Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys - Metro IE once I set it up works excellent

Any tips on reducing battery drain? I've read about turning the volume all the way down before letting it sit since the speaker driver is a resource hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm doing a factory reset on my Surface Pro 3 and it's been going now for 35 minutes. It's been at the screen that says Surface with the little spinny thing now for about 30 minutes. Is this normal?

Edit:

After waiting for nearly an hour, I hard reset the tablet. Upon rebooting, I was stuck in a loop where I was notified that the installation had failed and I had to restart. Booting into the UEFI, I disabled all of the Secure Boot options, rebooted, got the error again, and then re-enabled all of the Secure Boot options. After this, the installation finished in about 5 minutes.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 23, 2015

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Been test driving a Surface 3 for the last couple weeks. 128/4GB model w/ keyboard.

Impressions:
    PROS:
  • Form factor is just about perfect. Feels nice and compact in tablet mode, but there's enough real estate to get work done in laptop mode. Hits a great sweet spot. I will say though, if the screen were any smaller, I would have a hard time using it as a laptop.
  • It's really light. Like, astonishingly light.
  • Battery life was not an issue for me. My primary use case was doing some proofreading/editing for 3-4 hours at a time, and some idle web surfing/youtubing on the couch or in bed. I never had it die in my hands, but the battery would get uncomfortably low near the end of the day.
  • New York Times Crossword app is just the best thing ever for this device.
  • Was able to play some lightweight/older games on low settings at a perfectly playable framerate. Granted, I really only tried Fallout 3 and The Wolf Among Us, but they were extremely playable. I loved being able to plug in an XBOX controller and output the video to my TV. Like having a portable mini console!

CONS:
  • Charging takes FOREVER. At 15% or so, I would plug it in at midnight, check it at 8 AM, and it wouldn't be up to 100% yet. I've been reading that it charges faster if you turn it off completely, or if you use a more powerful charger (though I swear the official MS charger is 2.5A, which should be plenty). If I was using it while plugged in, it seemed like the charger barely kept up with my usage. Granted, it's a standard micro USB port, so it certainly helps that you can top off with any standard USB charger you have lying around. But if you work away from your desk a lot, or you don't want to be tethered to an outlet while doing stuff around the house, you might run into some frustration.
  • While performance was overall pretty snappy, there was noticeable lag while scrolling web pages in tablet mode. It could be that I was using Chrome instead of IE? I'm not sure.
  • The keyboard is frustratingly expensive. Sure, it's "optional", but how many people buying a Surface are NOT going to need the keyboard? Technically you don't need it, but, come on... you need it.
  • Speaking of the keyboard, the trackpad on the type cover is... not the best. It would miss clicks, and I would often find myself running out of vertical room. Obviously I could always use a mouse, but considering the fact that the keyboard is a whopping $130 -- upping the price of the $499 base model to $629 (30% more than the tablet alone!) -- I would expect it to have a top notch trackpad.

So, bottom line, I like it a lot, but I think I'm returning it tomorrow. My initial impressions went from "this is perfect for my needs!" to "this is just enough for my needs!", to "boy, I wish I had juuust a little bit more power, or a little bit more battery, etc." In other words, I mostly loved using it, but it just made me want more.

It's possible I just wanted an ultrabook all along, but I really do love the tablet functionality. So, while I still think the Surface 3 is a very impressive device, I think I'm going to wait for the Surface Pro 4 later this year.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Argyle posted:

Been test driving a Surface 3 for the last couple weeks. 128/4GB model w/ keyboard.

Impressions:
    PROS:
  • Form factor is just about perfect. Feels nice and compact in tablet mode, but there's enough real estate to get work done in laptop mode. Hits a great sweet spot. I will say though, if the screen were any smaller, I would have a hard time using it as a laptop.
  • It's really light. Like, astonishingly light.
  • Battery life was not an issue for me. My primary use case was doing some proofreading/editing for 3-4 hours at a time, and some idle web surfing/youtubing on the couch or in bed. I never had it die in my hands, but the battery would get uncomfortably low near the end of the day.
  • New York Times Crossword app is just the best thing ever for this device.
  • Was able to play some lightweight/older games on low settings at a perfectly playable framerate. Granted, I really only tried Fallout 3 and The Wolf Among Us, but they were extremely playable. I loved being able to plug in an XBOX controller and output the video to my TV. Like having a portable mini console!

