Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Placid Marmot posted:

You didn't read my post very well, did you? Here you go:

That covers most of your points, aside from "convenient protein" being "expensive"; I picked what I guess to be the cheapest "meat" and "beans" on Walmart.com [hotdog price found on another site because Walmart does not say] - each of them takes a similar amount of time to throw in a pan when you get home, less than the time taken to wait at a drive-in - and guess which costs more per gram of protein...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valleydale-Hot-Dogs-24-Oz/10453078
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Pinto-Beans-64-Oz/10314948

Hot dogs: 3.5c/gram of protein. Pintos: 0.9c/gram of protein.
Check out these ingredients: Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Pork, Corn Syrup, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Potassium Lactate, Sodium Phosphates, Flavorings, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Beef, Red No. 40.
Mmmmm... tasty quality protein value.

Chicken breasts are 1.89 a pound usually and have 105~ grams of protein per pound so they're a lot better than hot dogs but still not perfect. Living on pintos seems like hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder exactly how long it would take to end consumerism?

Or should we just aim to get consumerism down to 1990s levels by 2030 :v:

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

Chicken breasts are 1.89 a pound usually and have 105~ grams of protein per pound so they're a lot better than hot dogs but still not perfect. Living on pintos seems like hell though.

Living on chicken breasts sounds like hell to me - and that's what all the bodybuilders and lifters say about eating lots of chicken too. I was not suggesting that one should "live off" beans - a significant fraction of my food intake is composed of various beans, chickpeas, lentils and similar, but that's all cooked with vegetables, herbs, spices and whatever and I eat lots of fruit, nuts and grains too - I was just demonstrating that you can get "quality protein" [if you were to eat just pinto beans, you would be eating close to nutritionally compete protein - (but don't eat just pinto beans)] without having to eat meat.

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not sure I buy this argument. Is TV really a significant source of energy consumption? It seems more like something you are railling against as an ill of modern society but is basically fine.

I'd be ok with a cleanup tax on high consumption activities, to discourage wastefulness. Increase gas taxes too, but slowly, and encourage people to move closer to where they work. Increases in telecommuting, perhaps an incentivization for companies to allow it, might help as well.

Watching a lot of TV will certainly add up to a lot of energy consumption - whether it is "significant" depends how much energy the watcher expends on other activities - and, fitting with the direction of my argument, nobody can claim that someone "cannot afford" to cook for themselves or to ride to work if that person is also watching "multiple hours of TV".

It is not high-consumption activities that should be taxed - how would you tax someone cooling their house to 72 degrees in summer (I don't know if that's a very cool temperature in Fahrenheit - let's say it is) versus someone heating their house to 72 degrees in winter? My idea is to allow everyone a ration of free energy, enough to cook, heat/cool, light, and other reasonable usages, and to tax usage on top of that on a scale that will permit poorer people to slightly overspend their free ration but that will prohibit rich people from using ridiculous amounts of energy.
This will never happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Or should we just aim to get consumerism down to 1990s levels by 2030 :v:

Trickle Down Economics will do it for you!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Placid Marmot posted:

Living on chicken breasts sounds like hell to me - and that's what all the bodybuilders and lifters say about eating lots of chicken too. I was not suggesting that one should "live off" beans - a significant fraction of my food intake is composed of various beans, chickpeas, lentils and similar, but that's all cooked with vegetables, herbs, spices and whatever and I eat lots of fruit, nuts and grains too - I was just demonstrating that you can get "quality protein" [if you were to eat just pinto beans, you would be eating close to nutritionally compete protein - (but don't eat just pinto beans)] without having to eat meat.

Watching a lot of TV will certainly add up to a lot of energy consumption - whether it is "significant" depends how much energy the watcher expends on other activities - and, fitting with the direction of my argument, nobody can claim that someone "cannot afford" to cook for themselves or to ride to work if that person is also watching "multiple hours of TV".

It is not high-consumption activities that should be taxed - how would you tax someone cooling their house to 72 degrees in summer (I don't know if that's a very cool temperature in Fahrenheit - let's say it is) versus someone heating their house to 72 degrees in winter? My idea is to allow everyone a ration of free energy, enough to cook, heat/cool, light, and other reasonable usages, and to tax usage on top of that on a scale that will permit poorer people to slightly overspend their free ration but that will prohibit rich people from using ridiculous amounts of energy.
This will never happen.

Yeah your utopia sounds pretty lovely. Do the greens at the top still get to live like Al Gore? As long as some of us get to continue to be more equal than others, I'm ok with your plan.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

Yeah your utopia sounds pretty lovely. Do the greens at the top still get to live like Al Gore? As long as some of us get to continue to be more equal than others, I'm ok with your plan.

My idea would actively reduce inequality - did you not understand it? People who are poor would pay zero or close to zero for their energy, while richer people, or those who want to use unequal amounts of energy, would spend what they are willing to spend.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Placid Marmot posted:

My idea would actively reduce inequality - did you not understand it? People who are poor would pay zero or close to zero for their energy, while richer people, or those who want to use unequal amounts of energy, would spend what they are willing to spend.

"if you need a kilowatt, take a kilowatt, if you have a kilowatt, leave a kilowatt!"

