Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Am I correct that you don't need to pay to connect to a WebEx or GoToMeeting session (i.e. you can download a client for free), you only need to have paid if you're hosting? That's what the FAQs seem to indicate, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Am I correct that you don't need to pay to connect to a WebEx or GoToMeeting session (i.e. you can download a client for free), you only need to have paid if you're hosting? That's what the FAQs seem to indicate, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

That's correct.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know that you can arrange mail forwarding with the post office for your new address, but is there a way to have them only deliver mail to your current residence that belongs to designated people (just me)? I keep getting mail for my old roommate's ex-wife and a few other people that were apparently past tenants for the duplex I live in and I'd like that to stop (and I'd like them to get their letters :)). I've told my old roommate about his ex and I keep writing 'wrong address' and blacking out the street address for the other people's letters but the same people keep having stuff delivered here.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I recently signed up for new health insurance for me and my husband through healthcare.gov. We just got our new insurance cards (BCBS FL) and they only have my name on them, I guess because I was the one who filled out all the forms. With every other insurance policy we've had, he would get one with his name on it and I would get one with my name on it, even though the insurance was coming from my job. I called BCBS and they said no, that's normal, he can just carry around the card with my name on it and he won't have any trouble getting coverage. I'm a bit skeptical because we don't share the same last name or anything, but what do I know. Is this the way insurance works, now?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Florida Betty posted:

I recently signed up for new health insurance for me and my husband through healthcare.gov. We just got our new insurance cards (BCBS FL) and they only have my name on them, I guess because I was the one who filled out all the forms. With every other insurance policy we've had, he would get one with his name on it and I would get one with my name on it, even though the insurance was coming from my job. I called BCBS and they said no, that's normal, he can just carry around the card with my name on it and he won't have any trouble getting coverage. I'm a bit skeptical because we don't share the same last name or anything, but what do I know. Is this the way insurance works, now?

My dad has insurance through BCBS in NJ, and all of the cards, my mom's, mine and my siblings' have his name on it. I don't think it's all that uncommon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Florida Betty posted:

Most insurances will either issue separate cards or list all dependents on each card. When he goes to a provider, they should verify his coverage anyway.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Thank you both, that's good to know. I'm just so tired of dealing with health insurance BS by this point I'm glad to know it's not going to be a problem.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I send an email to someone with a file attached, problem is the file arrived empty, what the hell causes this? Is this something to do with Microsoft Word?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an insurance-ish question. I work at Home Depot. We had a storm last week, and one of the flower nursery carts got loose. Scratched my car and busted the mirror. I filed a claim with the store. I got an estimate from the dealer, $2900, sent it to the claims lady. She said I needed two estimates, I said the dealer said I only needed one by state law. She said company policy said 2. I figured screw it I'll get the second. I did and it came to $1600. I got a call from the claims lady and now I'm getting a check for the lower estimate. I feel hosed. What do I do?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Get it fixed at the place that quoted you $1600?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Florida Betty posted:

I used to work help desk for BCBS about 5 years ago, and this was the way the cards were always set up. The card shows the primary insured, but the secondary people are listed on the account if a doctor looks them up.

If you are concerned about it, the back of the card should have a website on it (probably bcbsfl.com or something similar.). From there I think he can register his information and then print out a copy of the card with his name on it. Everything will still technically be in your name, but his copy will have his name. It's been a while so things have probably changed a little bit, but that should be there somewhere.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have an insurance-ish question. I work at Home Depot. We had a storm last week, and one of the flower nursery carts got loose. Scratched my car and busted the mirror. I filed a claim with the store. I got an estimate from the dealer, $2900, sent it to the claims lady. She said I needed two estimates, I said the dealer said I only needed one by state law. She said company policy said 2. I figured screw it I'll get the second. I did and it came to $1600. I got a call from the claims lady and now I'm getting a check for the lower estimate. I feel hosed. What do I do?

I'm not sure how you're getting hosed? The store is still paying for the repairs to your car, they just are going for the option that costs them less. It's the entire reason they ask for two quotes.