CONS:
    [b]Charging takes FOREVER. At 15% or so, I would plug it in at midnight, check it at 8 AM, and it wouldn't be up to 100% yet. I've been reading that it charges faster if you turn it off completely, or if you use a more powerful charger (though I swear the official MS charger is 2.5A, which should be plenty). If I was using it while plugged in, it seemed like the charger barely kept up with my usage. Granted, it's a standard micro USB port, so it certainly helps that you can top off with any standard USB charger you have lying around. But if you work away from your desk a lot, or you don't want to be tethered to an outlet while doing stuff around the house, you might run into some frustration.
    [b]While performance was overall pretty snappy, there was noticeable lag while scrolling web pages in tablet mode. It could be that I was using Chrome instead of IE? I'm not sure.
    [b]The keyboard is frustratingly expensive. Sure, it's "optional", but how many people buying a Surface are NOT going to need the keyboard? Technically you don't need it, but, come on... you need it.
    [b]Speaking of the keyboard, the trackpad on the type cover is... not the best. It would miss clicks, and I would often find myself running out of vertical room. Obviously I could always use a mouse, but considering the fact that the keyboard is a whopping $130 -- upping the price of the $499 base model to $629 (30% more than the tablet alone!) -- I would expect it to have a top notch trackpad.

So, bottom line, I like it a lot, but I think I'm returning it tomorrow. My initial impressions went from "this is perfect for my needs!" to "this is just enough for my needs!", to "boy, I wish I had juuust a little bit more power, or a little bit more battery, etc." In other words, I mostly loved using it, but it just made me want more.

It's possible I just wanted an ultrabook all along, but I really do love the tablet functionality. So, while I still think the Surface 3 is a very impressive device, I think I'm going to wait for the Surface Pro 4 later this year.

Have you tried a convertible ultrabook, like the Yoga?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Have you tried a convertible ultrabook, like the Yoga?

I definitely gave the Yogas a good long look, and I'll do that again once the SP4 hits the shelves. I wasn't a huge fan of how the Yoga felt in my hands in tablet mode, while the Surface was kind of an automatic "Ah, yes, this feels right."

Basically, I was looking to replace my aging Macbook Pro and my old Nexus 10, and the Surface 3 was definitely very, very close to what I wanted. I have a feeling I'll be much happier going with a SP4 in a few months.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Argyle posted:

CONS:
[*]While performance was overall pretty snappy, there was noticeable lag while scrolling web pages in tablet mode. It could be that I was using Chrome instead of IE? I'm not sure.

Yeah, people always ask this and Chrome is always the problem. It's a pig compared to metro IE.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Argyle posted:

I definitely gave the Yogas a good long look, and I'll do that again once the SP4 hits the shelves. I wasn't a huge fan of how the Yoga felt in my hands in tablet mode, while the Surface was kind of an automatic "Ah, yes, this feels right."

I agree. The Yogas and similar exist on a continuum with laptops, tablet-laptops, and tablets - basically, I think the Yoga-ish products are 75% laptop, and the Surface is 75% tablet. They can each do the other thing, but not as well as a product meant more for that usage.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Argyle posted:

CONS:
[*]Charging takes FOREVER. At 15% or so, I would plug it in at midnight, check it at 8 AM, and it wouldn't be up to 100% yet. I've been reading that it charges faster if you turn it off completely, or if you use a more powerful charger (though I swear the official MS charger is 2.5A, which should be plenty). If I was using it while plugged in, it seemed like the charger barely kept up with my usage. Granted, it's a standard micro USB port, so it certainly helps that you can top off with any standard USB charger you have lying around. But if you work away from your desk a lot, or you don't want to be tethered to an outlet while doing stuff around the house, you might run into some frustration.

Did you try swapping cables? A bad cable is going to give you bad speeds, regardless of what your charger and device is rated for. Try this article for recommendations if you need to buy a new one.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, people always ask this and Chrome is always the problem. It's a pig compared to metro IE.

