Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nordick posted:

Just finished seeing Blind Guardian in Helsinki. As if the crowd wasn't amped enough from the start, after like the second or third song Hansi announced they were recording the show and that we're gonna be on their next live album. I'm pretty sure pieces of the venue's roof are still raining down somewhere.

Jesus firebleeding christ that was an incredible gig.

I haven't really been able to get into any of their albums after A Night at the Opera, but they're still a phenomenal live band. They're playing here in November and I already have my tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just liked that they had a singer with a ridiculously high voice who was really named "Pipes"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Weaponized Cum posted:

Saw em once and they ruled, that was before their singer hosed his vocal chords or whatever.

~metal~

I saw them open up for the black dahlia murder a long time ago and thought they were going to be a really lame core band but when they were doing sound check the lead singer did a high pitched wail and I knew then I was in for a treat. Welp that's my story.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I found this song today and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtDGw5VeP2E

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Optimum Gulps posted:

Are we really going to do this poo poo again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2F3XNwVUeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMOWMMyFmo
and most of Kayo Dot's output
also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExtLHTGMYx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cro2yxRjw

That's just what immediately came to mind.

Avant garde doesn't mean 'metal but with weird stuff in it'.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Spanish Manlove posted:

I saw them open up for the black dahlia murder a long time ago and thought they were going to be a really lame core band but when they were doing sound check the lead singer did a high pitched wail and I knew then I was in for a treat. Welp that's my story.

Great story because I went to see the same tour. It was great, lineup was 3 Inches Of Blood, Hate Eternal and Decrepit Birth.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

A human heart posted:

Avant garde doesn't mean 'metal but with weird stuff in it'.

Actual definition of avant-garde: "favoring or introducing experimental or unusual ideas."

So uh... how would you describe "avant-garde metal"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I saw 3 Inches of Blood open for Cradle of Filth once and 3 Inches of Blood was actually really good

Thanks for listening all

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been annoying my brother by narrating my life out loud to the tune of Deadly Sinners for the last hour. RIP crazy awesome metal band.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dammit. I really wanted to see them live. "Deadly Sinners" and "Juno" in concert would've been kickass. R.I.P. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

I've been annoying my brother by narrating my life out loud to the tune of Deadly Sinners for the last hour. RIP crazy awesome metal band.

One of the more fun songs to do ridiculous poo poo to in Saints Row 2

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Actual definition of avant-garde: "favoring or introducing experimental or unusual ideas."

Not sure this is exactly what A human heart is trying to say, but here's my understanding:

Avant-garde metal isn't actually avant-garde in the sense of doing something without precedent in music. All of the things that are avant-garde within the context of metal are things that have been done before, either in art music or in various rock subgenres (Gorguts took a lot of inspiration from noise rock, lots of the "avant-garde metal" bands are inspired by Frank Zappa, John Zorn and Mr. Bungle among others). I mean, take Jute Gyte - I'm not aware of many musicians in any genre who use a combination of microtonality, serialism and tone clusters the way he does. But all the things he's doing, while they might be really out there, can be traced back to innovators like Arnold Schoenberg, Harry Partch, and Leo Ornstein. Ornstein may have been "avant-garde" for introducing tone clusters, and Stockhausen may have been "avant-garde" for his innovations in electronic music, but people building on those ideas are, by definition, not avant-garde.

I still think "avant-garde metal" is a useful term even if "avant-garde" isn't technically being used correctly. It's the most common term used to describe eclectic and unique metallic music, and it's useful for categorizing that (very much real) trend.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ_pm7R22Q

Hey guys is this avant-gard metal? I need to know if I'm allowed to like it. TIA.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I liked using the term "post-black metal" to describe all those bands like Ulver who started out metal and then went flying off sideways into weirdness, but now people use that term to describe burzum clones who have a little shoegaze mixed in, so I don't think it applies anymore

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

That's a great dictionary definition, but avant garde in practice refers to pretty specific kinds of music. I wouldn't describe avant garde metal because it doesn't exist, avant garde is a term that could be used to refer to things like a Xenakis composition, or some EAI or some of the more out there forms of free jazz, in the specific context of the time and place they were created in. Nothing that comes from such a well defined genre framework as metal can be avant garde. I'd be hesitant to describe any rock music that way. Possibly some of the RIO or Krautrock bands of the 70s could have called avant garde, but even then I don't think I would use that term.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Not sure this is exactly what A human heart is trying to say, but here's my understanding:

Avant-garde metal isn't actually avant-garde in the sense of doing something without precedent in music. All of the things that are avant-garde within the context of metal are things that have been done before, either in art music or in various rock subgenres (Gorguts took a lot of inspiration from noise rock, lots of the "avant-garde metal" bands are inspired by Frank Zappa, John Zorn and Mr. Bungle among others). I mean, take Jute Gyte - I'm not aware of many musicians in any genre who use a combination of microtonality, serialism and tone clusters the way he does. But all the things he's doing, while they might be really out there, can be traced back to innovators like Arnold Schoenberg, Harry Partch, and Leo Ornstein. Ornstein may have been "avant-garde" for introducing tone clusters, and Stockhausen may have been "avant-garde" for his innovations in electronic music, but people building on those ideas are, by definition, not avant-garde.

