Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you pull out those platters and put them in a phonograph I'm sure you'd hear the computer's screams for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gilok posted:

Take all of your time off immediately, after sending a letter to your boss refusing to do helpdesk work, as you were hired as a sysadmin. If they don't have someone hired by the time you get back, simply do no helpdesk work. Let the tickets burn. If they fire you before you find something else, collect unemployment.

"Things that get you fired for reasons that get unemployment denied".

Yet another hardass internet statement that would never happen in real life.

MJP: disagreements about zeitgeist aside, I hope you find something good. What metro market are you in? The job thread is pretty active and maybe worth a shot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

Don't do this. Your notice is a formality to give them time to transition. If you just take vacation time all that time then you're basically giving 0 weeks notice.

If their response to "We need another IT guy, and we need him now" is "This is the pooch, if you'll excuse me, I'll be balls deep in a minute, please show yourself out", you really don't owe them poo poo. The two weeks notice is a courtesy, if they aren't treating you like a human being, then you owe them exactly poo poo and all once that offer letter is signed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Oddhair posted:

I don't even know how this happened, but yesterday I witnessed an entire Lync 2010 server farm disappear from AD. None of the servers had computer accounts in AD, AD replication was fine, nothing else untoward had happened. These server objects had existed since June of 2011, and two of them hadn't been touched in weeks. Luckily and against everything I know to be true Lync just kept on chugging, even after I locked myself out by logging out. I had to kick everyone off of Lync, remove and re-add each member server, the FE role also had a cert authority that had to be removed and another CA stood up before it could be removed from the domain.

Afterwards somehow everything still works after a re-certification on the FE, edge and management servers. No idea what the hell happened, but I'm pushing hard to get the functional level of said domain up past 2003 ASAP. I would have tried the netdom.exe approach if the server objects at least existed, but this just perplexed the hell out of me.

I would have I told my supervisor to immediately give me the company credit card and called Microsoft.

That's an extremely weird situation, did you try listing the servers in Powershell?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

That would require ADWS to be enabled on the non-2003 DC, which it is not.

It's looking like more work will be required, CSCP can't push changes back to AD, quoting 'insufficient access rights' even though I'm logged in as domain admin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

elcapjtk posted:

"HELP MY COMPUTER WON'T BOOT!!!!"

Gonna go with your hard drive being bad. (also sorry for the giant picture, it's beautiful in a horrible way)

I was about to ask why they were trying to use a record deck as a computer until I enlarged the picture.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

A ticket probably came in, but I couldn't tell you, because today at work my AD account expired. I was unable to access email or remedy allllll day. My boss and the HR lady who could fix such things were both out, and nobody else I could find managed to do anything. I did exactly dick-all today.

I'd be worried I was fired but I'm fairly confident based on recent events that I'm not.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Seriously, I don't give a gently caress that you are a director. You are the director of the DBAs, and henceforth not a server engineer. So please STFU during deep dive engineering calls with the IBM AIX TCP/IP kernel developers while I try to make sure our poo poo will work right when we go live, and be grateful we didn't shut you out when you asked to be included.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The GM has, apparently, unveiled his "Summer of Expectations" plan. Basically, department heads come up with major, novel changes and goals to accomplish by September.

A few heads have shared their plans with me for their departments.

My department head hasn't had a work-related conversation with me since the ticketing system talk.

I'm thinking the next stone to climb will be presenting the GM with my own Summer of Expectation plan.

That ought to be worth a few 'atta boys.'

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

The GM has, apparently, unveiled his "Summer of Expectations" plan. Basically, department heads come up with major, novel changes and goals to accomplish by September.

A few heads have shared their plans with me for their departments.

My department head hasn't had a work-related conversation with me since the ticketing system talk.

I'm thinking the next stone to climb will be presenting the GM with my own Summer of Expectation plan.

That ought to be worth a few 'atta boys.'

Watch out Icarus!

(But good luck, you might come out on top!)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dear Previous Sysadmin.

