Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not old enough to be in the "Erm maybe you shouldn't be on the road" category (yet),

How old are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

How old are you?

39. I'd understand insurance companies being nervous about me if I were a new rider at that age, jumping on a rolling midlife crisis, but I've been riding for 20 years now. Like literally the only compensation of being halflifeplus is supposed to be poo poo like insurance get cheaper because you're at least notionally less of an idiot. Mind you maybe they've looked at my bike history and realised that effect isn't taking place...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My bike insurance went up $60 USD a year when I moved from my previous location where my bike was parked outside to my current home where I now have a locked garage that I store my bike in. :psyduck:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

My bike insurance went up $60 USD a year when I moved from my previous location where my bike was parked outside to my current home where I now have a locked garage that I store my bike in. :psyduck:

My bike insurance went up almost $200/yr from FL to CA. Car insurance went up almost $400. Which means from the time I moved from Guam to CA it went up almost $600 :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. And apparently that chronicles show on fox was good too, but I haven't seen it :iiam:

The show was pretty good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The worst part about moving is that I have to drive the Explorer to and from school/work while I keep picking stuff up from the store or making a trip to the dump. I want to ride.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Poopy insurance

When my first bike was stolen and needed to renew for the second one; they quoted £700, I originally took out the policy for £300. :byodood:

Went to comparethemarket.com, took out a policy with Bennetts for £350, flipped that lovely free baby meerkat toy on eBay for £50. Then my missus added me to the insurance for her car, and got the bill reduced by £80, on which dimension do insurers operate on?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Super Slash posted:

on which dimension do insurers operate on?

No idea. For the short time I owned a Bolt (new bikes have no soul!) I was paying $70 a freaking month for insurance from State Farm for the first billing cycle because I didn't bother to ask how much. I am 39 and have a nearly flawless driving record. I talked to my agent about it who agreed it seemed high, suddenly it was magically down to $30. However the agent did verify that the $70 wasn't a mistake, she just wasn't going to charge that much.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Super Slash posted:

When my first bike was stolen and needed to renew for the second one; they quoted £700, I originally took out the policy for £300. :byodood:

Went to comparethemarket.com, took out a policy with Bennetts for £350, flipped that lovely free baby meerkat toy on eBay for £50. Then my missus added me to the insurance for her car, and got the bill reduced by £80, on which dimension do insurers operate on?

This is an important point - if you've got a wife or girlfriend, try adding your vehicle to her insurance first, and then adding yourself as a driver. I was able to get 40% lower car insurance rates that way, it's loving stupid.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Super Slash posted:

flipped that lovely free baby meerkat toy on eBay for £50.

Hahaha what? I get that they give you a toy meerkat but how the heck are they going for that much on ebay?!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Dear online retailers,
When you tell me you're going to ship out the part that I need badly right away, which have been on backorder for two weeks, I can tell when you wait until 3:45pm to print the USPS label and wait for the mailman to come the next day.
The difference between parts on Friday and parts on Monday is the difference between a pissed off me and a repeat customer.

Sincerely,
Waiting on crank bearings

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Re: bike naming and the festivities derailing the Tell me thread. Directed at no one in particular, and with this I'll STFU.

I'm not cherry picking exceptions, but painting Glamorous Glennis (a woman's name) on an airplane (a vehicle) was a class move. Anyone thinking otherwise can take it up with Chuck Yeager, who will promptly disconnect whatever medical devices are attached to him and kick your rear end. There is nothing dated or politically incorrect about his motives, and nothing offensive about it in the least. I'm sure Glennis was thrilled* to know it; she stuck with him for life.

* Her last name was Dickhouse, which would not have looked good on an airplane.

Also: isn't it strange that if you lampoon the PC police, you become the PC police? NZ, Oz, UK, I love you, don't change. Seriously. Especially not your lingo, and especially not to appease anyone in a country that is constantly inventing new ways to reward and glorify illiterates.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Re: bike naming and the festivities derailing the Tell me thread. Directed at no one in particular, and with this I'll STFU.

