Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be honest that's really not true. Goons love to say that and in some cases that may be how they really feel, but everybody has people who they watch the LPs of primarily because they like the person doing the LP. There's nothing WRONG with that or anything, I mean you can't control the reasons why you like something or someone, it's just that the general opinion, when you ask for it, says that the LP should be about the game primarily when that doesn't necessarily have to be true. I'm no exception; there are lots of let's plays that I watch primarily because I like the person doing the LP first and the game second.

Now, that doesn't mean that the game should just be background noise with the people talking about whatever a la Game Grumps because that kind of defeats the point of SA having standards of quality entirely. But it's pertinently false that the LP HAS to be about the game first and not the LPer for people on SA to like or tolerate or enjoy it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think it's useful as a piece of advice to people starting out, in that you shouldn't try to force a personality, and that if you focus on the game then you can let your personality come out more organically. But certainly there are plenty of LPers I watch chiefly because I think they're fun to watch, and if I learn about the game they're playing then that's a bonus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, yeah, forcing anything about the LP will make it crappy and make people hate you. It's gotta be natural, like a nice, hairy chest or back.

Hopefully my aforementioned playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line will be as hairy back-y as I hope it turns out I dunno I haven't even recorded it yet cough cough

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Really I think it's that what people are actually looking for in an LP isn't entirely straightforward to articulate, so people tend to fall back on "it should be about the game" as the standard explanation, even though it's clearly not the entire truth and ultimately probably not a great explanation. That being said I don't know how to explain it. I feel like there is a qualitative difference, but damned if I can put it into words.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

"Once you run out of respawn tokens you have to restart the entire bloody level"
TB is baffled by the concept of lives in a video game.

To be fair, the way the game plays out and handles its respawn system is really baffling and frustrating, and the levels seem annoying long for such a system.

You start out with 0 respawn tokens. You earn them only by completing optional objectives (kill everyone in a specific locations) that you receive by wandering into the vicinity of an objective, so you won't even know the objective is available until you stumble upon it. Complete it, now you have a respawn token. If you die, it looks like the respawn sends you to the location to completed the objective at, so you could be sent far away from where you died.

His video lasted almost a half hour and he didn't even appear to finish the one level he played. And he was playing on easy. He might not have been trying to hard since it was just an impressions video, but that seemed pretty damning that it wasn't a very good system.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Really I think it's that what people are actually looking for in an LP isn't entirely straightforward to articulate, so people tend to fall back on "it should be about the game" as the standard explanation, even though it's clearly not the entire truth and ultimately probably not a great explanation. That being said I don't know how to explain it. I feel like there is a qualitative difference, but damned if I can put it into words.
It's about the presentation!

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jamesman posted:

To be fair, the way the game plays out and handles its respawn system is really baffling and frustrating, and the levels seem annoying long for such a system.

You start out with 0 respawn tokens. You earn them only by completing optional objectives (kill everyone in a specific locations) that you receive by wandering into the vicinity of an objective, so you won't even know the objective is available until you stumble upon it. Complete it, now you have a respawn token. If you die, it looks like the respawn sends you to the location to completed the objective at, so you could be sent far away from where you died.

His video lasted almost a half hour and he didn't even appear to finish the one level he played. And he was playing on easy. He might not have been trying to hard since it was just an impressions video, but that seemed pretty damning that it wasn't a very good system.

The optional objectives are marked on the radar. They're the little white icons.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You could probably identify a half-dozen different things people look for in LPs. There's the personality stuff, the "people shooting the poo poo" style, the "skill run" or "informative" style, probably others I can't even think of. Usually when "it's about the game first" comes up I think "Informative" and that's the kind I go for, generally.

I guess a useful starting point would be to identify these more properly. It would at least make searching for LPs easier.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

"Once you run out of respawn tokens you have to restart the entire bloody level"
TB is baffled by the concept of lives in a video game.

