Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Orcrez posted:

Being new to the Witcher series and just started can I level playing the story missions or do I have to run all the alt missions too?

You will have plenty of XP and levels from doing mostly the main quests, if you decide to skip out on side quests that won't really hurt your progression much.

However, I think the most outstanding aspect of this overall great game is the world building and character interactions. Every bit of dialogue is voiced and surprisingly well-animated, none of the side quests are boring "collect 5 bear asses and kill 3 wraiths" type stuff. I felt like I was doing quests because they were fun or I sympathized (or hated) the quest giver, not mainly for advancement. Other than the level requirements on crafted Witcher gear, your character level doesn't really matter that much.

Basically for questing you just gotta enjoy the ride and don't worry about the rewards. Most of the time it's a few gold and a small amount of XP and maybe an item that is way inferior to your crafted gear sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want to let these poor trolls throw rocks at Lambert til he's dead. I hate this guy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Macaluso posted:

I want to let these poor trolls throw rocks at Lambert til he's dead. I hate this guy.

Just get him drunk and you'll like him more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kawabata posted:

For all the good one can say about the game, holy poo poo, combat is appallingly bad. Terrible collision, Geralt and the monsters getting stuck more often than not, weird animations, etc. Camera and locking mechanics are also a total failure: you can't lock on anything when you're facing 5-6 mobs at the same time (most encounters), which means fights are basically this weird ballet of you and the monster hitting the air while not facing each other. Coming from Bloodborne I decided to play Wild Hunt at the highest difficulty but some quests are so badly designed I kind of regret it.

The Baron one for example: once you find the Botchling, for some arbitrary reason you can't save for 20 loving minutes and you repeatedly get attacked by the most annoying mobs, Wraiths. Since this part of the quest wasn't stupid enough, you also need to kill them quickly too, otherwise the Botchling gets angry.

What the gently caress CDPR.

Lol another "I'm good at Bloodborne, so I should be able to put Witcher 3 on hardest difficulty and if a fight is hard, it's the game's fault!"

Did you know there's a hard lock-on feature? Tap the stick in the direction you want to attack when you attack and Geralt will attack the enemy in that direction. Wticher 3's camera controls aren't great but you aren't the first mongoloid barging into the thread with exactly this raging attitude and talking poo poo about how you're so good at Bloodborne. [that any problems you have in the Witcher are just the game being bad] The game is easy if you play it the way it tells you to play it.

Also you have a way out of that quest if it's too hard for you. On the hardest difficulty setting. Jesus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ok let's clarify here. The statue quest is a 1 minute cutscene and 3-5 lines of dialogue per statue. There's no actual quest, that's it so don't worry about it.

The quest with the crystal does actually make a difference but that won't be evident until the end game, so it really does not matter when you turn it in. If you do give it to Radovid, I suspect you'll miss out on one of the better snarky companion quests at the end of the game.

Yeah, I just said gently caress it, went to Radovid and lied and told him I had nothing, he was pissed. The end. It doesn't matter though cause that fucker will be dead soon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Has anyone binged themselves into a burn out state yet? I have. Made it to Skellige, got the master level tools from Undvirk and tried to kill the royal griffin. Now I'm just too tired to play it. It's become something like a second job where going to every ? In Velen is a huge boring slog of fights worth zero XP.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ice Fist posted:

This is objectively false thanks to what we discover about certain Witcher school during the game.

#notallcatschoolwitchers

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Has anyone binged themselves into a burn out state yet? I have. Made it to Skellige, got the master level tools from Undvirk and tried to kill the royal griffin. Now I'm just too tired to play it. It's become something like a second job where going to every ? In Velen is a huge boring slog of fights worth zero XP.

Yeah. I'm taking a break now, just having made it to Skellige, and am playing other things as a break while occasionally hopping back in to do a quest/some POIs. I'm not burnt out because I'm bored though, it's just a daunting amount of content.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty bad opinion and you shouldn't be as defensive of it as you are.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, there are fights (particularly fistfights) indoors where the collision detection and the camera angles are absolutely abhorrent. In that fight however, you shouldn't be getting stuck on anything and the camera should be fine.
It sounds like you got rolled in that one mission and cracked the shits over it.

