Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

frajaq posted:

Why would you throw krak grenades when you can punch with them?

I don't need all those hands anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Lookit dat scrub, still using "hands".

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Question for y'all. So far, Dark Heresy has (as far as I'm aware) never had a basic weapon that has both the accurate and blast traits - but that's no longer the case, as you can load a condemnor-combi-bolter's crossbow side, which has accurate, with explosive quarrels or (in a pinch) theta-pattern concussion bolts, both of which have blast, and neither of which remove the accurate quality.

When you aim, accurate gives you +1d10 damage per 2 DoS on the 'hit' you score - but blast says that you then do that damage (i.e. the same damage, the same roll) to everyone within the radius. So, would an accurate aimed blast shot do +2d10 damage to everyone in the AoE? I guess there's the realism argument - a precisely aimed shot at a weak point wouldn't affect other caught in the blast, but then again you could also make a case for making sick MLG trick shots with the explosive aimed at /just the right/ angle - but I don't see any strict RAW argument against it. Thoughts?

The ceramic-doll-face psyker (cheers for everyone's ideas, btw) did a Dodgy Deal With Dark Powers to save the party from the Red Cages, but and my new Sororitas character is looking covetously at interesting weapon options - crossbows seem cool because of the sheer range of things you can shoot out of them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Question for y'all. So far, Dark Heresy has (as far as I'm aware) never had a basic weapon that has both the accurate and blast traits - but that's no longer the case, as you can load a condemnor-combi-bolter's crossbow side, which has accurate, with explosive quarrels or (in a pinch) theta-pattern concussion bolts, both of which have blast, and neither of which remove the accurate quality.

When you aim, accurate gives you +1d10 damage per 2 DoS on the 'hit' you score - but blast says that you then do that damage (i.e. the same damage, the same roll) to everyone within the radius. So, would an accurate aimed blast shot do +2d10 damage to everyone in the AoE? I guess there's the realism argument - a precisely aimed shot at a weak point wouldn't affect other caught in the blast, but then again you could also make a case for making sick MLG trick shots with the explosive aimed at /just the right/ angle - but I don't see any strict RAW argument against it. Thoughts?

The ceramic-doll-face psyker (cheers for everyone's ideas, btw) did a Dodgy Deal With Dark Powers to save the party from the Red Cages, but and my new Sororitas character is looking covetously at interesting weapon options - crossbows seem cool because of the sheer range of things you can shoot out of them.

If I was DMing, I'd probably rule that Accurate would only apply to direct hits and not the blast. I.E: If I hit someone with said crossbow bolt with enough degrees of success then he would get hit for the extra accurate damage, but the guy standing right next to him will just take the blast damage and not the accurate damage.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Allow some kind of razor whip along with it and we castlevania now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

but then again you could also make a case for making sick MLG trick shots with the explosive aimed at /just the right/ angle - but I don't see any strict RAW argument against it. Thoughts?

well i mean you could if you were retarded

this is probably an oversight - the Longshot brick-firing sniper rifle from the only war supplements specifically removes the accurate trait if it uses ammo with blast

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Speaking of explosives, I wouldn't ever give one Accurate, but I do like to have them do additional damage in enclosed spaces. Like if you drop a frag into a tank hatch and shut it, it's going to absolutely mulch the crew rather than just doing the regular damage.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When are we getting an Ork game drat it!!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Never, FFG put their B-team on the wh40k rpg line a long time ago and I don't really blame them for it

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I think in OW, it specified that accurate didn't work with blast weapons, or anything other than a single shot with no AoE, did they change that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of, how do you handle Blast weapons with a higher rate of fire? Every shot that doesn't hit due to the BS test scatters?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yes, which is why in general I don't like blast weapons that aren't single shot, even if its the only real way to make grenade launchers viable.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

On the other hand, it lets you do area saturation with grenades.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

True bullshit is trying to calculate the exact WAAAGH bonuses each ork gets since, its based on how many orks are near each individual ork.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you couldn't do automatic blast weapons, you couldn't do cyclone missile launchers. Or micro-grenades. Micro-grenades are always a good idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Random question, does anyone have that Ultramarines Legion text saved? Its like two chaos space marines are talking

CSM 1: We lost to the Ultramarines
CSM 2: One chapter? What a loser
CSM 1: No, the entire Legion, it was like the Primarchs walked again.

