Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola is giving Atrix HD owners discounts on the new Moto X due to them not providing the promised KitKat upgrade.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-apologizes-atrix-hd-owners-lack-kitkat-update-offers-special-pricing-moto-x

What's interesting is I have to think this was AT&T's fault. The Atrix HD is a kissing cousin of the Droid Razr HD/HD MAXX and that DID get KitKat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Angry Fish posted:

E also has a slight battery edge. The camera on the E has fewer pixels, but takes nicer photos in lighted areas.

Is this vs a 3g 2014g or a 4g 2014 G?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Droid Turbo getting 5.1 June 10, according to rumors

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wasn't quite sure what thread to ask this in, so I figured I would start here...

At work we are going to be getting several Motorola ET1 Wifi only Android tablets. These tablets will be used to run 2 inventory scanning/information apps, possibly more in the future.

I would like some way to lock these down, synchronize settings, and possibly push app updates remotely.... Anyone know of something that would allow me to do this?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

I'll believe it when I get a soak invite.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Hi Android thread, I've come by to ask some advice about upgrading or not.

I've got a Nexus 5 (1.5 years old) that I'm fairly happy with, other than the small storage and lovely battery life. I have the option of going on a 2 year forced plan with my company and get the S6, at the cost of doubling my current monthly payment.

My question would be, is the N5 to S6 upgrade really worth it? Should I just wait out until something better comes along down the line? I could see myself holding out for at least another 6+ months if necessary. Anyone gone down this path before?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Not worth it. If you feel you can wait for 6 months, that's enough time for the rumored new Nexus 5 and 6s to come out. And you can try and grab one of those without doubling your monthly bill. The S6 is likely to be irritating to deal with when you're used to stock Android too. You can probably get over it, but just doesn't really seem worth it. You don't get a choice in device and it's doubling your bill.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Freezer posted:

Hi Android thread, I've come by to ask some advice about upgrading or not.

I've got a Nexus 5 (1.5 years old) that I'm fairly happy with, other than the small storage and lovely battery life. I have the option of going on a 2 year forced plan with my company and get the S6, at the cost of doubling my current monthly payment.

My question would be, is the N5 to S6 upgrade really worth it? Should I just wait out until something better comes along down the line? I could see myself holding out for at least another 6+ months if necessary. Anyone gone down this path before?

If you can wait 6+ months I'd just hold on, especially if it's gonna double your monthly payments. Given the changes coming with Android M, it's looking like the S6, Note 5, and probably the next Nexus will be the best choices going forward so might as well wait and see what each one brings.

The S6 would be a noticeable improvement over the N5, but the battery life won't be that significantly better.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I'll believe it when I get a soak invite.

Literally my response

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any YLLS goons in here that could tell me how getting these bigger phones in and out of your pockets is? I have a HTC sensation, and it looks like pretty much all new phones are slimmer, but wider and taller. I have a big butt, so most of my jeans are pretty close fitting there. Not skin tight, but enough that I try to avoid carrying too many cards or too much cash in my wallet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Front pockets for everything. Wallet and phone in one, keys in the other.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Goons how do I pants?

The N6 is lolhuge but unsurprisingly it fits in a front pocket just fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hooah posted:

Front pockets for everything. Wallet and phone in one, keys in the other.

Same except wallet and keys on the left and phone on the right.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Wow, can't believe how wrongly everyone is divvying up their possessions into their pockets

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow, can't believe how wrongly everyone is divvying up their possessions into their pockets

Okay then guy, how do you do it :colbert:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

are y'all wearing JNCOs? dang.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Goons how do I pants?

The N6 is lolhuge but unsurprisingly it fits in a front pocket just fine.

You've never experienced women's pants. Not even an iPhone 4 fits in them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How long is a piece of string - android edition

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Desk Lamp posted:

If you can wait 6+ months I'd just hold on, especially if it's gonna double your monthly payments. Given the changes coming with Android M, it's looking like the S6, Note 5, and probably the next Nexus will be the best choices going forward so might as well wait and see what each one brings.

The S6 would be a noticeable improvement over the N5, but the battery life won't be that significantly better.

Thanks for the advice to both of you. Will be milking that last bit of life out of thhe N5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

So close but wrong.

Wallet & fob in the right, phone in the left.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Skeezy posted:

The correct opinion.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Glad to see the nexus 6 is only $100 overpriced now

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RZA Encryption posted:

You've never experienced women's pants. Not even an iPhone 4 fits in them.

Purses. My wife is tiny and wears typical girl pants but isn't opposed to a ginormophone next time around after getting used to my n6. Things like Instagram pics look like garbage on her s4.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've had the Droid Turbo for a few months now and love it for the most part. However It doesn't work very well when connected via Bluetooth to my car audio. There are two specific issues.

1. Playing audio over Bluetooth sounds like poo poo. It stutters, had this weird robotic tone and is basically unusable. This is probably the more annoying of the two issues.

2. The second problem is that Moto voice command stuff doesn't work well at all when on Bluetooth. The prime example is that if I get a text and try to get it read to me the phone instead directs me into send text mode.