Thanks for setting every single server up with a 60GB C: drive. Your Foresight on this was truly amazing, especially when combined with the PRTG alerts for those servers set to trigger when they reach 10% or less disk space.

Thank you for also not installing Desktop Experience to make cleaning up the bloated WinSXS folder less of a pain in the rear end. Its not like taking 4-5 client facing, 99% uptime servers offline for an arbitrary update is a big deal.

Finally, your genius DVR system that requires more hands-on maintenance than a British car from the 60s is truly a blessing. There is nothing more satisfying than constantly juggling terabytes of data between hard disks to ensure we have 3 months worth of video recorded.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You must weigh installing desktop experience against the increase attack surface. I'm glad they backported the SxS fix from 2012, but it installs a lot of stuff on the server that's not needed. Personally i've yet to bump into SxS spacing in machines that are running for years.

I highly doubt this admin did this though, and next next next through installs years go.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Laserface posted:

Dear Previous Sysadmin.

Thanks for setting every single server up with a 60GB C: drive. Your Foresight on this was truly amazing, especially when combined with the PRTG alerts for those servers set to trigger when they reach 10% or less disk space.

Thank you for also not installing Desktop Experience to make cleaning up the bloated WinSXS folder less of a pain in the rear end. Its not like taking 4-5 client facing, 99% uptime servers offline for an arbitrary update is a big deal.

Finally, your genius DVR system that requires more hands-on maintenance than a British car from the 60s is truly a blessing. There is nothing more satisfying than constantly juggling terabytes of data between hard disks to ensure we have 3 months worth of video recorded.

I..I think we work at the same place :stare:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Laserface posted:

Dear Previous Sysadmin.

Are they Dells? Dell did this to the factory images of their servers for like a decade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Laserface posted:

Is there any good DVR system out there? They all seem terrible in every conceivable way.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Samsung DVR systems are less awful. I've got a POE camera network going and it works like a charm.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We have a bunch of coax cameras.

They record via lovely software to a 1TB drive on a windows 7 box. that data is backed up via shadow protect to a secondary 1TB drive.

then, The files from the secondary drive are Synced to another 1TB drive using AllwaySync. we then have to mount an iSCSI target and back up to the NAS, and then from the NAS to tape.

this is the same system at every one of our branches.

We just decided on a new system that is a Rack mounted NAS containing a 2x3TB in raid 1 that does incremental backups to a secondary drive and then purge any data older than 30 days.

We still have the lovely coax cameras and a win 7 box with the terrible software on the front end of things, but at least we wont get spammed with 500 PRTG tickets overnight.

incoherent posted:

You must weigh installing desktop experience against the increase attack surface. I'm glad they backported the SxS fix from 2012, but it installs a lot of stuff on the server that's not needed. Personally i've yet to bump into SxS spacing in machines that are running for years.

I highly doubt this admin did this though, and next next next through installs years go.

So how do we fix it without rebooting the server? thats all I care about.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

go3 posted:

she is airgapped from you

Don't worry, I brought a sniffer

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Laserface posted:

So how do we fix it without rebooting the server? thats all I care about.

Have you run dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup? I think that's the approved way to clean this up.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn251565.aspx

Also why are these disks not hot-expandable? Are these in fact physical servers for some reason?

Edit: for what it's worth my VM images have a 50 GB C drive, and in the past 2 years of using Server 2012 R2 images I've never had to increase a C drive's size. But I also religiously install any kind of program/data/whatever on a separate data volume. My Exchange servers all have 50 GB C drives and are using 30 GB of that, and have been for two years even with keeping them fully updated.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

Have you run dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup? I think that's the approved way to clean this up.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn251565.aspx

Also why are these disks not hot-expandable? Are these in fact physical servers for some reason?

Edit: for what it's worth my VM images have a 50 GB C drive, and in the past 2 years of using Server 2012 R2 images I've never had to increase a C drive's size. But I also religiously install any kind of program/data/whatever on a separate data volume. My Exchange servers all have 50 GB C drives and are using 30 GB of that, and have been for two years even with keeping them fully updated.

