Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would say the tens of millions is based on adding up views over the season, international streaming viewers, or both.

The one disappointment for me was the one pitch (I think Frankies?) that had music that sounded just like the Pushing Daisies intro and I thought for a moment it was going to parody that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Best finale of the series. Good ending.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I can see a "movie" happening on Yahoo screen. Basicly a 4 part episode.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The finale felt weird to me since the entire season was composed of one-off goofball gimmick episodes and then it's like "oh yeah there was an ongoing plot and there was a Jeff and Annie thing maybe? That was a thing he wanted??" Like the season did everything possible to throw off the trappings of continuity and the finale wanted to wrap it all back up somehow. I dunno. It stuck out weird to me, but I still think it's a good capstone for the series.

Even if I don't get the whole Jeff/Annie relationship.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The silent shot of Jeff hugging Annie and Abed goodbye was sweet. I smiled seeing Shirley and Annie do their girly high five. I actually enjoyed the HarmonRant at the end, the Nielsen thing is super interesting. Oh and Paget's line about nailing it!

The pitches were kinda funny, but man, I wish they hadn't replayed the theme so many times.

The meta stuff was a little much for me, and kinda lost sight of the characterisation, but who even are the characters any more and who is left and what happened to the show and I don't even know what to think or if I should care and the show maybe knows that and and and...

Capntastic posted:

Yeahhhhh, that was a little weird. What happened at the end of season 5 again with the stupid computer that looked into Jeff's heart? Was he torn about Annie and Britta again, or was he all about Annie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked everything but Dan's movie opinions. We usually don't agree and that's cool. :v:

But that end tag and Justin Roliand, gently caress yeah.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Capntastic posted:

The finale felt weird to me since the entire season was composed of one-off goofball gimmick episodes and then it's like "oh yeah there was an ongoing plot and there was a Jeff and Annie thing maybe? That was a thing he wanted??" Like the season did everything possible to throw off the trappings of continuity and the finale wanted to wrap it all back up somehow. I dunno. It stuck out weird to me, but I still think it's a good capstone for the series.

I think that this is a show that's always been in a conversation with its fans, and this was as good a way of saying goodbye as any: Look, we could go on. Here's what it might look like. Here's some jokey ways, too. But is that really satisfying? Is it really comforting if everyone stays the same?

As for the Jeff-Annie stuff, as someone who does care for it, I think the conversation was again very meta. If you don't like Jeff-Annie stuff, then hey, this little part will bug you, but there's plenty else left in this episode so you'll get over it. But for the people who loved the Jeff-Annie stuff, Harmon had to give them something. Not them sleeping together, not everything they wanted, just a little farewell for some of the people who were (probably) the most passionate about the show. He wouldn't be able to live with himself as a writer if he didn't do that.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
drat.

quote:

"Dice not included. Some assembly required. Lines between perception, desire and reality may become blurred, redundant or interchangeable. Characters may hook up with no regard for your emotional investment. Some episodes too conceptual to be funny, some too funny to be immersive and some so immersive they still aren't funny. Consistency between seasons may vary. Viewers may be measured by a secretive, obsolete system based on selected participants keeping hand written journals of what they watch. Show may be cancelled and moved to the internet where it turns out tens of millions were watching the whole time. May not matter. Fake commercial may end with disclaimer gag which may descend into vain, Chuck Lorre-esque rant by narcissistic creator. Creator may be unstable. Therapist may have told creator this is not how you make yourself a good person. Life may pass by while we ignore and mistreat those close to us. Those close to us may be those watching. Those people may want to know I love them but I may be incapable of saying it. Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I took the kiss less as a Jeff/Annie thing, and more of a Jeff/stability thing. It's been shown that Jeff doesn't really like change (him being unable to deal with death when Pierce's mom died, the GI Joe episode, all those indications that he doesn't want anyone to leave, the fact he's never left Colorado, etc). Despite initially being the coolest person in the group because he was a fast talking lawyer, he is probably the least adventurous of anyone there. For him, it's possible that Annie just personifies a constant the most out of everyone in the group, since she's been the most grounded and normal and definitely the most emotionally and mentally stable, barring random immature outbursts. She's the one least likely to change drastically.

But she did, and I think the kiss was less Jeff thinking with his heart/penis, and more Jeff accepting that change can be a good thing, further reinforced by Jeff literally saying that he's glad that the group changed his life. Hell, even the character fo "Jeff" went from being the ostensible lead to just being part of an ensemble. Jeff changed from a character who just wanted to return to his old life to a character who has changed. He's okay with that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Very strong season finale. I think Season 7 is probably inevitable if only because I really don't think Yahoo went to the trouble of picking this up to make just the one season. Feels like it'd be a waste. But if Season 7 does come around it should absolutely for-certain be the end, and use that time to wrap up everyone's stories.

But anyway, very funny. I liked the "gently caress" during Britta's pitch, because of course her version of the show is a gritty cable drama. And after she was sorta neglected this season, Annie got some very good scenes and we got a sense of where she's been at this time (enjoying being a little immature for now but knowing she's gotta move on.)

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Very strong season finale. I think Season 7 is probably inevitable if only because I really don't think Yahoo went to the trouble of picking this up to make just the one season. Feels like it'd be a waste. But if Season 7 does come around it should absolutely for-certain be the end, and use that time to wrap up everyone's stories.