If the second quote was for $3000 and the store was paying the $2900 would you still feel hosed? Or were you thinking that you were going to drive your car with the damage as is and pocket the check?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Your mistake was not getting 3 or 4 estimates and then submitting the 2 largest ones. Then when they cut you the check you get it fixed at the cheapest of the 4. Or buy the parts and do it yourself.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

I know that you can arrange mail forwarding with the post office for your new address, but is there a way to have them only deliver mail to your current residence that belongs to designated people (just me)? I keep getting mail for my old roommate's ex-wife and a few other people that were apparently past tenants for the duplex I live in and I'd like that to stop (and I'd like them to get their letters :)). I've told my old roommate about his ex and I keep writing 'wrong address' and blacking out the street address for the other people's letters but the same people keep having stuff delivered here.

I hate moving for this very reason, everyone who rents an apartment before me apparently has a million accounts in collections, court violations, and 50 catalog subscriptions.

My mail carrier told me if you write the names of the current residents on your mailbox, the carrier is not supposed to deliver mail with anyone else's name. That takes care of a good chunk of it. Anything else that gets through, keep doing what you're doing. Write wrong address and send it back. You'll eventually get less and less. I've heard that you can also fill out a change of address form for them at the post office, and for the new address write "moved, left no forwarding address," but a I've never done it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

My mail carrier told me if you write the names of the current residents on your mailbox, the carrier is not supposed to deliver mail with anyone else's name. That takes care of a good chunk of it. Anything else that gets through, keep doing what you're doing. Write wrong address and send it back. You'll eventually get less and less. I've heard that you can also fill out a change of address form for them at the post office, and for the new address write "moved, left no forwarding address," but a I've never done it.

This unintentionally worked for me...some of my girlfriend's mail after she moved in never got to her. Not all of it, just a couple things, like her driver's license. She called them after it never showed up and they said it was rejected because a different name was on the mailbox.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Is there a thread for sports history? Specifically baseball history?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I thought there once was a Chinese/Mandarin megathread, but I couldn't find it so...

This is a storefront/business in a nondescript commercial area off the main drag in Omaha, NE. Googling the address didn't turn up anything. It never appears to be open and those curtains are always closed.

Can anyone translate?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

I thought there once was a Chinese/Mandarin megathread, but I couldn't find it so...

This is a storefront/business in a nondescript commercial area off the main drag in Omaha, NE. Googling the address didn't turn up anything. It never appears to be open and those curtains are always closed.

Can anyone translate?

There are several (semi?) fluent people in the gbs China thread.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I have this old office chair that has arms that I believe are made of ABS plastic (black, kinda grainy-looking). One of the arms is broken. What kind of glue would I need to use to fix it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Super glue works well on plastic. Gorilla glue is probably the best one in my experience. If the break is really big glue alone might not work though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Real Name Grover posted:

Can anyone translate?

Can't translate, but I think that flower is a connection to Taiwan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

NESguerilla posted:

Super glue works well on plastic. Gorilla glue is probably the best one in my experience. If the break is really big glue alone might not work though.

It's snapped clean through so I'm going to have to add some extra support.

Thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kurtofan posted:

I send an email to someone with a file attached, problem is the file arrived empty, what the hell causes this? Is this something to do with Microsoft Word?

So, you created a Word document and emailed it as an attachment, and when the person you sent it to opened it there was no text in it? I have no idea what could cause that, but did you try resending it? Or putting it on Dropbox or something?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kurtofan posted:

To add to Tiggum's question, how did you send it? Drag'n'drop to an Outlook email? Press the paperclip icon in Outlook? Email from inside Word (File>Save & Send>Send Using E-mail)? Attach to a gmail message?

It could also be a problem with the recipient working at a place that has an incredibly strict email attachments policy. A lot of places don't allow any attachments because of the number of times they've been hit by viruses and the like.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's snapped clean through so I'm going to have to add some extra support.

Thanks.

Also check the plumbing section at the hardware store for ABS cement. A small dowel may help add some support, but it could be tricky to make sure the holes are lined up properly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tiggum posted:

So, you created a Word document and emailed it as an attachment, and when the person you sent it to opened it there was no text in it? I have no idea what could cause that, but did you try resending it? Or putting it on Dropbox or something?