The car in question is a 2015 Mazda which uses the Mazda Connect system. I've done a decent amount of Google searching and haven't turned up much. The one suggestion I've tried was turning off WiFi in the car but that didn't help a bit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RVProfootballer posted:

Same

Keys front left
Phone front right
(very thing) wallet back right

e: thing!=thin

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2015

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Is it possible to upgrade an Android operating system on an old phone that is not on any cell phone network?

We have an old HTC Thunderbolt that we let our kids use to play games. However, it's got Android 2.4 or something. I can't find any obvious way to update the OS.

Do you have to have a cell phone network connection? Can I do it using wifi at home?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

vulturesrow posted:

I've had the Droid Turbo for a few months now and love it for the most part. However It doesn't work very well when connected via Bluetooth to my car audio. There are two specific issues.

1. Playing audio over Bluetooth sounds like poo poo. It stutters, had this weird robotic tone and is basically unusable. This is probably the more annoying of the two issues.

2. The second problem is that Moto voice command stuff doesn't work well at all when on Bluetooth. The prime example is that if I get a text and try to get it read to me the phone instead directs me into send text mode.

The car in question is a 2015 Mazda which uses the Mazda Connect system. I've done a decent amount of Google searching and haven't turned up much. The one suggestion I've tried was turning off WiFi in the car but that didn't help a bit.

Motorola phones have always had trouble with music for whatever reason. Google it, and you'll find people complaining about music stuttering and popping going back to the Droid X2 days. My Razr M also had trouble with stuttering and popping music from time to time.

Just Motorola being Motorola. Some things never change.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

The correct opinion.

:hfive:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

vulturesrow posted:

Interesting, my sister in law was just complaining of poor bluetooth audio as well. Mine works great. Wonder if they had a bad batch of devices; she's getting her replaced under warranty. How is your WiFi connection working? She seemed to also have some poo poo rear end WiFi connectivity, and her hotspot worked like poo poo too. Makes me wonder if it's some crap antennas.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

johnny sack posted:

Is it possible to upgrade an Android operating system on an old phone that is not on any cell phone network?

We have an old HTC Thunderbolt that we let our kids use to play games. However, it's got Android 2.4 or something. I can't find any obvious way to update the OS.

Do you have to have a cell phone network connection? Can I do it using wifi at home?

Android is made for devices without cellular radios, too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

drat, Motorola's Advance Exchange warranty service is pretty sweet. Since the warranty on my 2nd gen Moto G is up in about 3 months, I requested a replacement because of some slight discoloration/distortion on the display and screen ripple on touch due to screen tension I think—these 2 issues never really bothered me much but ehh, since the warranty is almost up, might as well ask for a like new device. I got a notification saying they sent out my replacement, overnight, and it'll be here tomorrow. Awesome. I guess the only thing that might put people off on Advance Exchange is Motorola puts a $99+tax security hold on your credit card for obvious reasons. I don't mind it though. I was totally expecting my replacement to take like 2-3 weeks just to ship for some reason, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 3, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ninmeister posted:

Interesting, my sister in law was just complaining of poor bluetooth audio as well. Mine works great. Wonder if they had a bad batch of devices; she's getting her replaced under warranty. How is your WiFi connection working? She seemed to also have some poo poo rear end WiFi connectivity, and her hotspot worked like poo poo too. Makes me wonder if it's some crap antennas.

WiFi works perfectly; haven't had any problems with it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How first world is it that I got my project fi invite but I refuse to use the nexus 6?

johnny sack posted:

Thunderbolt got ICS. Typically a carrier locked device needs to be on a active account to check for updates, but will then download over wifi. I used to manage a bunch of androids on verizon, and they'd never check over wifi.

Same thing with my carrier locked HTC one m7. Had to slip my sim in to check.

XT1053 STILL hasn't gotten lolipop

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 3, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've always gone wallet+keys on left, phone on right ever since I worked concert security in highschool. People tend to try to pick back pockets first, right front pocket next, and it's easier to grab a wrist with your dominant hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

incoherent posted:

How first world is it that I got my project fi invite but I refuse to use the nexus 6?

Thunderbolt got ICS. Typically a carrier locked device needs to be on a active account to check for updates, but will then download over wifi. I used to manage a bunch of androids on verizon, and they'd never check over wifi.

Same thing with my carrier locked HTC one m7. Had to slip my sim in to check.

XT1053 STILL hasn't gotten lolipop

Never had a problem at all pulling updates on unactivated Verizon devices. My spare Moto X just pulled a system update and it's never had a SIM in its slot before.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Cracked the loving screen on my Nexus 5 again. I'm SO buying one of Googles overpriced cases for my next phone.

It's still operational so I'm hoping I can just live with it instead of getting it repaired again. Is the next Nexus 5 still slated for an October release? Hoping I can last 4 months.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ilkhan posted:

Same

Keys front left
Phone front right
(very thing) wallet back right

This is a good post. Also pocket knife next to keys front left.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

xcore posted:

Cracked the loving screen on my Nexus 5 again. I'm SO buying one of Googles overpriced cases for my next phone.

It's still operational so I'm hoping I can just live with it instead of getting it repaired again. Is the next Nexus 5 still slated for an October release? Hoping I can last 4 months.

If it's like the previous Nexus models they should arrive to customers early November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nocal posted:

Android is made for devices without cellular radios, too.

Counterpoint: My unlocked AT&T Note 4 won't get updates without an active AT&T sim in it.