I'm not cherry picking exceptions, but painting Glamorous Glennis (a woman's name) on an airplane (a vehicle) was a class move. Anyone thinking otherwise can take it up with Chuck Yeager, who will promptly disconnect whatever medical devices are attached to him and kick your rear end. There is nothing dated or politically incorrect about his motives, and nothing offensive about it in the least. I'm sure Glennis was thrilled* to know it; she stuck with him for life.

* Her last name was Dickhouse, which would not have looked good on an airplane.

Also: isn't it strange that if you lampoon the PC police, you become the PC police? NZ, Oz, UK, I love you, don't change. Seriously. Especially not your lingo, and especially not to appease anyone in a country that is constantly inventing new ways to reward and glorify illiterates.

Thanks. FWIW I think glamorous glennis and similar are products of their time and totally rad.

I might add that if there's ever a woman in MotoGP she should demand hunky bare-chested grid boys to stand around in hot pants holding her umbrella on the starting grid. I know I would, and I'm not even a woman!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Marv I don't think anyone asked Slavvy to change his language. Just not to throw stones in his glass house. However watching his behavior degenerate because he didn't get to be right this time, that's been entertaining.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look out gents and ladies, my behaviour has degenerated; soon I'll be throwing cups and using my outdoor voice indoors and saying all the swears - all of them - and just being really disruptive to the rest of the group.

Buy me a big red title. I've never had one before and I think the novelty would be wonderful! Preferably the word oval office in 72pt font.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Serious talk Slavvy. Do you not see some hypocrisy in your actions here? Yes or no.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Man on internet may discover that words have different meanings and implications in different nations. STAY TUNED!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nope.

Calling a bike a woman is making a direct correlation between women and objects that you own and control. Pretty universal regardless of where you live and Not Very Nice.

Where I live, the word oval office is just another insulting swear word like rear end in a top hat or fuckwit or shithead. Nobody thinks it's a gendered thing; women say it all the time and you're sitting there moralising about it despite being from a completely different society with totally different (arguably horrific hosed up) social norms.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bike poo poo:

Popped my 3rd headlight bulb in a couple weeks!

So I guess that's VR territory. Other masochists seem to agree. Fun. If I'm lucky there's an upgrade around. gently caress who am I kidding, I'm lucky if the part's still around.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Calling a bike a woman is making a direct correlation between women and objects that you own and control. Pretty universal regardless of where you live and Not Very Nice.

Yeah, nah. Personifying objects is not at all the same thing as objectifying people. It's not even a universal thing, as plenty of people characterise their vehicles as male (while the vast majority are just "it"). This isn't a real social problem.

Nobody cares all that much about commonwealth swearing habits until you start trying to defend them. The only way for you to win that argument is to shut the gently caress up about it and stop trying to justify yourself (especially with "everyone does it here" which honest to god is like the worst excuse ever)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 6, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He asked and I answered; every post has been in response to coredump badgering me. But ok.

e: forgot to say: I have nothing against you RR but you're wrong :) I also saw your original post before you altered it; cunning of you to put in the 'plenty of people use male names!' thing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 6, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Nope.

Where I live, the word oval office is just another insulting swear word like rear end in a top hat or fuckwit or shithead. Nobody thinks it's a gendered thing; women say it all the time and you're sitting there moralising about it despite being from a completely different society with totally different (arguably horrific hosed up) social norms.

I honestly think you're performing some mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion. Let me see if I can help you to see why. I understand the use of the word oval office is more common in other parts of the world. But when you use the word oval office to describe something negatively, which YOU have, then you're saying a woman's genitalia is a negative thing. Part of a woman’s anatomy has become an insult. That action alone is insulting to women. Now you and others have made the argument that in your part of the world, this behavior is normalized. Fine, great. That's progress that a word for women's genitalia doesn’t carry as much shock and negativity in your part of the world. But that doesn't change the fact you're using part of a woman's anatomy as an insult.