- a well thought out policy by a very serious D&D poster not at all based on the little penny dish thing next to the register at the qwick-e-shop

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

"if you need a kilowatt, take a kilowatt, if you have a kilowatt, leave a kilowatt!"

- a well thought out policy by a very serious D&D poster not at all based on the little penny dish thing next to the register at the qwick-e-shop

Perhaps you thought that I was suggesting a zero-sum system? I never said that. Again, I don't think you understood what I wrote.
Or perhaps you think that poor people require the same amount of energy as rich people to maintain their households, or that they should be spending the relatively-high proportion of their income on energy that they do now (energy that is largely essential: heating, cooking), while rich people should only spend a relatively-small proportion of their income, despite that rich people use more energy?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Placid Marmot posted:

Perhaps you thought that I was suggesting a zero-sum system? I never said that. Again, I don't think you understood what I wrote.
Or perhaps you think that poor people require the same amount of energy as rich people to maintain their households, or that they should be spending the relatively-high proportion of their income on energy that they do now (energy that is largely essential: heating, cooking), while rich people should only spend a relatively-small proportion of their income, despite that rich people use more energy?

Yes, I think poor people should spend a larger portion of their income on fixed rate things like energy or cars or shoes. Cheaper energy would be great, I think we can all agree!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

computer parts posted:

They certainly don't in many factors (number of children, for example).
I wouldn't say that having lots of kids is a well-recognized aspect of hedonism. Save perhaps as an accidental side-effect.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

Yes, I think poor people should spend a larger portion of their income on fixed rate things like energy or cars or shoes. Cheaper energy would be great, I think we can all agree!

Have you never heard of fuel poverty? Here's a handy link for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_poverty
I want people to use less energy, but it is necessary for people to be able to heat their houses adequately, be able to cook, have lighting and refrigeration, and a reasonable amount of other energy usage. If you think that people living in fuel poverty is a good thing, then maybe you should stick to the libertarian threads.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Placid Marmot posted:

Have you never heard of fuel poverty? Here's a handy link for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_poverty
I want people to use less energy, but it is necessary for people to be able to heat their houses adequately, be able to cook, have lighting and refrigeration, and a reasonable amount of other energy usage. If you think that people living in fuel poverty is a good thing, then maybe you should stick to the libertarian threads.

What's 'reasonable'? I'm in favor of everyone having all the energy their lifestyle requires, and shouldn't break the bank, or come at differing cost points based on income. That's loving retarded. Why is it that greens and communists always have these vast unworkable schemes? Is it your lack of experience operating in the adult world?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
actually a zero sum carbon tax redistributed per capita to the people makes a lot of sense, hell, we can even exempt the top 10% of earners from payouts :getin:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

What's 'reasonable'? I'm in favor of everyone having all the energy their lifestyle requires, and shouldn't break the bank, or come at differing cost points based on income. That's loving retarded. Why is it that greens and communists always have these vast unworkable schemes? Is it your lack of experience operating in the adult world?

Because a really vast and unworkable scheme is probably the only thing that's going to get us through the century without a worldwide collapse of technological civilization?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

So basically you want to save the planet as cheaply as possible. Because living on cheap energy got us into this problem, so it can get us out of it. :getin:

Are you listening to yourself?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

"Everyone having all the energy their lifestyle requires" is kinda why we're in this problem to begin with.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Friendly Tumour posted:

Because a really vast and unworkable scheme is probably the only thing that's going to get us through the century without a worldwide collapse of technological civilization?

:goonsay:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strudel Man posted:

I wouldn't say that having lots of kids is a well-recognized aspect of hedonism. Save perhaps as an accidental side-effect.

It's the foundation of the original "Tragedy of the Commons" argument.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

educating poor people

If they were educated, they wouldn't be poor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

computer parts posted:

It's the foundation of the original "Tragedy of the Commons" argument.
Aha. Clever. For a moment there, I was all set to accuse you of intellectual dishonesty for comparing breeding cattle to having children.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

i am harry posted:

If they were educated, they wouldn't be poor.

I guess you're trolling. If so, congratulations.
My actual statement was:

Placid Marmot posted:

If anything, educating poor people in ways to reduce their spending while also being more eco-friendly is more likely to be effective than educating well-off people, as poorer people will see proportionally-greater benefits.

which says nothing about the general education of poor people and actually places them in the same educational category as well-off people, being people who could learn more about reducing their spending while being more eco-friendly.

In any case, you have it back to front: if they weren't poor, they wouldn't be poorly-educated.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

No I think I have it the right way round. I'm not saying "ur poor and dumb and dumb and poor", just that a lack of the sort of education you and I have so far received is the main reason most of these poor people you're talking about are poor...so educating them about how to grow a vegetable patch in their back yard is short-sighted and ineffective.

Look at birth rate.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 2, 2015

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

down with slavery posted:

actually a zero sum carbon tax redistributed per capita to the people makes a lot of sense, hell, we can even exempt the top 10% of earners from payouts :getin:
Carbon taxes are like nuclear reactors. Too much state for the right, too much capitalism for the left :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

How is tiered pricing unworkable.