Now that you mention it, I remember that from my days owning a Surface Pro 1. Shame that it's still an issue, since I like using Chrome due to being married to so many Google services. Also, it's too bad that IE only works in Metro mode if it's set as the default browser. I never quite understood that.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I agree. The Yogas and similar exist on a continuum with laptops, tablet-laptops, and tablets - basically, I think the Yoga-ish products are 75% laptop, and the Surface is 75% tablet. They can each do the other thing, but not as well as a product meant more for that usage.

Right. The more I think about it, a Yoga might be more to my liking. Surface would be ideal if I was a heavy OneNote user, or needed a tablet just to reference documents and mark them up with the pen, but so much of my job depends on text editing that I'd be in laptop mode 99% of the time anyway. Most of my "true tablet" usage is done at home, just browsing the web and doing crosswords on the couch or in bed. For that, I'm sure I could get used to Yoga's folded-laptop feel.

isndl posted:

Did you try swapping cables? A bad cable is going to give you bad speeds, regardless of what your charger and device is rated for. Try this article for recommendations if you need to buy a new one.

I was using the included Surface 3 charger. It didn't cross my mind to try anything else. I did just pick up a QuickCharge 2.0 charger, so I wonder if that would have made a difference. Even though I don't think the Surface 3 is officially a Qualcomm(TM) QuickCharge(TM) rated device.

Even though I returned it, I would still recommend the Surface 3 as one of the best 2-in-1 devices on the market.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Argyle posted:

For that, I'm sure I could get used to Yoga's folded-laptop feel.

The Yoga 3 Pro is 2.62lbs which is almost double the weight of the Surface 3 (1.36lb). Just something to consider.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Fatal posted:

The Yoga 3 Pro is 2.62lbs which is almost double the weight of the Surface 3 (1.36lb). Just something to consider.

Woof. Welp, guess I'm definitely waiting to check out the SP4's this year.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Argyle posted:

Woof. Welp, guess I'm definitely waiting to check out the SP4's this year.

Can't wait for this thing! SP3 looks really nice but at a year old chassis with a 2 year old processor, it's very hard to justify the cost right now. Way things are going, I really hope they release it before the end of July so I can snag one before I leave the states.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You guys should probably just buy now rather than potentially creating a vaporware effect for yourselves. Keep in mind that processor age isn't terribly relevant now even with Intel steadily improving their raw and per-watt performance. Hell, my desktop CPU is four years old and it's still competitive with the best i7's out there and overclocks better.

If you really need a new machine now, it's not like the Surface Pro 3 is going to grind to a halt with a new OS like iDevices do.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Fatal posted:

Can't wait for this thing! SP3 looks really nice but at a year old chassis with a 2 year old processor, it's very hard to justify the cost right now. Way things are going, I really hope they release it before the end of July so I can snag one before I leave the states.

SP4 looks like it might have less raw CPU performance thanks to a fanless design and more aggressive thermal throttling to compensate. The graphics chip will likely be improved, though again you're going to be limited by the thermals.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Surface Pro 2 is already faster on average than the Pro 3. A year isn't enough time to make a Core M Pro 4 faster than even the Pro 3.

I'm sure the battery life of the Pro 4 will be spectacular, but I use mine at work quite extensively and I've never dropped below 50% on my Pro 3.

Plus cowboom is clearing out preowned Pro 3s for $600 or less, which is a great deal.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They're definitely trying harder to improve the Surface line's utility as a tablet than its utility as an ultrabook.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

isndl posted:

SP4 looks like it might have less raw CPU performance thanks to a fanless design and more aggressive thermal throttling to compensate. The graphics chip will likely be improved, though again you're going to be limited by the thermals.

It's going to be interesting, but it's not that easy to guess performance right now. Core M performance can fall way short of Core M performance depending on chassis. Sustained load has a lot to do with the device it's in and chosen TDP. The ASUS zenbook with a Core M way outperforms a Dell Venue with a higher binned chip in long runs, for example. If they use the body as a big heatsink and allow some heat it could perform well, but it's more likely it'll perform quite well in short tasks but longer tasks it'll suffer a bit. It depends on what you need whether that matters or not. I wouldn't edit video, and I'd be tempted to use another machine for long test runs of programs, but there's a lot of workloads where bursty performance is right.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That makes sense. If you want an ultrabook there are machines out there with far better keyboards and overall hardware for competitive prices. The only thing the Surface Pro 3 has going for it over a real ultrabook is the screen ratio but it's still too small.