Don't Ever Dodge/Roll In One Direction.
Yrden Makes Wraiths History.
Lock-on In Groups Will Get You Annihilated.

actually theres a lot of barrels and poo poo you can get caught on in that fight especially if youre rolling all over the place.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol another "I'm good at Bloodborne, so I should be able to put Witcher 3 on hardest difficulty and if a fight is hard, it's the game's fault!"

Did you know there's a hard lock-on feature? Tap the stick in the direction you want to attack when you attack and Geralt will attack the enemy in that direction. Wticher 3's camera controls aren't great but you aren't the first mongoloid barging into the thread with exactly this raging attitude and talking poo poo about how you're so good at Bloodborne. [that any problems you have in the Witcher are just the game being bad] The game is easy if you play it the way it tells you to play it.

Also you have a way out of that quest if it's too hard for you. On the hardest difficulty setting. Jesus.

To be fair though, that particular fight is a huge ballbuster that brings out a lot of the worst in the game's combat. It's much harder than any fights you've had previously (or since, at least for me so far) and you're fighting one of the biggest early game rear end in a top hat opponents in an arena cluttered with low obstacles that are impassable in combat mode and royally gently caress with your movement. Fighting multiple Wraiths is also a huge pain in the rear end in general if you're reliant on Yrden. If you're up against just one opponent like Jenny you can just be steadfast about making her come to you in the circle, but against a group of bad guys teleporting behind you you have to keep moving far too much to be picky about your ground. In addition to being a significant difficulty spike, it takes place early enough in the game that you may not have found or even know about any of the better anti-Wraith tools in the game, with a checkpoint that is early enough to make you sit through a bunch of dialogue and an extra fight but after you are locked into the quest so you don't have a chance to go "oh poo poo I need to go gain three levels and find the moon dust recipe and get a new sword". For my part, I didn't make any particular effort to rush the main story and did the quest at an appropriate level, but I didn't have Moon Dust yet and was still using the starting silver sword because the game doesn't really do anything to point you at an upgrade that early. It probably took me a dozen tries over two days and one ragequit to beat it.

Two tough fights plus cutscenes gated behind a checkpoint that is still too late to go back and do additional prepwork on top of that awful arena is definitely one of the biggest cliffs in the game.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Just finished the game, despite small nitpicks this game will likely go down in history as one of the greatest RPG's made, CD-Projekt has with this game legitimately blew me away and I think they will become one of the big dogs of the (modern) Western RPG's alongside Bethesda and Bioware. I really liked Inquisition and this game utterly blew it away, Bethesda are lucky they are announcing a fallout game because I have a hard time picturing Elder Scrolls being nearly as good.

End Game Spoilers / Thoughts

At the end I disliked how Avellach seemingly betrays you and its a little wonky, but whatever thats alright doesn't break the game for me. I liked Ciri facing her destiny and it works better than the books where she was supposed to have squicky incest babies to save the world. This makes it less creepy and I think works better narratively and makes Ciri more than just a broodmare. The White frost I take less as her going to fight it and more she is using her powers to insulate the worlds against the ice magic stuff which seems to seep into worlds and freeze them, I think it works alright. Finally the epilogue was nice to wander the starting area and reminisce and the end with Ciri was nice and sad, I think it resonates for people growing up and leaving their parents behind to start their own lives/kids growing up and moving away. I didn't want to do the threesome ending where Triss/Yen leave ,but I got the end where Geralt continues to wander the world, occasionally dropping by and hanging out with Dandelion.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iCe-CuBe. posted:

actually theres a lot of barrels and poo poo you can get caught on in that fight especially if youre rolling all over the place.

I had a lot of issues with that fight when I was just trying to roll and igni EVERYTHING, once dodge became the reflex button and Yrden became the strategy it all started to work out.

The instinctive reflex to roll instead of whatever the dodge button normally is is really strong and the move itself doesn't actually help. Yrden is a different one because its use is so niche, but if you use Yrden right you can take the teleporting attack and tell it to get hosed (when they actually do the move they move slow enough that you can get in a staggering attack, only need a quick attack, which stops the move).
Bombs and potions help, but not so much with Wraiths (Wraith Oil is good in this case though).

