Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LordHippoman posted:

D'awww. As someone who loves MM2 I'm glad Bubble Man gets a happy ending after being such a dork. Hopefully they can afford the same thing for Top M-

Oh. :smith:

I like that guys like Top Man and Magnet Man were just all 'yea and what the gently caress good are some of us' because yea not everyone with a 'I WAS BUILT ONLY FOR BATTLE' has a cool badass warrior thing going on, some of them are just really dumb rear end specific weapons.

I should read Megaman I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you actually read the instruction manuals for the games, everyone but the Robot Masters from MM2 and MM5 actually do have a purpose besides "Crush Mega Man!". Top Man does space research!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

If you actually read the instruction manuals for the games, everyone but the Robot Masters from MM2 and MM5 actually do have a purpose besides "Crush Mega Man!". Top Man does space research!

And Honestly, Quick Man's kinda right about being the only one specifically not designed for anything but combat. You can mostly guess for the rest of the MM2 bosses their original purpose. Even Crash Man, a demolitions expert, has a lot of practical use.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

Counterpoint, Star Man, he does space stuff and also is not a loving top.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
What's Shadow Mans deal? Why, out of their 'batch', was he the only one who did want to live?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

And Honestly, Quick Man's kinda right about being the only one specifically not designed for anything but combat. You can mostly guess for the rest of the MM2 bosses their original purpose. Even Crash Man, a demolitions expert, has a lot of practical use.

Bzzt! While you could probably assign most of the MM2 cast to productive jobs, they were specifically created as war machines based on the specs of the original 6 robot masters.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Counterpoint, Star Man, he does space stuff and also is not a loving top.

He's designed to fight optimally in space, that's about all he does. Top Man has gyroscopes in him! They gyrate for science!

shelper posted:

What's Shadow Mans deal? Why, out of their 'batch', was he the only one who did want to live?

Shadow Man has an extremely weird origin in the games that the comic is obviously running with: Dr. Wily sort of just found him, and gave him a ninja outfit. He's not sure who built him, but it might be aliens.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Also, the comic explicitly states that Light got his start in robotics by building robots for the military, and he sees that as a shameful thing. It's what he had to do to get the funding to break into the civilian field, but he's understandably very uncomfortable with combat robots of any kind.

Honestly, Mega Man is an amazing comic, and is probably the best look at the ethics of AI and Robotics I've ever seen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You know I just realized with what's been established so far, Skull Man's story when they get to Mega Man 4 is going to be just plain tragic, both due to being one of the only Robot Masters built 100% for combat purposes to an extent even beyond Quick Man, as well as his relations with not only his brothers amongst the other 4th Numbers, but with his creator Dr Cossack as well(cause the rest of the 4th Numbers are preexisting Robot Masters that were modified for combat purposes, while Skull Man was something that Dr Wiley forced Dr Cossack to create under duress), so the Mega Man 4 arc is going to be a fairly heavy one as well in all likelihood

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

shelper posted:

He's a special case--he was found by Wily (I think) and is the only Robot Master not built alongside all the others. He has a ~*mysterious origin*~.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

You know I just realized with what's been established so far, Skull Man's story when they get to Mega Man 4 is going to be just plain tragic, both due to being one of the only Robot Masters built 100% for combat purposes to an extent even beyond Quick Man, as well as his relations with not only his brothers amongst the other 4th Numbers, but with his creator Dr Cossack as well(cause the rest of the 4th Numbers are preexisting Robot Masters that were modified for combat purposes, while Skull Man was something that Dr Wiley forced Dr Cossack to create under duress), so the Mega Man 4 arc is going to be a fairly heavy one as well in all likelihood

The manga did this story. Cossack was so ashamed of building Skull Man that he sealed him away. After Wily released him, Skull Man was obsessed with killing his creator so Mega Man was forced to put him down like a rabid dog. :(

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 28, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

The manga did this story. Cossack was so ashamed of building Skull Man that he sealed him away. After Wily released him, Skull Man was obsessed with killing his creator so Mega Man was forced to put him down like a rabid dog. :(

yeah that one's going to hurt, also some content;

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nothing too grandiose here, but this "Hark! A vagrant" comic about Kate Beaton's youth speaks to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kate Beaton could write a book about a farting pony and I would still read it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah Quick Man, you sure can't do anything useful. I mean Search and Rescue is for chumps, so it's much better to just die or whatever.

Gemini Man, too experimental? Yeah, kickass lasers have no application in the future. I mean Snakeman is becoming a topographer, but we sure can't find anything to do with cool bouncy lasers.

Shadow Man is going to reactivate all the other robots, because he is a sneaky ninja. Obvious Man is busy getting power cells or some poo poo, so he wasn't there to explain this to everyone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Atmus posted:

Yeah Quick Man, you sure can't do anything useful. I mean Search and Rescue is for chumps, so it's much better to just die or whatever.