Season 7 should be the characters desperately trying to set up big, 'filmic' adventures outside of Greendale but never pulling it off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The finale seemed to be Dan Harmon arguing against a Season 7. Yahoo would probably have to pay him a lot more (in addition to the actors who are no longer under contract).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That deadpan "Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus" right after the breakdown was the hardest I laughed all year.

I loved the episode. I was kinda worried because the opening scene was terribly formulaic, but in retrospect that was probably entirely intentional.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Community, for five seasons, was a comedy show. Season four was considered the worst season because it was the shittiest and least funny. Season six just Goddamn stopped being funny halfway in and never got its jokes back. The finale to season six showed a whole bunch of possible versions of 'season seven,' none of which are even funny let alone comedies in their own rights.

Where the gently caress are the torches and pitchforks?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You've made 12 posts in 2.5 years and you chose this to be one of them?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
...I thought it was funny. Couldn't of been the only one.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

teamcharlie posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Community, for five seasons, was a comedy show. Season four was considered the worst season because it was the shittiest and least funny. Season six just Goddamn stopped being funny halfway in and never got its jokes back. The finale to season six showed a whole bunch of possible versions of 'season seven,' none of which are even funny let alone comedies in their own rights.

Where the gently caress are the torches and pitchforks?

Absuuuuurd reaction!

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I think I was just too dazzled by all the great mysteries to solve in season 7 to truly appreciate the wonders of the season 6 finale.

What will happen to Elroy working at non-funny real company Linkedin?
Does Frankie really go muff diving? Does she have a boyfriend? Is she a robot who plugs into the wall at night?
Does the Dean still have any function on the show aside from official comic foil?
Will Britta really move into Annie's room?

And I'll never forget great lines like "*Fart noise* And so on..." or that amazing kiss that Annie says she'll probably forget about in a little while anyway because she's in her 20s.

Truly the greatest season finale we've ever had. Season seven will happen, and it will prove once and for all that real fans have no need of your petty 'jokes.'

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Please go back to never posting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The finale seemed to be Dan Harmon arguing against a Season 7. Yahoo would probably have to pay him a lot more (in addition to the actors who are no longer under contract).

What about a Spinoff?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
You can tell it's a troll because he thought the front half of this series was better than the back half.

I'm glad Jeff/Annie is a thing because they're both pretty.

e: Also, these last episodes have been really good, I feel like they could carry on making funny ones on Yahoo but it's OK if they want to go out on a high. Personally, I think I'd rather they kept making ones until they weren't funny anymore, it's not like what The Simpsons became ruined the earlier seasons.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 3, 2015

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pick posted:

I unironically would have loved Britta's season 7.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Abed's bit about just letting TV be with you was great. While the earlier seasons were appointment television, this season being on Yahoo meant it was perfect as something I could throw on while I'm ironing shirts or making dinner or whatever. And that's totally fine. I hope they make more.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

XMNN posted:

You can tell it's a troll because he thought the front half of this series was better than the back half.

The best joke of the entire season was in the first episode.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
A surprisingly emotional and affecting final episode with some solid laughs. On the whole, I'd say the season was fairly average, but Jeff's repeated crisis of being the only one left at Greendale is really resonant with me at the moment. If this is how it ends, I'm pleased - although I thought the season three and four finales were more satisfying conclusions.

I'm surprised so many people posting in the past day or so bury the first season toward the bottom of the rankings. I consider it nearly flawless, and its structure kept me coming back when later seasons got progressively more ridiculous.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

GoutPatrol posted:

The best joke of the entire season was in the first episode.

I think you're mixing up episodes, because the Matt Besser tag was closer to the end

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Transmodiar posted:

I'm surprised so many people posting in the past day or so bury the first season toward the bottom of the rankings. I consider it nearly flawless, and its structure kept me coming back when later seasons got progressively more ridiculous.

A lot of the biggest fans of the first season probably stopped watching at some point as the show turned into self-parody.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I shouldn't have watched that at work because I teared up like a big baby. Perfect finale. Chang farting on "cool" #4 was so good.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Diggie posted:

I shouldn't have watched that at work because I teared up like a big baby. Perfect finale. Chang farting on "cool" #4 was so good.

Isn't this like the fifth tearful finale the show has had? Man the gently caress up already.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I have to agree. It wasn't that heartfelt or tear-jerking. I'm starting to think that people just say they teared up when in fact they just liked the episode. Either that or people cry at the drop of a hat.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The best joke of the season was the Dean comparing his sexuality to a magician's endless handkerchief.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't this like the fifth tearful finale the show has had? Man the gently caress up already.

It's harder because every season finale could be the series finale and I can't take that, man.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Really I don't think you can ride the #sixseasonsandamovie wave as well as they did and not give us a movie in some form. My only requirement is that they call it 'Commovity' because drat it, if you're gonna make horrible dean portmamteaus, you can have a horrible movie one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

tinstaach posted:

I think you're mixing up episodes, because the Matt Besser tag was closer to the end

The best joke was the return of the ladders professor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love how whenever we see Ladders the students are so loving pumped to be there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

I love how whenever we see Ladders the students are so loving pumped to be there.

Its just a great class. Did you know that ladders were used to build nearly all tall things? Really makes you think.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Weird ending to a weird season.

Nthing best joke being the Matt Besser tag.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, I want to just watch a clip of the triumphant ladders return.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think one of the best jokes was Dean and Jeff having their silent side conversation after Frankie hints she may be a lesbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Man, I want to just watch a clip of the triumphant ladders return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdIj74cyO30

• Locked thread