Also you can get to that quest at something like level 7 or 8 (even 10, 11 if you're fastidious with side quests) if you do the Crones first and then the fight becomes sort of trivial.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Two tough fights plus cutscenes gated behind a checkpoint that is still too late to go back and do additional prepwork on top of that awful arena is definitely one of the biggest cliffs in the game.

Are we talking about the same wraith fight here where you're slowly walking back to the fortress? Because uh, I found wraiths to be one of the easier opponents in the game, since they go corporeal after their teleport that they telegraph for a good 5 seconds. Just apply spectre oil and beat the poo poo out of them. I'm not sure where people were getting 5 wraiths either - I only had 2 and 3 spawn, with 1 more 1 spawning when 1 died, so if I chased down the respawn quick I was -1 wraith to dodge. I didn't even know Yrden did anything to wraiths normally, heh. Quen is usually what I used, plus Swallow/thunderbolt to burst them down faster. This is on Death March of course.

Coming from Dark Souls 2 (since I'm an Awful PC Person that doesn't have Bloodborne), the combat is very different in that you can't roll out of everything and you can get staggerlocked super easily. I think the biggest change I had to make was not engaging in a fight with multiple enemies and trusting my roll, since it feels like even in Dark Souls, enemies hang back slightly if one is engaging you, plus almost no enemies have dodge moves whereas a good 50% of Witcher enemies do (drowner leap back, wolf jump away are the biggest ones I see mostly) so for Witcher combat it feels like I have to get the enemies "lined up" and get them to all blow their leap attack or whatever at once, then roll away and come back in swinging while they're still recovering. Bonus is though if they're lined up well, 1 sword swing hits more than 1 at once.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who was that lady in Av's lab anyway? Also where is this barber and taxidermy quest?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Voyager I posted:

To be fair though, that particular fight is a huge ballbuster that brings out a lot of the worst in the game's combat. It's much harder than any fights you've had previously (or since, at least for me so far) and you're fighting one of the biggest early game rear end in a top hat opponents in an arena cluttered with low obstacles that are impassable in combat mode and royally gently caress with your movement. Fighting multiple Wraiths is also a huge pain in the rear end in general if you're reliant on Yrden. If you're up against just one opponent like Jenny you can just be steadfast about making her come to you in the circle, but against a group of bad guys teleporting behind you you have to keep moving far too much to be picky about your ground. In addition to being a significant difficulty spike, it takes place early enough in the game that you may not have found or even know about any of the better anti-Wraith tools in the game, with a checkpoint that is early enough to make you sit through a bunch of dialogue and an extra fight but after you are locked into the quest so you don't have a chance to go "oh poo poo I need to go gain three levels and find the moon dust recipe and get a new sword". For my part, I didn't make any particular effort to rush the main story and did the quest at an appropriate level, but I didn't have Moon Dust yet and was still using the starting silver sword because the game doesn't really do anything to point you at an upgrade that early. It probably took me a dozen tries over two days and one ragequit to beat it.

That fight was easy as gently caress on Death March though :confused:. The only way it could be difficult is if you're playing on Death March and you're blitzing through the main story so you end up being low level. Even then though, if you actually used your potions it's still probably pretty easy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I can't wait till you bads get to the lighthouse in Skellige :allears:

Yrden is 100% unnecessary for non boss wraiths btw, even if they're incorpeal you'll still do good damage and after a hit or to they become solid again. Also listen to the game. I have fought and killed many monsters without vision because this game is so audio rich.

Other pro wraith fighting tips.

1. Use fast attacks. Wraiths are easily staggered and attack slowly. So it's often more effective to interrupt them than dodge.

2. When a wraith disapears, quick dodge toward their last position, then attack where you were. You will hit the wraith, interrupting it's attack.

In general interrupts rule because they do bonus damage.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What runestones do you guys throw in your weapons?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really like the freeze runes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Comrade Flynn posted:

Freeze, burn, bleed. Effects seem to be king.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Burning and poison and bleed on silver swords because Dot effects scale to hp.

Armor piercing and stun on steel. Burning is still fun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Bleed, Burn, Freeze and Stagger seem really good. Possibly Aard and Igni intensity as a combat build. Obviously Bleed is pointless if you're using a Fast Attack build though, ditto with Burn and a sign build.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Lambert is a whiny little bitch.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Burning and poison and bleed on silver swords because Dot effects scale to hp.

