Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kawabata posted:

For all the good one can say about the game, holy poo poo, combat is appallingly bad. Terrible collision, Geralt and the monsters getting stuck more often than not, weird animations, etc. Camera and locking mechanics are also a total failure: you can't lock on anything when you're facing 5-6 mobs at the same time (most encounters), which means fights are basically this weird ballet of you and the monster hitting the air while not facing each other. Coming from Bloodborne I decided to play Wild Hunt at the highest difficulty but some quests are so badly designed I kind of regret it.

The Baron one for example: once you find the Botchling, for some arbitrary reason you can't save for 20 loving minutes and you repeatedly get attacked by the most annoying mobs, Wraiths. Since this part of the quest wasn't stupid enough, you also need to kill them quickly too, otherwise the Botchling gets angry.

What the gently caress CDPR.

Don't compare this to Bloodborne, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Konig posted:

Does anyone else feel like the mutagen enhancements could have been fleshed out a little more than just Attack+, Health+, and Signs+? With the huge variety of mutagens, and an already established mode of combining them, I feel like there could have been a bunch of cool combination mutagen effects.

I really liked TW2's "The more powerful the creature the more powerful the mutagen thing it's got going on."

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

jaete posted:

What the Christ. :psyduck: A couple hours of questing wasted, I now need to reload since I don't want Triss leaving yet.

You don't need to reload, dude. There are other opportunities to do anything you need Triss for.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I just got an awesome crossbow with a bunch of +% to crit...are those bonuses just for that crossbow or do they carry over to all weapons?

Edit: Maybe I'm crazy but I think the spinning attack/whirlwind thing may be the best skill in the game.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Verranicus posted:

Don't compare this to Bloodborne, idiot.

You sound retarded.

I'm obviously not comparing the gameplay, the Bloodborne reference was about the difficulty. This game only becomes difficult because combat mechanics are absolutely terrible. It looks like simply moving around is a boss fight in itself for Geralt of Rivia.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kawabata posted:

For all the good one can say about the game, holy poo poo, combat is appallingly bad. Terrible collision, Geralt and the monsters getting stuck more often than not, weird animations, etc. Camera and locking mechanics are also a total failure: you can't lock on anything when you're facing 5-6 mobs at the same time (most encounters), which means fights are basically this weird ballet of you and the monster hitting the air while not facing each other. Coming from Bloodborne I decided to play Wild Hunt at the highest difficulty but some quests are so badly designed I kind of regret it.

The Baron one for example: once you find the Botchling, for some arbitrary reason you can't save for 20 loving minutes and you repeatedly get attacked by the most annoying mobs, Wraiths. Since this part of the quest wasn't stupid enough, you also need to kill them quickly too, otherwise the Botchling gets angry.

That quest in particular can be a bit of a pain if you're low level. Do some random stuff, grab some better gear, and come back. If you manage to get your hands on the level 8 Griffin gear it's more than manageable.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I just got an awesome crossbow with a bunch of +% to crit...are those bonuses just for that crossbow or do they carry over to all weapons?

Generally speaking, bonuses on weapons in games apply only to that weapon. This is a weird question. I can't actually think of a game where this is not the case.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Broken Cog posted:

That quest in particular can be a bit of a pain if you're low level. Do some random stuff, grab some better gear, and come back. If you manage to get your hands on the level 8 Griffin gear it's more than manageable.

I suppose I could level up a bit before trying again.

To save some time, can I calm the thing with the Axii as the Wraiths appear, or do I always have to kill them first?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kawabata posted:

I suppose I could level up more before retrying.

To save some time, can I calm the thing with the Axii as the Wraiths appear, or do I always have to kill them first?

It's scripted. You have to kill the wraiths first.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Honest Thief posted:

Think I'll respec, anyone who went heavily with a Sign build can vouch for it? Melt armor is great and I love Yrden alt, but it seems I could do much better with alchemy buffs. Plus the griffin armor looks goofy

Alt Axxi is good times, just kickback and watch a pack kill themselves. Regular Axxi for knocking annoying cunts out of the air or off their horse.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Bleh, I was doing grey quests and seemed fine (doing some, then green, then back and forth) until I started doing the Novigrad story quests. Those and the secondary missions you unlock have given me no completion exp. I hope this patch hits soon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kawabata posted:

I suppose I could level up more before retrying.

You have to kill them first, then you can calm the thing. I don't think it's timed though, when I did it on Death March I kited the wraiths around for a while during the second encounter, and it didn't seem to affect anything.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

You have to kill them first, then you can calm the thing. I don't think it's timed though, when I did it on Death March I kited the wraiths around for a while during the second encounter, and it didn't seem to affect anything.