What are checkpoints?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Really I think for me the point where I lose interest is when the player seems to just not care about the game at all. As if the game is entirely incidental to what's going on. Whether or not I'll watch is still up to whether the LPer is doing something interesting with it or not, and a lot of that is personality, but if all I wanted was variety comedy I'd be watching a panel show or something. Make the game part of it one way or another, yo. I guess that's why I find Game Grumps so insufferable... half the time it seems they just don't give a poo poo about what they're playing and just want to make fart jokes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I used to watch LPs/streams because of the person doing them, but at this point I can't stand to watch unless I have an interest in the game they're playing, the only exceptions being TieTuesday and Supergreatfriend.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Cheez posted:

Those first two still focused on the games. They were fun to watch because their style complemented the game and they didn't try to overshadow it. Among other things, the freelance astronauts thing was mostly multiplayer games, where it was entirely natural in the first place.

Retsupurae has gently caress all to do with any of this and you're retarded if you think it is. It's a completely different concept.

agreed thats why each of them kept having lots of views and fans was because they picked very good games. it was the games people were interested in, not the groups, they just happened to keep picking th exact games people wanted to watch everytime.

or people liked them as groups regardless of the games they played and SA is just the same as youtube because we are all human idiots...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

agreed thats why each of them kept having lots of views and fans was because they picked very good games. it was the games people were interested in, not the groups, they just happened to keep picking th exact games people wanted to watch everytime.

or people liked them as groups regardless of the games they played and SA is just the same as youtube because we are all human idiots...
No, SA is better. It's better than YouTube. It's better than Twitter. It's better than Tumblr. It's better than Reddit. It's better than 4chan. It's better than FARK. It's better than Ebaumsworld. It's better than YTMND. It's better than GameFAQs. It's better. We're better for posting on it. We're better and our site is better and it's okay and good to wrap our identities up in it, to make this website the whole of our selves and the thing that sets us apart and makes us unique and allows us to look down on all the more successful, happier people we deal with every day.

What a wonderful website.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, SA is better. It's better than YouTube. It's better than Twitter. It's better than Tumblr. It's better than Reddit. It's better than 4chan. It's better than FARK. It's better than Ebaumsworld. It's better than YTMND. It's better than GameFAQs. It's better. We're better for posting on it. We're better and our site is better and it's okay and good to wrap our identities up in it, to make this website the whole of our selves and the thing that sets us apart and makes us unique and allows us to look down on all the more successful, happier people we deal with every day.

I'm sort of surprised how many people add _____SA to the end (or start sometimes) or their usernames on other platforms, to the point that I think I even saw somebody do it for an SA account. :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am Dabir and this is my Face of Goonism.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

sout posted:

I'm sort of surprised how many people add _____SA to the end (or start sometimes) or their usernames on other platforms, to the point that I think I even saw somebody do it for an SA account. :shrug:

To be fair, I kinda have to do that since "Mega64" is already taken at a surprising amount of places these days.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mega64 posted:

To be fair, I kinda have to do that since "Mega64" is already taken at a surprising amount of places these days.

I'm not super against it or anything, I just see it a lot.
Also isn't "Mega64" used by a relatively large YT channel? I guess it makes sense it's so hard to claim that name then

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Honestly, the reason I prefer SA to other LP options is the forum interactivity. Yeah, you can leave comments, but it isn't anywhere near the forum style, and I like being able to have conversations with thw LPer. I might be a weirdo.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Choco1980 posted:

Honestly, the reason I prefer SA to other LP options is the forum interactivity. Yeah, you can leave comments, but it isn't anywhere near the forum style, and I like being able to have conversations with thw LPer. I might be a weirdo.

Which LP'r are you stalking?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Actually, I agree. I hadn't posted an SA LP proper in a long time, but I way prefer reading the forum comments than the YouTube ones.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Actually, I agree. I hadn't posted an SA LP proper in a long time, but I way prefer reading the forum comments than the YouTube ones.

