Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Majuju posted:

e: is SWA short-code for Secret Wars stuff in the shipping list?
Yep! Only Secret Wars itself is missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't worry, Marvel loves to switch numbering around all the time. So whenever a big issue comes up that would have been like issue 650 or 700 or something, Marvel will put it back to that for a little bit.

I think they should just put something like the current run over the total run, like 18/630 to make it easier to track and have that sense of wow that a large issue run gives.

They just need volume numbers or to start calling them Seasons. Injustice is sort of doing that with it's year by year. If year 5 issue 8 was a 50th issue super special, equivalent to a tv show's "LIVE MUSICAL 100th EPISODE DOUBLE LENGTH GALA" that'd be fine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I think they should just put something like the current run over the total run, like 18/630 to make it easier to track and have that sense of wow that a large issue run gives.
I'm confused as to when those numbers would be applied? To collected issues? (That information would then be out of date almost immediately.) Do one-shots count? I think it's actually an entirely too complicated effort to do succinctly and accurately over any period of time. But maybe I have completely misunderstood what you mean!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

I'm confused as to when those numbers would be applied? To collected issues? (That information would then be out of date almost immediately.) Do one-shots count? I think it's actually an entirely too complicated effort to do succinctly and accurately over any period of time. But maybe I have completely misunderstood what you mean!

Well let's say they relaunch Amazing Spider-Man with a new 1, and the previous issue of the last series was 638. So on the cover you'd have both of those on there.

Like a few years ago, X-Factor had issue 50, then a couple months later they were at issue 200 almost out of the blue because they added up all the previous issues of X-Factor and came to that. So at least you might have seen it coming if it was numbered 52/198.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

But then they can't market it as an ALL NEW NUMBER ONE COLLECTOR'S ITEM!!!, and that's the entire reason they do that crap.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Nevvy Z posted:

This is seriously the best event with the best tie ins since ever.

So far it really really is. Everything I've read so far has ranged from okay to really good with no stinkers whatsoever.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Don't worry, Marvel loves to switch numbering around all the time. So whenever a big issue comes up that would have been like issue 650 or 700 or something, Marvel will put it back to that for a little bit.

Yeah, I could get behind that. Maybe give each number a little label, like current series: 18 total series: 630. Then you could have done the badass moment of doing a 1/1 numbering on most of the secret wars books and really send the message that the marvel universe is dead, even if we know that it's going to be back with some changes and new characters mashed into it. You can also re-brand or relaunch a series without starting over from 1 and keep the same name.

Deadpool also immediately comes to mind for this type of numbering scheme, his comic has relaunched like 4 or 5 times and always kept the name Deadpool (aside from the Cable & Deadpool run), so it can be confusing trying to track it. If you say you're looking for Deadpool #5, there are 5 different choices. But with this numbering you would say you want Deadpool total series #62, or whatever, and then your local comic shop or online app or what have you will know you're looking for #5 from Deadpool series 2.

The current system isn't horribly flawed or anything, it just seems like you would want to flaunt the legacy of your comics while also making it easier for your dedicated, nerdy and occasionally obsessed fanbase to find the exact issue they're looking for. Plus you get new #1's all the time right now, so much like comic book deaths they rarely have meaning. If you were to end a total series number that's been around 10, 20, 30, or even 40+ years though, now that would have an impact and get collectors really scrambling to go after the relaunched title. Then again I think it's common knowledge that new #1 books are the easiest trick to use to encourage sales, so I'd probably just be killing the golden goose and Marvel would be forced to subsist on its multi-billion dollar film franchise like common paupers.

So yeah, the reason they don't do this is:

Lurdiak posted:

But then they can't market it as an ALL NEW NUMBER ONE COLLECTOR'S ITEM!!!, and that's the entire reason they do that crap.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom Brevoort posted:

We stopped doing that because it was fouled up so often that it became ridiculous. We have a hard enough time keeping track of one number, let alone two.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I always thought using TV-style "seasons" was an interesting idea. Have some way to denote on the cover which exact run it is you're buying. It's the same principle as volumes, but those were never used in any official capacity that I know of. Traditional style numbering is pointless and kind of needs to go away, but just renumbering to #1 every year isn't a great idea either.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Secret Wars #4 is being delayed 2 weeks, Secret Wars #5 6 weeks, and just about everything is being pulled with it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/31/secret-wars-4-slips-two-weeks-takes-other-crossover-series-with-it/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well let's say they relaunch Amazing Spider-Man with a new 1, and the previous issue of the last series was 638. So on the cover you'd have both of those on there.

Like a few years ago, X-Factor had issue 50, then a couple months later they were at issue 200 almost out of the blue because they added up all the previous issues of X-Factor and came to that. So at least you might have seen it coming if it was numbered 52/198.

They did this back in the early 2000s and it didn't really improve anything and there was always arguments over which issues counted towards the number and which didn't, so they stopped doing it. Brevoort addressed it on his Tumblr recently, actually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Secret Wars #4 is being delayed 2 weeks, Secret Wars #5 6 weeks, and just about everything is being pulled with it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/31/secret-wars-4-slips-two-weeks-takes-other-crossover-series-with-it/

Maybe should have done something to make sure the crossover that has changed the entire company's release schedule could be done on time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Boooo but lol at X-men slipping 20 weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

So far it really really is. Everything I've read so far has ranged from okay to really good with no stinkers whatsoever.