Something like that. The theorizing that the Ultramarines never broke down to chapters, really.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

LowellDND posted:

Random question, does anyone have that Ultramarines Legion text saved? Its like two chaos space marines are talking

CSM 1: We lost to the Ultramarines
CSM 2: One chapter? What a loser
CSM 1: No, the entire Legion, it was like the Primarchs walked again.

Something like that. The theorizing that the Ultramarines never broke down to chapters, really.

I think its less they never broke down and more they all (supposedly) hardcore follow the Codex Astarte to the point when they linked up they were all fluid and same since they all followed the book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Telsa Cola posted:

I think its less they never broke down and more they all (supposedly) hardcore follow the Codex Astarte to the point when they linked up they were all fluid and same since they all followed the book.

That's the official line on it, yes, but it keeps getting mentioned that the Ultramarines are extremely close to all of their huge number of successors and exercise control over their training and operations. Functionally, they flout Papa Smurf's rules just like the Dark Angels and Space Wolves.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Ultramarines never broke down into chapters because that's what Guilliman had them organized as already. They all work perfectly together because the chapter was his maneuver element.

Tias
May 25, 2008

See also my post some pages back on the dark angels, who are on the same kick, considering their successors mystic brothers in the hunt for the Fallen and mysteriously good at working together for space marines.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE :black101:, a whole bunch of plot points and various items have finally come home to roost. The heretics, fresh from dropping a space station on an Imperial planet headed back home to their station to figure out what to do next. The Word Bearers who the heretics had arranged a deal with finished their studies of the station and discovered why the hell it couldn't move. The problem was that the station's engine "key", was missing pieces. As they can't recreate Yu'Vath technology, their only choice to bring back the station to full power was to go find where the hell the pieces went. They used several of their psykers in a "ritual" (everything can be solved through rituals) to discover more about where the hell the pieces could be. One of their pet psykers went crazy, babbled several near incomprehensible things, then pink fluid ran out of his ears before he keeled over.

The three things that they could get out of him were Hereticus Tenenbrae, Lachesis, and Azzima. With some absolutely horrid knowledge rolls, no one had any loving clue what any of this meant. They spent the rest of the session trying to figure out what these meant. After searching through several systems, asking pirates, and asking chaos space marines, they found out the following.Lachesis is a moon around Scintilla, that no ordinary citizen is allowed to step foot on. Azzima is a chaos warlord within the Screaming Vortex, actual appearance unknown. Finally the Hereticus Tenenbrae is better known as the Tyrant Star. The star is a black dwarf that appears above worlds in the Calixis sector shortly before, or after everything goes to poo poo.

Curiously enough, the Tyrant Star is featured prominently on the banners of the Haarlock family. The family whose shuttles were found abandoned on the station when the heretics first took control of it. Armed with that knowledge, they head to the world of Dusk, the last known location of the star to figure out where the hell the missing pieces for their station are. TO ADVENTURE AND CHAOS!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tias posted:

See also my post some pages back on the dark angels, who are on the same kick, considering their successors mystic brothers in the hunt for the Fallen and mysteriously good at working together for space marines.

At this point there are probably fewer Chapters that are actually follow the rules than ones that are either openly flaunting them or covertly dodging them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashcans posted:

At this point there are probably fewer Chapters that are actually follow the rules than ones that are either openly flaunting them or covertly dodging them.