I resent it and it came out fine this time. I figure it's because I made a draft of the message before sending it the first time: the draft has the attachments fully loaded, while the actually sent message has empty attachments.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

stubblyhead posted:

Also check the plumbing section at the hardware store for ABS cement. A small dowel may help add some support, but it could be tricky to make sure the holes are lined up properly.

The arm cracked around the screw hole at an angle. It's pretty thick, so I'm going to use a repair plate and some small bolts on the top and bottom.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Best website for buying contacts?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If there is an emergency situation in a mental institution, such as a fire, if the alarms are tripped, do the patient rooms open automatically? Or does someone still have to unlock the cells from the main security office?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

CzarChasm posted:

If there is an emergency situation in a mental institution, such as a fire, if the alarms are tripped, do the patient rooms open automatically? Or does someone still have to unlock the cells from the main security office?

Planning your escape?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

The arm cracked around the screw hole at an angle. It's pretty thick, so I'm going to use a repair plate and some small bolts on the top and bottom.

Good luck. JB Weld is good stuff too, maybe consider that as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dragyn posted:

Planning your escape?

Someone else's :)

From what I've seen depictions of in movies and shows, mental institutions don't usually have the 10ft barbed wire fence around the perimeter, but they do tend to have the locking doors with a central control station that can lock/unlock all doors at once. I'm guessing that the second option is there specifically for emergencies where people need to get to safety. I'm wondering, is it as simple as pulling a fire alarm, or does a person still need to press the big "UNLOCK ALL CELLS" button somewhere?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CzarChasm posted:

Someone else's :)

From what I've seen depictions of in movies and shows, mental institutions don't usually have the 10ft barbed wire fence around the perimeter, but they do tend to have the locking doors with a central control station that can lock/unlock all doors at once. I'm guessing that the second option is there specifically for emergencies where people need to get to safety. I'm wondering, is it as simple as pulling a fire alarm, or does a person still need to press the big "UNLOCK ALL CELLS" button somewhere?
What you're describing is a prison. If the people in there need locking up like that, there's no way they'll leave in a stupid backdoor to start a riot like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

What you're describing is a prison. If the people in there need locking up like that, there's no way they'll leave in a stupid backdoor to start a riot like that.

There are involuntary mental patients in particular wards of psych hospitals who are locked in as well.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I work in a hospital that has a lock-down psychiatric unit. If the fire alarm goes off in that area then yes the unit front door and back stairwell automatically unlock. Patient rooms are locked by key and will remain locked. Every door in my hospital is fire rated for 90 minutes and we tell people that if they can't evacuate an area to close the door and wait for help, so patient locked in their rooms are safe from smoke, gases, fire, etc.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

CzarChasm posted:

It depends on the local Authority Having Jurisdiction, but typically the access control system is connected to the fire alarm system in such a way that an alarm will trigger a release function on the locks. For especially secure areas (prisons) there is usually a smoke control system of some sort (as well as fire doors and fire walls) that keeps smoke/fire from spreading so that prisoners at immediate risk can be evacuated and everyone else shelters in place until an escort arrives to clear them out of the area.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

alnilam posted:

There are involuntary mental patients in particular wards of psych hospitals who are locked in as well.
Oh, I know. But walks like a duck, talks like a duck... will most likely have the same logic for the locking mechanisms of a duck. Is all I'm saying.

You don't want to have to count on the politeness of the people locked up not to trigger the fire alarm if they have the desire to get out. Not with people that legitimately needed to be locked up anyway. It's not like mentally ill people are necessarily too stupid to find out it would work like that or super considerate if they're locked up against their will.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Best website for buying contacts?

I like http://www.socialyup.com/facebook-friends/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Not sure if you're joking, but I was referring to vision correcting contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

couldcareless posted:

Not sure if you're joking, but I was referring to vision correcting contacts.

I like Coastal.com. They are not the cheapest, but the price-to-quality ratio is good.