I'd chalk that up to SA having basic moderation compared to YouTube's shithole comment's section where all the worst people come together.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Without sarcasm, SA is better than YouTube comments.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Having just read a lot of dumb poo poo in the Fallout threads I don't knooooooow.
But yeah, probably, because people get called out on poo poo more often here I would guess.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you name even one thing that YouTube comments are better than though? Saying that 1 > 0 might be true, but it doesn't say anything impressive about 1.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not all comments are neo-Nazis so they're better than Stormfront.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Attestant posted:

Which LP'r are you stalking?

The guys doing all the final fantasy games in order, why do you ask?

:ironicat:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Can you name even one thing that YouTube comments are better than though? Saying that 1 > 0 might be true, but it doesn't say anything impressive about 1.

Tumblr posts, certain tweets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reddit is pretty bad, I saw a recent thing where they pieced together random bits of information Danny mentioned on Game Grumps episodes to try to diagnose why he was at a doctor recently. It's basically youtube comments except organized.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

FactsAreUseless posted:

counterpoint: you can turn youtube comments off

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

Reddit is pretty bad, I saw a recent thing where they pieced together random bits of information Danny mentioned on Game Grumps episodes to try to diagnose why he was at a doctor recently. It's basically youtube comments except organized.

I mean, Reddit is the site that was OK with pedophilia for years and didn't shut down a subreddit dedicated to it and also whose community claimed some random guy was behind the Boston Marathon bombing without much in the way of evidence.

People are idiots, people on the internet are even bigger idiots.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Unfunny Poster posted:

I mean, Reddit is the site that was OK with pedophilia for years and didn't shut down a subreddit dedicated to it and also whose community claimed some random guy was behind the Boston Marathon bombing without much in the way of evidence.

People are idiots, people on the internet are even bigger idiots.

It's probably the result of having such a large free-form community.

I mean in a smaller more tightly controlled community, stuff like, say, a dogfucker remaining unbanned for years, or a mod turning out to be a child rapist, or someone being driven to suicide by other posters would never happen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's probably the result of having such a large free-form community.

I mean in a smaller more tightly controlled community, stuff like, say, a dogfucker remaining unbanned for years, or a mod turning out to be a child rapist, or someone being driven to suicide by other posters would never happen.

Did you miss the part about "people are idiots" or something?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Did you miss the part about "people are idiots" or something?
Self-fulfilling prophecy. No place or people are infallible and things will slip through; it's just that for the most part at SA we don't actively defend and encourage pedo's rights.

Stux posted:

counterpoint: you can turn youtube comments off
I'm pretty sure you can turn off the forums too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Making such sweeping generalizations such as "Reddit is terrible" or "Tumblr posts are terrible" is useless and counterproductive, especially if it's the sort of website that attracts lots of people; it's not fair to judge them all because you feel like focusing on the worst of the bunch.

I have seen posts on Tumblr that are nothing but huge lists of suicide hotlines, created in the hopes that they could stop someone from killing themselves, on top of interesting facts about arthropods, historically accurate dresses and funny gifs featuring weasels. This is because I follow the sort of Tumblr blogs that produce this sort of content. If you follow stupid Tumblr blogs you will receive stupid things.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

Making such sweeping generalizations such as "Reddit is terrible" or "Tumblr posts are terrible" is useless and counterproductive, especially if it's the sort of website that attracts lots of people; it's not fair to judge them all because you feel like focusing on the worst of the bunch.

"Your posting is terrible", on the other hand...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately internet hyperbole refuses to allow people to accept that all websites that are a congregation of people have good and bad users and good and bad events, not because of the quality of the website, but because that's just what human beings are like.

edit: Joke's on them though, I'm actually a squid. So I don't count.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

I'm actually a squid.

I thought you were a kid.

Edit - In case you don't get the reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90bDDLO094

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reddit is bad because the upvoting thing is just an awful system, regardless of what the userbase is like.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't think anyone is saying the entirety of reddit or tumblr is terrible. People say goons are awful all the time but still post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Reddit is bad because the upvoting thing is just an awful system, regardless of what the userbase is like.

It makes having an actual discussion there almost impossible.

• Locked thread