They very well might be, and they are likely to be VMs, but we are over provisioned as it is.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well last day I have to deal with this guy. :yotj:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

just increase the limit, then nobody will receive anything!

high six
Feb 6, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

just increase the limit, then nobody will receive anything!

Had the same problem with a law office at the last place I worked. Apparently they love sending giant pdfs around. I recommended that they just use dropbox and send links but they said that they couldn't do that, so, my boss made me jack the limit on their 0365 accounts for attachments up to 150mb. Then they got mad that no one's email would actually receive the files...

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

We have no limits for filesize in email messages, but users only have 50mb inboxes. This makes for extreme comedy when random principal sends a 50+ mb PDF to everyone in their school.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gilok posted:

I was unable to access...remedy allllll day.

You lucky dog, you.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

high six posted:

Had the same problem with a law office at the last place I worked. Apparently they love sending giant pdfs around. I recommended that they just use dropbox and send links but they said that they couldn't do that, so, my boss made me jack the limit on their 0365 accounts for attachments up to 150mb. Then they got mad that no one's email would actually receive the files...

Just do what the law firm I used to work at did with all of their German and Japanese clients and use faxes instead!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Renegret posted:

You lucky dog, you.

I'm on Day 2 of not being able to do anything now.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So they are talking about getting a new ticketing system. Spiceworks came up. Should I be praying that's the one that wins?

high six
Feb 6, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just do what the law firm I used to work at did with all of their German and Japanese clients and use faxes instead!

Oh god.

Remote troubleshooting printers blows. I can't imagine how bad doing the same with faxes is.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

RadicalR posted:

So they are talking about getting a new ticketing system. Spiceworks came up. Should I be praying that's the one that wins?

I prefer Jira (if it's set up properly), but Spiceworks is totally great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jira > Spiceworks.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gilok posted:

I'm on Day 2 of not being able to do anything now.

Just wait until vacation's over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Laserface posted:

Dear Previous Sysadmin.

I would be annoyed if they weren't smaller by default. Making gigantic virtual c: drives by default can be just really bad planning. I find it is better to keep the c: drives small and use secondary drives to store large amounts of data. That way you have more flexible options down the line if you need to change something or move servers around.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

m.hache posted:

Well last day I have to deal with this guy. :yotj:

I just had this literal conversation with a salesperson. Trying to email a 23MB file and the client isn't receiving it.

:downs: He says everything's working on his end, so the problem is us and it's probably because of ya'll messing with the internet yesterday.
:v: Well, a lot of email providers won't accept anything over 20MB, so that's probably the issue.
:downs: We've never never had this problem before.
:v: I don't know what to tell you. The invoices you've been sending before this were probably smaller than 20MB.
:downs: Well that explanation isn't gonna work! I've got to get this file to him RIGHT NOW and if you hadn't messed up the internet it'd be working.
:v: It doesn't have anything to do with what we did yesterday. We'll just have to find a way to shrink the file or find another way to get it to the client.
:downs: Then loving figure it out cause I'm tired of this poo poo always hap-

I hung up on her.

She's always been really nice to me, but I'm not dealing with her lovely "sunny day friends" attitude. If she wants to approach the situation calmly I'll be glad to help her, but I'm not going to get talked down to like that. :fuckoff:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: He says everything's working on his end, so the problem is us and it's probably because of ya'll messing with the internet yesterday.

Ah yes, the classic it was working fine until you messed with it argument. Seems like that causes my blood to boil more quickly than other end user shenanigans. It's one of the main reasons I don't do side work for individuals now. Yes I'm sure your virus ridden computer with the hair of three cat's embedded deep inside it was fit as a loving fiddle until I had the audacity to uninstall WeatherBug and CrazyCouponLady-DevilOverlord toolbar.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Don't do this. Your notice is a formality to give them time to transition. If you just take vacation time all that time then you're basically giving 0 weeks notice.

If I quit they won't pay out accumulated vacation time. Might as well use it, come back, give notice immediately, and probably get walked out the door then and there.