It took me too long to kill the Wraiths the first time and the thing transformed. It definitely is timed. :(

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Konig posted:

Generally speaking, bonuses on weapons in games apply only to that weapon. This is a weird question. I can't actually think of a game where this is not the case.

Because some of the bonuses are more general. +5% exp gain I would assume is overall. +2% adrenaline point gain?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Comrade Flynn posted:

Because some of the bonuses are more general. +5% exp gain I would assume is overall. +2% adrenaline point gain?

That's fair, that's a bit more vague, but I assume something like +5% exp gain would only apply to kills made with that weapon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just assumed bonuses on a weapon applied to that weapon alone unless referring to things like sign intensity.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I would like to share with you all some quick tips for fighting wraiths, as some of you seem to have some real problems with them. Including during the Baron line.

Yrden is obviously very helpful tool but not necessary. Quen can also be very helpful and the two of them together are very potent even with non sign builds. Even in heavy armor, unupgraded you can throw down yrden and a quen to give you a bit of room to breath if you're a bad. When wraiths teleport to you, they always do a 3 swing combo that is unblockable on a 1 pause 1 2 count, but you can short dodge in any direction twice to get avoid it and immediately counter attack.

Some of you might say "Why The Trend, this is simple when there is one, but when there are 2, or 3 or even FOUR? what what you do?" My friend I would recommend a short dodge twice and if baddies are still appearing a full roll back and reset. Once you have avoided their attacks out of the teleport you are should be able to get 3 fast attacks or 2 heavies then you need to doge away reapply or get to a place to do your signs and repeat.

Again wait for the teleport then short dodge back twice on a calm 1, 2 count. Counter attack.

I hope this spares some poor struggling goon his sanity

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 3, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress are upgraded bombs awesome for groups of humanoids. There were a few fights where I was struggling, then I just started throwing bombs and people EXPLODED IN HALF.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

TheTrend posted:

I would like to share with you all some quick tips for fighting wraiths, as some of you seem to have some real problems with them. Including during the Baron line.

Yrden is obviously very helpful tool but not necessary. Quen can also be very helpful and the two of them together are very potent even with non sign builds. Even in heavy armor, unupgraded you can throw down yrden and a quen to give you a bit of room to breath if you're a bad. When wraiths teleport to you, they always do a 3 swing combo that is unblockable on a 1 pause 1 2 count, but you can short dodge in any direction twice to get avoid it and immediately counter attack.

Some of you might say "Why The Trend, this is simple when there is one, but when there are 2, or 3 or even FOUR? what what you do?" My friend I would recommend a short dodge twice and if baddies are still appearing a full roll back and reset. Once you have avoided their attacks out of the teleport you are should be able to get 3 fast attacks or 2 heavies then you need to doge away reapply or get to a place to do your signs and repeat.

Again wait for the teleport then short dodge back twice on a calm 1, 2 count. Counter attack.

I hope this spares some poor struggling goon his sanity

but what do you do when rolling gets you stuck into the baron, a piece of wood, or another wraith that's already attacking you while the camera is busy following Geralt pirouetting in the air

this is actually a pertinent question for all the fights in this game

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Kawabata posted:

but what do you do when rolling gets you stuck into the baron, a piece of wood, or another wraith that's already attacking you while the camera is busy following Geralt pirouetting in the air

There is plenty of jank in this game so I don't disbelieve this happens, but I have not really had that happen to me. I have been hit by lunging attacks that killed me when it probably shouldn't have, but in regards to wraiths this isn't usually an issue.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

my new dog posted:

oooh

ooooh

lol that is fuken pricey though, kill me if i ever buy those

Someone posted an imgur album with a gwent card sheet for printing earlier in this thread.

Although I assume it would become quite tiresome to keep track of the score manually once commander's horns, +1 support cards etc. come into play.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kawabata posted:

I mean, yeah there are times where a well executed dodge or roll will get you hung up on something but if it's happening in every fight for you, you may need to get better at the game. Figure out where you are. Rely on short dodges almost exclusively, and almost always to the side (not backwards). Actively parry instead of just blocking. While there is jank like TheTrend said, if you find yourself constantly getting surrounded, you're doing something wrong.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Spoiler about 1/2 way through. Loved the isle of mists environment.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kawabata posted:

Again, that's mostly for that particular fight. The second area there is one of the worst battle arena's in the game. It's not very fun to fight in.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Kawabata posted:

I think you're overstating how bad the controls are. They're pretty annoying at times but it doesn't make every fight unplayable like you seem to be implying.