Well, the Ultramarines themselves say you aren't supposed to take the Codex Astartes literally and obey every word verbatim, so... :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Since its come up in my game, how does the webway work? What can be expected travelling in it? Is it one person, or can ships use it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's magic, person-sized, and you can expect elves

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ships can and do travel through the webway. It contains crfatworld eldar in transit, harlequins and dark eldar just living there, including entire cities, and the less pleasant parts of it have warp leaking through into it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

There are entrances of varying sizes, and apparently entire cities do exist inside it in some places. That said, it's also full of demons in some places, so unless you are a harlequin (or a primarch), extended stays in it are not advised.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Commorragh is in the webway, and is a huge place. I think about the only Eldar spacecraft that can't fit through the bigger gates are craftworlds, who carry their own. Most are much smaller though.

They are infested with elfs and occasionally weird monstrosities from the before times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And also daemons, Thousand Sons, and Newcrons.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Think of it like a route-66 equivalent with a shitton of seedy biker bars.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In fanfics Ive read, the webways are also seen to exhibit time travel (like horus heresy era marines coming across 40k marines). Is that 'canon' or just a fan theory?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The warp certainly does it, and the warp is leaking into the webways in a bunch of places, so even if it's not canon it would be a relatively sensible fan theory.

This interpretation not at all coloured by wanting Fabiyan back.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The webway is a structure that exists inside the warp, so I'd assume the same property of time fuckery applies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FireSight posted:

The webway is a structure that exists inside the warp, so I'd assume the same property of time fuckery applies.

I thought it existed outside of the warp. Like the layer between realspace and the warp. Basically the eldar are from *above* and the demons are from *below*. Nurgle confirmed to be Orz.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

Cythereal posted:

And also daemons, Thousand Sons, and Newcrons.

The whole 'newcrons using webway' thing really jams a stick up my rear end, and not even the fun kind. One of the major allures of the Necrons was that they solved science - their understanding of the universe was complete, and they bent it to their unfeeling yet still half insane wills. They had loving reactionless drives, how cool is that? Now they bum FTL off the Eldar like an ex needing to use your phone.

"I hate you buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut i kind of need to call my dealer." :commissar:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LowellDND posted:

In fanfics Ive read,

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Eldar didn't build the webway, so the Newcrons can argue about what was left to who in the giant space-will.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, both Leman Russ and Jaghatai Khan are racing around the 'way, hunting demons, drinking warp mead and doing warbike donuts on dark elf lawns, or so I am forced to assume :black101:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The webway is basically an enormous space interstate system that is slowly collapsing due to lack of maintenance/people crashing into it. So there are huge, mult-lane highways that can transport full-size warships (but not craftworlds, because those are essentially planetary bodies), but also lots of smaller two-lane routes and little off ramps that can only admit smaller things - down to the size of individual gates that basically only admit individuals. Most craftworlds have multiple gates, ranging from huge external arrays that ships use to man-size portals in the Aspect shrines.

Because it's derelict, parts of the webway have collapsed and are basically leaking warp-space into it, and other areas have been sealed off because they're too dangerous to leave open. In addition, there are paths where the realspace gates have been destroyed, so you can't actually leave the way. This means that if you want to get from one place to another, it often means taking a complicated route around failed areas of dead gates, sometimes even dropping back into realspace to scoot over to a nearby entry to re-enter. You probably need a guide or you can expect a hilariously messed up trip.

It's mostly full of elves. The Dark Eldar live there, but the Harlequins use it extensively and function as it's not-psychotic-rape-flaying guardians. The Black Library, the Eldar's repository of knowledge on the matters of Chaos, is hidden in the Webway, and they will gently caress you up if you get near it.

Also I think the Laughing God is still hiding in there somewhere to dodge Slaanesh eating him?

If you are using it in a campaign it should basically be the dungeon equivalent of a funhouse hall of mirrors, where the other patrons are a dozen creepy clowns, five serial killers, and a rabid bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, and obviously there are Inquisitors in there as well, being inquisitive and fighting with everybody but especially harlequins. They might have anything from a handful of infiltrators trying to breach the Black Library to a small army with Deathwatch support attempting an assault on some Dark Eldar outposts.

It would be busy if it wasn't so huge.