But for you to get up on soapbox to yell at people to making a correlation between their motorcycles and women when you use AND CONTINUE TO DEFEND much more objectifying and sexually degrading language, well you’re literally a pot calling the kettle black here. What you should have done, is when Marv pointed this out, is acknowledge he made a valid point, agree that all parties involve have things they can do to make this forum more inviting to women. But no, you continue to dig in your heels. Lets just agree we all have things we can do to make this forum better in that regard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah, nah. Personifying objects is not at all the same thing as objectifying people. It's not even a universal thing, as plenty of people characterise their vehicles as male (while the vast majority are just "it"). This isn't a real social problem.

Nobody cares all that much about commonwealth swearing habits until you start trying to defend them. The only way for you to win that argument is to shut the gently caress up about it and stop trying to justify yourself (especially with "everyone does it here" which honest to god is like the worst excuse ever)

This really isn't the case - personifying objects can absolutely contain elements of objectification. It's not guaranteed, but part of what makes the reddit thing so uncomfortable is how tightly they skew to that line. There's plenty of research on these sorts of things out there that's quite interesting about how associations of people with objects change the perceptions of the agency and independence of those people, especially when paired with social structures that support that same removal of agency.

Coredump raises a good point about gendered language. I personally generally avoid it, but I feel really weird when it comes to applying my context to other people's language. It's a good point and would be decent to respect, but it's up to the individual to make that call for them and their audience.

Edit: Sure is nice to have a forum where folks will even talk about this though.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 6, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Lets just agree we all have things we can do to make this forum better in that regard.
OK.

Z3n posted:

Edit: Sure is nice to have a forum where folks will even talk about this though.

Yes!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

This really isn't the case - personifying objects can absolutely contain elements of objectification. It's not guaranteed, but part of what makes the reddit thing so uncomfortable is how tightly they skew to that line. There's plenty of research on these sorts of things out there that's quite interesting about how associations of people with objects change the perceptions of the agency and independence of those people, especially when paired with social structures that support that same removal of agency.

Sorry, maybe I got confused, did some guy start calling his bike by his girlfriend's name or something? I thought we were just on giving machines people names in general, but when it's someone specific then yeah I see your point.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Slavvy whats your real name? I want to name my bike after you.

It's okay to name things, its not okay to belittle or insult people or groups of people. As far as I know they are separate but sometimes overlap. I think most creepy people do it but some normals too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coredump posted:

I honestly think you're performing some mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion. Let me see if I can help you to see why. I understand the use of the word oval office is more common in other parts of the world. But when you use the word oval office to describe something negatively, which YOU have, then you're saying a woman's genitalia is a negative thing. Part of a woman’s anatomy has become an insult. That action alone is insulting to women. Now you and others have made the argument that in your part of the world, this behavior is normalized. Fine, great. That's progress that a word for women's genitalia doesn’t carry as much shock and negativity in your part of the world. But that doesn't change the fact you're using part of a woman's anatomy as an insult.

But for you to get up on soapbox to yell at people to making a correlation between their motorcycles and women when you use AND CONTINUE TO DEFEND much more objectifying and sexually degrading language, well you’re literally a pot calling the kettle black here.

The one point you're missing is that in the dialect of English Slavvy speaks and uses on a daily basis, oval office is no longer truly a gendered word, nor considered sexually degrading.

Consider the case of the word 'cup'. It comes originally from the German 'kopf, however in German this word long ago ceased to mean 'cup' and now means 'head' (as in the thing above your shoulders). The meanings differ, even though it once meant the same thing n both languags, and still does in the dialectical descendant we speak. Similarly, the word 'human being' used to mean 'a bundle of sticks', but over time it's come to be a very offensive slur - but mostly just in the U.S. In England it's a cigarette.