Gemini Man, too experimental? Yeah, kickass lasers have no application in the future. I mean Snakeman is becoming a topographer, but we sure can't find anything to do with cool bouncy lasers.

Shadow Man is going to reactivate all the other robots, because he is a sneaky ninja. Obvious Man is busy getting power cells or some poo poo, so he wasn't there to explain this to everyone.
Personally I think the point would have come across better if it had only been Quick Man who had refused

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think the point would have come across better if it had only been Quick Man who had refused
Quickman refused because of his nature. A couple of the others refused because they had no interest in the civilian design they were built for. (Metal Man and Crash Man in particular.)

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
You'd think Dr. Light could have at least built Crash Man some hands.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Atmus posted:

Well Search and Rescue generally requires you to be aware of your surroundings. "Slam into at high speed and Return with smushy people bits" doesn't get as much funding.

Quick Man's eyes turn off when he runs. :v:

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2015

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

More good panels less Autism Robots.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Filboid Studge posted:

More good panels less Autism Robots.

Nobody's stopping you.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Quickman refused because of his nature.

In a way, he's fulfilling his programming. Look at that panel of him angrily glaring down at Mega Man while Mega Man is about to break down. Dude isn't even sorry. He doesn't feel bad or even appreciate the offer. He's destroying Mega Man and he doesn't even need boomerangs to do it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uthor posted:

Fat pony!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You're a real cruel bastid you know dat

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Uthor posted:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Princess-Pony-Kate-Beaton/dp/0545637082

Farts not confirmed, but hey.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

It says "farts" on the back cover! And I'm buying it "for my niece's birthday".

So I can read it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

I knew there was something I forgot about. Ordering this immediately.
Actually i should get all her books.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I like the Megaman comics posted in this thread. Post more. :unsmith:

There's a new Megaman cartoon coming made by the Ben10 guys. So I hope they base it off the comics you lads are posting

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Now if we can get The Protomen to do the opening theme while The Megas rock out over the end credits...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

.... Spawned '130 plus' games?

I didn't believe it so I went to wikipedia and, uh. Holy poo poo. There really have been a ridiculous goddamn amount of games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redbackground posted:

Now if we can get The Protomen to do the opening theme while The Megas rock out over the end credits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug88HO2mg44

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

redbackground posted:

Just re-use the opening from the German version of first cartoon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEBaAxO7W0

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BexGu posted:

Just re-use the opening from the German version of first cartoon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEBaAxO7W0

Or this version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqBoqEZ5hg

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Action Comics #41

Superman has had his secret identity exposed to the world, been almost completely powered down, and locked out of the Fortress of Solitude, which also sucked up his uniform.
It kinda blows to be Clark right now (except for getting hungry and eating a burrito for the first time and riding a sweet bike around America cause of the no flying) till he returns to Metropolis.

e:

Keeshhound posted:

Aw. :3:

I'm sure it'll all get undone and the status quo'll be restored in due time, but I really wish there were more superheros who were really a part of their community, instead of some external, psudo-omniscient force meting out judgement from on high.

Grant Morrison's Action Comics run about the start of SMan's career had a lot of that.
Basically, Superman should always be in jeans.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Today's Action Comics #41

Superman has had his secret identity exposed to the world, been almost completely powered down, and locked out of the Fortress of Solitude, which also sucked up his uniform.
It kinda blows to be Clark right now (except for getting hungry and eating a burrito for the first time and riding a sweet bike around America cause of the no flying) till he returns to Metropolis.

You missed the top part of the first page where it shows a good grasp of the Superman character

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Aw. :3:

I'm sure it'll all get undone and the status quo'll be restored in due time, but I really wish there were more superheros who were really a part of their community, instead of some external, psudo-omniscient force meting out judgement from on high.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain America and Black Panther both tried to do the part of the community thing, but it didn't take. And Bendis had New Avengers talk about doing that, and everyone reading thought it was an awesome idea, so he never revisited the concept at all and instead wrote about Norman Osborn for 50 years.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If only there was someone friendly from my own neighbourhood.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Infinitum posted:

If only there was someone friendly from my own neighbourhood.

Constantine?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like it. I mean really, if there was ever a character who didn't need a secret identity, it's probably Superman.

Yeah, I know, protect his loved ones, yadda, yadda. But really, everyone knows you don't ever gently caress with Superman's friends. Either 1) Superman will just save them anyway, 2a) If you do hurt them, you'll just be the number one target for arguably the strongest person in the universe or 2b) One of Superman's friends will make your life a living hell, because anyone on Superman's nice list gets watched by the whole league.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If villains were in the business of rational decisions a lot of them wouldn't be villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

You have a very funny definition of friendly.