people. The inflation on foils online only really exists because of foil-redemption.
Plus, who likes playing with mismatched cards?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

I bought a Planeshift Terminate plus a regular Modern framed one at the LGS the other day and the clerk was like "I don't even know how the gently caress you can play with that."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still want to see the deck Pascal ended up drafting, I searched around Wizards' site and couldn't find it :( Help me out?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

I do so that revealed information becomes Hard Mode.

I only play decks with things like Courser of Kuphrix in them to make it extreme.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I bought a Planeshift Terminate plus a regular Modern framed one at the LGS the other day and the clerk was like "I don't even know how the gently caress you can play with that."

I love playing ugly or mismatched cards in paper decks. My amulet bloom has a 9th, 6th, portal, and visions summer bloom, and when we get the new serum visions, I'm running a 2/2 mix. One pact of negation I have is from mm, and one is from future sight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I only play matching versions of cards that are heavily played in different ways so my opponents have to try to record exactly how damaged each one was when they thoughtseize me

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

cheetah7071 posted:

I only play matching versions of cards that are heavily played in different ways so my opponents have to try to record exactly how damaged each one was when they thoughtseize me

I have tiny little gp sized stamps numbered 1-4. I always use at least one wrong number on each set of cards in the deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

C-Euro posted:

I still want to see the deck Pascal ended up drafting, I searched around Wizards' site and couldn't find it :( Help me out?

Here you go http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpveg15-1/top-8-decklists-2015-05-31

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

kizudarake posted:

I love playing ugly or mismatched cards in paper decks. My amulet bloom has a 9th, 6th, portal, and visions summer bloom, and when we get the new serum visions, I'm running a 2/2 mix. One pact of negation I have is from mm, and one is from future sight.

I play all mismatched Revised basics in BUG Nic Fit when I play it (never.)

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Who was it that poo poo-talked Pascal for "rare-drafting at a GP" when his pool has the fewest rares/mythics from that table? I kinda wanna rub their nose in that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

redstormpopcorn posted:

Who was it that poo poo-talked Pascal for "rare-drafting at a GP" when his pool has the fewest rares/mythics from that table? I kinda wanna rub their nose in that. :v:

Throw a rock at the pro magic community and you'll hit someone that did. :v:

• Locked thread