My electricity bill in every city I've ever lived had tiered pricing: the first X kWh were dirt-cheap, the next tier a bit more, and up and up. It's pretty loving great: I didn't have to pay out the rear end for basic necessities of life, but there was significant savings to be had at the top end by setting the timer on my A/C or turning off unneeded lights.

How can you say something is unworkable when the idea is used in municipal utilities every drat day? And if you don't want energy usage to break the bank for anyone, shouldn't you support low prices for the first kWh (which represents literal life-and-death like winter heating and cooked food), and higher prices for the luxuries powered by someone's 800th kWh?

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Pauline Kael posted:

So you want to save the world, you just don't think anyone should bother spending any money or wasting any effort to do so. Got it, good idea you mature adult.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It works like credit, if you're a grown-rear end adult. We incurred the costs of explosive global industrialization without environmental care over the past half-century on the credit offered by stuff like the oceanic heat sink capability and the atmosphere's slow rate of reaction to additional carbon, but now we have to pay the bill for all those costs. Maybe if we didn't burn so much coal and oil it wouldn't be so drat expensive but that's the price of blasting through 400ppm and heating the arctic to the point where the jet stream is wandering around like a senile in fugue.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

FAUXTON posted:

It works like credit, if you're a grown-rear end adult.

Why does everyone try to draw analogies to household spending for every single political issue? Making these comparisons oversimplifies and disregards that the externalities are never felt by the same people who are the biggest causes of the problems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BougieBitch posted:

Why does everyone try to draw analogies to household spending for every single political issue? Making these comparisons oversimplifies and disregards that the externalities are never felt by the same people who are the biggest causes of the problems.

It oversimplifies it because it's an attempt to explain a complex issue to an overly simple person. If they cared about discussing the issue honestly or in any level of detail they wouldn't be rolling into the discourse bitching about how much all this like, totally lame mitigation effort stuff costs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But Al Gore has a big house, so climate data is invalid.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

But Al Gore has a big house, so climate data is invalid.

No, but oddly enough, the ones preaching for the most transformative solutions (for the rest of us) also happen to have ridiculous carbon footprints (for themselves). I'd say 'makes you think' but it's about as surprising as the plot to animal farm at this point.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pauline Kael posted:

No, but oddly enough, the ones preaching for the most transformative solutions (for the rest of us) also happen to have ridiculous carbon footprints (for themselves). I'd say 'makes you think' but it's about as surprising as the plot to animal farm at this point.

Except the actual climate scientists, in many cases. I mean, Al Gore is mostly a celebrity who happens to beat the drum for a non-terrible cause.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

I'm sure there are frugal scientists pushing solutions. Our society pays attention to rich people though. I'd like that to be different as well.

e: too slow :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BougieBitch posted:

Why does everyone try to draw analogies to household spending for every single political issue?

The best part being that the household budget is so often compared to things is absolutely not like at all. Like the US Federal Budget.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Al Gore is rich, it is a complex story

http://www.fastcompany.com/60067/al-gores-100-million-makeover

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

I bet a stiff surcharge on energy usage beyond a reasonable amount would rein in Al Gore's energy-extravagant ways that vex you so, is that what you're proposing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

I bet a stiff surcharge on energy usage beyond a reasonable amount would rein in Al Gore's energy-extravagant ways that vex you so, is that what you're proposing?

He's talking about Freedom and Liberty :freep:

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Pauline Kael posted:

Question: do you think this is a systemic problem or no? Are first-world countries going to have to make any culture-wide or economy-wide changes to appropriately address climate change, in your opinion?

Your Sledgehammer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

It'd have to be real stiff with all that Saudi oil money in which he's awash after selling his lovely TV network to them. I'm proposing that the people who are shrieking the loudest that this is a crisis, start acting like it is. I'm sure once celebrities and luminaries like Al Gore move into sub 1500 sq ft homes and take public transportation (and stop eating meat!) perhaps the culture will stop completely ignoring Climate Change

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

It'd have to be real stiff with all that Saudi oil money in which he's awash after selling his lovely TV network to them. I'm proposing that the people who are shrieking the loudest that this is a crisis, start acting like it is. I'm sure once celebrities and luminaries like Al Gore move into sub 1500 sq ft homes and take public transportation (and stop eating meat!) perhaps the culture will stop completely ignoring Climate Change

Here's the thing: Nobody trying to push for solutions about Climate Change gives a poo poo about Al Gore. He's just a vocal supporter. That's it. Is he a hypocrite? Like many politicians, yes.

But the fact that you brought up Al Gore basically means you are trying to setup a straw man, and the favorite straw man for arguing against Climate Change is to point at Al Gore.

So that's a nice strawman, but Al Gore is inconsequential to the actual reality of Climate Change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Question: do you think this is a systemic problem or no? Are first-world countries going to have to make any culture-wide or economy-wide changes to appropriately address climate change, in your opinion?

Define have to? Nope, I doubt you see much change in first-world behavior. The more hysterical predictions fall by the wayside, the more people tune it out. It's hard to imagine that in a democracy that anybody is going to get elected on a platform of lets get poor and suffer

• Locked thread