Kawabata posted:

You sound retarded.

very mature

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kawabata posted:

Yes, that quest is significantly harder.
I assume the checkpoint is chosen deliberately to give players a chance to say "gently caress it, I'm killing this thing now" if they can't get over the hump of dealing with up to 5 wraiths at once.

Using the proper arsenal (Yrden, Oil and if you're lucky to have them, Moon Dust bombs) make the fight a lot easier. And don't worry about the botchling getting angry - this only happens after the wraiths are dead and can be defused by using Axii (Geralt even tells you to do that at the beginning of the event).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty bad opinion and you shouldn't be as defensive of it as you are.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, there are fights (particularly fistfights) indoors where the collision detection and the camera angles are absolutely abhorrent. In that fight however, you shouldn't be getting stuck on anything and the camera should be fine.
It sounds like you got rolled in that one mission and cracked the shits over it.

Don't Ever Dodge/Roll In One Direction.
Yrden Makes Wraiths History.
Lock-on In Groups Will Get You Annihilated.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

jaete posted:

Goddamn I hate it when I'm forced to do a quest. People have been saying that Triss goes away after her final quest Now or Never, and there are other side quests where you could use her help if she's still around, so I had been avoiding doing that final part.

Just now decided to do some of the lingering side quests, and why not do a Triss quest as well since it's not yet that final one. So I go to the masquerade, play a lot of gwent, fight some witch hunters, good times. Later go frolicking around in Philippa's lair and do some other fun stuff.

Doing all that I encounter one of these things where I could use Triss's help. Now it turns out that once you have the final Triss quest Now or Never in your quest log, you cannot actually choose to not do it. That quest will start automatically as soon as you get within 20 furlongs of Triss. So either you do that quest and then Triss leaves and gently caress you, or you reload an earlier save from before the previous quest in the chain and just put off doing that or any other Triss stuff ever until you've done everything else. What the Christ. :psyduck: A couple hours of questing wasted, I now need to reload since I don't want Triss leaving yet.

Mordiceius posted:

That's my problem right now. I'm just going to say gently caress it and give the gem to Radovid without talking to Triss or Yen. Hope it doesn't have major repercussions.

Ok let's clarify here. The statue quest is a 1 minute cutscene and 3-5 lines of dialogue per statue. There's no actual quest, that's it so don't worry about it.

The quest with the crystal does actually make a difference but that won't be evident until the end game, so it really does not matter when you turn it in. If you do give it to Radovid, I suspect you'll miss out on one of the better snarky companion quests at the end of the game.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
What is up with alternate signs?

90% of the time I sit there and hold Q for Axii and nothing happens but a vanilla Axii sign.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

90% of the time I sit there and hold Q for Axii and nothing happens but a vanilla Axii sign.

Axii's alternate mode is bugged, I've read. The others work, though.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Being new to the Witcher series and just started can I level playing the story missions or do I have to run all the alt missions too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah Alt Axii is bugged sometimes. By the way you don't need to hold it until the end for Alt Axii, you can just hold it for a sec and let go. Not sure if doing that affects the duration though.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Alright so I'm at the part in Witcher 2 where you decide what to do with henselt,

Anyone want to [spoiler] what it affects in witcher 3? :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orcrez posted:

Being new to the Witcher series and just started can I level playing the story missions or do I have to run all the alt missions too?
You get the vast majority of exp from story missions and Witcher contracts.

That said, most of the side quests are very well made, so I'd recommend checking them out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Alright so I'm at the part in Witcher 2 where you decide what to do with henselt,

Not much none of it matters too much except for the last choice.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Orcrez posted:

Some of the alt missions tie into the main story so you might miss out on certain storylines or plot options if you don't do them. Others are just stand alone stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TipsyMcStagger posted:

W3 gives such minor changes from your choices in W2 that it really doesn't make a big deal what you do.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Drifter posted:

W3 gives such minor changes from your choices in W2 that it really doesn't make a big deal what you do.

aww that's disappointing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Drifter posted:

Yeah, the only real major changes that pull in from W2 all happen in about the last 20 minutes of that game and at that it's basically all sidequest related. Everything else is ephemeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TipsyMcStagger posted:

aww that's disappointing.

Ehhh, it's such a done well story/game that you won't really feel disappointed, though. Just play Witcher 2 how you want to play it, since it's a really good game, too. For the record, ANOTHER king being murdered may not be the best thing in the world for the Witcher 2 kingdoms. But you're Geralt, so do what you gonna do. :ese::fiesta::black101:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 3, 2015