If Dell made a new XPS 15 with a 16:10 panel and the XPS 13's trackpad I'd replace my current one and it's not even two years old.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That too. The surface isn't an ultrabook, it isn't a convertible in the sense that the foldable laptops are, so its niche is getting pushed over farther towards an actually capable tablet than it was when it started. I'd be cross-shopping a Lenovo LaVie pretty hard against an SP2, but an SP4 as described is much more distinct, and doesn't have real competition without a gutted feature set. It might not be what I'm looking for though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

isndl posted:

Aren't the SP4s going to use Broadwells with lower clock speeds but better TDPs? Doesn't seem like the SP4s are going to push that much power.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Aren't the SP4s going to use Broadwells with lower clock speeds but better TDPs? Doesn't seem like the SP4s are going to push that much power.

If that ends up being Core M, Core M is a bit of a strange beast. For example, a 5Y10 can beat a higher clocked 5Y71 in some benchmarks if it's in a chassis that dissipates heat better.

Its performance relative to other CPUs depends very strongly on the sort of task.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, the impression I have gotten is that the Core M performs pretty much exactly as well as the thermal design performs (since it clocks high and is a nice competent core, only it is not expected to keep clocking high due to heat), if Microsoft does a really good job on the cooling on the SP4 I would not fear for performance too much.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
They're probably going to try going fanless though, so I don't see high sustained clockspeeds without the chassis getting uncomfortably hot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

They're probably going to try going fanless though, so I don't see high sustained clockspeeds without the chassis getting uncomfortably hot.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do have a core M SKU. That things made to be fast at bursty workloads. Should be responsive if not super powerful. Kind of hoping there's going to be a ULV i7 and or i5 SKU as well.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So with Dell Outlet's memorial day sale, I can get a Venue 11 Pro (i5-4300, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD) for $389. Worthy upgrade from a SP1?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shumagorath posted:

And thermal throttling as bad as the SP3s did.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I picked up a Surface 3 a couple weeks ago. As a former Surface Pro 2 and current Surface Pro 3 owner I thought I'd post my impressions.

(also, if you have a Microsoft Store nearby and an older Surface, they will still do the trade in deal for you, even unlisted ones - they gave me $350 for my SP2 256gb which was as good as the going rate on Craigslist and far less sketchy).

I got the 128/4gb 3. I've been using my SP3 for almost a year now, got it at launch, and been pretty happy with it, but I helped sell my company to a Borg collective last year and they gave me a standard issue Lenovo laptop (the 450, which isn't half bad actually). Since I'm not going to carry that thing and an SP3 around airports every week, but don't want to give up the on whole Surface experience/switch back to a smaller Android/iOS tablet, I thought I'd give the S3 a try. With the trade in it was cheap.

Random notes:

That it is slower than the SP3 is no surprise but this device is a case study in why going off benchmarks alone doesn't tell the whole story: Day to day it "feels" about the same to me. Office applications are snappy, browsing is snappy, stuff like Plex media center works just as well, etc. Obviously everyone's use case is going to be different and if you try to push outside the envelope - video encoding, larger Photoshop projects, etc. - you're going to notice but day to day I haven't really run in to a situation where I've thought "crap, I wish I had the SP3".

The one exception for me would be VS2013, which I have tried a couple of times on the S3 - one of my medium-sized C++ projects takes more than twice as long to build (about 10 minutes longer). Still, I can build it, which is something I can't do on iOS or Android, and in any case I have my Lenovo for actual development work.

I get that the eMMC storage is slower but I'd have to run a benchmark test to know it or transfer a lot of files, etc. because for what I normally use it for it doesn't make a difference.

I love how light it is. The SP3 is amazingly light and thin for how powerful it is. The S3 is just light and thin, period.