I still think "avant-garde metal" is a useful term even if "avant-garde" isn't technically being used correctly. It's the most common term used to describe eclectic and unique metallic music, and it's useful for categorizing that (very much real) trend.

This is broadly speaking what I was getting at, although I disagree that it's a useful term. It's a stupid usage of a term that doesn't make any sense applied to metal, and the fact that it's gotten so much usage has always reinforced in my mind the idea that many metalheads simply don't have any idea of music(or art in general perhaps) outside of metal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ_pm7R22Q

Hey guys is this avant-gard metal? I need to know if I'm allowed to like it. TIA.
Obviously this is a joke post but I haven't been talking about liking the stuff that gets called avant garde, I personally don't care for a lot of it because I think it often misses the point of what I look for in metal, but it's fine to like it, I just take issue when avant garde is used to describe it. The majority of cool music isn't what you would call avant garde at all, and that's fine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hey guys the first 2 "3 Inches of blood" album are good and then the cool guy left. Cool eh?

Their one offshoot band Pride Tiger threw together a Thin Lizzy worship band that was pretty good too. Then they broke up after that.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I haven't really been able to get into any of their albums after A Night at the Opera, but they're still a phenomenal live band. They're playing here in November and I already have my tickets.
Yeah I haven't either. And they played a bit more of the newer stuff than I woulda preferred, but on the other hand those were a good time to have a break from all the yelling so I didn't collapse. :v: And it's understandable too if they're making a new live album out of it.

Also the good songs totally made up for it, so I'm not really complaining. Had an amazing time and my voice is pretty shattered.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Random clicking around youtube led me to this album.

The vocals are ridiculous but you know what, I feel the energy and I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C21-0jN-kA

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I like how thier EP was titled "Speed Metal Satan", their first full length was "Speed Metal Slaughter" and then split-up after their next, "Speed Metal Sentence".

EDIT: RIP Necro-Nudist

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Sort of forgot about this, but a few years ago the guitarist from Nocturnal Fear (and formerly of Angry Aryans) showed up on that "reality" pawn show that is in Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvm1gHQDHm0

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sort of forgot about this, but a few years ago the guitarist from Nocturnal Fear (and formerly of Angry Aryans) showed up on that "reality" pawn show that is in Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvm1gHQDHm0

Oh man, Nocturnal Fear. I saw them open for Immolation at Blondie's a few years ago. The music was fun but you could just tell that they're a bunch of the dumbest people in the world. That show also featured some girl casually calling the parking attendant a friend of the family and expecting me to agree because he said she looked like Avril Lavigne. Hooray, Downriver types! (sorry if you are from downriver, CRIP EATIN BREAD).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

A human heart posted:

avant garde metal because it doesn't exist

So basically you're just upset that people are referring to something called "avant garde metal", which you say is not actually a thing?

I completely disagree with this, and with your opinion that "avant garde" refers to one specific style or movement, but I'd rather the thread get back to talking about metal so I'll cut it out on that note.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's the same problem as prog where a band comes along and adds a bunch of outside influences to a genre in a new and interesting way, they get labled "progressive," a million bands do essentially the same thing and start describing themselves as progressive, and then Prog (or Avant Garde) just becomes another sub genre with distinctive stylistic hallmarks, like thrash or doom.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh man, Nocturnal Fear. I saw them open for Immolation at Blondie's a few years ago. The music was fun but you could just tell that they're a bunch of the dumbest people in the world. That show also featured some girl casually calling the parking attendant a friend of the family and expecting me to agree because he said she looked like Avril Lavigne. Hooray, Downriver types! (sorry if you are from downriver, CRIP EATIN BREAD).

nah oakland county. gently caress downriver.

i saw nocturnal fear play at the 2500 club and also TNTs and they put on a good show. a friend of a friend introduced me to chris and he had all his swastika tattoos covered but his crucified skinhead tattoo on his chest is still pretty visible. i know they kicked their old vocalist out for being a junkie or some poo poo.

they're all dumb as hell, but they're good live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nah oakland county. gently caress downriver.

Bougie suburbia :respek:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

This is broadly speaking what I was getting at, although I disagree that it's a useful term. It's a stupid usage of a term that doesn't make any sense applied to metal, and the fact that it's gotten so much usage has always reinforced in my mind the idea that many metalheads simply don't have any idea of music(or art in general perhaps) outside of metal.