I dont know, I havent heard anyone say anything positive about Inferno.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

The preview had nice art! But as with almost all the X-Men tie-ins it was still a pass. Even though it centered on Colossus who is my favorite X-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who did this to you? Why are you so broken?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

SynthOrange posted:

It falls into the "decent, not horrible" range unless you loved new mutants and x-men in the 90's/00's like me in which case the whole Illiyana/Inferno and Mutant X thing hits you right in the nostalgia.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I went in with the lowest of expectations because of Hopeless and this thread saying they didn't like it. I found that I enjoyed it however. I like the idea that the X-Men are basically the security force that just patrols the surrounding area, and that Peter would just keep trying to save his sister. I thought that it seemed to get the characters right. The only thing I didn't like was that cheesy X on the hovercar.

I haven't read a bad issue of these tie-ins yet, this event is pretty awesome. It's like a summer long What-If collection.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I haven't actually liked almost any tie-in. As far as I can tell, these seem mostly What Ifs and I just end up not caring. A-Force might be good. Old Man Logan was really good. Ultimate The End could be going somewhere but it'll probably descend into Bendis-isms. Nothing has been bad but I just haven't really read a tie-in yet that I think I'll be re-reading at a later date.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found a fair few interesting enough to follow, but the only one that I outright enjoyed was MODOK.

SilverSupernova posted:

I am shocked that noone posted M.O.D.O.K. Assassin yet.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This is definitely an event with a tie-in for everyone. I didn't like infinity gauntlet as much as some other people here, but I liked Old Man Logan and Planet Hulk a lot. I'm interested to see where A-Force goes as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FYI, if you missed Secret Wars 0 on the FCBD it's now available for free on Comixology. It's a short little story about the kids from the Future Foundation and definitely worth a look.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Deadpool posted:

FYI, if you missed Secret Wars 0 on the FCBD it's now available for free on Comixology. It's a short little story about the kids from the Future Foundation and definitely worth a look.

Oh nice I went to look for it and it was already in my 'my books'

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently we'll have a rough idea of the post-Secret Wars universe on July 1st.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*amount of newness and difference not guaranteed. Contents may settle in transit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
One of the things I found interesting about this issue is the sheer number of different font styles used for dialogue that have been previously established mashing together. We have:
- regular all-caps 616 speech
- regular sentence-case 1610 speech (in a slightly different font)
- black word bubble with white type for Swan
- rough edged white word bubble with rough black border for Thanos
- slightly scripty font for the Thors
- Scott now speaks with a yellow word bubble and rough black border.

I think that's it, but Chris Elipoulos has his work cut out for him during this series.

Oh, and the issue itself is fantastic, natch.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo Sue

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress! gently caress yes! It's all starting to come apart. :unsmigghh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man, another great loving issue. This Sue is hardcore. Johnny Storm's story is all :stare:

Doom's awesome, Miles is awesome, everything is awesome. 8 month jump and now an 8 year jump. Hickman likes the number 8.

Also Reed is in no mood for this poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man, another great loving issue. This Sue is hardcore. Johnny Storm's story is all :stare:

Doom's awesome, Miles is awesome, everything is awesome. 8 month jump and now an 8 year jump. Hickman likes the number 8.

Also Reed is in no mood for this poo poo.

What is going to happen when Reed finds out where his wife and kids are?
Where are all the other Reeds? Is Doom's world one without Richards :doom:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Doom's world one without Richards :doom:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking that isn't going to end well.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

It is actually Himself

Also I love the statue that Strange made for the fallen Thor. I have to imagine he does that every time one dies.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Future Imperfect #1 is a pretty mediocre lead-in but I'll probably get #2 whenever it's out. All these establishing first issues are killin' my wallet.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

I thought Xtinction Agenda was pretty boring but I feel like it's leading to the end of x-men/mutants in the Marvel universe. They seemed to imply that if it wasn't controlled it would end mutants on Battleword.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Where are all the other Reeds? Is Doom's world one without Richards :doom:

I don't think those are 616's Susan and kids. It's not going to help and Reed is going to freak the gently caress out, but maybe it'll lessen the blow (it won't)

Stephen is taking this pretty calmly all things considered.

Phoenix Scott is awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think those are 616's Susan and kids. It's not going to help and Reed is going to freak the gently caress out, but maybe it'll lessen the blow (it won't)

Stephen is taking this pretty calmly all things considered.

Phoenix Scott is awesome.

I think they are based off the comments that they were created from leftovers during the incursions, and since they fell out of the ship they were part of the building blocks.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
What the gently caress Robinson? I know you can write much better comics than that. The most expositiony of exposition, where characters talk about their lives and problems as if they're the back of a novel that's sold in an airport.

And jeez Carol, awfully cavalier with calling other people stupid when you're sporting that haircut.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I think they are based off the comments that they were created from leftovers during the incursions, and since they fell out of the ship they were part of the building blocks.

Oh of that I'm sure but it's not like the raft survivors who ARE those characters from 616. Doom, Stephen, and the raft survivors are the only people that truly survived the end of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh of that I'm sure but it's not like the raft survivors who ARE those characters from 616. Doom, Stephen, and the raft survivors are the only people that truly survived the end of everything.

Yeah but I am thinking that they were created from our Sue and Co. It is them, but they do not remember what happened.

• Locked thread