Battery life is decent but not mind blowing - it'll last a coast to coast flight and make it to check in at the hotel, I learned last week, which is decent enough, though my SP3 can do that too. I spent about a third of the flight working on Visio and Powerpoint poo poo and the rest watching movies in Plex. Also some email since the flight had (lovely) WiFi.

It does take a long while to recharge. I do appreciate that the adapter it comes with is also very small/portable (and does a nice job charging phones) but I'm going to look around and see if I can find a stronger option within the limits of micro-USB.

I held out for a day this time around and didn't buy the keyboard, then gave in. I hate buying these overpriced things, I don't care what Microsoft says, they are pretty much required addons for the Surface line and they are priced at least $40 USD too high for what you get in my opinion. At least it doesn't suck like the SP1/2 version did (the trackpad, though smaller than the SP3 version, is still miles ahead of the Type Cover 1/2).

The 3 position kickstand vs. the SP3: I actually prefer the 3 position. It's easier to pop in to position and just deal with in general, and the angles you get work well. I'm 6'3 and had no problem with it on a plane.

The big weakness, as always, is not the hardware - it is top notch, just like the SP3, even the screen is still fantastic - but the software experience outside of the Windows desktop. The Microsoft Store and its crappy tablet-optimized app selection remains the achilles heel of the Surface line and Windows portables in general. "Metro" IE only takes you so far - the argument that the browser does everything you need in tablet mode for Windows is getting tired, it doesn't - but I was already used to this and accept the trade offs.

I suspect for a lot of people the S3 would do just fine as a primary device. It also does a good job filling the secondary role for people like me who have a regular full-featured laptop and want an iPad without having to deal with iOS (which has a superior tablet ecosystem but its own set of restrictions and tradeoffs).

I have found it a lot easier to travel with, even over the SP3, in fact for some trips I'll probably ditch my work laptop and just carry it, as long as there is decent internet and I can VPN where I'm going. At the very least I can put the Lenovo in my larger carry on and just keep the S3 in my seat bag like a regular tablet.

Looking forward to Windows 10. I've been testing the latest fast ring builds on the SP3 and it still has a ways to go as far as being tablet friendly but it is definitely getting there as of the latest release this week. The better Windows tablet experience gets the more valuable something like the S3 becomes. At least Universal apps are finally getting some traction after years of discussion too, we may actually have a near-perfect device in a year or two.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So uhh does anyone else here use the ComiXology app? I just tried loading it up for the first time since upgrading to Win10, and I'm guessing the option to view your collection was a bottom-of-the-screen context-menu button on Win8, which unless I'm missing something is not really doable on Win10. I have no idea how to actually read my comics :confused:

e: right-click or Win+Z, I figured it out :downs: Win10 doesn't bring up menus when you swipe from the bottom anymore (that is now reserved for the taskbar), but other methods of getting them still work apparently!

loquacius fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 1, 2015

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Ixian posted:

The one exception for me would be VS2013, which I have tried a couple of times on the S3 - one of my medium-sized C++ projects takes more than twice as long to build (about 10 minutes longer). Still, I can build it, which is something I can't do on iOS or Android, and in any case I have my Lenovo for actual development work.

That's really interesting. Most of my apps are small (2 seconds to compile on my SP1) so maybe the S3 would do fine on them.

Can you tell me please -- can you enable Hyper-V on your S3? I'm curious if I'll be able to run phone emulators on it, for phone app development.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hi ASUS

quote:

ASUS Transformer Book T100HA is the successor to the best-selling Transformer Book T100TA 2-in-1, and combines the power of a stylish 10.1-inch laptop with the convenience of a super-slim tablet. This new iteration has up to 14 hours of battery life, and has an ultra-thin 8.45mm chassis that weights just 580g. It has a metallic finish and is available in Silk White, Tin Grey, Aqua Blue and Rouge Pink.

The T100HA is powered by a choice of quad-core Intel® Atom™ ‘Cherry Trail’ X5 series processors, and has 4GB RAM and a USB Type-C port. This device comes pre-installed with Windows 10 and will be available in the third quarter of 2015.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 1, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

That's a huge loving bezel

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Win 10: July 29. Apparently you can "reserve" it to flag your machine for pre-loading, with the option to cancel if you want even after preloading. No mention yet of whether you can clean install off a free upgrade.

isndl
May 2, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

That's a huge loving bezel

It turns out bezels are pretty good for holding a tablet by the edge.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a t200, the 12" version. and I rather like the bezel because it not only allows more space to hold it when used as a tablet, but also allows for a more spacious and usable keyboard.