Eh, I see it as meaning "avant-garde within a metal context". Given that metal tends to be a restrictive format, bands adding in stuff like serialism (Ehnahre, Sculptured), microtones (Jute Gyte), noise rock influence (Gorguts, Voivod), improvisational structure (Pan.Thy.Monium), or harsh industrial experimentation like O.L.D., are new to most listeners and most definitely something that hasn't been combined with metal before. True, a lot of stuff labeled as avant-garde really isn't in any sense, like Diablo Swing Orchestra or whatever - and in that case it's being misapplied. But for stuff which is avant-garde by metal contexts, it's a valid term to use. I mean, what alternative is there, "experimental metal"? That's even more laughably vague.

Hulk Krogan posted:

and then Prog (or Avant Garde) just becomes another sub genre with distinctive stylistic hallmarks, like thrash or doom.

Yeah. Lots of "prog rock", especially modern throwback stuff like Spock's Beard or what have you, isn't really progressive, but it's still better to call it prog rock for the simple reason that there isn't a better term that describes the general style - sort of like the use of the term IDM. Genre terms are more of a descriptive thing, labelling general trends and attributes, than they are a prescriptive thing.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2015

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I like how thier EP was titled "Speed Metal Satan", their first full length was "Speed Metal Slaughter" and then split-up after their next, "Speed Metal Sentence".

EDIT: RIP Necro-Nudist

Well of course, they were a "joke" band.

I mean it's basically guys from Dawn and Afflicted playing with the drummer of Utumno and singing about being anti-anything-but-metal. Which of course means the music is decent, because all those bands utterly loving slay.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah. Lots of "prog rock", especially modern throwback stuff like Spock's Beard or what have you, isn't really progressive, but it's still better to call it prog rock for the simple reason that there isn't a better term that describes the general style - sort of like the use of the term IDM. Genre terms are more of a descriptive thing, labelling general trends and attributes, than they are a prescriptive thing.
The labels are weirdly anachronistic anyway. What was progressive in the 1970s isn't progressive anymore, so why do we still call those bands progressive in 2015? If a band from 1970 is still making music today, like King Crimson or Yes, do we stop calling them progressive rock even though they still play the same style of music they've always played? Why do we refer to "futurism" when we talk about an art style influenced by things that were new and exciting over 100 years ago?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We had this discussion in the prog thread a while ago and I'll say it again: "progressive" in my interpretation refers to the song structure, not actually moving music forward.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I completely disagree with this, and with your opinion that "avant garde" refers to one specific style or movement,

That's not an opinion I have, I gave some examples of avant garde music to show that referring to any metal by the same term is ridiculous.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So anyways the new Leprous is really good. I guess it's progressive metal? I don't know. But it's good.

Also got my tickets for BG and GD in NYC! Who else is going?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
http://fullterrorassault.com/

So this is a thing coming up. Pretty good line-up overall, but I can't help but chuckle at the fact that it's called "Full Terror Assault" and it takes place on 9/11.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it's where Gathering of the Juggalos used to be.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV7Et9d7I2E

Speed metal. Somewhat thrashy and a bit blackened. Good poo poo.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

So this is a thing coming up. Pretty good line-up overall, but I can't help but chuckle at the fact that it's called "Full Terror Assault" and it takes place on 9/11.

Well, arguing against Patriots who find the date & name offensive should be a nice change to Christians who find metal offensive & satanist.

Nordick posted:

I find the levels a bit hosed up on the vocals but that's pretty cool.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nordick posted:

In fact, why the gently caress can't I buy a digital version of their album? At least I could listen to more than one of their tracks.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Been thinking about going to this. It's a pretty rad lineup, plus it's BYOB which will be a nice change from paying $6 for a Natty Bo at MDF.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I think someone already mentioned it but the Absconditus album is out now and its good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK0qv99cb4

More than anything else it makes me think of Stargazer, and a little Deathspell Omega.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

dxt posted:

Been thinking about going to this. It's a pretty rad lineup, plus it's BYOB which will be a nice change from paying $6 for a Natty Bo at MDF.
The BYOB thing is weird to me, I'd think that's a huge portion of the potential profits and while it's nice as an attendee not paying a lot for alcohol, it makes me wonder about the business acumen of the people running the festival and by extension how well-organized it'll be/how likely it is to happen again in the future. The buy-one-get-one-free on 3 day passes seems like a red flag too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

het posted:

The BYOB thing is weird to me, I'd think that's a huge portion of the potential profits and while it's nice as an attendee not paying a lot for alcohol, it makes me wonder about the business acumen of the people running the festival and by extension how well-organized it'll be/how likely it is to happen again in the future. The buy-one-get-one-free on 3 day passes seems like a red flag too.
It's unlikely that they got any kind of funding for this venture without presenting a business model to whoever's fronting the money. More likely this is a longer-term venture, and they want to pack the place and build a following for subsequent years, then try to monetize it later.

e: probably a liquor law thing too, Illinois is weird

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 5, 2015