Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Has a bloodline game actually been attempted where each month a new commander takes over and there is minimal coordination between commanders? Could make for some dwarf fortress-level hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't like the "alternative universe" train of thoughts. This is not loving Marvel. XCOM is serious business. I'll pretend the first Temple Ship was just a reconnaissance thing before the main force.

As a side note, what Jagged Alliance would be best for me if the only turn by turn games I ever played are XCOM and Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy poo poo i just watched the trailer and i cant tell if they're trolling the giant xcom babies or thought it looked 'cool' but i couldnt be more hype for this game

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Can you freeaim and blowup walls/scenery with non-explosives in this one?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gortarius posted:

Doubtful, it would break a lot of things with how they have implemented stuff.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gortarius posted:

Supposedly, the environment is a lot more destructible. So it would make sense for them to give us more tools to wreck things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The new "Heavy" (Grenadier) gets a rotary cylinder grenade launcher, at least, for maximum property damage. :black101:

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Otisburg posted:

The new "Heavy" (Grenadier) gets a rotary cylinder grenade launcher, at least, for maximum property damage. :black101:

The new "Assault" (Ranger) also gets a Machete, which once upgraded to a Hatchet is capable of breaking down wooden doors while the operative screams "HEEERE'S XCOM" at the collaborators cowering inside.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Furism posted:

I don't like the "alternative universe" train of thoughts. This is not loving Marvel. XCOM is serious business. I'll pretend the first Temple Ship was just a reconnaissance thing before the main force.

As a side note, what Jagged Alliance would be best for me if the only turn by turn games I ever played are XCOM and Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall?

Jagged Alliance 2 is always the answer no matter the question. The new ones don't hold up too good and the first one is about 60 percent wading through swampwaters.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hey Beagle, where do I get myself a sweet-as Bradford sweater like yours?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

Did we play different games or do you not remember the intro cinematic for X-com?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beagle posted:

The new "Assault" (Ranger) also gets a Machete, which once upgraded to a Hatchet is capable of breaking down wooden doors while the operative screams "HEEERE'S XCOM" at the collaborators cowering inside.

Now I imagine a Terror Mission, where you assault a small area that has "Alien Civilians", and you have to kill little bleep bloops while a responce force tries to rescue them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Now I imagine a Terror Mission, where you assault a small area that has "Alien Civilians", and you have to kill little bleep bloops while a responce force tries to rescue them.

Unironically this. Sweater XO Man sending you to firebomb a sectoid creche would make this day one purchase for me. feels_good_xeno_blood_on_face.jpg

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

Hey Beagle, where do I get myself a sweet-as Bradford sweater like yours?

I'm no Beagle, but they are called wooly pully sweaters and you can buy some at Amazon or other retailers.

Stick a custom-made badge and you are good to go.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mordaedil posted:

Did we play different games or do you not remember the intro cinematic for X-com?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

I did say XCOM and not X-Com! :colbert:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

fspades posted:

I'm no Beagle, but they are called wooly pully sweaters and you can buy some at Amazon or other retailers.

Nice! Will order a pair when I get home.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Furism posted:

It's not an 'alternate universe'. It's THE universe. We just did not get to choose which one came true any more than Warcraft 1/2 players got to choose which campaign ending was canon.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just look at that achievement where less than 25% of people even finished the game. Statistically the aliens won. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChogsEnhour posted:

Just look at that achievement where less than 25% of people even finished the game. Statistically the aliens won. :v:

I finished it once :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Throw the carehavers a bone by importing their EU/EW Squad and their cosmetic customizarion and loadouts, then graphically and fangoriously kill that squad in the opening cutscene.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Me too. It just wasn't enough. :smith: All hail the snake tits.

So hyped for this. Luckily Massive Chalice was free on Xbox Gold this month so that may scratch my X-Com itch a bit, but I've not played it yet, so who knows.

edit:

Otisburg posted:

Throw the carehavers a bone by importing their EU/EW Squad and their cosmetic customizarion and loadouts, then graphically and fangoriously kill that squad in the opening cutscene.

Would genuinely love that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Otisburg posted:

If you import a squad, you will do the training mission with them. They run into a trap and get mind controlled.

The last boss of the game is a super-buff version of that squad fighting you with all the dirty tricks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Me too. It just wasn't enough. :smith: All hail the snake tits.

So hyped for this. Luckily Massive Chalice was free on Xbox Gold this month so that may scratch my X-Com itch a bit, but I've not played it yet, so who knows.

Lol, Massive Chalice has been released for what? Two days?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've been bogged down with work.

Work i should be doing now instead of posting about Xcom, but I'm only human.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fspades posted:

So, is this sweater not a thing in the Americas since people think it's all wacky and stuff?

It's been decades since my drafted year, but all the surplus stores in Norway sold that sweater. It's super comfortable and great during winter. Officers wore it around camp as business casual all the time. I thought it was perfect on the XCOM guy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I imagine it is more common here (also from Norway), in Iceland, Svalbard, Canada and Alaska.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Otisburg posted:

Is "fangoriously" even a word?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

THE BAR posted:

It is now.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Beagle posted:

Sorry if this is me being really dumb but... you aren't the same beagle who's well know for his XCOM videos are you? Either way, that hatchet idea is awesome and/or hilarious.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I love this thread. :allears:

So do we have anything to look forward too today from IGN?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Stephen9001 posted:

Sorry if this is me being really dumb but... you aren't the same beagle who's well know for his XCOM videos are you? Either way, that hatchet idea is awesome and/or hilarious.

It is.

Are we expecting any more info tomorrow or is it just the Friday stream? (i think there was a firaxis stream coming up???)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thyrork posted:

I love this thread. :allears:

So do we have anything to look forward too today from IGN?

IIRC they have a written feature every day this week launching at noon Eastern time. I might be misremembering though.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Did you draw this? Because yeah, we can stop discussing the snaketits now. This basically sums up everyone's feelings in this thread.

Nice find and/or good job with the drawing!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Donnerberg posted:

So, is this sweater not a thing in the Americas since people think it's all wacky and stuff?

It's been decades since my drafted year, but all the surplus stores in Norway sold that sweater. It's super comfortable and great during winter. Officers wore it around camp as business casual all the time. I thought it was perfect on the XCOM guy.

US Military probably has got some high tech polymer smart sweater poo poo for cold weather instead of the good old time proven wool pull-over like the rest of NATO.

Now that I think of it, given the level of tech XCOM has, it's weird that Bradford wears one of those.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Inglonias posted:

Did you draw this? Because yeah, we can stop discussing the snaketits now. This basically sums up everyone's feelings in this thread.

Nice find and/or good job with the drawing!

It will never end.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Commander... do you think love can bloom, even on the battlefield?

This deserved more notice

Otisburg posted:

Haha that'd be great "Colonel Werewolf, nooooo!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ChogsEnhour posted:

That's an amazingly high completion rate for a game of XCOM's difficulty.

THE BAR posted:

Ever since september 8, 2003

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 3, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing I want is some controlled explosives for breaches. Grenades don't count.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

A.o.D. posted:

That's an amazingly high completion rate for a game of XCOM's difficulty.

Probably the benefit of a pretty die-hard niche audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's terrible that the thing I am most excited for is more indepth soldier customisation. Though I guess it's just a sneaky way to make the game even crueler. More personalised soldiers means even more agony when they inevitably get one shotted by a thin man across the map

• Locked thread