Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i barely cringe from watching its not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crazy Ted posted:

You would think that of all the videos to disable comments on upon uploading that one would have been a real good candidate.

Almost 25% downvotes :pwn: for fucks sake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

julian assflange posted:

Almost 25% downvotes :pwn: for fucks sake

I'm glad people are taking a stand against FIFA.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

Because of that history, a tangle of state manipulation and sporting competition, soccer may never make it as a championship game in North America. It is, to put it in bluntly, un-American and un-Canadian. And it may not deserve to continue to make it elsewhere, either. In a world that increasingly relies on open markets and borderless trade and global exchange, the organization of soccer is an geo-political anachronism.

As soccer has unfolded under FIFA, the beautiful game has become a grotesque and overblown contest of nations, rather than just a contest of teams. How did a team sport become a game of national rivalries, pitting Germany against Spain, Uruguay against the Netherlands? And why, occasionally, do political leaders — French President Nicolas Sarkozy, for example, or former North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il — become directly involved in the operation of their national soccer franchise?

quote:

The authors of these books tend to think this is all history, and that the modern World Cup contests signal a new era in which democracy and globalization will lift soccer out of its dismal statist past into a glorious democratic future. Soccer belongs to liberal democracies. The subtitle of Soccernomics is: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey — and even Iraq — are Destined to Become the Kings of the World’s Most Popular Sport.

The theory is that globalization of the sport, and rising incomes around the world, will turn soccer into a sport dominated by people in lands with rising incomes and greater freedom, with the U.S. and Japan — and, who knows, Canada — taking the lead. But I have my doubts. The history of soccer, as told in these books, seems totally incompatible with American and Canadian sport values and the free-market economic structure on which those values are based.

Wherever soccer is king, the market in sports competition has been and remains restricted or even non-existent. Even in England, where cricket is also a major sport, there’s a political class-driven explanation for cricket’s continued existence. In North America, where sport is entertainment and not national religion, the games people play and watch are determined by entrepreneurs, not despots and politicians. That competition has produced a sports economy that is dense and multifaceted. We have hockey, baseball, football, basketball — not one of which owes much to any politician, but all of which are rivals for national attention.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/terence-corcoran-wherever-soccer-goes-politics-and-power-follow

I wish the rest of the world had up to 4 sports to watch like North America does

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I can't wait to support my national soccer franchise in the Euros next year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol you can't take the national post seriously, it's the canadian equivalent of the wall street journal or the telegraph, it's owned by conrad black, and of course it hates football.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Star Error posted:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/terence-corcoran-wherever-soccer-goes-politics-and-power-follow
Because of that history, a tangle of state manipulation and sporting competition, soccer may never make it as a championship game in North America. It is, to put it in bluntly, un-American and un-Canadian. And it may not deserve to continue to make it elsewhere, either. In a world that increasingly relies on open markets and borderless trade and global exchange, the organization of soccer is an geo-political anachronism.

As soccer has unfolded under FIFA, the beautiful game has become a grotesque and overblown contest of nations, rather than just a contest of teams. How did a team sport become a game of national rivalries, pitting Germany against Spain, Uruguay against the Netherlands? And why, occasionally, do political leaders — French President Nicolas Sarkozy, for example, or former North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il — become directly involved in the operation of their national soccer franchise?
You could tell this was written by a Canadian because if it was written by an American conservative he would simplify it to "Soccer is for queers, foreigners, and Communists" and that would be it.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2015

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

"Soccer is for queers, foreigners, and Communists"

You mean Canadians.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gigi Galli posted:

I can't wait to support my national soccer franchise in the Euros next year.

Paris Blue Cocks ftw!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

that post is making my head hurt. Do americans think football is waning in popularity?!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
unironically an article that uses the word "statist" and defines it as the opposite of democracy.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

opus111 posted:

that post is making my head hurt. Do americans think football is waning in popularity?!

No

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

You mean Canadians.

Well yeah he made that clear three times.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

Blue Star Error posted:

quote:

Every sentence is hilarious, but this one stands out to me because Terrence Corcoran has clearly never heard of the Olympics.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

opus111 posted:

Football isnt, but soccer sure is a dying sport.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Every sentence is hilarious, but this one stands out to me because Terrence Corcoran has clearly never heard of the Olympics.

Or cricket or rugby or whatever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
North America has FOUR WHOLE SPORTS with ONE WHOLE LEAGUE EACH, the rest of the world is just jealous of our dense and multifaceted sporting biosphere.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or cricket or rugby or whatever

hes lucky then

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

North America has FOUR WHOLE SPORTS with ONE WHOLE LEAGUE EACH, the rest of the world is just jealous of our dense and multifaceted sporting biosphere.

They are

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

African AIDS cum posted:

Football isnt, but soccer sure is a dying sport.

In a world where concussions and CTE don't exist maybe

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
heil... iitler?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

lol

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

loving hell lmao

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

omg

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star Error posted:

heil... iitler?

Nice, drat nice

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bendtner Lord Memes

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Blind played in the starting lineup of a team that got to the WORLD CUP semi finals -how is that not world class

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sepp Blatters deflating left bollock

PFFFF

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

8raz