Just because a word means one thing in your dialect (North American English in this case) does not mean it is equally offensive in all dialects and relatives of that language. This also occurs a lot between European, Mexican, and Puerto Rican Spanish - some highly offensive words in one of those dialects are totally benign in others, despite them all being 'Spanish'.

As a humourous (to me) aside, my wife has a little beanbag pillow with the word 'cuntwaffle' embroidered on it and it was given to her by a female friend of hers as a silly gift, so even within American English speaking women, there's varying degrees of revulsion for the use of that word and it's casual usage.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You cunts need to chill the gently caress out. It's a word - it can have multiple meanings and depending how you use it, can be insulting or a praise. For Australians/NZers it's not overly offensive to most nowadays, but occasionally you come across someone who can't stand the word - so you don't use it around them. Same with Americans, I know it's offensive to them so don't say it around my American friends because it upsets them, however, around my usual Aussie friends, females included, the word oval office gets bantered around just as much as poo poo, gently caress, fag, bitch, etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Similarly, the word 'human being' used to mean 'a bundle of sticks', but over time it's come to be a very offensive slur - but mostly just in the U.S. In England it's a cigarette.

No, a human being is a sort of meatball, a fag is a cigarette (or a younger boy assigned to be a personal servant to an older boy in a posh school, and it is (probably) this use that led to it being used as an abusive term for gay men). The first two uses both come from the original use of the term (a bundle of things generally), nobody's quite sure where the latter comes from.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
How about this weather, eh?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I called my Bandit "The Fat Lady"because it was heavy, loud and not very elegant. Like a stereotypical Wagnerian opera singer.

I guess that makes me a horrible person :rolleyes:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They would never have this discussion on reddit so I'm ok with it here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Remember guys, inherently gendered insults like "oval office" are totally A-OK, but even suggesting that you might name your bike after a woman makes you a triggering, privileged, misogynistic shitlord.

How about we talk about "fanny" or "box" instead? I think I might name my bike The Fanny Box, the ultimate non-offensive bike name.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

Nope.

Or.......it's a term of endearment for a partner that's been with you through good and bad and you identify with as on the level you would someone you love....like a woman. It doesn't have to be about ownership.

It's about treating an object like a partner, not treating a partner as an object like you are saying. If it was, I'd be calling my wife motorcycle.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

revmoo posted:

Or.......it's a term of endearment for a partner that's been with you through good and bad and you identify with as on the level you would someone you love....like a woman. It doesn't have to be about ownership.

It's about treating an object like a partner, not treating a partner as an object like you are saying. If it was, I'd be calling my wife motorcycle.

Hope you don't call your wife "honey", you objectifying fascist.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Nothing that doesn't require a crew should be named, anyway.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Frosty- posted:

Agreed. Unless it's "The Yamaha" or "The blue bike".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Frosty- posted:

This. Why people name bikes I'll never know. It doesn't make me think you're a mysogynist, it just makes me think you're a weirdo.

My bikes are named "the Kawasaki" "the Honda" "the Suzuki" and "the versys"

No one smashed a bottle of champagne on your bike the first time you rode it, just call it by the model or color or something.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

just call it by the model

Let's go, FAT BOY.

Oh, you...you Tempter you.

Bonneville owners, IXNAY WITH THE BONNIE HENCEFORTH.

For me, it's a revelation to see just how damned intelligent everyone is here, and how well you defend your positions. Since I rarely venture outside of CA*, all I get to read about is people puncturing their own tanks, running into mailboxes, running out of gas, making terrible financial decisions, getting ripped off, wadding brand new bikes, etc. One couldn't be faulted for forming a lesser opinion.

*I will occasionally spot check D&D to marvel at the tragically naive, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hey guys, I know it is sexist for me to give my bike a girl's name, but what if I give my girl a bikes name? The missus might be pregnant and if it is a girl I'm thinking ZRX, but if it's a boy I'll probably go with Gladius.

We will probably just end up calling them "the brown one" or "the white one", depending what color they come out as though. Little ZRX "Brownie" Chiche, the second.