Gilok posted:

Take all of your time off immediately, after sending a letter to your boss refusing to do helpdesk work, as you were hired as a sysadmin. If they don't have someone hired by the time you get back, simply do no helpdesk work. Let the tickets burn. If they fire you before you find something else, collect unemployment.

That's on or close to termination for cause, which would shoot down unemployment, most likely. It could probably be construed as insubordination.

I honestly couldn't care less about letting the place burn as of yesterday - now I just need to know how to cover my rear end as I YotJ.

evol262 posted:

"Things that get you fired for reasons that get unemployment denied".

Yet another hardass internet statement that would never happen in real life.

MJP: disagreements about zeitgeist aside, I hope you find something good. What metro market are you in? The job thread is pretty active and maybe worth a shot.

We agree again! So much for the act 1 rivalry build-up. You wanna be Danny Glover or Mel Gibson?

I'm in northern NJ, but my train line sucks and the bus is unreliable, with the bus terminal a crumbling mess of cattle chute departure areas. Port Authority Bus Terminal isn't purgatory, it's probably at least level 3 or 4 of Hell. I'm driving from Union to Rutherford, which is doable and tolerable, and if at all possible I want to stay in Jersey. Still, I wouldn't mind working in Manhattan again.

Basically I'm looking at anything near Penn Station/Port Authority if I must, or accessible from A/C/E/1/2/3 subway lines, both of which are direct from either major hub. I'm also opening myself up to downtown, Jersey City or WTC if near PATH. At least the PATH options are just the one transfer at Newark. Hoboken is doable but that becomes a third transfer.

We shall see. I've taken it upon myself to spend my downtime applying. The local Chamber of Commerce executive director does cover letter revamps and did an awesome job on mine. It's longer than normal but involves critical points and quick summaries that I can change up easily to meet the description/industry as needed. Plus an Indian recruiter spam actually had a relevant position for once ever, $110k for the same stuff I do now in Jersey. Who knows?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If their response to "We need another IT guy, and we need him now" is "This is the pooch, if you'll excuse me, I'll be balls deep in a minute, please show yourself out", you really don't owe them poo poo. The two weeks notice is a courtesy, if they aren't treating you like a human being, then you owe them exactly poo poo and all once that offer letter is signed.

To be fair, the original plan once they termed the helpdesk guy was to re-hire. Then the CFO put the kibosh to evaluate whether a junior-level HD guy could fill the role (because the experience with the incompetent junior-level guy didn't teach them jack-poo poo) and yesterday I get the word that the CEO doesn't even think the position is necessary. We're in week 7 of the situation.

I've definitely shifted my opinion and have abandoned all trust. I'm going to be leaving just as we are slated to move offices in two months. Two Klingon quotes apply: "Revenge is a dish best served cold" and "a thousand throats can be cut in one night by a running man." #internetbadass

Edit: phone interview scheduled for Friday, 7 AM - the manager is in the UK. They're a quantitative analytics firm downtown and apparently the only quant/poll firm to correctly call the UK elections. It's a lateral responsibility move and a longer commute, with some dangerously helpdesk-looking responsibilities. "Desktop PC upgrades and deployments," and "The company has very few 'users' and most are developers, researchers or IT literate, so the time spent on 'user' problems is minimal" with the recruiter replying to my concerns with "My assumption is that, as this person takes on the role, the other employee will be leaving. He was in charge of setting up stations for new employees etc. This may fall on this persons lap."

Friday's a tech screening so we'll see what happens. I am very iffy and was hoping to hold out for a vertical move if at all possible.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Dumb question since it keeps comiong up. "YOTJ" = ??
I'm guessing "...off the job", but can't figure out the Y.
...and after typing this I'm wondering if its YOLO off the job, but that seems dumb even for goons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ilkhan posted:

...and after typing this I'm wondering if its YOLO off the job, but that seems dumb even for goons.

you're on the jive

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ilkhan posted:

Year of the Job. It originated a while ago when there was a span of lots of people getting nice improvements in their jobs in quick succession, and turned more into a mindset/catchprhase thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
yuengling on the job. :cheers:

• Locked thread