Armor piercing and stun on steel. Burning is still fun.

Might want to consider bleed on steel since humans and animals have almost no resistance to it whereas a handful of monsters are completely immune.

It never matters.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hmm, where can you buy the greater runestone recipes?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Lambert is a whiny little bitch.

Accurate

he has some good lines though

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nasgate posted:

I can't wait till you bads get to the lighthouse in Skellige :allears:

I beat the game and wraiths never once killed me. I think its a fighting style thing. I had zero issues with wraiths, any flying monsters, werewolves, and most humans but gently caress me sideways those goddamn golems, gargoyles, and elementals were a bitch. If it was big and slow I had to loving work for it. Everything else my hyper aggressive style combined with liberal short dodge was more than sufficient.

I pretty much pick an enemy to focus on until one of the other mobs hits/almost hits me and then I back up and refresh.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 3, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

When are they going to fix the armorer/blacksmith/barber/etc map markers disappearing randomly, that would be cool.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Apparently there's a bunch of bug fixes and poo poo in 1.05, we'll see what's still broken after that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Woozy posted:

Might want to consider bleed on steel since humans and animals have almost no resistance to it whereas a handful of monsters are completely immune.

It never matters.

I think there isn't a single thing you'd use steel sword for with enough HP that DoT matters. It's probably best to put freeze/stagger chance runes on it so humans don't parry so much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ok let's clarify here. The statue quest is a 1 minute cutscene and 3-5 lines of dialogue per statue. There's no actual quest, that's it so don't worry about it.

The quest with the crystal does actually make a difference but that won't be evident until the end game, so it really does not matter when you turn it in. If you do give it to Radovid, I suspect you'll miss out on one of the better snarky companion quests at the end of the game.

drat. When I was doing that quest, I was in a spot where Triss was unavailable before Now or Never and I hadn't started skellige yet so I couldn't ask Yen so I had to give it to Radovid. I hate missing out on stuff based on quest progression "errors".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azazell0 posted:

drat. When I was doing that quest, I was in a spot where Triss was unavailable before Now or Never and I hadn't started skellige yet so I couldn't ask Yen so I had to give it to Radovid. I hate missing out on stuff based on quest progression "errors".

If it isn't failed, it isn't failed. You can finish it later in the storyline.

Edit: Oh, you already gave it to Radovid? Ah well, better luck next time.
Truth be told though, you're not missing out on much.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just when I think this game can't get any better I end up having a snowball fight with Ciri :allears:
I think that was one of the most adorable things I've ever done in a game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Just when I think this game can't get any better I end up having a snowball fight with Ciri :allears:
I think that was one of the most adorable things I've ever done in a game.

I don't know, man. Bangin' Triss in an elven ruin in Witcher 2 was pretty tight.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

ShadowMar posted:

When are they going to fix the armorer/blacksmith/barber/etc map markers disappearing randomly, that would be cool.

As far as I know it's not intended behavior, but they don't disappear randomly - they disappear when the merchant in question doesn't have business hours. I guess meditation is a workaround for that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

crossposting

I found a secret consumable item in Witcher 3: :burger::burger:Hamburger!:burger::burger:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

I don't know, man. Bangin' Triss in an elven ruin in Witcher 2 was pretty tight.

I feel like we have very different definitions for the word adorable

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just finished the Witcher 2 this morning so I thought I'd give this thread a read from the start while 3 downloaded. Still not sure if that was a terrible mistake or invaluable life lesson. Good news is it's finished downloading and is a lot of fun so far. Just curious if there are any settings I should definitely kill on a mid-highish(but not great) PC. Don't really care about the shinies all that much.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Turn off hairworks, reduce vegetation and grass detail.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Just finished the Witcher 2 this morning so I thought I'd give this thread a read from the start while 3 downloaded. Still not sure if that was a terrible mistake or invaluable life lesson. Good news is it's finished downloading and is a lot of fun so far. Just curious if there are any settings I should definitely kill on a mid-highish(but not great) PC. Don't really care about the shinies all that much.

Keep hairworks disabled and you should be good to have mostly everything on high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
loving hell i hope witcher 3 doesn't have bullshit fights like "Operator" in witcher 2. It wouldn't be such a bad fight if you weren't in a really lovely room with these loving pillars that get you caught while rolling.