I like it a lot.

Needs are suited.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

isndl posted:

It turns out bezels are pretty good for holding a tablet by the edge.

I'm posting from a tablet with comparatively small bezels without any issues

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Finally got around to replacing my Surface Pro 3 due to the fuzzy yellow line on the left hand side of the screen. I had purchased it last year on 6/24, so I needed to act while it was still under warranty.

My local mall has a Microsoft kiosk and they were happy to swap it out for me even though I orignally bought it at Microsoft. That's really nice. It was pretty painless and I was out of there in 20 minutes or so.

My original SP3 had a lot of 1422 whereas this one is 1513. So, my original was built in late May of 2014 whereas this on was late March of 2015. Hopefully in that intervening year they worked out all the quirks and I won't have to worry about a recurrence of the screen problem.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Ixian posted:

Looking forward to Windows 10. I've been testing the latest fast ring builds on the SP3 and it still has a ways to go as far as being tablet friendly but it is definitely getting there as of the latest release this week. The better Windows tablet experience gets the more valuable something like the S3 becomes.

Curious if you've tried build 10130 yet in tablet mode (with the new "back" button in the taskbar)? When you say it "has a ways to go" what examples do you have in mind?

I've been using it in tablet mode for a bit. It hasn't quite "clicked" but I'm hard-pressed to articulate exactly why...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

Curious if you've tried build 10130 yet in tablet mode (with the new "back" button in the taskbar)? When you say it "has a ways to go" what examples do you have in mind?

Are there any API docs for how that back button behaves? Because I have the back button wired up for the phone version, but I don't know how to do it for the desktop one, and I can't find anything on MSDN. Right now it does nothing on tablets in my apps.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

Are there any API docs for how that back button behaves? Because I have the back button wired up for the phone version, but I don't know how to do it for the desktop one, and I can't find anything on MSDN. Right now it does nothing on tablets in my apps.

You won't find anything on MSDN since the back button was only introduced in build 10130 last week. Here's a little bit of docs that someone wrote up:
http://sharpgis.net/post/2015/05/21/Displaying-a-backbutton-in-your-app-window

(1) The back button is shown automatically in Win10.Mobile, and also in Tablet mode on Win10.Desktop. If you want it also shown in windowed mode in your application's title-bar on Win10.Desktop, then do
code:
SystemNavigationManager.GetForCurrentView().AppViewBackButtonVisibility = AppViewBackButtonVisibility.Visible;
(2) To handle all cases of the back button (in Win10.Desktop Tablet mode, in Win10.Desktop windowed mode title-bar button, and in Win10.Mobile) you hook up this:
code:
SystemNavigationManager.GetForCurrentView().BackRequested += (s, e) => {...}
Incidentally, a lot of places on the web show you hooking up the Phone buttons as in the code below. This used to be required in earlier Win10 builds but is now bad practice because there's no reason to do it. If you do hook it up and leave it unhandled, then the fallback behavior is simply to fire that common BackRequested event from step (2). Incidentally, despite the name, this Win10.Mobile-specific API handles both hardware phone buttons and also software back buttons on those devices that don't have hardware buttons (like my Lumia635).
code:
if (Windows.Foundation.Metadata.ApiInformation.IsTypePresent("Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons"))
{
       Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons.BackPressed += (s, e) => {...}
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Everything I see about win 10 just looks like an absolute disaster for tablets. Its like Microsoft is trying to go back to their mid 2000's 'tablets' that just ran windows with maybe a popup on screen keyboard but otherwise was a clunky desktop interface where it didn't belong. Wasn't this what 8 was trying to fix? why in gods name does tablet mode in 10 have an obnoxious desktop taskbar on screen, eliminate the great charms stuff to easily access WiFi, volume and stuff instead of trying to poke at the same tiny icons on the taskbar that have been there since xp.

• Locked thread